The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh

+24
sirtidychris
LemonyVodka5
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Taffineastbourne
HERSH
bedfordwelsh
Moorsman
fa0019
offload
Seagultaf
maestegmafia
HongKongCherry
George Carlin
mr_stonelea
Ospreydragon
Coleman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Portnoy
Kenny
Morgannwg
Thomond
formerly known as Sam
ScarletSpiderman
wales606
28 posters

Go down

Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh Empty Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh

Post by wales606 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

Breaking news on the WRU facebook page.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh Empty Re: Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm

What does Henson or London Welsh have to do with the WRU? Its like London Welsh taking up the BBC Rugby Union 'WELSH' section up with their news.

Ohh sorry good news for both HEnson and LW
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh Empty Re: Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm

Be a good option for them. Lets hope he does better than his brief spell at Sarries.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

He was a very solid player at one tiem, a very decent centre. Hasn't really shown much in the last few years except a few flashes for the Blues but he could be decent for them. Wish him and LW the best.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:27 pm

Lets hope for Lyn Jones' and LW sake he doesn't do anything to screw it up and plays well on the pitch. I think it will be interesting to see that old Ospreys midfield reunited (assuming Parker is signing for them?). What do you reckon on Lyn chasing after Matthew Jones now?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

Matthew Jones is out of contract I believe.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

There was talk of Tom Voyce, who's now out of contract as well I believe

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh Empty Exiles sign Henson

Post by Kenny Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

Aviva Premiership new boys London Welsh have completed the signing of Wales international centre Gavin Henson.

Henson, 30, has been without a club since April after being sacked by Cardiff Blues over his drunken behaviour on a flight returning from a game in Glasgow.

But Henson, who worked with Exiles coach Lyn Jones during his time at the Ospreys, has now been given the latest in a series of chances to get his career back on track.

"Gavin has a great talent but over the past three or four seasons he has not realised his full potential for a number of reasons that are well documented," Jones stated.

"I sincerely hope and believe he can now draw a line under that period and move forward again with London Welsh."
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

I am sure that English fans will treat Gav with the respect that he deserves.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:47 pm

Portnoy wrote:I am sure that English fans will treat Gav with the respect that he deserves.

Is Tait going to be fit for the first match of the season? I am sure Henson will want to re-introduce himself to him.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

If fit and selected, SS, I'm pretty sure that Matt won't be sad to reintroduce himself either now that he's a man. Wink
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Portnoy wrote:I am sure that English fans will treat Gav with the respect that he deserves.

Is Tait going to be fit for the first match of the season? I am sure Henson will want to re-introduce himself to him.

Come on what do you think the chances of Tait being fit are? Hell get injured walking on the pitch before Henson can get near him

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Come on what do you think the chances of Tait being fit are? Hell get injured walking on the pitch before Henson can get near him

That's probably true SS. Let's just hope that since his last meeting with the Tigers that the front row have forgotten the Moreno incident.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:06 pm

Port - yeah don't try and smash Gav off the ball and from behind, cos hell deck you even if you are a fatty. Laugh
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:07 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:What does Henson or London Welsh have to do with the WRU? Its like London Welsh taking up the BBC Rugby Union 'WELSH' section up with their news.

I thought London Welsh were members of the WRU and RFU, if so, they're one of very few Professional Welsh teams.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

His signing for London Welsh was just confirmed on BBC Wales news.

There were suggestions in the media that he was prepared to sign for just 50,000 a year to revive his career. Great news. If Lyn J can't get the best out of him, no one will. He just needs games and must avoid injury.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

Coleman wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:What does Henson or London Welsh have to do with the WRU? Its like London Welsh taking up the BBC Rugby Union 'WELSH' section up with their news.

I thought London Welsh were members of the WRU and RFU, if so, they're one of very few Professional Welsh teams.

And cue me feeling twp! Doh
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:16 pm

So in his first game, he will find himself up against Manu Tuilagi?? Hmmmmmm that's going to be interesting...

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:18 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Port - yeah don't try and smash Gav off the ball and from behind, cos hell deck you even if you are a fatty. Laugh

So long as Oxford don't start by stamping on our SH, I'm sure that everything'll be cushtie SS.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:27 pm

mr_stonelea wrote:So in his first game, he will find himself up against Manu Tuilagi?? Hmmmmmm that's going to be interesting...

Better him then me...

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:32 pm

Portnoy wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Port - yeah don't try and smash Gav off the ball and from behind, cos hell deck you even if you are a fatty. Laugh

So long as Oxford don't start by stamping on our SH, I'm sure that everything'll be cushtie SS.

Stamping, I thought it was some sort of mule-like kick at the scrum. One of the worst things I have seen on a pitch, up there with Callum Clarke and Duncan McRae (Waratahs V O'Gara).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:39 pm

Henson clearly has all the intellect of my baby daughter's recently saturated nappy but surely even he has to know that this is his last chance in the top tier European game.

What if LW had been unsuccessful in their appeal. Where would he be then? Personal training post-menopausal housewives in Bridgend?

I hope for LW's sake he keeps his head in, doesn't speak to the press and gives them the professional performances that they're presumably busting their budget to pay for.

Regular viewers of these boards may sense a personal dislike for Henson here. They'd be right.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:55 pm

For LW's sake I hope he's on a pay as you play contract! No better example of a prized prat who has pi55ed away a promising career in favour of a fake tan. More of a circus signing than a marquee signing!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

Rumours of LW offering Brett Deacon the former Glaws and Tigers number 8 a contract as well. He'd offer some grit and grunt to their backrow. Be interesting to see the two brothers go up against each other on the opening day of the season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:05 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Rumours of LW offering Brett Deacon the former Glaws and Tigers number 8 a contract as well. He'd offer some grit and grunt to their backrow. Be interesting to see the two brothers go up against each other on the opening day of the season.

On the Glaws grapevine it sounds like its going to happen, along with Voyce and the re-signing of Runciman.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:16 pm

mr_stonelea wrote:So in his first game, he will find himself up against Manu Tuilagi?? Hmmmmmm that's going to be interesting...

I thought he looked very good against Manu before he broke his wrist in the half of the match in Cardiff last summer.

Good luck to him and London Welsh.Lyn Jones has done a great job putting them in this position, let's see what he can do from here..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:35 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:For LW's sake I hope he's on a pay as you play contract! No better example of a prized prat who has pi55ed away a promising career in favour of a fake tan. More of a circus signing than a marquee signing!

Hugely talented but flawed individual. Now the wrong side of 30 so a few seasons left in him if he is lucky. A success measure at this stage of his career would be holding down a first choice positrion in the London Welsh Jeff team. The chances of him playing for Wales or the Lions are now highly unlikely, with JD2, Roberts, Beck, Scott Williams and Hook ahead of him for a centre berth.

There is no doubt that at his best he is a very good player but his best was 3 or 4 years ago. I hope for Lyn Jones sake that he concentrates on the rugby and is prepared to buckle down and learn what it takes to be a professional rugby player in 2012.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:For LW's sake I hope he's on a pay as you play contract! No better example of a prized prat who has pi55ed away a promising career in favour of a fake tan. More of a circus signing than a marquee signing!

Hugely talented but flawed individual. Now the wrong side of 30 so a few seasons left in him if he is lucky. A success measure at this stage of his career would be holding down a first choice positrion in the London Welsh Jeff team. The chances of him playing for Wales or the Lions are now highly unlikely, with JD2, Roberts, Beck, Scott Williams and Hook ahead of him for a centre berth.

There is no doubt that at his best he is a very good player but his best was 3 or 4 years ago. I hope for Lyn Jones sake that he concentrates on the rugby and is prepared to buckle down and learn what it takes to be a professional rugby player in 2012.

If he is the first choice centre with a flyhalf who wants to play a bit of rugby he might go well at LW. Also with a coach who has known him and coached him since he was 18.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

I've no time for Henson - waste of space. I fear that this whole sorry affair will end badly for LW (a real shame for a proud club) and I guess it's only fitting that the pantomime villain is there to play his part.
picard
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 7:21 pm

Going to be tough for him behind what I imagine will be a struggling pack (not that I know London Welsh but promoted sides tend to struggle there the most).

I reckon it won't last the season.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Moorsman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 7:25 pm

It's going to be interesting to see how the Welsh English team do. Although John Taylor is on record saying the Exeter model is one to follow they seem to be going about it in a totally different manner. I don't think Henson and the other 'name' players would fit the Chiefs ethos. Rob Baxter is still signing players with something to prove and yes I think you can include Dean Mumm in that. Comacho is the only 'shoe in' International with the others such as Craig Mitchell still trying to break through to to a regular starting place. I've left Tom Johnson out of this as he's come through the ranks as a Championship player.

Moorsman
Moorsman

http://www.thechiefstribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 09 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

I have always said that Lyn Jones has been one of the few coahces to be able to manage and get the best out of Henson so time will tell again I suppose.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:17 pm

I said months ago that Henson would end up at London Welsh Very Happy (and some people call me a wum)

I hope it works out for him, his the one Welsh player who 'on his day' is world class IMHO.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:01 pm

So pleased that this guy has one last chance.He has been a prize prat but has huge talent.Gavin,please just show it.
Sublime at his best,numpty at his lowest.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

Thats his fourth stint in last chance saloon in the last 2 years..... whats the chances after this one goes begging he ends up in either the EP Kings or Western Force??? Both need playmakers.

Not wishing this goes badly for him but I just don't see it working for him.. London Welsh are an old & famous club... but a very small one. How will he work with club captain Gordon Ross???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:13 pm

Who?

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:22 pm

HERSH wrote:Who?

Hersh, that says everything about you clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LemonyVodka5 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:01 pm

Henson should bottle his sweat and sell it!

I don't know why but I'm in the same mind as most people (I think...Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh Anxious) where I thought he was quite good, threw away a very promising career with some prima-donna TV / celeb-rag-mag antics and now has another chance given to him in top-flight rugby and yet......and yet......I still kind of guiltily /masochistically find myself hoping (I would say secretly but it's not exactly secret on a public forum! Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh Dizzy) hoping he does really well and shows everyone - including me - that he can still do what he almost did so many years ago.

It's got to be his pheremones....either that or I've unconsciously turned to the dark-side Gavin Henson signs for London Welsh Stunned

LemonyVodka5

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm

I don't like to wish anyone ill so I hope it turns out well for both player and club, having witnessed this guy bring trouble upon himself and his team wherever he goes I can't help but wonder why this time it will be any different ? How is his ego and team manner going to be as well walking in a team of championship players when he had trouble keeping it in check at Toulon.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:27 pm

fa0019 wrote:Thats his fourth stint in last chance saloon in the last 2 years..... whats the chances after this one goes begging he ends up in either the EP Kings or Western Force??? Both need playmakers.

Not wishing this goes badly for him but I just don't see it working for him.. London Welsh are an old & famous club... but a very small one. How will he work with club captain Gordon Ross???

The irony of Hersh's comment is that he is correct. Because Ross isn't LW captain Its Jonathon Mills.

All together now. WHO!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 10 Jul 2012, 5:56 am

sirtidychris wrote:I don't like to wish anyone ill so I hope it turns out well for both player and club, having witnessed this guy bring trouble upon himself and his team wherever he goes I can't help but wonder why this time it will be any different ? How is his ego and team manner going to be as well walking in a team of championship players when he had trouble keeping it in check at Toulon.
I fear for what the weight of expectation will do to his mindset, really hope that this doesnt backfire on LW

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:06 am

I think this signing was a gamble that London Welsh had to take. Unlike Exeter who had planned for promotion and had structures in place alongside a solid gameplan, London Welsh have come up and are behind the 8 ball from the start. The only chance they have of staying up is going down the superstar route and praying that they make some magic and can do enough to beat the other teams at the wrong end of the table.

If anybody is ever going to get something decent from Henson it is Lyn Jones, so this could be a masterstroke for them. Sadly, I have to say that I think over the course of a long season Henson is likely to implode, but I qualify that by saying that I would actually love him to prove me, and just about everyone else wrong this time.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 10 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
sirtidychris wrote:I don't like to wish anyone ill so I hope it turns out well for both player and club, having witnessed this guy bring trouble upon himself and his team wherever he goes I can't help but wonder why this time it will be any different ? How is his ego and team manner going to be as well walking in a team of championship players when he had trouble keeping it in check at Toulon.
I fear for what the weight of expectation will do to his mindset, really hope that this doesnt backfire on LW

Couldnt get any worse than it has been.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:20 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
HERSH wrote:Who?

Hersh, that says everything about you clap

Is this a dig?

Please feel free to make an apology if it was. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:50 am

so many want henson to fail.

he has been his own worst enemy in some cases. i am prepared to believe he want to put a gloss on a haphazard carrer with a good final couple of seasons. he is a young 30, having been out of the game for some time. he will have different strengths at his age and with some good coaching he could maximise their effect.

it will be almost imposible for someone in his possition to gain any more international honours. but this is gav we are talking about, a rare and exceptional talent. expect him to add to his tally of wales caps, and dont bet aginst him getting a run with the lions too(midweek side of course-im not totaly barmy)
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:05 am

I think this signing was a gamble that London Welsh had to take. Unlike Exeter who had planned for promotion and had structures in place alongside a solid gameplan, London Welsh have come up and are behind the 8 ball from the start. The only chance they have of staying up is going down the superstar route and praying that they make some magic and can do enough to beat the other teams at the wrong end of the table

+1 Ozzy. LW would love the setup Chiefs had when they came up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:23 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
I think this signing was a gamble that London Welsh had to take. Unlike Exeter who had planned for promotion and had structures in place alongside a solid gameplan, London Welsh have come up and are behind the 8 ball from the start. The only chance they have of staying up is going down the superstar route and praying that they make some magic and can do enough to beat the other teams at the wrong end of the table

+1 Ozzy. LW would love the setup Chiefs had when they came up.
Have to agree. I think the teams being promoted over the years provided great perspective for the terrific job Exeter had done in preparation for promotion. And, in fact, not just for promotion,but to compete afterwards.
Looks better all the time, doesn't it.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatically confused, prepositionally deficient)

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down