The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing's 5 greatest modern bullies!!!

+5
azania
owen10ozzy
Imperial Ghosty
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Boxing's 5 greatest modern bullies!!! Empty Boxing's 5 greatest modern bullies!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:58 pm

Bully seems to be the operative word today!!!

I'll give you my top 5 names that spring to mind in the modern gebneration who stick out as great bullies..........

1. Mike Tyson
2. Ricardo Mayorga
3. Azumah Nelson
4. Dwight Qawi
5. David haye

all guys that liked to be spiteful and belittle their foes....

Older ones probably Roberto takes precedence...If we haul back further..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Boxing's 5 greatest modern bullies!!! Empty Re: Boxing's 5 greatest modern bullies!!!

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:07 pm

1. Tyson
2. Mayorga
3. Mayweather Jr
4. Ali
5. Haye

Mayweather may be a different type. He just talks smack, beats people up, but has no real "power" so to speak.

Iron Mike will always be number one on this list,

I come close to putting you 2nd! Very Happy

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Boxing's 5 greatest modern bullies!!! Empty Re: Boxing's 5 greatest modern bullies!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:10 pm

Not really about power this thread....well not in the physical sense

But I thankyou for your contribution..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:12 pm

I'd add Hopkins and Morales

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:15 pm

Just ask mayweathers opponents if he has 'no power', wouldn't be in my list but that's beside the point.

Tyson
Chavez
Hopkins
Margarito
Galaxy

Thinking more from a style perspective than any smack talk.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:16 pm

Interesting to note as well that except Ali all were exposed when the bravado/smack talk & bullying didn't work...

Much like in real life...once the facade is lifted 'Bullies' are left with very little to 'attack' people with.

Obviously Tyson is the best example of this.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:18 pm

Ill always remember Tyson on about Lewis in a post fight interview to say "Ill eat his heart and kids" or seomthing like that!

Mental stuff and on this occasion could not back it up.

But even still, he was an animal.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

Hoppo is a good call.......

Not sure about Galaxy but I'll take your word for it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

I'm not sure I would have Hopkins on the list and certainly not Morales...from an actual bully perspective.

I get that in the ring they can be...but outside of it I would'nt say either have that overbearing mentality. Granted Hopkins can be a bit of a tool but I think only for publicity/hype reasons.

Suppose it depends whether you mean bully in terms of style or 'mentality, belittling opponent and just genuine nastiness outside and inside of the ring'..

No doubt Tyson/Mayorga/Chavez make any list

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Interesting to note as well that except Ali all were exposed when the bravado/smack talk & bullying didn't work...
Much like in real life...once the facade is lifted 'Bullies' are left with very little to 'attack' people with.

Obviously Tyson is the best example of this.

When was Hopkins exposed after a pre-fight bullying stint?

Can I add Sonny Liston if we have a caveat that the word "modern" is used as if Windy was still with us?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:21 pm

No you can't!!!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:21 pm

Galaxy would physically impose his will on opponents, he was so much better than everyone as well as bigger he could do almost as he pleased.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:24 pm

Does Floyd really talk smack? I reckon he talks down to his opponents and about them without the smack. Reminds me of Alex fergie defending Wenger. Not smack but very patronising and condascending which in itself gets under the skin of opponents.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:24 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:I'm not sure I would have Hopkins on the list and certainly not Morales...from an actual bully perspective.

I get that in the ring they can be...but outside of it I would'nt say either have that overbearing mentality. Granted Hopkins can be a bit of a tool but I think only for publicity/hype reasons.

Suppose it depends whether you mean bully in terms of style or 'mentality, belittling opponent and just genuine nastiness outside and inside of the ring'..

No doubt Tyson/Mayorga/Chavez make any list

If we take the criteria of the OP and talk about people being spiteful and belittling, I think Morales fits nicely. His fights with Barrera were preceded by talk of who was and wasn't a "real Mexican"...most of it coming from Erik.

Does James Toney qualify?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:27 pm

Toney is a good shout...Obviously Tony Ayala is a candidate...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:29 pm

Valero could be a bit nawty.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:29 pm

Dave - I don't mean exposed in the sense he was knocked senseless...I just mean when he doesn't get under his opponents skin and his bullying tactics don't work.. i.e Calzaghe, 2nd Taylor Fight,

But like I said I would not put Hopkins in a 'bullying list' anyway. I don't think it is essential to how he fights/ who he is as a boxer.

Unlike Tyson, Mayorga, Chavez, Haye etc.

Also with regards to Morales..agreed in the Barrera fight he was in some ways a bully...however again I dont think it was the norm or essential to him as a fighter. In the case of his fights with Barrera it was the occasion/rivalry which created the spitefulness rather than Morales. In many cases he has been quite respectful of his opponents.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:32 pm

I'm not sure I get what you mean Owen.....

Ali was a bully and it wasn't essential to how he fought...

Toney wasn't overly aggressive either...

Think you are a bully or not....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:32 pm

James DeGale would be up there...certainly in the British stakes along with the likes of Herbie Hide. Difficult to put Chris Eubank on with any real conviction as we know that most of his arrogance and pre-fight nonsense was done for effect rather than any real malice.

Owen wrote - But like I said I would not put Hopkins in a 'bullying list' anyway. I don't think it is essential to how he fights/ who he is as a boxer.

OWEN - I always saw Hopkins as the kind of fighter who wanted to make his opponents mad, make them lose their composure and capitalise of any mistakes made in the heat of battle. Therefore I'd say that pre-fight bullying WAS essential to Hopkins

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not sure I get what you mean Owen.....

Patterson and the other guy ("what's my name") would disagree.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:37 pm

Where is Jabby any way ?? he's probably sparred with a few in his time...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:41 pm

azania wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not sure I get what you mean Owen.....

Patterson and the other guy ("what's my name") would disagree.

Ali would have beaten them anyway. However, the circumstance surrounding those two fights were markedly different to many of Ali's others. He believed he'd been insulted by his opponents and the spite he showed was done to defend his honour.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

Think all Patterson did was to refer back to his original name...

Bit over the top.. the baiting that followed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:50 pm

Trussman - For me...a bully is someone who lacks the self confidence naturally and therefore creates a persona/nastiness about themselves to overcompensate. By belittling, being horrible to others they feel better about themselves.

In light of that the likes of Tyson, Mayorga HAVE to get under their opponents skin, be rude/horribel/racist, verbally vile or be physically intimidating towards their opponent so that they lose confidence in their own ability.

If they fail to do that then they are often brutally exposed..case in point both Tyson and Mayorga.

Whilst not quite as extreme I think you could say that Haye looked shot of confidence once he realised all of the verbal taunting hadn't got to Wladmir in the build up to their fight.

DAVE667 - I see what you are getting it at but for me it's very often not particularly natural behaviour..often IMO done for hype reason more than anything. Their have been plenty of cases where Hopkins doesn't particularly do much in the build up to the fight...where as the likes of Tyson seemed to be the same regardless of the opponent. Obviously though it is all just a matter of how we view things

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

The change of name was something that was important to Ali. He felt as though by referring to him as Clay, Patterson was dismissing Ali's religion as well even though Patterson only said it the once.

Ernie Tyrrell continued to call him Clay long after Ali had corrected him and he took that as a deliberate insult...but I agree, the baiting that followed was over the top.

I think Patterson escaped more punishment as he was a genuinely nice guy who said afterwards "I called him Clay because that's the name his mother gave him" Hard to hate a guy like that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:52 pm

Trussman - For me...a bully is someone who lacks the self confidence naturally and therefore creates a persona/nastiness about themselves to overcompensate. By belittling, being horrible to others they feel better about themselves.

Owen, is this part of your thread or simply an in-depth analysis of TRUSSMAN?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:54 pm

Now that isn't nice........

I'm a liberal I love everybody.........except my father-in-law perhaps

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

I simply asked a question...not my fault if some of those barbs have stuck now, is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Trussman - For me...a bully is someone who lacks the self confidence naturally and therefore creates a persona/nastiness about themselves to overcompensate. By belittling, being horrible to others they feel better about themselves.

Owen, is this part of your thread or simply an in-depth analysis of TRUSSMAN?

Laugh

Depends if you're asking about in ring bullying or out of it. I'd say Ali was the greatest bully outside of the ring yet in it, he was a masterful boxer.

Inside the ring, I'd say Frazier and Hopkins stand out as bullies - Tyson was a very talented boxer aswell as having that aggressive style but I think Bhop is the more...spoiling fighter, not letting the opponent fight back properly.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:03 pm

Barbs...

Reminds me of that Pamela Anderson movie from years ago.....

Surprised she didn't get an Oscar!!!

Though she could have had a TRUSSMAN!!! Cool

Good JM is on here......any of the guys you sparred with bullies???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:06 pm

Just to make things clear Truss - I haven't sparred with anyone famous so if thats your angle, give it up.

I'm yet to spar with a "bully" so no. You don't tend to get them in the amateur game I feel.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

I only asked...I must be mixing you up with someone else who got kicked off here!!

wonder If that guy has given his gym details to the mods yet!!

I apologise If it wasn't you!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:20 pm

You claim you're not a WUM, correct?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:29 pm

I'm a Dad but not a Wum.......

Like I said I apologise If you weren't that Walter Mitty fantasist!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

You have children?

I feel sorry for them.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

Not as sorry as they feel!!! Cool

Why the insults?? I apologised in the above post.... thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:44 pm

I'm not insulting you.

I'm also not stupid enough to fall for the WUM tactics of fake apologies warning

I'm yet to see evidence of you being as legit poster here.

Oh, and word to the wise, it would be a good idea to brush up your own English skills before poking fun at other peoples.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I'm not insulting you.

I'm also not stupid enough to fall for the WUM tactics of fake apologies warning

I'm yet to see evidence of you being as legit poster here.

Oh, and word to the wise, it would be a good idea to brush up your own English skills before poking fun at other peoples.

TRUSSMAN is an American and doesn't concern himself with the finer things in life...like the English Language, however, he will jump down your throat for that typo...well, he certainly try force something down your throat. Might be his opinions...then again.......

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:48 pm

There is nothing fake about my apology or my 49 inch chest and 171/2 inch arms..

However there are fakes on here as we've found out recently!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

He's not man enough for the blue oyster!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

Maybe you should have a bar for those not quite man enough and call it the "Pink Winkle"

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

This post was made by TRUSSMAN66 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by TRUSSMAN66 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh drumroll

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:52 pm

I'm devastated...

Pink winkle....Now their is a name

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:55 pm

Anybody else want to post on my thread.... and put me on their ignore list???

Hope this means this guy isn't going to report me every two minutes anymore!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:33 pm

Oi oi, what do we ave ere then?!

Lads, lay off the nasty's please. I have scrolled up a wee bit and already I see some unsavoury comments. It's Monday, let us rejoice in the knowledge that we get to spend the next 5 days at work.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:34 pm

Unsavoury...maybe you should read the 12-line-abusive pm I've just had off him...

Bless him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:39 pm

forward it to me if you like. PMing abuse is not on boys; let's all be nice cause if the thread descends anymore it will get shifted

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:45 pm

Shame really as it had started off as a decent thread with some good back & forth cases being made!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:46 pm

That'll be three in a day.....Do I get a prize..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:46 pm

I would call Liston a bully in the mentality sense. His mini wars with a prime Cleveland Williams are more than enough proof he could take it when stood up to.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down