The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marquez vs Morales: Now Viable?

+8
D4thincarnation
The Galveston Giant
STC
compelling and rich
AdZacO
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
12 posters

Go down

Marquez vs Morales: Now Viable? Empty Marquez vs Morales: Now Viable?

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:09 pm

This was much talked about before the Maidana fight was signed and me like many didn't want to see it because I thought Morales was shot.

After his fight against Maidana, I still don't want to see it but at least but can understand it more if it's made. The fight would be very big in Mexico, a big fight for boxing fans world wide and maybe not as one-sided as many would predict.

I still like most think Morales is way past it but I think Saturday showed he is not as shot as many thought although Maidana's crude style would always benefit even a shot fighter with good sound boxing skills like Morales.

Who do you think both Marquez and Morales should fight next?

Personally I would like to see Morales fight another contender in the 140ib division, possibly Judah i.e. not in his prime either and would be a good marker for both.

For Marquez I have no interest in a Manny fight unless at 135ibs which won't happen so a fight against Soto or Guerrero. Both would be tough but both very solid wins to add to Marquez's CV, especially at this stage in his career.

Thoughts anyone?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Marquez vs Morales: Now Viable? Empty Re: Marquez vs Morales: Now Viable?

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:31 pm

Personally, I never wanted to see it, never thought it was a truly viable fight and never thought it actually would happen - and Morales' fight with Maidana at the weekend has done absolutely nothing to make me think otherwise.

I think a slick technician such as Marquez, as opposed to a banger like Maidana, is always more likely to be the kind of fighter best placed to show how over the hill Morales is. A wily, experienced campaigner like Morales has learned enough to cope with a loss of speed and reflexes over the years in order to hang with a fighter lacking in variety such as Maidana - but I fear he'd be overwhelmed by Marquez, who has so much more in his arsenal than just a big punch.

It's a 'name versus name' fight if it happens, but that's about it. I'm not sure how interested Marquez would be in the fight to begin with, but for me it's definitely not on my wish list.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:45 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:This was much talked about before the Maidana fight was signed and me like many didn't want to see it because I thought Morales was shot.

After his fight against Maidana, I still don't want to see it but at least but can understand it more if it's made. The fight would be very big in Mexico, a big fight for boxing fans world wide and maybe not as one-sided as many would predict.

I still like most think Morales is way past it but I think Saturday showed he is not as shot as many thought although Maidana's crude style would always benefit even a shot fighter with good sound boxing skills like Morales.

Who do you think both Marquez and Morales should fight next?

Personally I would like to see Morales fight another contender in the 140ib division, possibly Judah i.e. not in his prime either and would be a good marker for both.

For Marquez I have no interest in a Manny fight unless at 135ibs which won't happen so a fight against Soto or Guerrero. Both would be tough but both very solid wins to add to Marquez's CV, especially at this stage in his career.

Thoughts anyone?

To put it as short as I can.... no.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:16 am

MOrales should retire happy with his last fight, or fight Barrera if the can get same weight, although im still unsure in this, as it would give them both some money, but wouldnt do them justice in regards to the other fights.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 12 Apr 2011, 8:42 am

agree with others in that maindana is a crued slugger who's easy to hit. its only morrales toughness that made him look good against him. a counter puncher like JMM would school him at his current age. while JMM isnt that young himself he's still fighting somewhere near his best. his style lends to a longer career. morrales has had a very long career and far too many wars in there and its caught up with him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:30 am

If Morales could get himself into even better shape than he was in the other night then he may have a chance against Marquez. I don't know if he can do that though. Marquez seems to be able to fight at a fast pace still and this would give Morales a lot of problems, especially if he couldn't keep up. But Marquez does appear to be having problems maintaining that high pace for 12 rounds, as seen in the rematch with Juan Diaz where he was completed spent in the last 2 rounds.

So Morales would need to get into really good shape, which we don't know if he can, and he would need to be fighting with 2 eyes.

I'm not sure. I'm not completely against the idea. I think Marquez would tear Morales apart and that's not something I would like to see happen again. But then I did think Maidana would do the same.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 12 Apr 2011, 2:36 pm

Marquez is too much for Morales, he stunned the World on Saturday but he done it against a crude slugger, who in my view under estimated Morales as he didn't look like the same fighter battering Amir Khan around the ring. Don't know where he goes from here but he still needs to be careful.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 2:37 pm

Should have happened 7 years ago or last weekend. What is Marquez's problem?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Should have happened 7 years ago or last weekend. What is Marquez's problem?

Marquez never ducked Morales it just never happened. Don't see it happening now, regardless of how well Morales did against Maidana he lost and Marquez wants Pac beating Morales would get him no closer to that happening. Judah is more likely opponent for Marquez.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:31 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Should have happened 7 years ago or last weekend. What is Marquez's problem?

Marquez never ducked Morales it just never happened. Don't see it happening now, regardless of how well Morales did against Maidana he lost and Marquez wants Pac beating Morales would get him no closer to that happening. Judah is more likely opponent for Marquez.

Marquez pulled out of the fight, and for what reason?

Marquez should have took the fight, might have been late in the day but it is better late than never.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:46 pm

not always better late than never

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:53 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:not always better late than never

Not always but in this case most definitely

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:08 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:

Marquez pulled out of the fight, and for what reason?

Marquez should have took the fight, might have been late in the day but it is better late than never.

Like I said Marquez seen it as a pointless and dangerous fight. He wants Pac and felt that even if he beat Morales easily it would be looked upon that Morales is past it. It would have got him nowhere nearer where he wanted to be.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:10 pm

Very true pretty boy.

Marquez is chasing Manny, problem is if he doesn't get him he'd have wasted a lot of time when he could be fighting, especially at his age.

He'll probably only fight once this year.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:14 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Very true pretty boy.

Marquez is chasing Manny, problem is if he doesn't get him he'd have wasted a lot of time when he could be fighting, especially at his age.

He'll probably only fight once this year.

He should be fighting more and trying to force the issue, a step up to LWW would do that imo. Manny is running out of credible opponents. His upcoming fight with Mosley proves that. I've said before I can see JMM fighting Judah next but that's a very dangerous fights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:35 pm

for me there are very few 'right' gifghts for morales and i for one dont want to see his legacy tarnished by bad defeats to fighters he should no longer be in with which is still very uch a possibility

JMM is in much better shape than Eric and that fight would be v dangerous for him and should of happened 5 yrs ago

for me his two legit fights are

rematch with maidana who he may be able to beat with 2 good eyes for all the reasons mentined above and more

and Barrera 4, Morales has proven he is still worth watching if Barrera can do the same thats a fair pickem fight

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:06 pm

i think morales should hang up the gloves really, but if he isn't going to then the most viable fight i think is definetly barrera.

also i think a match with Katsidis would be a good and even fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:08 pm

Barrera would be good if he still has something to offer. They would both make a lot of money due to their history and names it's not a hard one to sell.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:33 pm

if morales could get down to lightweight then yeah kats,he would fancy, kats takes so many punches its silly

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Apr 2011, 12:37 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:if morales could get down to lightweight then yeah kats,he would fancy, kats takes so many punches its silly

Kats would probably be better going up to LWW to fight Morales. Erik didn't look like he could make LW anymore.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 13 Apr 2011, 8:07 am

Would love to see him and Barrera go at it one last time, both could then hang up there gloves.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:47 am

I'd rather see Marquez against the top lightweights, it will be better for his legacy if he can keep cleaning out the best at 135lb.

I'd love to see him fight Miguel Vasquez, Soto, Rios or Guerrero

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down