The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brett Lee retires from International Cricket

+4
Shelsey93
Fists of Fury
Liam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
8 posters

Go down

Brett Lee retires from International Cricket Empty Brett Lee retires from International Cricket

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:08 am

Following the injury that ended his tour of England Brett Lee has brought forward his retirement from international limited overs cricket, opting out of the upcoming T20 World Cup as he "just didn't have the desire any more". He will continue to play T20 in IPL and the Australian Big Bash league.

Lee finishes on 380 ODI wickets, one short of Glenn McGrath's Australian record.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10819355
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Brett Lee retires from International Cricket Empty Re: Brett Lee retires from International Cricket

Post by Liam Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

Great bowler, fearsome competitor and a true FAST bowler. I noticed that he wasn't really showing the bite and determined attitude that has characterised a great career in this ODI series with England.

Superb bowler and he will be missed from the game. clap

Liam

Back to top Go down

Brett Lee retires from International Cricket Empty Re: Brett Lee retires from International Cricket

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

He actually finished level with McGrath, did he not?

I'll miss Brett Lee. A genuine, express fast bowler in an age where there aren't too many of 'em, and a fantastic sportsman. Always have his absolute all when wearing that baggy green, but always did it with a smile on his face. A great ambassador for Australian cricket, and a fast bowler for youngsters to look up to.

Some great memories, and I'm sure a few batsmen will sleep easier tonight following that announcement - he was still a force.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:19 am

I think that Lee encapsulated the Spirit of Cricket, and not just because of that moment with Flintoff.

He was a superb bowler - probably the only genuine quick to achieve sustained success during his era - though he will probably be remembered as third in the McGrath, Gillespie, Lee attack. When Gillespie wilted in 2005, Lee stayed strong and always had another fight in him, whether it be with the new ball or the long handle.

I actually think his Test retirement was premature. He could easily have continued for another couple of years, and might have made a little bit of a difference in the 2010/11 Ashes. But I understand if he doesn't want to keep going through the rehab - although I notice that he'll continue to play IPL and BBL.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Following the injury that ended his tour of England Brett Lee has brought forward his retirement from international limited overs cricket, opting out of the upcoming T20 World Cup as he "just didn't have the desire any more". He will continue to play T20 in IPL and the Australian Big Bash league.

Lee finishes on 380 ODI wickets, one short of Glenn McGrath's Australian record.

Nope he finished one short of Mcgrath's overall record and equal with Mcgrath's Australian record. Mcgrath took one wicket for the World XI.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:34 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:Following the injury that ended his tour of England Brett Lee has brought forward his retirement from international limited overs cricket, opting out of the upcoming T20 World Cup as he "just didn't have the desire any more". He will continue to play T20 in IPL and the Australian Big Bash league.

Nope he finished one short of Mcgrath's overall record and equal with Mcgrath's Australian record. Mcgrath took one wicket for the World XI.

Doh

That's what happens when you trust the NZ Herald's research Sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

He will be missed. He brought a great attitude and character as well as skill.

I feel he was still the pick of the Aussie bowlers too so some more changes needed in the set-up now.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by DHLS07 Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:55 pm

Great cricketer but not been at his best for a while now. Will be missed though, brought real passion to the game.

DHLS07

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Jul 2012, 9:44 pm

He could play and he played the right way.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down