The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we partly to blame for not getting the fights we want?

+2
ShahenshahG
BoxingFan88
6 posters

Go down

Are we partly to blame for not getting the fights we want? Empty Are we partly to blame for not getting the fights we want?

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:04 pm

I am subscribed to Donaire on Facebook and he posted a very interesting article about the stumbling blocks stopping the fight with Rigondeaux. I think its a rather interesting article and highlights that boxing after all is a business and we are the consumers, the fights that get made are the ones that make financial sense. In Donaire's case, if he did beat Rigondeaux, the typical response is 'that guy was never that good anyway' (unless they have proven it at the top level e.g. Montiel). Rigondeaux would probably ask for a lot of money and it wouldn't make financial sense, Donaire has nothing to gain and everything to lose, on the flip Rigondeaux has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If HBO could guarantee high viewing figures and a sell out crowd, I am sure the fight gets made.

http://www.filipinoflash.com/news/item/142-negotiation-process-makes-fights-donaire-explains-rigondeaux-fight-business

So why are we to blame you ask? The networks will only put on fights that will generate interest and if the interest is not there then the fight doesn't get made. Sergio Martinez has fought 3 excellent fighters his last three fights in Dzinzurik, Macklin and Barker, two of them undefeated and one of them losing via robbery to Felix Sturm in Germany. Martinez took these fights as extremely high risk and no reward and he really hasn't got the credit I believe he deserves for that. So why would a fighter take that risk?

Granted this logic is flawed, because the fight we all wanted to see which would have been the most expensive fight in history (Pacquaio vs Floyd) has not happened and never will happen. There is no denying the interest in that fight.

So my question is, are we partly to blame for this?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Are we partly to blame for not getting the fights we want? Empty Re: Are we partly to blame for not getting the fights we want?

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:06 pm

Course. If we was all like rowley (albeit less moany and miserable) then we would prob get all the fights we want.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Are we partly to blame for not getting the fights we want? Empty Re: Are we partly to blame for not getting the fights we want?

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:19 pm

no
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnydapasingh1984 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:42 pm

No!!

Sunnydapasingh1984

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm

I think we are like junkies- whilst they would like pure top grade smack they settle for heavily cut crap . Same with us -we want to watch Mayweather v pacquaio, but settle for whatever crap is on boxnation.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Course. If we was all like rowley (albeit less moany and miserable) then we would prob get all the fights we want.

Keep telling folk Shah, it ain't easy being me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:34 pm

I'm offended.I'm the most miserable curmudgeon on this site, I'l have you
know. I don't recognise any of the above boxers and I don't want to know about them.
Jeff, I thought your avatar image was Sullivan,but am I right it's actually Paddy Ryan?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 14 Jul 2012, 8:26 am

Close mate, Jem Mace at the minute, but I am due a new one

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down