The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Leicester Tigers thread

+64
Hound of Harrow
Beaker
Rugby Fan
timhen
jeffwinger
mrrugby365
Artful_Dodger
lostinwales
killer938
Metal Tiger
RuggerRadge2611
Big
formerly known as Sam
tigerleghorn
Manu's Boxing Coach
bedfordwelsh
HammerofThunor
TJ1
king_carlos
VinceWLB
maestegmafia
mbernz
Driver
Jimpy
Hound_of_Harrow
Hood83
gregortree
broadlandboy
Cumbrian
hugh.st
LeinsterFan4life
Portnoy's Complaint
DaveM
pioden gorllewin
nathan
aucklandlaurie
maverickmak
Dim
LondonTiger
JmD
Kingshu
Scrumdown
Notch
Geordie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
rodders
Irish Londoner
beshocked
bluestonevedder
Sgt_Pooly
yappysnap
funnyExiledScot
SirBurger
pjm1
ScarletSpiderman
Trench Foot
Ozzy3213
Rava
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HongKongCherry
doctor_grey
Effervescing Elephant
Portnoy
68 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The Leicester Tigers thread - Page 20 Empty The Leicester Tigers thread

Post by Portnoy Tue 17 Jul 2012, 5:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

2012/3 may well prove to be a memorable one.

For once, there seems to be (albeit not unplumbable) strength in depth, a fairly healthy squad and a straightforward, uncomplicated international season.

Last edited by Portnoy on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

The Leicester Tigers thread - Page 20 Empty Re: The Leicester Tigers thread

Post by yappysnap Wed 29 May 2013, 6:30 pm

Lamb and Camacho are odd ones, but both could work well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 May 2013, 8:09 pm

Yeah they are a little bit. I think It's a bit of insurance against the future to be honest. Bowden hasn't inspired so I don't think he's trusted to play 10 and both his and Flood's contracts are up next summer so having Lamb and Williams as options we would have two ingrained flyhalfs one who should be able to step in as he has experience the other with a whole lot of potential. The academy 10 Bryant is only 17/18 I think and has captained the academy but I don't think he's going to be fast tracked ala Ford so 3 10s is prudent.

Camacho I don't understand in all honesty. A decent winger but we have Thompstone, Benjamin, Morris, Hamilton and Goneva all signed up for next season. I was hoping Murphy would be working magic with the academy back three options rather than us handed out contracts to a brace of wingers over 30. We have el Mahdi who was rapid with a step the only time I've seen him and Rhys Williams who is supposed to have a passing resemblance in style to 'ickle Shane. I'd rather have seen them given time.

Hamilton, Harrison, Tait and Chuter all officially confirmed as having new contracts today. I hope we got Tait's signature down before his searing end of season form.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 29 May 2013, 11:10 pm

A good looking squad forming IMO, but as Sam says some odd signings as well:

Props - Ayerza, Mulipola, Cole, Chuster, Stankovich, Balmain

Hookers - Youngs, Hawkins, Briggs, Chuter

Second row - Parling, Slater, Kitchener, Deacon, De Chaves

Flanker - Salvi, Croft, Mafi, Gibson

Number 8 - Crane, Waldrom

Scrum half - Youngs, Harrison, Mele

Fly half - Flood, Williams, Lamb

Centre - Allen, Tuilagi, Smith, Bowden

Wing - Goneva, Thompstone, Morris, Benjamin, Camacho

Full back - Tait, Hamilton

I think that's the squad as it stands. Anyone know about Cain and Thorpe, whether they are staying, going, released, etc?

As Sam says the signing of Camacho, whilst a good player, seems like an odd one given the players we already have there. I'd probably have rather seen Forsyth stay on as he covers centre as well where we look a bit light.

Also if we were to sign one of the more experienced players to stay on as cover I would've preferred Brett Deacon rather than Chuter as we now have 3 decent hookers with Briggs signing.

De Chaves I can't say I know much about but with Parling and Mafi almost certainly involved internationally and Kitchener/Slater moving that way it may well prove a good signing.

On a different note it's sad but not at this stage surprising to have Castro and Geordan moving on. They will be very much missed next season after being fixtures in the squad for so long.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 May 2013, 8:55 am

Cain has a nasty knee injury but was listed on the benh earlier in last season and was sent to Notts for further game time. He seems to be rated.

Brett is apparently injured and Tigers have told him he can stay at Welford Rd until he recovers and then go from there.

My understanding is that Lewington and Forsyth were offered new contracts but chose to go to smaller clubs in order to get more game time in the AP. Hence us bringing in Camacho and re-signing Hamilton.

With Clare and Stevens leaving this summer (Stevens being the one we wanted to keep) we only had Thacker to cover as 4th choice and he is rather young so Chuter is there to offer some mentoring and emergency cover. I expect Chutes and Hawkins to leave next summer.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 30 May 2013, 10:46 am

King carlos who is Chuster?

Tigers pack options particularly props, 2nd rows and flankers look really impressive for next season.

Always impresses me how Tigers are continually rebuilding and replacing.

Castrogiovanni and Murphy move on you would think would have weakened Tigers. Nope not at all - Tigers have Cole who has overtaken Castro. Tait now looks to have stepped into the shoes of Murphy. That big gamble looks to have paid off.

Well done Tigers. clap

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 30 May 2013, 12:30 pm

Thorpe and Brett Deacon were among the names of those who were moving on, though cannot confirm (or deny) what Sam says about Brett.

Joe Cain is still with the club, but will probably spend a lot of time at Nottingham next season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 30 May 2013, 12:30 pm

Oh and B, he means Schuster - the prop signed from Perpignan.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 May 2013, 12:47 pm

Jerome Shuster from Perpignan, plays both sides, 27, has a couple of caps from years ago at loosehead with France.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 30 May 2013, 1:45 pm

So another stuttering player that the tigers will probably turn in to a crackin player...

Sam you also mentioned that young second row..6'9 lineout lad...is he going to the championship this season or will he be getting the odd bit of gametime for the tigers in the cups etc?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 30 May 2013, 3:25 pm

Cheers Sam and LT for the updates there. I hadn't realised Stevens had moved on for good, I was under the impression he was going to be at Nottingham ready to be called up if necessary. Makes much more sense of Chuter being kept on though.

Beshocked - as has been said I meant Schuster the prop we've signed from Perpignan. Sounds like a decent signing, especially if he is as proficient on each side as we've heard. Given that Mulipola can also play on either side it gives us options for next season which is good. Balmain can cover either side as well I think but can't confirm for certain.

Does anyone know if there's a chance of Calum Green returning when his Leeds contract is up or is expected to keep looking elsewhere? I thought he looked a really promising player a couple of season back but needed to sort his discipline out and stop giving away silly penalties.

Fingers crossed that the Youngs brothers, Cole, Parling, Croft and Manu return from the Lions in better shape than most players usually do as well!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 May 2013, 5:23 pm

Stevens has signed for LI as he's more likely to get game time. I doubt we'll get Green back as we have too many other lock options come through since.

Geordie Price had a bit of Notts game time and made made his debut this season. I'd expect a continuation for him, Wells and if he's fit Cain next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Fri 31 May 2013, 9:18 am

Manu signed an extended contract, as usual with Tigers no details but rumour of it being for 5 years.

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 31 May 2013, 9:34 am

It's a "long term" contract so I'd expect 3 or more years. The guy is still very young and already an established international and a Lion. Good deal for us.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 31 May 2013, 6:06 pm

Mulipola also signed a 'long term' contract as well which is great to see.

It's always been a strength of the Tigers the coaches ability to sign talented players but ones who are not really shining and get them to fulfill their potential. Mulipola, Mafi, Morris and Parling really stand out in my mind in this regard but also guys like Flood, Allen and Salvi have added new dimensions to their game here over time and Tait is now excelling as a 15. I've got high hopes Goneva and Benjamin can really kick on if they stay fit for a good length of next season as well.

1.Ayerza 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Slater/Kitchener 5.Parling 6.Croft 7.Salvi 8.Crane/Waldrom
9.Youngs 10.Flood 11.Goneva 12.Allen 13.Tuilagi 14.Morris 15.Tait

That would be my starting side from the current squad if by some miracle we can get everyone fit at some point near the start of next season!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 31 May 2013, 7:34 pm

Ayerza will either be with Argentina or injured at the start of next season sadly.

I wouldn't write off Louis Deacon yet either, fully fit he's a beast in the tight and a massive asset in wet conditions in particular.

Tigers have done well out of some good scouting and a few quality academy grads. We need some of both to come through and perform next season if we're going to fight on two fronts successfully.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 01 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Ayerza will either be with Argentina or injured at the start of next season sadly.

I wouldn't write off Louis Deacon yet either, fully fit he's a beast in the tight and a massive asset in wet conditions in particular.

Tigers have done well out of some good scouting and a few quality academy grads. We need some of both to come through and perform next season if we're going to fight on two fronts successfully.

What do you guys think about the backs though? There always seem to be cracking forwards coming through the academy but a dearth of backs, or at least a dearth of top notch ones. B Youngs and Morris have been the stand outs but are you a little disappointed with the rest? I still feel B Youngs hasn't kicked on as much as expected as well. The scouting system though seems top notch, Mafi and Mulipola have been superb.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 01 Jun 2013, 10:43 am

Forgot to say, congrats to Leicester on the Prem title. Richly deserved. I've been a little late in congratulating due to an op I've had and some convalescence. Easily the stand out team this year, and I still think there's lots of room for improvement. Scary stuff for the rest of us.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 01 Jun 2013, 11:06 am

Hood83 wrote:Forgot to say, congrats to Leicester on the Prem title. Richly deserved. I've been a little late in congratulating due to an op I've had and some convalescence. Easily the stand out team this year, and I still think there's lots of room for improvement. Scary stuff for the rest of us.

Sarries ( vomit ) deserve recognition for winning the league.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 01 Jun 2013, 11:24 am

greytiger wrote:
Hood83 wrote:Forgot to say, congrats to Leicester on the Prem title. Richly deserved. I've been a little late in congratulating due to an op I've had and some convalescence. Easily the stand out team this year, and I still think there's lots of room for improvement. Scary stuff for the rest of us.

Sarries ( vomit ) deserve recognition for winning the league.

Well yes, but they won't get it from me until they lose the 'Stand up for the Saracens' and 'The big bad wolf' guff from their tannoy. A pitiful replacement for a genuine crowd atmosphere :-) But they did probably deserve some silverware this year and seem to slowly be developing a more complete game.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 01 Jun 2013, 12:05 pm

What do you guys think about the backs though?

Well Hoody there's a couple coming through I'd like to see more of. Purdy made his debut last season and plays wing/OC and scored a few in the A League last season. Hopefully he'll get some more game time next season as he looks pacey but is quite a strapping lad, looks at least 6 foot and was very physical in defence playing for the England under 20s. There's also Javiah Pohe a Kiwi/Cornish powerful IC who looks like he could make an impact in either centreberth to be honest.

We've also got Catchpole who seems to play anywhere in the backline and two pacey wingers in el Mahdi and Williams though I don't think they'll see first team action this season. Hopefully A league for them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Wed 31 Jul 2013, 6:14 pm

hi, I was just wondering what tigers fans think of Rhys Williams who is currently in the academy? and is he likely to feature at all for the tigers this season, in any competition?

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 31 Jul 2013, 8:35 pm

Hood83 wrote:
greytiger wrote:

Sarries ( vomit ) deserve recognition for winning the league.

Well yes, but they won't get it from me until they lose the 'Stand up for the Saracens' and 'The big bad wolf' guff from their tannoy. A pitiful replacement for a genuine crowd atmosphere :-) But they did probably deserve some silverware this year and seem to slowly be developing a more complete game.

Every one goes in to all comps knowing there's no silverware for second place. Sarries couldn't adapt and deal with high intensity games against sides that couldn't be bullied and paid the price for a limited backline and redundant tactics (for the second year running).

Well done to Tigers though, when you guys were on it you were the only team to show total rugby (forwards AND backs combining to effect).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 31 Jul 2013, 8:40 pm

yappy wrote:Every one goes in to all comps knowing there's no silverware for second place. Sarries couldn't adapt and deal with high intensity games against sides that couldn't be bullied and paid the price for a limited backline and redundant tactics (for the second year running).
Triple Crowns and 6Ns Championship are non-mutually exclusive.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:09 pm

Ah but they're not given out for second place. One is for fulfilling a certain criteria, the other for coming first but not remaining undefeated.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:42 pm

We've not seen him yet Welshy but he's one of several academy players getting good reviews. We're seeing a couple of our young flyers in the JP Morgan 7s. Unfortunatley he didn't get the nod for that, may well see him on loan at Loughborough Uni at Division 1 next season, maybe Jersey or Notts in the Championship.

Just seen Bryant has pulled out of the JP Morgan squad which is a shame he's supposedly a very classy 10 and I was hoping to see him as he's been captain of the academy team. Tahir El Mahdi the 19 year old flyer is in instead.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20