The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Positional Skills Expectations

+8
Barney McGrew did it
disneychilly
asoreleftshoulder
rodders
BamBam
Thomond
Biltong
Geordie
12 posters

Go down

Positional Skills Expectations Empty Positional Skills Expectations

Post by Geordie Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

Theres many debates on here about lions, and National team selections etc.

Often we see debates for a position for example Blind Side Flanker ...where people are argueing for players with quite different skills ranges. Ie Croft v Ferris. To different styles of players both going for no.6

Ie Should a prop be a dog at the breakdown or ball carrier.

Should the lineout second rower...still be physical and a ball carrier...or just a lineout king?

etc etc

Im curious what peoples opinions are on each positions required skills from 1 - 15.

EDIT - Ill do a list from peoples opinions:

2 - Hooker has to solid in the scrum, maybe not outstandingly big/bulky but can't be too light as so he would effect his team. Decent thrower. Has to be able to get aroudn the field like a backrower with a decent tackle count and good breakdown operator

5 - Huge Physical Specimen

Back Row - No need for a fetcher anymore?
6 - Big Defender
7 - Pacy light Ball Carrier
8 - Big burly Ball Carrier

12 - Big and physical but with skills and vision, a 2nd flyhalf if you will, jus bigger
15 - Commanding under the high ball, strong in defence, pacey strike runner, distribution skills are helpful, big boot

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm; edited 4 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Positional Skills Expectations Empty Re: Positional Skills Expectations

Post by Biltong Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:40 pm

I think the tight head lock still need to be a physical specimen, for two main reasons.

Scrumming as you need that back up when you want a right shoulder and in the mauls he can be the pillar around which your forwards bind, he can control direction and remain the central pivot depending which you you want to split off or go straight etc.

I don't beleive an out and out fethcer is necessary anymore, purely because the pilfering or slowing down in a ruck with the pace of the game requires anyone to do it.

However saying that the combination of your backrow must be balanced.

In simple terms, one player who is strongest in defence, one burly ball carrier, one pacy ball carrier.

My 12 I like big and physical but with skills and vision, a 2nd flyhalf if you will, jus bigger.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm

Hooker has to solid in the scrum, maybe not outstandingly big/bulky but can't be too light as so he would effect his team. Decent thrower. Has to be able to get aroudn the field like a backrower with a decent tackle count and good breakdown operator.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

Full back - Commanding under the high ball, strong in defence, pacey strike runner, distribution skills are helpful, big boot

not asking much am I

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:03 pm

I think the attributes of each position depend a lot on the team and the style of rugby you want to play.

For example if you are playing an expansive style of rugby you probably want a natural openside like McCaw or Martyn Williams who can be a link man and support the ball carrier.

Alternatively you may want an extra big ball carrier like Gordgodze if you are playing a more forward orientated style of play.

Again with the midfield, a Giteau type 2nd 5/8th give you a 2nd footballing option or you might prefer a bigger, more direct player like Jamie Roberts.

There is no one answer to a lot of these.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm

Outhalf needs to be an exceptional kicker and passer while also having excellent vision and decision making.Pace and tackling are a nice bonus but not essential imo.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

A midfield player needs to be able to pass. Hence my shock at Mike Tindall having played as many tests as he has. Tony Woodcock can pass people into space better than him.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

SH has to be an annoying g1t with a big mouth (having a pass would be nice).

If the hooker isn't roundly hated by the oppo fans and players he simply isn't doing his job (which isn't hooking anymore, maybe we should rename the position thrower).
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

As a 7 myself, I'd argue that anyone wearing a 7 shirt has to be a fetcher. But, I am incredibly biased! A good 7 enjoys poaching, tracking the ball, making a nuisance of themselves, and possesses a good motor.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:22 pm

If your 7 knows the laws better than the ref make him the captain.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

rodders wrote:I think the attributes of each position depend a lot on the team and the style of rugby you want to play.

For example if you are playing an expansive style of rugby you probably want a natural openside like McCaw or Martyn Williams who can be a link man and support the ball carrier.

Alternatively you may want an extra big ball carrier like Gordgodze if you are playing a more forward orientated style of play.

Again with the midfield, a Giteau type 2nd 5/8th give you a 2nd footballing option or you might prefer a bigger, more direct player like Jamie Roberts.

There is no one answer to a lot of these.

+1

It is more about ballancing your team than certain bodyshape/attitude for certain shirts.

A good example is the centres. In my opinion on should be a solid player who is able to physically punch holes, and the other should be a bit more pacey/skillful. However i think it depends on who is playing fly half as to which would be inside and which one goes outside.

Also the back row. A flanker should be able to get his ass around the feild and get to the beakdowns before any other forwards. Also they should be comfortable running with the ball. In my mind the only real difference between open and blindside is that the openside should be the quicker of the two, as he is the one who will need to pressure the fly half off the scrum.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

1- at least good in the scrums, can take the hit. Must offer at least one of the following- power in the tight, excellence on the scrum, workload in the loose or breakdown

2- must be good in scrum, at least decent with the darts. Must make worse yards or tackles

3- very good in the scrum, something in the loose

4- win all own lineouts, spoil some opposition ones. Something in loose
5- power in scrum, make yards or tackles

8- basic skills at back of scrum
Across back row(individual positions practically irrelevant)- total of 30-50 tackles per match depending on possession, win own ball at breakdown, steal at least some oppo ball, yards and linkplay. Someone tonmake the enemy halfbacks lives hell
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

9 - an all round playmaker and link between the forwards and backs. Has to be a play maker and not just a link man. Half backs are partnerships and have to work as such. Not necesarily any physical attributes.

10. A secondary play maker, a general. Has to read the game and dictate a game plan with his scrumhalf. Good footballing and passing skills are prerequisite. A ten is not just a goal kicker.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down