The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SBW on the wing! Crazy positional errors.

+10
mckay1402
RuggerRadge2611
nganboy
disneychilly
robbo277
nottins_jones
Taylorman
Feckless Rogue
Notch
kiakahaaotearoa
14 posters

Go down

SBW on the wing! Crazy positional errors. Empty SBW on the wing! Crazy positional errors.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 am

Well that´s what Earle Kirton, former flyhalf and AB selector and scarf aficionado, would have us do with SBW. He likes the idea of Carter, Nonu, Smith and SBW.

To me that is very left field, although technically it´s right field as he prefers Hosea Gear on the left wing. But it´s also madness and utterly ridiculous. For a start, Williams has no rugby at wing. You can´t play somebody at international level with no experience at a position. NZ has found this out with their fullback to centre nonsense. Secondly, it removes the weapon of SBW: the offload in the middle of the field with all the traffic tied up in the tackle with space around inside or outside to exploit. Put him on the wing and you can only do an inside offload or a wrap around but easier to see coming. Thirdly, he doesn´t have enough pace and defensively he would have no idea. In short, it makes about as much sense as purchasing a pair of leather trousers. The end result is the same. You´ll be laughed at.

It´s not all madness though. Despite Mathewson´s poor recent form, he still likes the idea of a zippy pass and someone who is the quickest off the mark as replacement halfback and Colin Slade as the best backup to Carter.

But what in your mind is the worst positional change? From an All Black point of view, the Cullen to outside centre really grates. I can´t remember the player´s name but an Italian got moved into halfback and in the end you felt sorry for the guy (I think he was a backrower but my only enduring memory of that match was going from comic relief to cringe factor 50+ and hoping a sniper would finish the poor guy off.)

What are your worst calls for your team, be they national, club or provincial?

Last edited by kiakahaaotearoa on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

SBW on the wing! Crazy positional errors. Empty Re: SBW on the wing! Crazy positional errors.

Post by Notch Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:32 am

That's a weird idea. The biggest thing that SBW brings to the table is his offloading game. So put him far away from the midfield in a position where he'll be the guy finishing moves off... right! Are you sure he didn't mean Nonu on the wing? I'm you're not wrong, but if you were gonna put any All Black centre out there- he'd be the one, no?

You're quite right- Mauro Bergamasco from flanker to scrum-half was the worst positional change I've ever seen. He cost them so many points- he just didn't know what to do. At all. It was a disaster. It was a good example of how crucial the 9 is in defence and attack.

And all that preceded by Nick Mallett earnestly insisting that he'd been working 'really hard' on his box kicking Rolling Eyes

For Ireland, we seem to avoid the worst excesses of experimental coaches, probably because we tend to be a lot more conservative.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

SBW on the wing! Crazy positional errors. Empty Re: SBW on the wing! Crazy positional errors.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:42 am

Sorry, I forgot to put the link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5238849/Put-Sonny-Bill-on-the-wing-at-Cup-Kirton

I don´t like the idea of Nonu on the wing. He has played there before but in my opinion not very well. Inside centre is his new home and he shouldn´t move.

Cheers for the name. For me Bergamasco conjures up the image of a rabbit in the headlights.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:46 am

Well I like the idea of Nonu on the wing. As a non-AB fan, it would be kind of nice of you to deliberately handicap yourself to make it more interesting. Wink

Maybe you could do that in the group stages to make it more fun?

In all seriousness, I agree with you. You have Gear, Maitland, Sivivatu, Jane etc. It's madness.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:01 am

I'm 100% sure SBW will not be selected on the wing. He will be played with Smith in the center in the Tri-Nations. If they work well together, that will be the number 1 World Cup center partnership. They're the best individuals at 12 and 13. If it doesn't work well (and I don't see why it wouldn't) you still have the Nonu/Smith combo or the SBW/Fruean option.

If I can just go off topic for a sec; Berquist is coming to Leinster. What do Kiwi's think of him? Will he be a good signing for us?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:10 am

To be honest I´m not sure if Smith and Nonu´s partnership will be broken up. I can certainly see SBW playing some games but it´ll be at inside centre, that´s for sure. I don´t think Freuan will be picked. Kahui is a better replacement because he can also play wing and is a very solid player.

As for Berquist, he did a good job for the Crusaders when Carter was injured. I think he´s nothing spectacular but he seems like a good solid all-round player. Don´t know why Leinster is signing him. Is Sexton leaving or are they are hoping some NZ knowledge will rub off on him.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:14 am

He's being signed as a back-up to Sexton.

Sexton will miss loads of games because he's an international. 22 league games a year, Irish first choice players play around 8 or 9 on average.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:19 am

Well fair enough then. I think Sexton has more natural talent but he performed admirably in Carter´s absence so I´m sure he can do a good job for Leinster. Just don´t expect Cooper magic or another Nick Evans. But better than poor old Donald!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:25 am

Kia earle kirtons an idiot when it comes to selection. He did this with the last 2 or 3 world cups and out of the blue comes out with left field rubbish that is bound to spark commentary. Hes an attention seeker and isnt even smart enough to refrain fron playing players out of position when we clearly have learned the hard way not to do.
Even as a coach placed himself in gumboots behind the touchline just to 'stand out' and was a hopeless coach.
Henry isnt that stupid.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:33 am

No of course not taylorman. There´s no way Henry will get that cute with selections.

I´d have loved to have seen Jonah play test rugby in the forwards (he played 6 at Wesley College) just to see how he would´ve fared. But happy to have seen him on the wing where he did a lot of damage. I do remember him coming at number 8 on the scrum in one test.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 am

Well SBW is a good idea on the wing. It just AINT at this time. At the WC no one will be playing out of position. If they are then Henry aint the learner I thought he was.
The temptation is to think they have to have both Nonu and SBW or other players in the same position on the field somewhere at the same time- thats what caused the problem last time- trying to put too many eggs in one basket when weve never needed to do it at any other time.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:28 am

James Hook at full back; total waste of time and takes an attacking weapon right out of his game standing back there. Counter-attacking from that position has never been a strength of his.

Then there's another, Huw Bennet at hooker...
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:23 am

Paul Richards (the scrum-half/versatile back) has featured in a RWC final at flanker, although that was out of necessity born of injuries.

The reverse of that, a flanker at scrum-half - the Bergamasco fiasco - was, as mentioned earlier, one of the worst positional switches ever seen.

From an England perspective, Monye at 15 ruined the guy's confidence in the 2009 AIs. A class winger, he'd just got back from the Lions' tour and he got shoved into 15 for club and then for country against Australia and they just mercilessly targeted him.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:12 am

Look at the 13s from the last three WCs for the All Blacks. Ridiculous. Kirton's on some good electric puha.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 am

Note Wayne Smith today commented on this suggested and said if anyone moved to the wing it would be Nonu not SBW
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 pm

But he was quick to add that neither was going to happen. Cue sigh of relief that another player won´t play out of position (I know he´s played at wing before but that doesn´t mean he was any good, unlike Tana Umaga who made the move inside from the wing to outside centre and finally inside centre).

Smith said, I have a lot of time for Earle.

Reading between the lines, I´d say that roughly means stay the hell out of team selections you scarf-wearing gumboot freak. FAIL!!!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Hines seems to be endlessly picked at Flanker for Scotland, I have no idea why, he is a Fantastic lock but just does not have the pace or agility to play flanker.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Sam Norton knight at Outside half not brilliant.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Please pick SBW at winger. And Carter at lock, McCaw at prop etc. We have to have some chance.

Yours

An England fan

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:43 pm

This may seem a little pedantic, but Andy Robinson has thrice made the cardinal sin of using Alastair Dickinson as a tighthead, and on each occasion it has completely ruined our platform and been the principal reason for defeat.

We've also seen Laney at 15, Southwell in the centres, Hines at flanker, Henderson on the wing and Roland Reid on the wing. Horrid.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:07 pm

FES
But in defence of Robinson, it isn't as though he has the same resources to pick from as the ABs. Admitedly, I don't get Hines as a flanker when you have plenty of good batk row players, but I can see some justification in trying some things with your back line.

I note you don't comment on Sean Lamont at 12, where he's done OK despite it not being his ideal position.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by digitalshade Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Sam Norton knight at Outside half not brilliant.

I still have nightmares about that.

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:13 am

I can never remember who it was against but a couple of years ago in an early season magners league game Munster played Denis Leamy at 12.

Now it was only for one game and im pretty sure it was because we had nobody else to due injuries/suspensions but that was a strange one.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:16 am

dummy_half wrote:FES
But in defence of Robinson, it isn't as though he has the same resources to pick from as the ABs. Admitedly, I don't get Hines as a flanker when you have plenty of good batk row players, but I can see some justification in trying some things with your back line.

I note you don't comment on Sean Lamont at 12, where he's done OK despite it not being his ideal position.

I wasn't in favour of Lamont at 12, but was proved wrong on that score.

Dickinson at 3 was unforgivable though with Murray, Low and Cross all decent tightheads.

Southwell at centre was actually Matt Williams rather than Robinson, as was Laney at 15. I think Reid may have been Hadden. I assure you, in each of these cases there were better options. As for Andy Henderson on the wing - believe me that was uncalled for.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:21 pm

dummy_half wrote:Please pick SBW at winger. And Carter at lock, McCaw at prop etc. We have to have some chance.

Yours

An England fan

I bet McCaw with a little bit of surgery to remove a neck bone or two would be the best prop in the world inside 2 years laughing
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Luke McAlister was 13 for a game against Aussie. Mortlock ate him up. As he did MacDonald in the 03 WC. Now I know we've got a habit of picking people out of position at 13 in crucial tests but I'd say that took the cake as the most ridiculous.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down