The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is McDowell the next multiple major winner?

+16
navyblueshorts
GT350
Shotrock
pedro
Sand
1GrumpyGolfer
super_realist
Skydriver
oldshanker
Thomond
incontinentia
mystiroakey
Fader
JPX
kwinigolfer
barragan
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is McDowell the next multiple major winner? Empty Is McDowell the next multiple major winner?

Post by barragan Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

Been impressed with his attitude on the course of late, and of the euro's, other than mcilroy perhaps, i have a feeling he seems best equipped to deal with the pressure coming down the stretch. How far could he go though - i think he's capable of equaling harrington with 3 - especially if he can pull it out of the bag tomorrow.
Thoughts?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Is McDowell the next multiple major winner? Empty Re: Is McDowell the next multiple major winner?

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:27 am

Definitely, perhaps not #2 this week but he's a feel player who'll finesse his way to US Opens and Open Championships.
Would be astonished if he ever won The Masters.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Is McDowell the next multiple major winner? Empty Re: Is McDowell the next multiple major winner?

Post by JPX Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:42 am

personally I hope not

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 6:43 am

Can't really work out if I like him or loathe him, his mid atlantic accent is more than a little annoying. But he does play well on the big stage and isn't affraid to put himself in position unlike Lee and Luke.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:06 am

I like him but i dont warm to him. By the way Lee does put himself in the position. he just hasnt finished it off- Mac has finished it off once

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:08 am

But i am backing scott or zach fro this- so zach could actually be the next multiple winner- he is under the radar

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:28 am

I disagree that Lee puts himself in position, that would mean being in with a chance with 3 or 4 holes to go, he plays himself out of it by then and imo will never win a major

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

ermm not sure 3 or 4 holes to go is the benchmark for putting yourself in postion- but even so lee has been there or there abouts more than gmac with a few holes to go. gmac has won one though so thats the important stat

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

Mysti there is no benchmark other than having your name on one of the trophies, and imo Westy never will and I also don't buy into people deserving one etc the only deserving winners are the ones with lowest score after 72holes. Hopefully this week that'll be Scott or McDowell

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:21 am

right.. how does that argue your point that mcdowel has been in position more than westy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:23 am

Simple Mysti as per my previous post McDowell has his name on one Westwood does not! That is the benchmark!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

fader i dont understand what your arguing dude..

I mentioned that gmac has won one in my post and that that is the important fact- your confusing me mate- i thought you were arguing that macdowel has been in position more than westy- i am saying westy has- if you cant remember the times westy has been there or there abouts final day - just look at his record, or look back over the last 3 years of majors

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

There are a few contenders for next multiple major winner, Gmac, Bubba, Ooosthy, Kaymer if he gets his act together, Rory obviously, although I'm not sure if the hype around him is justified.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:30 am

rory is a golfer that has the potential to blitz a field- not many do have that in the locker

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:33 am

Mysti imo he has been in position more than Westwood! When was westwood in position down the stretch e.g coming down last few holes say last 3or4 needing to hold it together to close it out! As far as my can tell he has blown it before that stage. Gmac hasn't even if its only been on 1 occaision, that once was enough for GMac and that's the sign of a true champ.

I don't buy into people that end careers without big titles as being deserved etc, the best will win when it matters and those with the character to close out will. Imo Westwood lacks it when it matters. His putting can be blamed all he likes or other factors but end of day its a mentality you have to have. The most likely English major champ for me is Rose he seems to be stepping up mentally in bigger events more each year, he needs do it in a major now but he has the game for a PGA or a US Open imo.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

fader when you were talking about in postion to win- most will look at final day or last 9 holes- and westy has had a chance at that point on about 5 plus occasions.. even still he has been in with a chance last few on about 3 occasions, mac has been in that situation twice

Not sure the rest of what you are arguing has anything to do with the above either..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:38 am

incontinentia wrote:There are a few contenders for next multiple major winner, Gmac, Bubba, Ooosthy, Kaymer if he gets his act together, Rory obviously, although I'm not sure if the hype around him is justified.

I think your right about Oosty and Gmac. They step it up when the big events come and not much in their repsective games to let them down.

Bubba has potential for more green jackets as Ausgusta is ideal for him but can't see him winning either Opens, maybe a PGA.

Kaymer seems to be at odds with himself and what his game should be, since he started swing changes and no idea why he did that. Hopefully he can right the ship and deliver another major.

I agree about the hype about Rory, yes can blitz a field but can be equally as bad. Can't ever see him winning the Open.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

Mysti I'm arguing about when it matters, start of the final day is all well and good but the fact of matter is time it gets to the crucial point westwood has played himself out of it.

Stats can show he's been there more than Mac, they show monty as even better but end of day the only thing that matters is the winner! 2nd place is first loser in big events and imo Westy doesn't have it in him to dig deep enough and take one.

Other than that were probably in agreement about the rest

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:41 am

anyone can win an open- rory is very young, he has more chance in winning one that most- because he is a player who has acheived a level that is way above mosts peak at a very early stage in his carrer- next time the opens is at St andrews- watch out for him

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:43 am

Fader wrote:Mysti I'm arguing about when it matters, start of the final day is all well and good but the fact of matter is time it gets to the crucial point westwood has played himself out of it.

Stats can show he's been there more than Mac, they show monty as even better but end of day the only thing that matters is the winner! 2nd place is first loser in big events and imo Westy doesn't have it in him to dig deep enough and take one.

Other than that were probably in agreement about the rest

fader - the simple fact is westy has put himself in a position toi win a major on many occasions- he hasnt acheived it though- i am not gonna argue any more on this- I watch every major religiously, stats are immaterial to me. But for soemone who may not have seen them its a good starting point. the only important fact is the win , gmac has one- westy has none

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

Of course he can mysti, so can anyone. Imo I don't think he will, simply my opinion not fact its just what I think.

No doubt he has the potential to be a great of the game with his talent but I think there'll be others who win plenty more than him.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:49 am

Its all about potential at the moment fader- the fact is he has closed out allready and he is young.. so he is the fav for 3 or more in my mind- at present the favs are gmac and zach for 2- because both have a chance today

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:55 am

I agree Mysti and I said that he has the potential to be a great of the game. It was and is just my opinion others will win more than him.

Also with all his potential and Tiger comparisons 3 majors would be underachievement in many peoples eyes. I would prefer McDowell to end his career with more majors than Rory if I'm honest though.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:58 am

Fader the reality is is that some one else will win more- but thats just simple odds- there are 200 other golfers out there so by that rationale mcilroy is not the fav- but when we argue one player against mcilroy he is the fav because he has the most potential and 1 major at an early age.

Its easy to say 'others' will win more- its much harder to say which individulas will, it could be anyone

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

Don't really see the point in arguing this at all considering as I said its merely my opinion not a fact!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:14 am

fader i am not arguing it-Its surely everyones opinion when you think about it logically. If you want to argue against mcilroy- then mention a player that will win more.. You are arguing the pack v mcilroy.. It puts you in a good position. Stick your neck out, go for an individual

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

personally if i was gonna go for a player from here on to win more majors than rory (that either has one or none- i would possibly go for tiger if its based on anyone from this point on).

I would go for H english, thats really sticking my neck out

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

Ok, I'll go with Simpson, McDowell, English and Cantlay all to take more than Rory.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

All 4 ! thats some going dude, we will know in 25 years time Is McDowell the next multiple major winner? 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:55 am

McIlroy has the talent to win more than Harrington anyway. He needs to dump the danish squeeze though. Both seemed to have gone to pot since they started going out.

As for GMac, don't see him winning today but he seems to have been playing well recently and has the temperament and bottle when needed to finish a tournament out. Could see him winning another one or two. Would be another great Irish success at the Open if he pulls it out of the bag today!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Its all about getting that 1 major!! as we in england know. Success breeds success. I want a hamilton f1 win, gmac open win, wiggins tdf win and a fight back from england in the cricket today!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

Is McDowell the next multiple major winner?

Obviously he is - he's my reserve in the fantasy golf!

Always good to see your reserve doing well. Headscratch
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Sun 22 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

He's wearing a cardigan(!) - could today be his day again?

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 22 Jul 2012, 4:41 pm

Whtly does mcdowell call himself gmac?

Surely it should be gmc? He's a Mc, not a Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 22 Jul 2012, 4:52 pm

Not today anyway

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 22 Jul 2012, 5:03 pm

Would that be Gmc , pronounced gimick super?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 22 Jul 2012, 5:05 pm

Looks like he's blown it this time. Bit like Casey when he was chasing oosty.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 6:38 pm

well the winner this time hasnt aided the debate!! no new winner and no single winner turning into a multiple- just applying justice to the legend of E ells and getting him upto 4!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 22 Jul 2012, 7:03 pm

How bad was his hybrid left on the par 5..... Wow.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 22 Jul 2012, 8:59 pm

I wonder if Els would have holed the putt on 18 if it was the last putt of the day? Maybe the fact that he thought it wouldn't be enough anyway helped him?

Real shame for Scott, really wanted him to win. I hope he does a McIlroy. Still at least it wasn't McDowell Smile.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:31 pm

Hopefully Woods' 'injury' is long term, although I think realistically it was a ruse to cover up how bad he is with the driver.

A golfer being that inept off the tee is as bad as the England football team not being able to pass it to one another.

His skills seem to be receding with his hairline.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

having a good day SR?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:36 pm

Gmac hits many fairways, which usually is a good thing in majors...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:39 pm

pedro wrote:Gmac hits many fairways, which usually is a good thing in majors...
Err what?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

so is putting ,iron play, chipping, course managemnet and bunker play an all

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:52 am

Next multi-major winner? Rory most likely, Gmac and Watson a close second IMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:53 am

Rory?

You asked what someone based their choice of Donald as a winner of the net major as and deemed it pretty questionable, can't see any different for McIlroy right now. Just because he's won one doesn't mean anything. You might as well have Yang, Curtis, Bradley, Simpson , Watson etc on that criteria.

Him and Wozniaki need to ditch each other for the good of their careers and McIlroy needs to get back to Europe and Chandler.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:02 am

Based on Rory's form and my dislike of all his hype I cannot see him bagging multiple anythings except for MC's anytime soon.

I think Simspon is much more likely to be the next multiple winner, he seems to get himself into good position to win more often than not and is far more consistent. Rory is to much like Woods no idea who is going to turn up the one that can blitz a field in easy conditions or the one that fades with moan and whimper when it's slightly breezy.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 23 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

JPX wrote:
pedro wrote:Gmac hits many fairways, which usually is a good thing in majors...
Err what?
The punishment for missing fairways is much harder at majors, in particular US and British Opens, compared to regular tournaments. Typically we have narrower fairways and higher roughs.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GT350 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:42 am

The way things are shaping up, the next multiple major winner (from today) looks like being Tiger Woods.
If you're really only referring to new blood then I'd have to go with McIlroy. He's good enough and more importantly young enough to be hitting his stride as Woods retires and leaves the door open again.

GT350

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next