The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

long putters .....the first major winner?

+12
beninho
Yadsendew
baboo800
NedB-H
sharrison01
Pr4wn
JDandfries
Enforcer
LondonJonnyO
MustPuttBetter
Adam D
aharvey
16 posters

Go down

long putters .....the first major winner? Empty long putters .....the first major winner?

Post by aharvey Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm

who do think will be the first player to win a major using the long putter
i think it could be Adam Scott

aharvey

Back to top Go down

long putters .....the first major winner? Empty Re: long putters .....the first major winner?

Post by Adam D Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm

I did a thread about long putters a little while back:

https://www.606v2.com/t3263-long-putters-what-are-your-thoughts

Some comments on there were questioning whether someone had won with them already. Thought you might be interested in the link.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

long putters .....the first major winner? Empty Re: long putters .....the first major winner?

Post by aharvey Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

i,m neither for or against them .but if they work then why not use them?

aharvey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

Hobo - no offence mate, constructive criticism really, but by posting links to similar old threads on all new threads you kinda stop the conversation there and then, at least to some extent

I may be the only one but it feels like 'bleep, done this one already!.....'
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Hobo - no offence mate, constructive criticism really, but by posting links to similar old threads on all new threads you kinda stop the conversation there and then, at least to some extent

You're not the only one. It's a bit pathetic really and I don't see the value in it at all.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

The conversation regarding peoples thoughts on long putters has been done before. This thread is related to who will be the first Major winner to use them, Hobo provided a link to (what he felt) was an interesting topic for anyone interested, but that shouldn't detract from the different question being asked here.

If the threads were asking the same thing they would have been merged to keep the debate together.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm

Enforcer - exactly

To me, providing the link (on other threads too) feels a bit like 'don't waste your time, we've done this'

As i say, constructive criticism
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

Sure Sam Torrance must have won a major with one when he was playing!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm

JDandfries wrote:Sure Sam Torrance must have won a major with one when he was playing!

No majors in potatoheads bag JD
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:Hobo - no offence mate, constructive criticism really, but by posting links to similar old threads on all new threads you kinda stop the conversation there and then, at least to some extent

You're not the only one. It's a bit pathetic really and I don't see the value in it at all.

Hi Guys,

This is now getting a little out of hand. All Hobo was try to do was further the debate by referring members to a previous thread.

Could we please not single anyone, espeically Admins, out for criticism like this.

As we can see, it takes the debate off topic and we're all here to talk about Golf, not Hobo.

If you have a concern regarding a post then please use the "Report" facility.

Thanks Guys.

P

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

johnny - really the great Sam Torrance never won a major??

The way he goes on you would think he had won about 50

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

Best finish he had was 5th in the Open. He hardly ever played any others during his time on tour.

Pr4wn. As mentioned... I personally have no real issue with Hobo. But I don't think the merge option or this pointless reference to other threads is constructive. What you're saying is that if it's been discussed before use that instead of writing something similar. Which I personally see as restrictive.

What I do have a problem with is Hobo feeling that it is appropriate to insult others and then hide behind the rules he is supposed to enforce when he's called on it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

Pr4wn - so we're not allowed to communicate with Hobo in any way other than to directly discuss golf? Surely part of the forum is to engender 'team spirit' as much as discuss golf. It would be very boring if not.

All i offered was a piece of advice, take it or leave it.

I don't get the 'pls don't single out, especially admins, for criticism'.
a) what's wrong with a constructive comment, and
b) why especially admins??

Gees! Rolling Eyes
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

The merge option is one of the site rules and is designed to prevent repeat topics occuring over and over which can become tedious. It won't happen everytime, especially if the threads were a long time apart - I was just pointing out what the board position is.
As for posting links to relevant discussions, it is no different to me posting a link to the BBC (for example) discussing the issue - and I fail to see why the post was such an issue it had to be labelled pathetic on here.

LJO, if you feel there has been abuse from Hobo on this thread please report it. If not there is no need for it to be discussed here.

MPB, I think it is the pathetic comment and the series of posts seemingly having a go at Hobo made recently that Pr4wn is referring to.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

There is a similar Mod on the Boxing forum, all he does is slate other peoples opinions and mock them when he disagrees, and then if you have a go back, he deletes your threads.

Either be a mod, and moderate, or join in the debate freely

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:16 pm

Enforcer wrote:LJO, if you feel there has been abuse from Hobo on this thread please report it. If not there is no need for it to be discussed here.

No need. I had my say and as mentioned at the time... the guy amuses me when he does it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Mods, I think that you are being very petty and unfair here. MPB made a very valid point, one that was my initial thought, and he made it in a polite and constructive way.

When I clicked on this thread I thought that it sounded like an interesting topic. I read down to Hobo's comment and thought "that's a shame, he's killed it." I understand that he was just posting a link but his post felt very blunt. MPB on the other hand made a valid point in the correct manner and has been criticised for it. This does not seem right.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Don't get too heavy with the modding chaps

This thread was neither out of hand or particularly off topic until two mods jumped in the 'save' Hobo.

Nothing untoward had been said towards Hobo - i've certainly no problem with him - and there really was no need for mod intervention here

It's getting a bit too close to 'your view/opinion doesn't matter, what we say goes'.
When a forum gives the impression that your view doesn't matter - it's finished
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

To answer the question though.

Majors have already been won using a longer than standard putter.

Cabrera with his belly putter in the Masters and Langer has several seniors opens with one.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Did Vijay use a belly putter?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:43 pm

I don't have a problem with posting links to old threads. I've been on messageboards where every thread on a vaguely similar topic gets merged to the orginal, and that just ends up with a front page full of 300-page threads. And I've also been on boards where no one bothers about repeated topics, and the front page can have half a dozen identical threads on it. Posting links is a good compromise I think.

And I don't have a problem with long putters either, for that matter. Not expecting too many majors to be won with them soon though, just because people tend to switch to them when they're not playing well, and people not playing well don't win many majors.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:43 pm

Not for his first major. But very possibly for the other two.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

Good shout re Vijay, i hadn't even thought about him

How about Sergio to be the first to win a Major using the funny claw grip thing??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:46 pm

Scratch that last.

Vijay had a conventional putter for all of his majors.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Mods, I think that you are being very petty and unfair here. MPB made a very valid point, one that was my initial thought, and he made it in a polite and constructive way.

When I clicked on this thread I thought that it sounded like an interesting topic. I read down to Hobo's comment and thought "that's a shame, he's killed it." I understand that he was just posting a link but his post felt very blunt. MPB on the other hand made a valid point in the correct manner and has been criticised for it. This does not seem right.

Well said

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

I'm sure you folks will put me straight but didn't Vijay Singh win the US PGA in 2004 at Whistling Straits with a long putter?,

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

Having said there as no need for mod intervention, re Baboon on the other hand.........
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:49 pm

Yadsendew wrote:I'm sure you folks will put me straight but didn't Vijay Singh win the US PGA in 2004 at Whistling Straits with a long putter?,

no. He used a conventional putter I have just found out. Although the interview I read has Vijay saying his belly putter was in the locker just in case.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:54 pm

Senior moment........now I know I've lost it 🤦

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

mustPuttBetter - PM for you.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

http://www.sportphotogallery.com/Photos/Golf/Vijay-Singh/Vijay-Singh-2004-PGA-Champion-SPGASGF412.aspx

No long putter for Vij in 2004 from these pics.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

Boys - can you stop the bickering? It's getting tedious. If you don't want to read a link to a previous posting, on a now-defunct forum, then ignore it. I did.

I think everyone is getting a little too precious on here at times and I'm begining to lose interest, as you can probably tell from my lack of postings.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

Changing the subject again. Are you back out on the course again LP?

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Sadly not, LJ. I now have a problem with my right knee to add to everything else (although the hips are fine). Haven't actually played for 2 years although have been to the range and can still remember which end of the stick to hold. That being said, we've got a bit more into motorsport now (were marshalling at Goodwood FoS last weekend which was ace - up close and personal with cars and drivers) and this coming Sunday we're at Debden airfield (not too far from you, I think) for his Lordship to do a sprint event (will have to record the Grand Prix).

Sorry to everyone for being off-topic but he did ask!!!!!!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

LadyPutt, my apologies as i started the 'bickering', although i have to say i didn't expect bickering to be the consequence!

I hope you become more interested again soon as i enjoy reading your comments OK
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:23 pm

Changes made to this:

There are two Debdens in Essex. The first is up near Saffron Walden and is RAF Debdens location.

The other is just next to Theydon Bois and there is an aerodrome just along from Abridge which I can't imagine has much in terms of racing space. Mostly as it's just a single tarmac runway with no sidestrip to allow the cars to return.

North Weald airfield is a different matter however. They do have races there... and if you do go there it's well worth looking around at some of the aircraft they have hangered there.

Find out which it is as on the Sunday I'll be playing the 2nd round of my Club Champs just across the road at the golf course. I'll buy you a pint or a sherry... or whatever.

Last edited by LondonJonnyO on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Boys - can you stop the bickering? It's getting tedious. If you don't want to read a link to a previous posting, on a now-defunct forum, then ignore it. I did.

I think everyone is getting a little too precious on here at times and I'm begining to lose interest, as you can probably tell from my lack of postings.

Couldn't agree more LP.

I just have one comment to make on the moderation issues then hopefully we can all get back to discussing golf.

The link given by Hobo wasn't to a posting on a previous, now-defunct forum, it was to a thread already existing here on v2. However, as Hobo has said, he didn't lock or merge threads; he pointed out that there was another thread here with similar characteristics that, if people foudn this topic interesting, they may also find the other one interesting if they'd missed it first time around.

we can, and do on occasions, merge threads. I've done it myself in the past and posted a comment to say I'd done it and why. No one has ever complained before - it was one of the most disliked things about old 606 there was continual duplication of threads, often 3 or 4 on the same topic on the same page! Personally I wouldn't necessarily go back pages and pages to find a similar thread, but that's just me. I think I myself a couple of weeks ago pointed out on someone's thread that a certain topic had already been done before and gave a link to the original article. I received no complaints about that.

As a slight aside, but on the same general subject, much has been said on a couple of golf threads today about twitter; we have a v2golf twitter account that I set up, and which I tried to use to generate some interest, but as others here have commented, I'm not really "into" twitter and didn't have the time, nor the patience to push it hard.

We have a desire to grow all of V2 - not just the golf section but all the sections. Twitter has proved to be a useful tool in promoting other sections and so Hobo asked me if he could take a shot at the golf twitter account to try to drum up some more support and more members for the golf section.

A few of the long-time members here have expressed a worry that v2 would grow stale and never attract new blood in the way the BBC 606 did through it's use of links from the BBC sports pages. Our very own Kwini who I think everyone respects here even expressed this doubt to me a few times when I was trying to get him to come and join us over here - wondering how we would ever draw new blood in from around the world. Twitter (like it or not) would appear to be one such tool that could be very valuable in keeping this place alive and not stagnating.

In the course of taking over the golf twitter account, Hobo has already got us retweeted and noticed by people such as Frankie Molinari, Christina Kim, Denis Pugh, Becky Brewerton, as well as the much lamigned Guardian journalist that drew so much flak yesterday. Oh yes, and Peter Alliss. Part of trying to get so many people to mention us and hopefully get more members joining means that Hobo has been paying mroe attention than usual to the threads here (incuding making a few remarks about certain posts which may be considered a little "off-colour").

I have dealt with some reports on golf section posts. Some I have agreed with and edited out certain comments. Some I have considered to be complaints that had no real validity and let the reported post stand. In general I prefer to take a quiet role in moderating the forum, and always try just to have a quiet word with anyone who I feel is getting close to the mark, rather than make a big song and dance over it. No one has (yet) complained about my moderation style (either for being too strict or too lax). I hope that means you are all happy with my style of modding and I also hope that people will contact me (privately) if they feel I should be doing more (or less).

I don't believe any of us want the golf forum to stagnate; for this not to be the case, we need new members to be continually joining us - and twitter seems to be the best option at the moment for gettnig us noticed. Sadly this means that we may need to (volulntarily) show a little more respect for people who may be tweeting or retweeting us - or they will stop!

I'm disappointed that some people have chosen to complain about what has been christened "casual racism". If I were to see something posted that as maliciously racist, I would be the first to remove it; for other "lesser" offenses, it is MY opinion that some people should grow a thicker skin - but MY opinion on that matter doesn't count for much. Indeed the French can (and do) get very vocal about us Brits. Do we worry about it? I know I don't. It's a little disappointing when we get reports about posts from people who dont even contribute to the golf forum, but that's human nature I guess.

Anyway - that's my two pennorth. Hopefully I've made a few points clearer to those who persevered through to the bottom of the post. Maybe now we can get back to talking about golf

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:30 pm

Wrong Debden, LJ. The airfield's in the village of Debden, near Saffron Walden. I know that because a colleague of mine left Harlow to go to Debden (your one, indeed your snooker club as was) and ended up in rural north Essex over an hour later before he realised the sat nav had taken him to the wrong place. 🤦
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Wrong Debden, LJ. The airfield's in the village of Debden, near Saffron Walden. I know that because a colleague of mine left Harlow to go to Debden (your one, indeed your snooker club as was) and ended up in rural north Essex over an hour later before he realised the sat nav had taken him to the wrong place. 🤦

Yeah. realised that and changed the post. Bloody placenames. If it's called the same thing it should be suffixed with a numeral! Debden the 1st, Debden the 2nd etc. Whistle

Again as a subject change. I notice that club has now closed again. I think because of illegal poker games running constantly.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

oh. A word of advice for LP. the roads around Stansted have been infested with speed cops of late. I've seen people pulled over by unmarked cars all over the place.. So be a good driver and keep the toe up! Particularly if Lordy is racing then driving. It's easy to get a bit quick after that.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

Very well written Davie and couldn't agree more that your moderating has been well handled and fair.

With regards to the moderation on this thread I still feel like it was a bit heavy handed. MPB made a good point in a respectful and fair manner. If Hobo had a problem with this then he should have kept this private and not involved other mods to make his point. I thought that Hobo's 1st post was a bit blunt, which I am sure was not his intention, but in involving other mods Hobo made an issue out of nothing. He should have accepted MPB's constructive criticism or disagreed with him in private and in involving other mods this has evoked a reaction from other posters.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

Davie, fair enough and i do see what you're saying. Ive said this to Hobo in response to his PM but here's a excerpt, and is the reason i made the 'complaint' - which it wasn't by the way.........

"Whilst i do understand what you're saying about the duplication of threads, i also do think that it is to some extent this duplication that keeps the thing going. There are only so many things in golf to talk about and the most popular will inevitably pop up time and time again. Otherwise, imagine for example you joined 606v2 tomorrow and you really wanted to discuss some of the subjects on your mind - will Westwood win a Major, what advances have there been in technology, all that popular stuff. You decide to get involved and you post an article about someone winning a Major with a long putter and your first response is from a mod saying 'we've already done that'.
I absolutely know you didn't mean it that way but that's how i read it and i assumed therefore that some others might have too. In this regard i thought yourself, Enforcer and Co might be interested in my take on including those links in a topic.
You may agree, you may disagree, either are fine. What got me a little touchy was basically being told that i wasn't allowed to give that view"

I hope that explains.
I'd hate to see a forum where the only thing discussed was types of spikes and how many tees you had in your bag because all the good topics had been done once already. It wouldn't last long

Back to golf then hey!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

Knew it had closed, but assumed it just wasn't viable. Sad if that is the reason.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

Thanks LJ - I'll keep my eyes peeled for peelers, especially the pesky unmarked ones.

Yes, it is the Debden near Saffron Walden which is part of Carver Barracks. We'll be at North Weald (again) for a sprint on August Bank Holiday Sunday.

MPB - apology accepted and thanks for the OK
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:44 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Knew it had closed, but assumed it just wasn't viable. Sad if that is the reason.

It was viable. It was mobbed in there friday and saturday nights as they had big poker events and people brought friends and family. Could hardly move at times.

But it was also known for having a 'back-room' cash game going constantly. Had to be the reason I reckon.

Ladyputt wrote:
Thanks LJ - I'll keep my eyes peeled for peelers, especially the pesky unmarked ones.

Yes, it is the Debden near Saffron Walden which is part of Carver Barracks. We'll be at North Weald (again) for a sprint on August Bank Holiday Sunday.

No worries. When you get over here for the North Weald one drop along at the club. Or if it's a bit later drop by Theydon Bois. A pint in the Sunday sunshine at the local is always pleasant. Slug will be around I have no doubt and you can review his 16 month old (at that time) golfing prowess. Yahoo
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:48 pm

Davie

Can i just mention that i had a little chuckle when i saw a retweet from frankie molinari and Christina Kim yesterday.

Good work

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down