The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Shiny Is The Gold Medal Now?

+10
laverfan
The Special Juan
barrystar
lydian
lags72
JuliusHMarx
reckoner
HM Murdock
spuranik
hawkeye
14 posters

Go down

How Shiny Is The Gold Medal Now? Empty How Shiny Is The Gold Medal Now?

Post by hawkeye Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:57 am

I have updated the title of this article as "next week" is nearly "this week" but left the article unchanged for historical reasons...

Of course next week the Olympic gold (men's singles tennis) will have a new owner. At first It will of course shine as only gold can when it is worn by the proud winner. But will it remain as shiny?

I would guess it would stay at it's shiny best if Federer gets to wear it. Some of Federer's own glitter would get added to the medal making it doubly shiny. If Djokovic becomes the new owner it would still have shine but it would be at it's shiny best in Serbia. If Murray were to win it when it was placed around his neck it would almost explode with shine. Some of the magnificent shine from the medal would rub off on Murray.

If anyone else wins it the shine might begin to wear off quite quickly and by the time the US Open comes around it would even look a little dull. In fact Nadal back home in Majorca might find that his own medal doesn't respond to polishing in quite the same way...

Last edited by hawkeye on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

How Shiny Is The Gold Medal Now? Empty Re: How Shiny Is The Gold Medal Now?

Post by spuranik Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 am

Pfffff.... Give it a rest.

All this olympic talk and whining is getting a bit tiresome.

spuranik

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:53 am

If Novak goes through the Wimbledon winner, the Wimbledon runner up, the Wimbledon semi-finalist and a three time former Wimbledon finalist, then I'd say that will be a pretty darn shiny medal!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:01 am

Sigh... Roger hasn't even won the medal yet and some people are trying to get a bit of the shine.

http://the-slice.com/2012/07/photo-of-the-day-federinka-on-houses-of-parliament/

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am

This is clearly a medal bashing article. Anyway I'm sure a bit of Brasso will help restore the shine should there be some problem in that regard. (Brasso does work on gold, right?)

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:47 am

Brasso will clean gold, but contains abrasives which would scratch and devalue the item.
Collectors are quite finicky about condition.
An Olympic gold medal is actually gold-plated silver, I believe, so if you use Brasso too much it will rub the gold plate off and you'll end up with a silver medal.
Brasso was not a Marx Brother.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 am

Brasso Marx followed an entirely different career path to his brothers - sadly he rubbed out the wrong guy and was never heard from again.

Well alrght then a spot of electroplating should do the trick!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 am

JHM, reckoner, I like this OK

I find the information surrounding the characteristics and constituents of materials used for the medals - and the best means of retaining their lustre - far more fascinating than yet another series of not-so-subtle comments on the competing players Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am

Nadal was more bronzed than golden.

But like others I am a bit brassed off with this relentless hogwash and moonshine, it is really tarnishing the Oy you limpics Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 am

"I love the smell of Brasso in the morning..."
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 am

Cryptic clue: Short Britain bares buttocks (five letters).

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Anyone see Boris last night? He said our team was going to win a haul of gold silver and bronze medals that would be enough to bail out Greece and Spain.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Roger looking to defend his very shiny singles medal....

Image:
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:13 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Roger looking to defend his very shiny singles medal....

Image:

Ha ha! Did you do the scribbling The Special Juan? You needn't have bothered. Have you noticed that Federer's doubles (cough...) medal looks as shiny as the singles gold medal that Nadal won. In fact maybe even shinier now that that particular singles gold medal is safely out of view in Majorca.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 pm

No I didn't do it unfortunately; I don't have the skills on Paint to do it.

https://twitter.com/#!/PseudoFed/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2Ftr0G1F4c
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm

I think Stan the Man is carrying the SUI flag this year.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:04 pm

laverfan wrote:I think Stan the Man is carrying the SUI flag this year.
Yeah, Fed probably has an early start Saturday and threw him the bone.

Actually probably a nice gestureby someone, wasn't Federer given it originally?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:41 am

bogbrush wrote:
laverfan wrote:I think Stan the Man is carrying the SUI flag this year.
Yeah, Fed probably has an early start Saturday and threw him the bone.

Actually probably a nice gestureby someone, wasn't Federer given it originally?

Yes, he was but he passed it on after discussing it with SUI officials. He was not in the athletes march-past either. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 am

This is very strange. I have not been watching Olympic tennis and of course I have no way of seeing the Olympic gold medal so I think I may be developing psychic powers...

I can sense a subtle strengthening of the Olympic gold medal's shininess. I feel this difference in shininess may be more obvious to those that had thought that for the last four years it had looked a little dull and looked more like brass than true gold. Has anyone else experienced this?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:42 am

hawkeye wrote:I can sense a subtle strengthening of the Olympic gold medal's shininess. I feel this difference in shininess may be more obvious to those that had thought that for the last four years it had looked a little dull and looked more like brass than true gold. Has anyone else experienced this?

Laugh an olympic gold has always been shiny h_e - maybe not as lustrous as a 100 metres og, but very shiny nevertheless. I think the argument has been with those who think the WTF trophy is nothing more than unpolished stainless steel, when it is, in fact, the championship of the year between the very best players of the year.

The line up for the semis was worthy of any slam semi line up. Great to see del Potro back in form - wish he would hurry up between points though, I reckon you could have knocked an hour and a half off the match length if the umpire had done his job.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Wow!

I did imagine that if Murray won the Olympic medal it would almost explode with shininess. What I didn't realise is that it's shininess would block out everything else that shines. A bit like the sun. On another thread certain posters are now of the opinion that Murray is now a superior player to Nadal.

https://www.606v2.com/t33327-who-is-the-world-s-best-returner-of-serve

Poor Rafa with his dull Olympic medal and meaningless slams...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:10 pm

These medals all shine and show great athletes behind them. Happy to see the OG being successful. The usual 'my-da-is-bigger....' is so puerile.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:36 pm

There is great stories behind lots of the medals.

Who knows what Laura Robson will acheive, but at the end of career, even if doesn't amount to much, she will have an Olympic silver.

At the other end of the age scale almost, Julien Benneteau, a journeyman pro whose career has been a handful of lost finals. Now an Olympic bronze medallist. Overjoyed by what he acheived.

For del Potro, a medal that tells him he might make the Top 4 a top 5 again.

For Murray, a medal that tells him he can win a slam.

The shine you take from your medal depends on what you want to take from it.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 pm

I would hazard a guess that the medal is very shiny around the US Open trophy and next to his silver medal too Very Happy

Hawky in fact you could get a job as 'chief polisher' to his trophies and medals.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:54 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I would hazard a guess that the medal is very shiny around the US Open trophy and next to his silver medal too Very Happy

Hawky in fact you could get a job as 'chief polisher' to his trophies and medals.

HE is very busy polishing 28 slams, and various sundry OG medals. Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:01 pm

laverfan wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I would hazard a guess that the medal is very shiny around the US Open trophy and next to his silver medal too Very Happy

HE is very busy polishing 28 slams, and various sundry OG medals. Run

Ha ha! I have just checked and those particular slams and medals look amazingly shiny without any help from me.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:26 pm

It's funny, all slams and medals shine and tarnish equally in my world - it's called reality. I am quite happy there Very Happy Yahoo

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 pm

carrieg4 wrote:It's funny, all slams and medals shine and tarnish equally in my world - it's called reality. I am quite happy there Very Happy Yahoo

How sad. The musical equivalent would be described as tone deaf. Of course it's possible to be quite happy being tone deaf but that's because you would have no idea what your missing...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 am

hawkeye wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:It's funny, all slams and medals shine and tarnish equally in my world - it's called reality. I am quite happy there Very Happy Yahoo

How sad. The musical equivalent would be described as tone deaf. Of course it's possible to be quite happy being tone deaf but that's because you would have no idea what your missing...

Nope, I just don't invest in the false notion that something is worth more because it is mine or my favourite won it. It's called respect...................

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am

hawkeye wrote:

Well there are subtitles....

My brother is deaf and he enjoyed the Murray music number OK

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am

Murray's medal is newer and so more likely to be shinier. Although Rafa and Fed had plenty of time on Monday to clean theirs. Murray was busy that day.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:38 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Murray's medal is newer and so more likely to be shinier. Although Rafa and Fed had plenty of time on Monday to clean theirs. Murray was busy that day.
Indeed. I understand Federers collection of original and replica trophies is in disarray after the team of caretakers required walked out in disgust at his decision to start adding heavily to their workload in late 2011.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 pm

bogbrush wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Murray's medal is newer and so more likely to be shinier. Although Rafa and Fed had plenty of time on Monday to clean theirs. Murray was busy that day.
Indeed. I understand Federers collection of original and replica trophies is in disarray after the team of caretakers required walked out in disgust at his decision to start adding heavily to their workload in late 2011.

Very inconsiderate of him, he should really employ extra staff if he is going to carry on this way.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm

It is true that new things always look shiny but the test of real gold is how long it keeps it shine. Rafa and Fed have a vast collection of the real stuff. Luckily (as they have so many) real gold doesn't require maintenance. Any polishing that is done is purely for nostalgic and vanity purposes... My guess is that Federer's collection gets the most attention.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

Nope, I just don't invest in the false notion that something is worth more because it is mine or my favourite won it. It's called respect...................

I know it's not politically correct to say so but some things are worth more than other things. If respect means denying this then I am a rebel...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm

hawkeye wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

I know it's not politically correct to say so but some things are worth more than other things. If respect means denying this then I am a rebel...

Yes but you are attributing a differing value to the same thing depending on the winner. Not rebellious, just a bit silly..........

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:05 pm

No not dependent on the winner dependent on how it is won. Stlyle, beauty, context, meaning... Call it what you want but I think "gold" is a good descriptive term.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Well the Olympic Gold was won against arguably the best player who ever played who is also the current world no. 1 , at Wimbledon. Pretty shiny king

The USO wasn't the most beautiful match but the context and meaning are above reproach so again very, very shiny Very Happy

Fantastic, thanks to your rationale, AMs achievements are even better. Thank you. clap

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:32 pm

cariege4

Ha ha! Good try. All that glitters isn't gold but who am I to tell you not to enjoy it.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:38 pm

hawkeye wrote:cariege4

Ha ha! Good try. All that glitters isn't gold but who am I to tell you not to enjoy it.

Yep, but this actually is gold - well on the OG medal anyway.

Here's hoping Nadal returns soon so you can enjoy the tennis too Bubbly

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down