The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Day 4 Thread

+11
carrieg4
Josiah Maiestas
User 774433
gboycottnut
lags72
laverfan
bogbrush
reckoner
invisiblecoolers
time please
The Special Juan
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Olympic Day 4 Thread Empty Olympic Day 4 Thread

Post by The Special Juan Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm

Centre Court: Venus Williams v Wozniak then Nieminen v Murray then Roddick v Djokovic then Robson v Sharapova

Court 1: Tsonga v Raonic then Kirilenko v Watson then Azarenka v Martinez Sanchez then Ferrer v Kavcic

Court 2: Lisicki v Shvedova then Cilic v Hewitt then Kerber/Lisicki v Williams/Williams then Elrich/Ram v Federer v Wawrinka

Court 12: Klepac/Srebotnik v Errani/Vinci then Lepchanko v Goerges then ? v Melo/Soares then Goerges/Gronefeld v Makarova/Vesnina

Court 14: Babos v Kerber then Davydenko v Nishikori then Huber/Raymond v Radwanska/Radwanska then Brunstrom/Lindstedt v Cilic/Dodig

Court 15: Berdych/Stepanek v Bracciali/Seppi then Hlavackova/Hredecka v Li/Zhang then Benneteau/Gasquet v Bhupathi/Bopanna then Paes/Vardan v Llodra/Tsonga

Court 17: Medina Garrigues/Parra Santonja v Pennetta/Schiavone then Tipsarevic/Zimonjic v Nestor/Pospisil then Chuang/Hsieh v ?

Court 18: Gasquet v Baghdatis then Tatishvili v Petrova then Lopez v Monaco then Bryan/Bryan v Davydenko/Youzhny
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Day 4 Thread Empty Re: Olympic Day 4 Thread

Post by time please Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:30 pm

Two Brits on Centre Court tomorrow - should be electric (even though sound will be muted on my tv for the second of them!)

Tsonga vs Raonic might be a very interesting match.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm

Roddick vs. Djoko is very interesting, I smell an upset here.

Cilic vs. Hewitt is tough too, another one I expect an upset.

Elrich/Ram is more than a strong opponent and their match will be interesting against Fedrinka. I will call it an upset if Fedrinka wins.

Davydenko vs. Kei Nishikori is interesting, no idea which Davy will turn up.

Gasquert vs. Baghdatis another close one.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:07 pm

Good shout invisible, and thanks for these articles special Juan.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:14 pm

No problemo.

Sniff of an upset with Robson? Baghdatis can beat Gasquet but I'd rather it was Gasquet who played Murray. Roddick v Djokovic will potentially be a good match but it may end up one sided. Shame I'll have to miss that one.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:15 pm

I give Roddick a chance if he serves brilliantly.

Federinka getting the draw payback for Federer; these, then if they win they get Dumb & Dumber. Revenge match.....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

Will Zimonjic v Nestor have any edge to it?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:10 am

Haven't seen Djok play, how's he looking?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:17 am

reckoner wrote:Haven't seen Djok play, how's he looking?

Singles was initial jitters. Doubles was Crying or Very sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:11 am

I found this comment on doping to be very sound and true:

Australian swimming legend and BBC analyst Ian Thorpe adds his view to the Ye Shiwen controversy: "How we should talk about it is that we should take away the nationality. If we had an athlete from Team GB who dropped three seconds we would say 'Wow'. I took five seconds off my time in the 400m freestyle from 15-16. We have to remember young swimmers can take off chunks of time others can't. We should wait. This is what I don't like in sport, when people are successful people say it is because of drugs."

I highlighted the 2 sentences in bold which I think are very true.

This is not to start another doping discussion or anything, just for me that the 2 sentences for me are a reflection of the tolerance that should be exhibited if we people are to consider such a notion if athletes in any sport enjoy positive results.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

I thought it was funny when they made that thing undergo gender testing after the last Olympics.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:46 am

Caught around 10 mins or so of the women's archery a little earlier. Never really bothered in the past, but the skill /accuracy really is amazing when you consider target area in relation to distance (and you won't get that quality of expert analysis from the BBC .....)

The venue is Lord's cricket ground. Fine setting + very big crowds. Sadly there was a heavy overcast sky, dark threatening clouds, a chill wind and (apparently) quite low temperatures.

Can't help thinking how much better it might be for both the competitors and spectators if these outdoor Olympic events were held in summer.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

I think Serena will end up with 3 gold medals:

Women's Singles
Women's Doubles with Venus
Mixed Doubles with a Bryan brother.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

lags72 wrote:Caught around 10 mins or so of the women's archery a little earlier. Never really bothered in the past, but the skill /accuracy really is amazing when you consider target area in relation to distance (and you won't get that quality of expert analysis from the BBC .....)

The venue is Lord's cricket ground. Fine setting + very big crowds. Sadly there was a heavy overcast sky, dark threatening clouds, a chill wind and (apparently) quite low temperatures.

Can't help thinking how much better it might be for both the competitors and spectators if these outdoor Olympic events were held in summer.

Will rain stop play during the Archery events?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

Not sure what the official ruling is on that. I guess light rain is ok, but if the heavens really open .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I found this comment on doping to be very sound and true:

Australian swimming legend and BBC analyst Ian Thorpe adds his view to the Ye Shiwen controversy: "How we should talk about it is that we should take away the nationality. If we had an athlete from Team GB who dropped three seconds we would say 'Wow'. I took five seconds off my time in the 400m freestyle from 15-16. We have to remember young swimmers can take off chunks of time others can't. We should wait. This is what I don't like in sport, when people are successful people say it is because of drugs."

I highlighted the 2 sentences in bold which I think are very true.

This is not to start another doping discussion or anything, just for me that the 2 sentences for me are a reflection of the tolerance that should be exhibited if we people are to consider such a notion if athletes in any sport enjoy positive results.
My editor at Sport Pulse has just asked me to cover that Shocked

Nothing like a bit of controversy, eh Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm

Venus is showing she's still got it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

Venus of course was playing doubles yesterday with Serena. A quirky little episode was tagged on to the end of the Reuters report of the Federer/Wawrinka match.

I'll leave the Federer bit out (we tend to hear more than enough of the great Swiss one ... Cool ) but thought this quip from some wag in the crowd was pretty good :

"The crowd were just as animated on a packed Court Two, where spectators were queuing outside for a spot to catch the Williams sisters in action.

Noisy American supporters chanting U-S-A were met with equally heartfelt, if less loud, cries of Ro-man-ia.

With people shouting out encouragement during play, the umpire reminded spectators not to speak until the end of the point.

Seconds later, Serena cried out "nah ah" as she powered a return she knew would sail over the baseline.

"Not until the end of the point please," shouted one man in the crowd. (Editing by Greg Stutchbury)"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/07/30/oly-tenn-day3-doubles-idUKL6E8IUHXE20120730

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:12 pm

I think Tsonga's going out here. He was a bit fortunate to get through v Bellucci and I think Squashed Face has his number here.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

lags72 wrote:Venus of course was playing doubles yesterday with Serena. A quirky little episode was tagged on to the end of the Reuters report of the Federer/Wawrinka match.

I'll leave the Federer bit out (we tend to hear more than enough of the great Swiss one ... Cool ) but thought this quip from some wag in the crowd was pretty good :

"The crowd were just as animated on a packed Court Two, where spectators were queuing outside for a spot to catch the Williams sisters in action.

Noisy American supporters chanting U-S-A were met with equally heartfelt, if less loud, cries of Ro-man-ia.

With people shouting out encouragement during play, the umpire reminded spectators not to speak until the end of the point.

Seconds later, Serena cried out "nah ah" as she powered a return she knew would sail over the baseline.

"Not until the end of the point please," shouted one man in the crowd. (Editing by Greg Stutchbury)"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/07/30/oly-tenn-day3-doubles-idUKL6E8IUHXE20120730

laughing genius!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I think Tsonga's going out here. He was a bit fortunate to get through v Bellucci and I think Squashed Face has his number here.

He did look a bit flat against Belluci and kept falling over as well...

Still, don't think Raonic is quite there yet so think Tsongers will probably get it together in this set.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

reckoner wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:I think Tsonga's going out here. He was a bit fortunate to get through v Bellucci and I think Squashed Face has his number here.

He did look a bit flat against Belluci and kept falling over as well...

Still, don't think Raonic is quite there yet so think Tsongers will probably get it together in this set.

Murray and Berdych were falling over too on Centre. Perhaps there's something wrong with that court.

Anyway, the rain is on, the covers are on, the players are off. Gasquet has been beaten by Baghdatis though!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:00 pm

Raonic and Roddick to cause upsets thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:08 pm

Here's a question. Would tennis players rather win a Gold Medal or the end of season Championships?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:11 pm

Tsonga is a nearly man and his best has probably passed... would be more appealing to me if Raonic beats him. Cool
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

Murray is 2 breaks and 4-1 up. He's really tearing into Nieminen's 2nd serve
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

Murray playing ultra aggressive tennis even at the expense of few errors here and there. Nice to see Murray ready to sacrifice his easy style for raising his game status a step higher.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Murray playing ultra aggressive tennis even at the expense of few errors here and there. Nice to see Murray ready to sacrifice his easy style for raising his game status a step higher.

That sounds promising. He's being Lendlised!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:33 pm

Good to see Murray positive & focussed, continuing the fine form shown at Wimbledon. That first match exit at Queens does look more & more like a weird aberration, and he got himself back on track pretty swiftly.

Nieminen is one of those guys who seems to have been around forever ; a good career in the game but ultimately little to show for it in truth, as it surely draws to a close. Just two minor titles to his name - and a losing finalist no less than ten times. First title came way back in early 2006, and that propelled him up to a ranking of 13 later that year. And then suddenly he sparked to life once again at the start of this year, winning in Sydney, although the best he had to beat there was the even older (though still tricky) Stepanek. Since then it's not been a whole lot of fun for Nieminen in 2012, losing about as many tour matches as he's won.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:53 pm

lags72 wrote:Caught around 10 mins or so of the women's archery a little earlier. Never really bothered in the past, but the skill /accuracy really is amazing when you consider target area in relation to distance (and you won't get that quality of expert analysis from the BBC .....)

The venue is Lord's cricket ground. Fine setting + very big crowds.
Did they have Ravi Bopari running across for bonus points?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Here's a question. Would tennis players rather win a Gold Medal or the end of season Championships?
WTF, easy.

Hell, you have to work really hard just to be let in, and it remains once of the notable career benchmarks, below a Slam and ahead of Masters Events.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

reckoner wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:Murray playing ultra aggressive tennis even at the expense of few errors here and there. Nice to see Murray ready to sacrifice his easy style for raising his game status a step higher.

Yup and Djoko making a mockery of Roddick today.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:03 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Here's a question. Would tennis players rather win a Gold Medal or the end of season Championships?

Olympics is just better than ATP 500's , not even close to masters and the points reflect the same too. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

The olympics does have the advantage of wide publicity though which is beneficial beyond a playing career. It makes you known outside fans of that sport which must help with sponsorship etc. It is clear that many really enjoy the opportunity to play for their country too.

In terms of pure tennis, the WTF wins.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
reckoner wrote:

Yup and Djoko making a mockery of Roddick today.

To be expected - Roddick is well past his best...

The real question: who has a hotter gf?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

Djokovic looking pretty awesome today from the rallies I have seen. Didn't see Murray but sounds like he brought his game today

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:21 pm

reckoner wrote:

Really tough question to answer, i guess the same problem here too, Roddick's GF has lost charm with age and hence I go for Djoko's one. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:22 pm

Murray Djoko if happens would be a thriller.

Roanic- Tsonga is not gonna end anytime soon.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:23 pm

reckoner wrote: The real question: who has a hotter gf?
Berdych?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
reckoner wrote:

Really tough question to answer, i guess the same problem here too, Roddick's GF has lost charm with age and hence I go for Djoko's one. thumbsup

Fair comment... but at their peaks it's such an extremely close call...

The only way to settle it (Turkish wrestling) is unavailable to us, so I fear we will have to speculate.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:28 pm

lydian wrote:
reckoner wrote: The real question: who has a hotter gf?
Berdych?

Extremely good call...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:35 pm

TB in Tsonga-Raonic. chin

PS: No TB. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:41 pm

A Gold Medal will always seem impressive to the wider world ; but for those who play & follow tennis closely year-round, the WTF stands way above in terms of difficulty, given the far more strict entry criteria, and hence quality of field. No easy rounds at the WTF !

Past Olympic champs Massu and Rosset wouldn't have even qualified for the WTF at the time they won the Olympics - or indeed at any stage of their careers.

Last edited by lags72 on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

Robson-Sharapova: let the carnage commence!!
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

For every Tsonga France produce, they produce a Serra.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

polished_man wrote:Robson-Sharapova: let the carnage commence!!
Robson will be close for 1 set atleast, then stamina issues kick in.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

Good stuff from Robson. Memories of their only previous clash when she pushed Sharapova into a TB at Wimbledon.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

Tie break.

Come on Laura!!!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:36 pm

How unlucky. That Sharapova return just died when it hit the ground. Completely dodgy bounce. And that's the set over.

Don't let your head drop though Laura. You've matched her here. Keep attacking her.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:48 pm

I'd agree on winning the WTF above the Gold Medal. There's definitely more prestige involved in the WTF. If ranking points were taken out of the equation it might be a bit closer.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next