The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Day 9 Thread

+25
I hate fish
carrieg4
break_in_the_fifth
monty junior
JuliusHMarx
invisiblecoolers
Jahu
Josiah Maiestas
CAS
laverfan
Tropicalfruiter
Good Golly I'm Olly
banbrotam
barrystar
polished_man
Danny_1982
reckoner
CaledonianCraig
eirebilly
socal1976
bogbrush
time please
yloponom68
summerblues
The Special Juan
29 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Olympic Day 9 Thread - Page 3 Empty Olympic Day 9 Thread

Post by The Special Juan Sat 04 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Centre Court: Hlavackova/Hredecka v Williams/Williams for Gold then Federer v Murray for Gold then Azarenka/Mirnyi v Murray/Robson for Gold

Court 1: Del Potro v Djokovic for Bronze then Huber/Raymond v Kirilenko/Petrova for Bronze then Bryan/Raymond v Kas/Lisicki for Bronze
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Day 9 Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympic Day 9 Thread

Post by laverfan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:18 pm

Congrats to BanBro, CC and the legions of Murray fans.

Congrats to Del Potro Fans (iC and others).

Wonderful Olympics. OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm

Woohoo Very Happy Very Happy

One of those days when everything just fell into place. Fantastic!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:brilliant silver medal from Federer.

I don't think anyone else would've beaten Delpo on Friday. Wink

Do you think you could find the grace to congratulate Murray? You keep telling us that you often complement him - well now's a good time

We won't hold our breathe

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:21 pm

Well done Andy. A very good win and it really means a bit more having a Bo5 set final even though it's clearly not a slam.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:21 pm

Ouch ouch ouch. Not what I wanted to see.

But have to say congrats to Andy. Very impressive performance today. Aggressive, hitting with authority. Ever since I saw that USO 08 semi I thought he had it in him to play like this. Also very well done to have avoided a letdown after the Wimbledon final. Will be very interesting to see where the rest of the season leads.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:21 pm

Well done to Murray, super play, thought Fed was sub-par as his worst.

A deserved win and glad he got it after that crushing W defeat.

Happy for JMDP to crush that little annoying ex no1. Wink

Will be an interesting USO.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

banbrotam wrote:

Do you think you could find the grace to congratulate Murray? You keep telling us that you often complement him - well now's a good time

wow man Roddick could've taken atleast 2 sets from Federer today after the Delpo marathon. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

laverfan wrote:Congrats to BanBro, CC and the legions of Murray fans.

Congrats to Del Potro Fans (iC and others).

Wonderful Olympics. OK

Cheers laverfan. Not a Slam though. But this victory will be as significant as Nole's Davis Cup one in 2010

Bit worried how Andy keeps this up for 2 Masters and The US Open all in a 5 week spell!!

Great scheduling by the tour picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

No excuses. Murray won. Federer lost. Look forward to the matches at USO this year.

Del Potro won Bronze against Djokovic, and he played the same match against Federer.

Very glad for Silver for Federer.

Commiserations to Djokovic fans. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:23 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

wow man Roddick could've taken atleast 2 sets from Federer today after the Delpo marathon. Wink

It's a good job, I didn't hold my breathe!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:23 pm

Yahoo Magnificent win Andy, so dominant.

To show the mental strength after the losing Wimbledon final, to hammer his nemesis completely less than a month later for the first time even as a fan gives me complete confidence that he will win multiple slams. The first coming in the US Open next month Very Happy

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:25 pm

I celebrated Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah yesterday, sometimes you have to take a knock the next day. Not a great knock though, a silver medal at 31 is still a great achievement considering the miles he's clocked up over the past 10 years. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:26 pm

Oh Oh. Macs just said that an Olympic Gold is like a Slam

And he's not even British, last time I looked

This should give us some 'fun' comments Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:27 pm

Jahu wrote:Will be an interesting USO.
It has potential to be fantastic - 3 different slam winners so far this year and now Murray in fantastic form too. And Delpo also getting better.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

Jonny Mac talking more rubbish than anyone else right now, but with Murray you feel (hopefully) that a corner is being turned.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:31 pm

barrystar wrote:Jonny Mac talking more rubbish than anyone else right now, but with Murray you feel (hopefully) that a corner is being turned.

Don't get me wrong. It's not the same

However, all the players wanted it just as much as a Slam - so the significance of getting a medal cannot be under-rated

You only have to look at the joy on even Tsonga's face when he won that marathon against Raonic, never mind how desperate Nole looked when he went to 0-40 at the end of the SF. The Serb through the kitchen sink at Andy in that set

To be honest, as a Murray fan I can honestly say that this medal makes sure if Murray never wins a Slam, I'm just about OK with that

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm

banbrotam wrote:Oh Oh. Macs just said that an Olympic Gold is like a Slam

Yeah well, it's not like Johnny Mac to jump on any bandwagon rolling by Rolling Eyes

Good for Murray though, he looks chuffed. So does Fed with his silver.

Certainly will make the USO very interesting.

A genuine five way race?

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:37 pm

not like a slam in the slightest banbrotam.

bo3 sets until the final?

not even close.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

I like the way the three guys are behaving - very gracious stuff.

It's significant all right banbro - for me it's significance is that a failure to win a slam would be truly disappointing now.

Yes, I agree that they wanted it very much (JMDP a study in desire) but do you think Murray would play mixed doubles at a slam? Have you every seen Fed or Djoko play doubles at a slam?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

emancipator wrote:Yeah well, it's not like Johnny Mac to jump on any bandwagon rolling by Rolling Eyes

I don't think Mac does "bandwagon' jumping. For instance he's always been underwhelmed by Murray and illustrated this by saying that he was surprised by the margin of the victory. Well anyone who admires Murray's skills' will know that Andy's done this to Roger before on more than one occasion

i.e. Mac says what he thinks and in fairness his comments were related to how important The Olympics are now compared to 1988

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:43 pm

laverfan wrote:No excuses. Murray won. Federer lost. Look forward to the matches at USO this year.

Del Potro won Bronze against Djokovic, and he played the same match against Federer.

Very glad for Silver for Federer.

Commiserations to Djokovic fans. rose

Exactly, a win is a win no excuses really, I would have wished a Fed Gold ,Murray Silver and DP Bronze, but turned out the viceversa in the top 2, but a medal is a medal. thumbsup

Actually can we now say by SocalLED Logic that Murray had the cup cake draw to have not face Del Potro in the semi's, he only had to face the whipping boy Djoko in the semi's Very Happy , Del Potro was a bit unlucky to have drawn against Fed all this year, it could have been all different year for him had he not faced the GOAT. I wish he is drawn in Djoko's draw come USO.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:43 pm

barrystar wrote:I like the way the three guys are behaving - very gracious stuff.

It's significant all right banbro - for me it's significance is that a failure to win a slam would be truly disappointing now.

Yes, I agree that they wanted it very much (JMDP a study in desire) but do you think Murray would play mixed doubles at a slam? Have you every seen Fed or Djoko play doubles at a slam?

Maybe Murray should. He's a rhythm player and perhaps that's his best form of practice. I think people forget that this is important to all those who took part like a Slam, to deny this as Josiah is doing is ridiculous

But no - it's not quite as important, but it was one of the 5 tourneys that the Top 3 all targeted

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:44 pm

I thought Federer's fatigue wouldn't play a part in this match?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:48 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I thought Federer's fatigue wouldn't play a part in this match?

It does if he loses, but it's not to be used as an excuse for any of Fed's beaten opponents

It's called the "Josiah rules". A bit like "The Queensbury Rules" in boxing - but here it's just fair play for Roger Rolling Eyes

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

banbrotam wrote:
barrystar wrote:I like the way the three guys are behaving - very gracious stuff.

Maybe Murray should. He's a rhythm player and perhaps that's his best form of practice. I think people forget that this is important to all those who took part like a Slam, to deny this as Josiah is doing is ridiculous

But no - it's not quite as important, but it was one of the 5 tourneys that the Top 3 all targeted
its also important to have lots of energy left for the final, something Federer did not have. thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

banbrotam wrote:Oh Oh. Macs just said that an Olympic Gold is like a Slam

Oh I fully exect the thread that declares this as big as a slam.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

that was the Federer that played Roddick in Miami, I tried not to accept the tired excuse but I think it was there and like Phelps said the emotional energy is a lot as well and I think DelPo took it out of him emotionally.

But as a joint Federer and Murray fan, I never enjoy their matches anyway. Federers Wimbledon win was the most bittersweet victory, and so is this one. Would rather one of them got knocked out before a final, or play in the semis, that I can take better

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:50 pm

Federer looking very disappointed on BBC interview, but very accurate comments. He played pretty well as he said himself, but lost the big points. Fair play to Murray for - finally - producing his best in the big moments.

Interesting that Federer says he was maybe too emotional throughout. Guilty of wanting it too much perhaps.

For Murray this is huge. Monumentally huge. Beating Djokovic and Federer back to back in such a huge tournament, on home soil, not losing a set, not even losing his serve... If he still had question marks in his mind "am I good enough? Can i produce my best when it matters?" they have gone now.

He is there now. Mentally and physically he is there. The next 18 months is his time. He is a slam winner in waiting.

Credit to Federer too for magnificent humility after such a defeat. What a class act the man is.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:50 pm

banbrotam wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:I thought Federer's fatigue wouldn't play a part in this match?

It does if he loses, but it's not to be used as an excuse for any of Fed's beaten opponents

It's called the "Josiah rules". A bit like "The Queensbury Rules" in boxing - but here it's just fair play for Roger Rolling Eyes

I thought as much Wink

Well done Murray. It's not a Slam and never will be but it IS a win over 2 of the best players in the game at the moment in a high pressure tournament. There used to be a Big 3 and Murray. In my eyes, there is now a Big 4.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

banbrotam wrote:

Oh here we go....... As anticipated, it's being anointed a sub-Slam Rolling Eyes
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Federer looking very disappointed on BBC interview, but very accurate comments. He played pretty well as he said himself, but lost the big points. Fair play to Murray for - finally - producing his best in the big moments.

Interesting that Federer says he was maybe too emotional throughout. Guilty of wanting it too much perhaps.

For Murray this is huge. Monumentally huge. Beating Djokovic and Federer back to back in such a huge tournament, on home soil, not losing a set, not even losing his serve... If he still had question marks in his mind "am I good enough? Can i produce my best when it matters?" they have gone now.

He is there now. Mentally and physically he is there. The next 18 months is his time. He is a slam winner in waiting.

Credit to Federer too for magnificent humility after such a defeat. What a class act the man is.

When I said this on my thread people were laughing that Murray can never reach no.1, if for once he reach no.1 I would love to see those faces who laughed at me Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

I thought as much Wink

Well done Murray. It's not a Slam and never will be but it IS a win over 2 of the best players in the game at the moment in a high pressure tournament. There used to be a Big 3 and Murray. In my eyes, there is now a Big 4.

Make it a Big 5, Del Potro is back big time, I see a DP -Murray final come USO Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

CAS wrote:
But as a joint Federer and Murray fan, I never enjoy their matches anyway. Federers Wimbledon win was the most bittersweet victory, and so is this one. Would rather one of them got knocked out before a final, or play in the semis, that I can take better

Very familiar feeling - but for me it's worked out perfectly. I wanted Fed to get his last Wimbledon and go to No. 1. I was pretty neutral about today, but from now on I want Murray to win the slam encounters (should they happen).
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:55 pm

So happy for Murray, for once I agreed with Andrew Castle, 'Nobody deserved it more'. Too bad for Fed as I wanted him to win but you can't play like that against an opponent of Murray's quality in such an important match and expect to come out on top.

Where was this Murray all these years. I really hope he can use this and take his place at the top of the game. It would be awesome if he could win the USO this year.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

bogbrush wrote:Oh here we go....... As anticipated, it's being anointed a sub-Slam Rolling Eyes

Yes. Not as good as having a Slam

Where's the issue in that?

It's a significant victory as it was for Olympic Gold something Fed in particular had targetted

Don't tell us BB, that Roger, a player who wants to lay down an untouchable legacy, doesn't want to be in the same league as Steffi, Rafa and Serena.

Incidentally, I don't think it matters one jot.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm

barrystar wrote:
CAS wrote:

Very familiar feeling - but for me it's worked out perfectly. I wanted Fed to get his last Wimbledon and go to No. 1. I was pretty neutral about today, but from now on I want Murray to win the slam encounters (should they happen).

I would just rather he didn't lose to Nadal and Djokovic all those times as to me it's clear he's better than them anyway. I agree with the bittersweetness of Fed's Wimbledon which I guess after seeing today could so easily have been Murray's. It's so annoying he hasn't won a slam yet but I'm starting to see again in him what he used to have in 2008 which gave him so much potential. Does this victory erase all the mental demons?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:Federer looking very disappointed on BBC interview, but very accurate comments. He played pretty well as he said himself, but lost the big points. Fair play to Murray for - finally - producing his best in the big moments.

When I said this on my thread people were laughing that Murray can never reach no.1, if for once he reach no.1 I would love to see those faces who laughed at me Very Happy

I think he has arrived, and I think he'll win slams... But I'm afraid I still disagree with you IC, I still don't think he'll be world number 1.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

Barrystar I am glad I am not the only one out there, every grand slam when they are both in the quarters I start getting uncomfortable because I know they both can't win and going to have to watch one come very close, and in the case the last few years both of them!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

Lets see Danny, becoming No.1 can be done without winning slams, WTA No.1's have proved is several times.

If Murray can additionally win slams it makes the no.1 taks much more easier. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

So happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:06 pm

I think Azarenka better watch out. Murray will be after her with his serves. Every time she gets aced I'm going to clap and laugh for being an annoying squealer.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:06 pm

banbrotam wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Oh here we go....... As anticipated, it's being anointed a sub-Slam Rolling Eyes

It's a significant victory as it was for Olympic Gold something Fed in particular had targetted

Don't tell us BB, that Roger, a player who wants to lay down an untouchable legacy, doesn't want to be in the same league as Steffi, Rafa and Serena.

Err no.. only Fed and Steffi are comparable.

The rest are way behind.

A trinket in the OG doesn't change that.

BTW, does anyone remember Dementieva? No didn't think so. Well she won OG.

Don't get me wrong.. I thought Murray played fab today, but I detest this convenient elevation of the OG as if it's some sort of rival to the slams. It's below the WTF and just above the Masters level. That was a point I've consistently made before the games even started.

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:10 pm

Well it's the players themselves that elevated its value... Besides silver slammer Fed puts him in a league of his own Laugh

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:11 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:
barrystar wrote:
CAS wrote:

I would just rather he didn't lose to Nadal and Djokovic all those times as to me it's clear he's better than them anyway. I agree with the bittersweetness of Fed's Wimbledon which I guess after seeing today could so easily have been Murray's. It's so annoying he hasn't won a slam yet but I'm starting to see again in him what he used to have in 2008 which gave him so much potential. Does this victory erase all the mental demons?

What?

It's clear to you that he's better than Rafa and Novak?

How did you come to that conclusion? Murray has never consistently produced the same level that those two have managed. Peak for peak they would beat him more often than not, as reflected by their results against each other and their respective accomplishments in the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:11 pm

emancipator wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

The rest are way behind.

Don't get me wrong.. I thought Murray played fab today, but I detest this convenient elevation of the OG as if it's some sort of rival to the slams. It's below the WTF and just above the Masters level. That was a point I've consistently made before the games even started.

Exactly Emanci, too add more Do somebody remember Marc Rossett ? he won Olympics in 1992, a field that consisted Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Stefan Edberg, Boris Becker, M Chang, Jim Courier. Very Happy

Great win for Murray to get his confidence back but this doesn't impact anything in terms of legacy, Tennis still don't belong to Olympics, I find it very awkward.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:12 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Well it's the players themselves that elevated its value... Besides silver slammer Fed puts him in a league of his own Laugh

Indeed, as does 17 slams Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

Well done Andy Murray clap very, very well done!

Hopefully this is just the break he needed and we can now expect greater things from Mr Murray. He played superbly. Okay Fed was a little slow on his footwork (unsurprisingly) but the match was a lot more exciting than the scoreline suggests. Murray was the man of the tournament and thoroughly deserves the gold. He came through the tournament in the smoothest and most convincing manner.

Great year so far with the top four taking the three slams and the OG. Really intensifies the competition at the top. What is going to happen at USO?

well done delpo too. Great to see his valiant semi assault rewarded with a bronze, but what the h*ll is up with Novak? He is playing well but he just doesn't look like he wants the fight enough.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:16 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
emancipator wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

The rest are way behind.

Exactly Emanci, too add more Do somebody remember Marc Rossett ? he won Olympics in 1992, a field that consisted Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Stefan Edberg, Boris Becker, M Chang, Jim Courier. Very Happy

Great win for Murray to get his confidence back but this doesn't impact anything in terms of legacy, Tennis still don't belong to Olympics, I find it very awkward.

Lets pretend it does until he wins something better Wink Hopefully it will serve most of the purposes of a 'slam' win he's convinced it's the biggest win of his career.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:17 pm

I think it's above the WTF, the Olympics is once every four years and is a real once in a lifetime chance to make a name for yourself worldwide. It's also right in the heart of the season compared to the WTF finals at the end when everyone is tired and often injured (Murray,Nadal,Roddick in recent years). All a matter of preferance but also the fact the finals five sets means you get no lucky winners ala Davydenko in 2009, taking on Del Potro in the final who had hardly won a match since his US Open win.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:17 pm

emancipator wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

The rest are way behind.

Saved me a lot of typing there, thanks.

Yes, most of us took our position on the relevance of this before the event. I'm especially sorry as Djokovic will now clean up in Toronto and valuable ranking points squandered for the y/e, something that is very important.

Well played Murray..
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next