The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open - New Face of Change?

+4
socal1976
sirfredperry
The Special Juan
laverfan
8 posters

Go down

US Open - New Face of Change? Empty US Open - New Face of Change?

Post by Guest Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 12:50

The last few years have seen shifts in player dominance. 3 players have since the turn of the 21st century have won 3 Slams in a calendar year. This feat has happened 5 times. One player even achieving that feat 3 times!

2003 was interesting year. The old guard in Sampras, Rafter, Agassi was all but at an end. Also it was the last year in which we saw 4 different Slam winners. Agassi, Ferrero, Federer, Roddick. Interestingly enough this year has similarities. 1 30+ year old Slam winner and the rest were 20 somethings. Safin and Hewitt never quite lifted the mantle they wrestled from Sampras. 2000-2003 were years of transition and random inconsistent form which saw some who won Slams and some that didn't that should've.

Here we are in 2012 and we have 3 different Slam winners. Also Olympic year has seen a slight challenge in making from Murray. However it begs the question, would a Murray Slam victory be really beneficial for the game? It is quite the riddle. For me I think Murray winning Slams may just hinder the chasing pack below. Ok that sounds bleak. In other terms it helps coat this era in a more gold like colour. Even though Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have enjoyed Slam success over the years, Murray has always felt a part of that and US Open success for me just separates the top 4 from the rest. Like the head of the tennis world has been cut off and the tail left to rot and die.

My crazy theory is the US Open needs a new face. Someone from the new breed to breakthrough and lead the way for the rest mount a challenge to the big guns. This will present an opportunity to someone. You have defending champion Djokovic out of sorts and out of form. Nadal coming back from injury on the surface he least favours. Federer you wonder does he have it in the tank to go for 7 straight sets fresh from the Grass season. Murray has just achieved Olympic Gold and right now has the momentum going into American Swing.

But a 4 time losing finalist provides an opportunity. If Murray were to make the final against say a Berdych or Del Potro you would raise your eyebrows and think well this is not a nailed on certainty for Murray. There would be a lot of guys in the chasing pack that would favour Murray at the end and none of the big 3. The big 3 do go into the American Swing with varying fortunes.

I have a sneaky suspicion that a new face could well come out of this American Swing. I think the conditions if right and the weather stays dry could be a paradise for a big hitter.

Back to top Go down

US Open - New Face of Change? Empty Re: US Open - New Face of Change?

Post by laverfan Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 12:57

Del Potro, or the likes of Raonic, Dimitrov, Harrison, etc., would be nice to see. They have their work cut out. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 13:04

I do have a gut feeling on Isner. He tends to perform well in the states. I think get the crowd in side with a tense night thriller.

Murray fans might think I am traitor, but when you say Murray you think of Nadal, Federer, Djokovic. A new face would hopefully bring new changes.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 13:07

I don't care if a US Open victory for someone other than the Big 4 would be good for the game, I'd rather see Murray win it being a Murray fan. After he wins his maiden major, then I can think about "the rest". Such is the gap between the Big 4 and the rest (as seen by Murray disposing of both Ferrer and Tsonga at Wimbledon) *I was distracted by the triathlon on TV and have completely forgotten how I was going to end this sentence so I will come back later*
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 13:12

Those outside the top four probably have more chance than usual to do well at the USO but somehow I doubt that there will be a winner from the "chasing pack".
Even making a GS semi has proved difficult of late for the non top four guys and even if someone has managed it - Ferrer, Tsonga - they've been a top 10er.
Djoko, unsurprisingly given his amazing performances in 2011, is not as dominant this year, while no one knows just how fit Rafa is going to be (reckon he'll be in good shape somehow).
Fed, for once, looked a tad tired in the Olympics final, while Murray may have his best chance yet of Slam glory. We're certainly due for a new face to win a GS, but I would not put money on it.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 18:37

I'd like to see either murray or Djoko win it, I am little sick of federer and nadal lifting the big trophies I know 99 percent of the world disagrees with me on that but that is the way I feel.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 18:57

I think Murray is the only realistic chance of a new winner. His confidence will be sky high after the summer he's had.

Novak won't exactly be swimming in confidence right now, but momentum changes quickly in tennis. I remember a number of people questioning the Murray Lendl Partnership after Paris, which was about as premature as those saying he's favourite for the US open now.

The only legitimate question mark for me is Rafa. 3 weeks before a slam and he's not fit enough for Toronto. Worrying. I hope he recovers in time, but you have to wonder what kind of physical and mental shape he's gonna be in.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 19:40

I think the gap between the Top 4 that was huge before is now equivalent of the circumference of the world

Wouldn't be surprised though, to see different winners (outside the Top 4) of these two Masters

When it comes to the Top 4, the Slams are different

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 20:07

Not really too bothered about a new face in the game. If the others aren't good enough then they're not good enough. I don't buy into this whole later peak and development thing either. With 5 good players in with a chance, that's enough variety.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 21:15

I think it needs a degree of change. For me least if someone like a Harrison, Dimitrov or Raonic made that push and somehow generated a Slam victory, for me it then makes tennis a less bleak place when Federer, Djokovic and Nadal hang up their racquets. What you have is Federer, Djokovic and Nadal, Murray closely behind and the rest you think meh. On a good day which they would need more consistency than that. Look at how refreshing it was to see Nadal eliminated in round 2 at Wimbledon. Not because it gave some of his critics a kick, but because it opened the draw for someone else different coming through. Ok there was a little eh when it was Rosol putting him to the sword, but what it did was get the tennis world talking on a bigger global scale and generated curiousity amongst those who may not have had an interest in the game. It needs more upsets like this to freshen things just a little.

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Wed 8 Aug 2012 - 1:02

Bar Delpo the younger guys have no chance.
I'm no fan of Murray and I don't view his tennis as on a par with the top 3 but considering the field I find reasons to think he has a real chance in forthcoming slams. The top 3 have all had sustained periods at the very pinnacle of the game, they've answered those questions of themselves. Murray still has the motivation derived from the uncertainty of his own potential. There's a chance that like Djoko he'll have a superb season and be spent from there on having put everything into it.
I wonder if Djoko can be bothered to grind it out again vs Nadal, and whether Nadal has the drive to add more weapons to disarm Djoko etc..
Federer will just be doing his thing, always with a chance but subject to erratic form.
So I think Murray will be pushing the hardest and Delpo has the biggest weapons. But for all we know a fresh Nadal will make light work of the rest of the field. It's wide open.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 8 Aug 2012 - 6:33

Yeah Del Po is the only guy outside the top 4 I could see winning this. The top 4 guys are just really strong right now. I think Novak, Roger, and Andy all have a good shot at the US. Nadal nursing injuries on his least favorite surface could be the more vulenrable one on the hardcourt.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 8 Aug 2012 - 11:27

Delpo has got to avoid Fed in the draw. One wonders what sort of season the Argentine would have had if he'd been in opposite halves of draws at the big events. Getting himself up to 8th (currently) in the rankings will obviously help.
We all keep waiting for JMDP to have the really big tourney win that will get him into the top half of the top 10.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 8 Aug 2012 - 18:44

sirfredperry wrote:Delpo has got to avoid Fed in the draw. One wonders what sort of season the Argentine would have had if he'd been in opposite halves of draws at the big events. Getting himself up to 8th (currently) in the rankings will obviously help.
We all keep waiting for JMDP to have the really big tourney win that will get him into the top half of the top 10.

You would thinking that getting to number 1 and #2 would have helped Djokovic avoid Federer in his half but it hasn't helped him 15 or the last 17 slams. If the draw committee wants to put you in fed's quarter because that matchup favors fed don't worry what the odds are Del Po will get fed the vast majority of the time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down