The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England

+33
thebluesmancometh
majesticimperialman
overlordofthewest
fa0019
belovedfrosties
Effervescing Elephant
RubyGuby
lostinwales
dummy_half
doctornickolas
bluestonevedder
offload
captain carrantuohil
Hood83
Rinsure
George Carlin
Triangulation
Cyril
dragonbreath
Ozzy3213
bedfordwelsh
aitchw
LondonTiger
Artful_Dodger
beshocked
RuggerRadge2611
Duty281
Geordie
Sam
emack2
nobbled
100%beefy
Scrumpy
37 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England Empty France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England

Post by Scrumpy Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 am

France team:
Yoann Huget;
Vincent Clerc,
Mathieu Bastareaud,
Wesley Fofana,
Benjamin Fall;
Francois Trinh-Duc,
Morgan Parra;
Thomas Domingo,
Benjamin Kayser,
Nicolas Mas,
Christophe Samson,
Yoann Maestri,
Yannick Nyanga,
Thierry Dusautoir (capt),
Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Dimitri Szarzewski, Vincent Debaty, Luc Ducalcon, Jocelino Suta, Antonie Claassen, Maxime Machenaud, Frederic Michalak, Florian Fritz.

England:
15. Alex Goode (Saracens, 8 caps);
14. Chris Ashton (Saracens, 31 caps),
13. Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 18 caps),
12. Brad Barritt (Saracens, 13 caps),
11. Mike Brown (Harlequins, 13 caps);
10. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 14 caps),
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps);
1. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 7 caps),
2. Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints, 44 caps),
3. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 37 caps),
4. Joe Launchbury (London Wasps, 6 caps),
5. Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers, 14 caps),
6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 17 caps),
7. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, capt, 14 caps),
8. Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, 15 caps).

Replacements: 16. Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 6 caps), 17. David Wilson (Bath Rugby, 24 caps), 18. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 6 caps), 19. James Haskell (London Wasps, 47 caps), 20. Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps), 21. Danny Care (Harlequins, 38 caps), 22. Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers, 54 caps), 23. Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester, 2 caps).

Last edited by VictorU3 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England Empty Re: France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England

Post by Scrumpy Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 am

Looks like a good team to me, just hope England catch them cold.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England Empty Re: France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England

Post by 100%beefy Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 am

Definitely a proper French side this week, no excuses for them not to beat England

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

That team does nothing to calm my nerves!
Can't wait for the game, but may have to watch it rather like my boy watches Dr Who.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:30 am

Looks better except for two lumps at centre Fritz would always start for me.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 am

I'm expecting one hell of a game...

French team is what it should have been at the start of the Six Nations.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 am

I'm hoping 36 can come on in the second half as I fancy his chances at making it around a tiring Bastereaud.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am

Englands is no shambles either mind...

Look at the lineout options we have..and Lancs has brought in hartley whos lineouts are strong...is it because of this?
Does this mean we'll look to play a territorial game really using the Lineouts as a weapon?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 am

What a game this looks to be on paper. Tuilagi v Bastareaud says it all! Well done to Lancaster, a positive and bold team selection again!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 am

nobbled wrote:I'm hoping 36 can come on in the second half as I fancy his chances at making it around a tiring Bastereaud.

Not if they tell Bastereaud Tweelvetrees nickname is 36 as that's how many chocolate bars he has in his pockets at any one time. Run
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:58 am

France team looks a lot more dangerous. I wouldn't underestimate how much of a differance Parra and Trinh-Duc could make.

I still reckon England in their current form will have enough to win at Twickers but this France will be a much more dangerous animal.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:France team looks a lot more dangerous. I wouldn't underestimate how much of a differance Parra and Trinh-Duc could make.

I still reckon England in their current form will have enough to win at Twickers but this France will be a much more dangerous animal.

What I can't understand is why these blatant obvious changes to the French side weren't made earlier.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 pm

I think that tight 5 still looks pretty weak, particularly the second row, England win for me.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 pm

nobbled wrote:I'm hoping 36 can come on in the second half as I fancy his chances at making it around a tiring Bastereaud.
Nevr thought of 36 as a long distance runner.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 pm

beshocked wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:France team looks a lot more dangerous. I wouldn't underestimate how much of a differance Parra and Trinh-Duc could make.

What I can't understand is why these blatant obvious changes to the French side weren't made earlier.

Because the opposition has been regarded as weaker and now France have to put out a proper side

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:I think that tight 5 still looks pretty weak, particularly the second row, England win for me.

Not sure I agree - that is a very good front row this time. Domingo is a real technician and will test Cole to the full, while Mas is excellent. Kayser is, for me, far superior to Dimitri Pretty Boy. Very strong looking back row.

Why the hell did PSA wait to the 3rd round to start picking the best players in their correct positions?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 pm

PSA clearly intends to leave nothing on the field after this one. This will be a true test for both teams and has the makings of a classic. If England come through this as winners we will really be on a roll, if they come out having played well but narrowly losing then it will be gut wrenching for them but part of the process. This French side is not close to being great but it has the makings and should have been the starting 15 from the first game and I would have been happier facing it if it had been. Trinh-Duc can be unsettled if given the right attention but also capable of classic French magic. Bastereaud is not the devastating runner he's made out to be when faced with the line speed of the English defence. Dussatoir and Picamoles have not looked like they are near to their best.

All in all a much more threatening France but well within the abilities of England to negate.

Come on England.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Anyone tell me please if Lawes has played 6 at high level before or is it a bit of a a gamble.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Lawes has played 6 plenty for Saints, and has I think said that it is his preferred position.

Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Cheers Ozzy I thought he was an out and out 2nd rower.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:36 pm

This changes everything, much much stronger French side and with Lawes in at blindside a slightly weaker England potentially

This should be France's game to lose. The team on paper looks stronger in a number of key areas.

We will see if Barretts defence is as good as everyone thinks it is. Basteraud looks comical but tackling him is not funny. He is big, deceptively fast and so rotund it seems difficult to get your arms around him to make a tackle. With the BRO (Big Round One) keeping the inside defence honest I can see Manu being exposed by Fofana's pace and fantastic running lines.

This will be a fascinating game, but I can't on the face of it see where England can hurt or dominate France (trying to avoid stereotypes)

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 pm

dragonbreath wrote:This should be France's game to lose. The team on paper looks stronger in a number of key areas.

dragonbreath wrote:This will be a fascinating game, but I can't on the face of it see where England can hurt or dominate France (trying to avoid stereotypes)
This was said last year, and the year before.

France almost always seem to look better on paper.

Unless, of course, France have improved out of all recognition since the last 6Ns and England have got worse.

Hmm, that hasn't happened though, has it?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 pm

dragonbreath wrote:This changes everything, much much stronger French side and with Lawes in at blindside a slightly weaker England potentially

This should be France's game to lose. The team on paper looks stronger in a number of key areas.

We will see if Barretts defence is as good as everyone thinks it is. Basteraud looks comical but tackling him is not funny. He is big, deceptively fast and so rotund it seems difficult to get your arms around him to make a tackle. With the BRO (Big Round One) keeping the inside defence honest I can see Manu being exposed by Fofana's pace and fantastic running lines.

This will be a fascinating game, but I can't on the face of it see where England can hurt or dominate France (trying to avoid stereotypes)

I am nervous which is normal for me. I was nervous before Scotland and Irealand.

But England will beat France on Saturday. France may edge us at scrum time but that will be it. We will beat them at the breakdown where for eg vs Ireland we got 8 turnovers on the deck - 7 of them were effected by different players. We will beat them in defence where we have been incredibly difficult to break down. In any kicking war we have 2 fullbacks to cope plus Youngs kicking game and Farell. We will also have team cohesion all over the french. How many sides change 8 in a side from one first tier game to the next and then win against settled opponents? Oh and we're at home with 80,00o Englishmen cheering them on.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Clash of the titans with Fat Bastareaud in Manu and Barrit's channel.

I'll hear the collisions from here.

As people say, this is actually a 'proper' French side. Bugger me with a baguette. England should have too much if they can marshall their defence - Lawes has to chop Picamole and Thierry all day and Barritt will have earned his corn if he can stop Fofana from breaking out.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Why is everyone saying Lawes at 6 is a weakness??!!!!

He's a tackling monster. He's 6'7 and 18st 8.
He has developed his lineout to a very strong standard.
Whilst his carrying positioning has been question he still needs to be tackled well...
He rucks very well.
He has played 6 for Saints many many times in the HC also.
His favorite position is 6
He is mobile, athletic and yet very powerful...exactly as this current coaching team wants their players..ie see Parling, Launchbury, Wood etc....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Why is everyone saying Lawes at 6 is a weakness??!!!!

Whilst his carrying positioning has been question he still needs to be tackled well...
He rucks very well.
He is mobile, athletic and yet very powerful...exactly as this current coaching team wants their players..ie see Parling, Launchbury, Wood etc....

He is however not as dense as Haskell which I am assured is a blessing

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm

p.s i forgot fitness.

If its level at 60 minutes well hold up better than them.

No rain please! None forcast at the moment.

If it rains that will favour france.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
Basteraud ... is big, deceptively fast and so rotund it seems difficult to get your arms around him to make a tackle.

This reminded me of a brilliant quote. Unfortunately I can recall neither who said it, nor of whom. However, not to let details like that stand in the way of a good joke:

"He's so fat you could have a sponsored run around him".

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Triangulation wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:This changes everything, much much stronger French side and with Lawes in at blindside a slightly weaker England potentially

I am nervous which is normal for me. I was nervous before Scotland and Irealand.

But England will beat France on Saturday. France may edge us at scrum time but that will be it. We will beat them at the breakdown where for eg vs Ireland we got 8 turnovers on the deck - 7 of them were effected by different players. We will beat them in defence where we have been incredibly difficult to break down. In any kicking war we have 2 fullbacks to cope plus Youngs kicking game and Farell. We will also have team cohesion all over the french. How many sides change 8 in a side from one first tier game to the next and then win against settled opponents? Oh and we're at home with 80,00o Englishmen cheering them on.

They could also beat us through pace in the back three. If they do gain parity at the breakdown (Nyanga and Dusatoir are quick to the breakdown and Picamoles clears out VERY quickly) and get the ball away quickly our back-line can be a little narrow. If that's exploited the extra pace in their back three could hurt us. I don't think they have a hugely inventive kicking game fro midfield there so I don't expect our fairly cumbersome midfield to be turned too much, that's the other area I could see Fofana exploiting.

I don't think we should underestimate how much the French speed at the breakdown will improve with Parra.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 pm

On topic, I fancy us (England) to win this.

It's a strong looking French team, but you have to wonder how long the units will have trained together, and coming up against the English juggernaut at close to full steam should be too much for them.

Man for man, almost all the way through, our chaps are better than theirs.

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Going to be a cold old evening come kick-off at Twickers. Think the team that makes fewest errors will win, but have to say that France have given themselves the best possible opportunity of winning with the side they've picked. They're only missing Dulin and Pape of what you might call their first-choice side and almost all of them are playing in their correct positions. Whatever next!

I'm not totally convinced by the composition of England's back row, but otherwise, I think that the home side match up pretty well around the park. I've no worries about the midfield defence - the sort of attack that can be expected should be right up Barritt's street. Lancaster's willingness to change a winning side on a horses for courses basis is largely to be applauded and I reckon England might assert themselves in the final quarter to win by around eight points. I'm not expecting a classic, but I do think that it will be intriguing.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm

He rucks very well.

I certainly agree. I have always watched him play thinking he'd be better in the back row.
THis does look a much better Freanch side though. Should be very entertaining.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:01 pm

He rucks very well.

Purely because this will be his first start at 6 in an international GF, agasint a strong looking French pack.

Besides, I think a lot of us liked the balance of the previous backrow- with Wood and Robshaw on the flanks.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

He rucks very well.

and he never lets anyone strip the ball from him in contact..... oh wait a minute

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:06 pm

[/quote]

Now I admire patriotism as much as the next man, but you are just getting carried away

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 pm

dragonbreath wrote:

Now I admire patriotism as much as the next man, but you are just getting carried away[/quote]

Sounds like General Meltchett!!

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm

dragonbreath wrote:

Now I admire patriotism as much as the next man, but you are just getting carried away[/quote]

I dont know who said this but as i have said it is almost the opposite of this. The french may look good "man for man" on paper but the sum of England's parts being greater than the whole and greater than the sum of France's parts THAT is why we should win this.

That is not to say of course that we cant have man-o e man-o comparison chats but that aint why were going to win. We are more of a team than they are. We are the more effective team. Simple.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm

and he never lets anyone strip the ball from him in contact..... oh wait a minute.

Show me a player who hasnt been...every player has a moment of stupidity / carelessness that they can look back to....doesnt make them a bad player...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I was confident in England being able to beat France at home before the championship started. France suddenly picking the right players in the right positions (with little time to gel) hasn't changed that opinion for me.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:34 pm

France by 8 !!!

France & England Team line ups - France change seven to face England 1347041234

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Everyone going on about the Basteraud and Tuilagi clash but same was said about the Roberts Tuilabi crash but Basteraud was shockingly poor and if like that this week it will be no contest.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Well, I'm still hopeful of an England victory - France don't seem to like playing us in the 6Ns recently, particularly at Twickenham.

But WHY Monsieur St Andre did you use this game to pick your best available starting XV? Couldn't you have just picked the team that played against Italy?

What worries me is that France have two greats in their back row and Nyanga is no mug either, while we are playing a 6 at 8 and a 2nd row at 6. Looks like Robshaw will need to get a few of his clones on the pitch again...

Front 5 and inside backs I think we hold an edge (maybe slight),but the back row and back 3 are where I can see France getting the better of us.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm

I think both teams on paper are pretty evenly matched but England have home advantage. England's players are in better form. They seem to have consistency that France lack. The combos have had more time together - e.g. Youngs-Farrell, Parling-Launchbury, the back three etc. England seem to have the better coaching set up.

Definitely advantage England in my opinion - I think they'll win by 10 points.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:55 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Everyone going on about the Basteraud and Tuilagi clash but same was said about the Roberts Tuilabi crash but Basteraud was shockingly poor and if like that this week it will be no contest.

Whereas I thought he was a right handful breaking tackles and making ground on each occasion he had the ball. If you feel he can improve then that makes your problem bigger not smaller

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 pm

dragon,

I thought he was very poor then agian so was Roberts, I thougt so they sort of cancelled each other out.

I am a big Tuilagi fan and I think he could make Basteraud look very ordinary indeed.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Bets that England win because Lawes executes a perfect 'almost late' hit on one of the french half backs and a french guy gets red carded in the ensuing punch up.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I've never been that convinced about what Basteraud brings to the party.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Lots of people offering good rational reasons for England winning, settled team at home, going well and developing nicely etc etc etc etc - I would say the same myself of them. Unfortunately looking at rational reasons when playing France is a bit like looking for tartan paint - These are 2 strong sides on paper and it will be a fascinating battle in which any outcome is possible. Can't wait thumbsup

Now where did I put that paint Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I've never been that convinced about what Basteraud brings to the party.

From the size of him, probably about a dozen large pizzas, family size packs of crisps and biscuits

And a diet coke Very Happy

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I've never been that convinced about what Basteraud brings to the party.

From the size of him, probably about a dozen large pizzas, family size packs of crisps and biscuits

And a diet coke Very Happy
Heh, I was expecting that Smile

Then he gets drunk and falls over a table...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next