The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Wrestling Federation for Over 50 Years the Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment

3 posters

Go down

The World Wrestling Federation for Over 50 Years the Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment Empty The World Wrestling Federation for Over 50 Years the Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment

Post by jai.roberts Sat 11 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

I'm wondering what's everyone's view on how many era's in WWE/F we have had

for me it's the
80's, 90's, attitude, aggression ... then PG

what's everyone's favorite moment from each of your era's ....

jai.roberts

Back to top Go down

The World Wrestling Federation for Over 50 Years the Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment Empty Re: The World Wrestling Federation for Over 50 Years the Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment

Post by Aaronb33 Sun 12 Aug 2012, 5:58 am

I'd say you've got the first 30ish years setting the foundation, with guys like Buddy Rogers, Sammartino, Snuka, Muraco: They took wrestling, a vulgar, violent sideshow and turned it into an entertainment format that everyone could enjoy. Highlight for me was Snuka's rivalry with Muraco. It showed that wrestling could still be as gritty and as violent as it wanted, but could be entertaining at the same time.

Then you have the "Golden era" which, to me, started a year or two before the first Wrestlemania. I think you could sum up this era pretty well just by mentioning Hogan, Savage and Warrior: Larger than life superheroes, which, at the time, was exactly what the industry needed to create that boom period. The fans were still willing to buy into it, with only the truly hardcore fan ever even hearing of a dirtsheet. Hogan slamming Andre was a HUGE deal at the time so I'll go with that as my favourite moment.

After that, there was a period where the WWF was terrible for a while. They stuck with that formula for far too long, and that was the point where my alleigance switched to ECW. They were ballsy enough to take wrestling in a whole new direction (ok, Japan had "garbage wrestling" for a few years before ECW did it, but how many of us were into Japanese wrestling at that point?) , and cashed in on the "grunge" scene. If we're just talking about WWF though, the one thing I will say about that era is that it gave us Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker and the birth of Stone Cold. Best moment for me was Michaels using a zipline to get to the ring; that's when he became the "Showstopper" in my opinion.

And then we get to the Attitude Era (Warning, may contain dangerous amounts of nostalgia). A lot of people will argue that "Austin 3:16" is what kicked it off, but I've always thought Mick Foley signing from ECW was the first sign of it happening. WWF, at that time, were still clearly into clean-cut muscle guys, and took a chance on Foley, who had a reputation as an absolute mentalist and didn't exactly look like the pinnacle of male evolution. Then they locked him and Taker in a boiler room and let them go at it. Skip forward a bit, and you have Stone Cold taking off into space, Hell in a Cell, McMahon being an evil genius (on screen, he already was off screen), The Rock, DX, Mankind doing silly things on top of a cage, the hardcore scene, the Hardys, Edge and Christian, the Dudleys, the TLC matches involving those teams, the Road Warriors coming back with Sunny as manager (possibly my favourite moment of all time...my god Sunny was hot). I could go on forever about the Attitude Era, but alas, it had to come to an end...

...With the era that should have been the most awesome thing ever (even more awesome than Sunny coming round to your house and...ummm...playing Scrabble). The Invasion angle could have, and should have been SO much more than it was. Massive let down for me personally, although it did let the biggest wrestling fanbase in the world see the genius that is Paul Heyman, and that can't be a bad thing. Favourite moment was probably Heyman's worked shoot on Vince on Smackdown (I think). It was pretty obvious Vince had asked him to do it, but I don't think he expected Heyman to come out with some of the things he said.

Next up...RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!!! I apologise, I can't even think those words without shouting them out in my head. The era of the wrestler. Angle, Lesnar, Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero...'nuff said. We also got introduced to a kid named John, the most charismatic, most entertaining guy since the Rock...whatever happened to him? I miss him. Best bit was the iron man match between Kurt and Brock. Awesome...just awesome.

After everyone stopped making me shout RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!!! we saw the passing of the torch if you will to the next (current) generation. Cena, Batista, Orton, Mysterio, the Boogeyman (I miss him too). I think this is the point where we had neither the balls-out, in-your-face shenanigans of the Attitude Era, nor the emphasis on wrestling like we had in RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!!! For me, this is where things started to go downhill. Which brings me neatly to...

...PG. Now, I'm not going to sit here and type a rant about how awful PG was, in fact, some of it was pretty bloody good. But...some of it was competing with 93-96 in the shockingly bad department. It was the inconsistency that drove me to TNA, this being when TNA was putting out some really good stuff every week. It also made me get Sky+ so I wouldn't have to sit through the rubbish. For introducing me to the wonders of pausing live TV, I am forever indebted to WWE so I'll stop saying bad things about them now. I'll even say something nice...the angle with Orton and Trips that involved breaking into a man's house and demolishing both him and his property was really really cool.

Changed my mind, I am going to say something nasty. The current fascination with Twitter does my head in, to the point where every time Michael Cole mentions it, I attempt to strangle myself to death (don't try it, it doesn't work and you'll look silly in front of you wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/cat/blow up doll/plumber you called round to give you some company). Also, I'll never forgive them for getting my hopes up so high with the CM Punk worked shoot. I thought we were getting back to being all edgy and cool an smoking behind the bike sheds when the teacher was busy shouting at someone for smoking behind the bike sheds. But nope, they brought in Kevin Nash. I feel some murderous rage coming on so I'll stop there. I'll mention Ziggler, Rhodes, Barrett, Bryan and Sheamus to calm me down. That's the thing that always brought me crawling back to Vince...no matter how much utter rubbish the E puts out, there's always SOMETHING worth watching.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

The World Wrestling Federation for Over 50 Years the Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment Empty Re: The World Wrestling Federation for Over 50 Years the Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 12 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm

Yeah, what he said, apart from Warrior beating hogan instead of Hogan slamming Andre

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down