The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton close to new Mclaren deal

4 posters

Go down

Hamilton close to new Mclaren deal  Empty Hamilton close to new Mclaren deal

Post by Fernando Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 2:15

McLaren Managing Director Jonathon Neale says the team are close to agreeing a new deal with 2008 World Champion Lewis Hamilton.

The British team guided Hamilton's junior career before bringing him into Formula 1 in 2007, to partner Fernando Alonso.

The 27-year-old had been linked with a move to Red Bull and Mercedes, but with Mark Webber agreeing a new deal with the World Champions and Michael Schumacher looking likely to stay on for at least another year with the Silver Arrows, options for Hamilton are limited.

"We are closer and of course we are in dialogue," Neale told Sky Sports

For obvious reasons I can't speculate more at the moment. We are working very hard to find a common ground."

When asked if a new deal was what both Hamilton and McLaren wanted Neale added: "Very much so."

Hamilton is currently 47 points behind Alonso in the standings, but, with nine races remaining and a possible 225 points available, Neale believes Hamilton can still be triumph in 2012.

"Mathematically it is still possible, 25 points for a win and it doesn't take much to switch those," he added.

"We have got a quick car. Our car was in better shape than Ferrari at the last race. He is a fighter, he loves a challenge. He just needs a sniff of it and to feel that the team is behind him and pushing.

"And I think if he feels we are pushing and bring the upgrades and dealing with the issues as they arise then he will be fighting for the title at the end of the season."

source: skysports

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Hamilton close to new Mclaren deal  Empty Re: Hamilton close to new Mclaren deal

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 3:20

Yer, it was obvious that he was going to sign a contract extension once Webber re-signed for RB. Everyone knew Lewis had no serious options for 2013 and McLaren were always going to have the upper hand on the negotiation table. I hope now we can focus on the second half of the season and put this to bed.

Back to top Go down

Hamilton close to new Mclaren deal  Empty Re: Hamilton close to new Mclaren deal

Post by dummy_half Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 20:08

I have to say that speculation of Hamilton moving on from McLaren seemed far-fetched to me, and seemed to originate only from those posters who are convinced his team are conspiring against him (rather than just having a few incompetent moments in the pits).

The interesting question is over how long the new contract will be - a one year extension would suggest he will review options for 2014, whereas a 3 year deal will be a big commitment for both driver and team.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Thu 16 Aug 2012 - 1:51

There truly is no competitive ride available at the moment and I'm not surprised by this at all

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Sep 2012 - 2:11

August 14th this topic was created and yet after this weekend happenings, for me anyway, it feels like Hamilton & McLaren are in separate worlds and couldn't be further away from signing any deal.

One thing is for sure, Hamilton is not happy......surely this contract situation is now getting out of hand, it's harming both parties performance. Do you know what, I know it will never happen but if Lewis Hamilton turned round to McLaren and said 'I'm joining Ferrari', it would not surprise me from Lewis' side or from sneaky Ferrari's.

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Tue 4 Sep 2012 - 3:42

I agree john. After Hungary I think Hami felt that it would be done and dusted by Spa but as negotiations have dragged on an on he probably now feels undervalued - in fact totally peed off. Mclaren were looking for a response after last season and he has delivered - for the best part of the seaon he has driven flawlessly. Early season cockups by his team are the only reason he is not leading the WDC. He pulled MW out of a hole in Canada and has dominated his teamate and yet it feels like he still looks across the garage with suspicion. Throw in some personal berievement and its not surprising he wasnt quite at the races this weekend. As with my football team I never believe in a signing untill I see the name on the dotted line.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down