The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Button signs new Mclaren deal

3 posters

Go down

Button signs new Mclaren deal  Empty Button signs new Mclaren deal

Post by Fernando Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Jenson Button has committed his future to McLaren by signing what the team say is a "multi-year contract".

The Englishman's contract was due to expire at the end of next year but the two parties had been discussing a new long-term deal.

Button, 31, said: "I've never felt more at home at a team than I do at McLaren.

"I've won four of the greatest races of my life here, I'm currently lying second in the drivers' championship and I feel I'm driving better than ever."

Heading into this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, Button is the only driver with a mathematical chance of depriving Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel of a second consecutive world title.

However, it is a long shot in the extreme - Button would have to win all five remaining races with the German not scoring a single point for the McLaren driver to win a second title.

Button has attracted interest from other teams - Ferrari are among the outfits known to be considering him - but he has preferred to stick with McLaren.

"I truly believe that the passion and determination to win are stronger here at McLaren than anywhere else," he said.

"As a grand prix driver, those are incredibly powerful feelings to share and be part of, and they've only reinforced my desire to commit my long-term future to this team.

"I've made no secret of my ambition to continue winning races and world championships, and I fully believe this is the place where I can achieve those aims.

"We know how to win, and we're busy refining an organisation that will enable us to keep on doing that for years to come."
FAST FACT
Continue reading the main story

Jenson Button has scored 76 points in the last four races - a total which has only been bettered by championship leader Sebastian Vettel, who has picked up 93.

Button is 17 points ahead of team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the championship after an impressive run since winning the Hungarian Grand Prix at the end of July.

Hamilton, who is contracted to McLaren until the end of next season, has welcomed Button's decision to stay on.

"It's great news that Jenson has chosen to stay," Hamilton said in a team statement.

"Jenson has been a great person to work with, and a genuine team-player, from the moment we welcomed him on board.

"Jenson and I are as hungry and as ambitious as ever to win races and world championships in the future."

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh added: "Jenson is a great driver and a great guy.
Continue reading the main story

Having a good driver with good feedback is essential in F1
Paddy Lowe
McLaren technical director

"In fact, I can safely say that he's one of the most capable and respected drivers we've ever had, and I'm therefore absolutely delighted that he'll continue to work with us into the future.

"I feel sure that he'll now build on the considerable success he's already achieved with us, and will be even more successful with us in years to come."

McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe said Button's presence in the team would be "crucial" to their success in the next few years.

"Having a good driver with good feedback is essential in F1," Lowe said.

"Even though these days we have more simulations, we're still very reliant on the driver's feedback and his responses to the changes we make, and indeed his suggestions for changes.

"So having Jenson on board for years to come is a great step for us because it gives us a very solid base in terms of a driver we can rely on for feedback."

source: bbc

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Button signs new Mclaren deal  Empty Re: Button signs new Mclaren deal

Post by Belgarion of Riva Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:10 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8313675.stm

The BBC compiled this highlights package from Jenson's career. Good video, he's always been a consistent performer and deserves a juicy contract from Mclaren.

The team needs to sort itself out and stop letting it's drivers down. Mclaren have got the best driver partnership in the paddock in my opinon and it's time the team repaid their drivers with a great car, great strategies and and excellent pit crews.

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Great news! I couldn't really envisage him going to Ferrari, as some rumours had it.

As Belgarion said, I just hope McLaren repay both drivers by giving them a better car next season. Don't think they've done much wrong strategy-wise (and both Red Bull and Ferrari have had the odd pit hiccup too) but it'd be nice if they could work on some race strategies that play to Hamilton's strengths, rather than asking him to curtail his natural instincts.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down