The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Up the (Tobacco) Road to Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

+21
EmmDee57
Diggers
pedro
robopz
John Cregan
Leff
sirbenson
Plunky
beninho
Bob_the_Job
incontinentia
Skydriver
Sand
SmithersJones
princedracula
super_realist
Shotrock
McLaren
NedB-H
GPB
kwinigolfer
25 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Up the (Tobacco) Road to Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 5 Empty PGA Tour: Up the (Tobacco) Road to Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 14 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).PGA Championship.
Rory McIlroy.
Simply Magnificent.

2).PGA Championship.
David Lynn.
Second?
In your first ever event in the United States?
You've got to be sh1tting me.
Invite to the 2013 Masters.
Invite to the 2013 PGA Championship.
Very good chances of earning automatic exemption to the "Opens".

3).PGA Championship.
Seven of the Top Ten are Europeans, and they'll all be back, exempt, next year.
The Top 4 and ties will be invited to the 2013 Masters. Carl Pettersson (edit: already exempt!) joins David Lynn of those not otherwise exempt who'll be receiving that envelope from Billy Payne.

4).PGA Championship.
And the Top 15 and ties will be invited to the 2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill. Those not already exempt include Lynn, Poulter, Pettersson, Adams, Donaldson, Hanson, Stricker, Curtis, Clark, Ogilvy and Scott.

5).Kiawah Island's Ocean Course.
The course received mixed receptions from players (mostly positive) and media (a lot of it negative). Most of the negatives focussed on transportation logistics and the supposed absurdity of playing a windswept oceanside course with raised greens and fairways, but few run-up options. Exhibit A; Friday.
Was it significant that only seven of the leading 17 golfers were American?
Does it speak to a lack of creativity that many have long criticised the PGA Tour players for??
However well the course stood up to a variety of conditions and wind directions, I'd be surprised to see the PGA return their Championship here anytime soon.

6).And who's this Blake Adams fellow who finished 7th?
Adams has played The Players, US Open and PGA Championship this year and contended to some extent in all three. Almost 37 and only on Tour for three years, Adams is another of the multi-sport athletes, basketball and baseball in his case, who's focussed on golf and graduated through the mini-tours to PGA Tour success. He's another of the Tour's walking wounded but has become a Tour "iron man"; no wins but a runner up to Jason Day (remember him?) at the 2010 Byron Nelson, when he screwed up the final hole worse than Day did.
Well worth bearing in mind next time the Tour stops at a course that rewards strategic play and pars.

7).Carl Pettersson has returned to his self-described "ten beers and a pint of ice cream" diet after losing a ton of weight and his golf swing a few years ago. Most significantly this week is his work as a Board Member of the Tour's Greensboro tournament, helping to ensure that one of the oldest stops on Tour has not only maintained its place on the calendar, arguably strengthened its position.
A new sponsor, Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, and a new (old) course, Sedgefield Country Club, a Donald Ross original, have combined to elevate the event which now holds an interesting position with many of the field striving for FedEx participation or position.

8).Sam Snead won "Greensboro" EIGHT times, but last year's winner was a young American who'd been showing tons of promise, had been desperately unlucky not to win in New Orleans, and was a local lad to boot. Guy called Webb Simpson. He's back with an interesting field and some "interesting" tee times:
Simpson, Love, Pettersson. Local heroes.
Haas, Dufner, Snedeker. Ryder Cup player and two wannabe Captain's picks.
Appleby, Villegas, Glover. All outside the Fed Ex Play-Off places.
Schwartzel, Garcia, Watney. Disappointing seasons all.

9).European representation includes Christian, Davis, Jamie Donaldson, Knox and Greg Owen (good e.w. chance again this week?); Blixt, Chopra, Karlsson, Pettersson and Stenson; Colsaerts and Garcia (unlucky loser in a 2009 play-off here to Ryan Moore). Significant week for many of them:
Knox, Chopra, Karlsson all need big finishes to assist them in quest to retain Tour cards.
Blixt (back from a long injury absence), Christian, Garcia and Stenson will all qualify for The Barclays, but need good finishes this next fortnight to progress to the Deutsche Bank.
Colsaerts and Garcia are vying for Ryder Cup qualification.

10).In a sign of the times, Bud Cauley has just overtaken Arnold Palmer in the career earnings list;
Marc Leishman has recently passed Jack Nicklaus;
And Rory McIlroy's next top three finish will push him past Tom Watson!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Up the (Tobacco) Road to Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Up the (Tobacco) Road to Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:24 pm

GPB wrote:Kaymer, in a PGA Championship, came off as ambivalent towards to the 2012 Ryder Cup.

If he wanted to make the team, he would be protecting his position and playing GlenEagles.

I am rooting for the Yanks, but I also want the best available Euro RC team. And I don't think that includes an indifferent Kaymer.

I saw some of those comments... Seems to me Kaymer comes of as mostly ambivalent about everything, such seems to be his nature. And then again... maybe he was just trying not to put any added pressure on himself... who knows.

I want to see the best competition too... but quite frankly if Kaymer makes the team on points... then he should receive nothing more than hearty congratulations for making it... because he EARNED it as per the system that was set up to qualify. If the Euro's want to prevent "out of form: players from making their team... then fine... change their points formula to more heavily weight towards most recent performance... but until then... If Kaymer makes its... welcome him with open arms.

Hey... this is RC, not PC... so if Kaymer's form doesn't improve Ollie can [mostly] hide him. And who knows.... form can change in a hurry... 5 weeks ago, Tim Clark was on the outside looking in on the FedEx Playoffs... now he's #54 and assured in the first two events...

robopz

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Up the (Tobacco) Road to Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Up the (Tobacco) Road to Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:41 pm

He most definitely earned his spot. Never implied anything else. But I don't think he wants to play, especially in his current form. Maybe he will come up with a mysterious bank problem, for the good of the team.

I want Colsaerts to pass Kaymer so Ollie is free to pick another player with some fresh passion for the Ryder Cup.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

Hasn't Martin Kaymer already got a pad in Scottsdale?

If he isn't chosen by J-M O it will be because he has sgnified to Capt. Olly that his game is not ready for it, not for any other reason.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

Forget Kaymer ... if you can convince J-M O to pick Casey it will help me hedge my Vegas bet.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

GPB wrote:He most definitely earned his spot. Never implied anything else. But I don't think he wants to play, especially in his current form. Maybe he will come up with a mysterious bank problem, for the good of the team.

I want Colsaerts to pass Kaymer so Ollie is free to pick another player with some fresh passion for the Ryder Cup.

I would certainly agree that I would want all of the players on both sides to be in good form. So if Colsaerts passes... more power to him. I doubt I would pick Kaymer right now based on what I've seen either.

But as for him stepping down for the "good of the team". I say bunk to that. He's earned his place, and barring non-phony legitimate injury, IMO Martin participating and doing the best he can is what's best for the team, and the integrity of the Ryder Cup.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Hasn't Martin Kaymer already got a pad in Scottsdale?

Duh... that's right he does.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:05 pm

robo,
I'd imagine everyone remotely Euro wants Kaymer in the team, but if he doesn't feel as if his form warrants a pick, I'd imagine he's shared that with Olly as well as the rest of us lot!

Really enjoyed the Greensboro layout, the tournament seems to get better every year. Regardless of who wins of course!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:13 pm

Got to be said, Kaymer's loss of form and plummet down the rankings is quite alarming (as well as mysterious - how many would have predicted that a couple of years ago?) If he stays in an automatic spot and doesn't get "injured" then yes she should be wholeheartedly backed. As other people quite rightly say, matchplay is so different to stroke play so he may surprise. Having said that though he didn't exactly set the heather alight at Celtic Manor did he? Personally I think it would be better for Europe if Colsaerts finished joint 2nd or better at Gleneagles. If that happened it would then be a case of who would Olly's 2nd pick be as his first will almost certainly be Poulter.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:14 pm

super_realist wrote:Excellent from sergio, hopefully that will shut all the Harrington sooth sayers up.

Well done to Sergio. Qualified by right and nobody can argue with that. If he has a bad Ryder Cup though, will you then go on about what an awful record he has in the event? That would be completely unfair in my view but I don't think you would have any choice if you were to be in any way consistent.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:30 pm

All if's and but's so far tin.

Regardless of what happens though he'll s have a better record than the hapless harrington.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:49 pm

In six appearances, Harrington has had three very good, one okay and two very poor. But I don't suppose you're all that interested in facts.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

Is Harrington in the team this year? No, not even close.

Harrington has only won 40% of the points on offer. Garcia 67%. Those are the facts.

Harrington has played 21 and has a 7/11/3 winl/loss/half ratio to Garcia 14/6/4 from 24.

Garcia could lose all five matches and STILL have a better points percentage than harrington.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue 21 Aug 2012, 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:06 pm

I think the picks will now be Poulter & Colsaerts but if Colsaerts does well enough at Gleneagles to qualify automatically, that'll then mean Poulter + another which seriously cant be Kaymer given his form. So with a place still up for grabs in that situation who should get it? Gonzo? Bello? Laird? I could add Harrington to that list but realistically Olly ain't going to pick him is he? He's actually got a better chance of being the 4th vice.

Got to be said Harrington's best efforts at Celtic Manor were reading putts for his playing partner (Fisher I think)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:42 pm

JAS wrote:I think the picks will now be Poulter & Colsaerts but if Colsaerts does well enough at Gleneagles to qualify automatically, that'll then mean Poulter + another which seriously cant be Kaymer given his form. So with a place still up for grabs in that situation who should get it?
This is spot on thumbsup

If that scenario did happen, I'd go for RCB.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 21 Aug 2012, 8:23 am

JAS wrote:I think the picks will now be Poulter & Colsaerts but if Colsaerts does well enough at Gleneagles to qualify automatically, that'll then mean Poulter + another which seriously cant be Kaymer given his form. So with a place still up for grabs in that situation who should get it? Gonzo? Bello? Laird? I could add Harrington to that list but realistically Olly ain't going to pick him is he? He's actually got a better chance of being the 4th vice.

Got to be said Harrington's best efforts at Celtic Manor were reading putts for his playing partner (Fisher I think)

i cant see PH as a vice as hes not best buds with many of the players (or ollie) and he kind of does his own thing usually

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Aug 2012, 9:38 am

For all you Irish out there, I think Shane Lowry has a better shot at it...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 21 Aug 2012, 9:58 am

pedro wrote:For all you Irish out there, I think Shane Lowry has a better shot at it...

Cue S_R on a fat boy rant...

Personally I'm a Harrington fan, and his never say lost attitude is a great asset for matchplay.. but based on his recent & current form.. I wouldn't pick him - his game whilst improving is still too unpredictable. That said, I'm not convinced by RCB and some of the other potential picks either. In fact our last man is a bit problematical.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

Can you really see Lowry play 36 holes a day?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

Does anyone else think Ryder cup performances are a bit of a lottery? I mean who could have predicted Sergio being hockeyed at the hands of Kim in Valhalla. Likewise Oliver Wilson played awesomely despite being one of the lesser known players.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

incontinentia wrote:Does anyone else think Ryder cup performances are a bit of a lottery? I mean who could have predicted Sergio being hockeyed at the hands of Kim in Valhalla. Likewise Oliver Wilson played awesomely despite being one of the lesser known players.

There is an element of that in the singles especially.. any given player beating any other on any given day and all that. For these guys, one round is a bit of a sprint I guess, and that's what team selection is all about - picking those likely to win. There are no guarantees, and if there were, there'd be no need to actually play the matches - it would be like a game of Top Trumps (cue S_R saying "Pick Shane Lowry for the kerbside weight category").
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 21 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

Incontinentia - Absolutely. But it's fun to be sure. I would never, however, attend another RC in person. I was at Oakland Hills and it was difficult to follow the action on the course. Best viewed on TV -- and I like it better still when it's in Europe and I have much of the day leftover after the event .

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

super_realist wrote:Can you really see Lowry play 36 holes a day?
18 x foursome + 18 x donuts

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

Shotrock wrote:Incontinentia - Absolutely. But it's fun to be sure. I would never, however, attend another RC in person. I was at Oakland Hills and it was difficult to follow the action on the course. Best viewed on TV -- and I like it better still when it's in Europe and I have much of the day leftover after the event .

European crowds produce a better atmosphere too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:18 pm

Call me sad but sometimes I actually find the mashed potato comments funny. So dont mind the more exuberant us crowds.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:21 pm

That should carry a custodial sentence Mac.

I liked it when Europe sang "you've only got one song" to the Yanks.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:22 pm

Don't worry Mac.. after that comment, calling you sad would be redundant picard
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:25 pm

Must say the European Teams orchestrated antics at Celtic Manor with their fist pumping at the crowd really left a sour taste in the mouth with me........

Ross Fisher looked particularly foolish doing it....it just didn't come natural to him. And GMac's fetish for a high five was nausiating..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:28 pm

High fives are a shiversomely embarassing thing, especially from fat white golfers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:33 pm

Actually have to admit that I usually end up rooting for the US team, not sure why?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:35 pm

your god Woods perhaps?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

Super

This will make your day. I think you have a good point. Although this time it could be different with Rory and Rose on the UK team, both players i like to support.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:44 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

This will make your day. I think you have a good point. Although this time it could be different with Rory and Rose on the UK team, both players i like to support.

The UK team ??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

The fact you mentioned "rooting" gives away your fondness for Americanisms, no surprise you prefer them. I blame drivel like Glee etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

Maybe he means the Australian version of rooting? Actually.. let's not go there
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:49 pm

Super - Really don't care much about the crowds -- it's the golf that I watch.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:55 pm

I can't stand the vitriolic USA chant. Ghastly, plus the retarded shouts of GEDINDAHOLE or YOUDAMAN are really irritating.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm

Ah Super, so you like the "Europe" chant??

Personally i like most of the crowd hoo-haw during the RC. I don't take the RC too seriously as, to me, it's not an important golf competition, however it is a great showcase and a great event.....if you can understand the diffrenciation i am trying to make....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm

never heard the "europe" chant so it can't be that prevalent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:08 pm

super_realist wrote:never heard the "europe" chant so it can't be that prevalent.

It goes kinda like "You ruh ope".........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:11 pm

Sounds pretty bad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

John Cregan wrote:
super_realist wrote:never heard the "europe" chant so it can't be that prevalent.

Turning a two syllable word into a three syllable one just so it scans the same as the other team's chant, is even more stupid than the original U-S-A one... and that's saying something.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm

NedB-H wrote:
John Cregan wrote:

Turning a two syllable word into a three syllable one just so it scans the same as the other team's chant, is even more stupid than the original U-S-A one... and that's saying something.

Sort of sums up the RC for me. How do you cheer on a side that in any other sporting context just doesnt exist, well maybe apart from the Mosconi Cup pool tournament.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:Can you really see Lowry play 36 holes a day?
18 x foursome + 18 x donuts
pedro- you seem to be taking on the role of super's pandering manservant whenever he comes out with these hogwash comments about Lowry. Shane is a good man, he doesn't deserve this.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:25 pm

He may well be, but he's still a fat bar steward who looks about 40, not 25.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:25 pm

NedB-H wrote:
John Cregan wrote:

The only way a 2 syllable "Europe" chant would work is when preceedede by a bout of hand clapping, which wouldn't be great for Golf!!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:29 pm

I tend to think of the RC as an event for the same type of fan who thinks the golf season consists of nothing more than the masters, open and RC.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

A bit like X factor being for fat mums and sad dads?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:45 pm

Diggers wrote:
NedB-H wrote:
John Cregan wrote:

Sort of sums up the RC for me. How do you cheer on a side that in any other sporting context just doesnt exist, well maybe apart from the Mosconi Cup pool tournament.
Lucky that I can support Manchester United Cricket Club then!

I tend to "support" European golfers in tournaments regardless of the RC... if a Frenchman, a Swede, a South African and an American were in contention to win a tour event I can almost guarantee I'd want one of the first two to win. I guess that's ultimately because of the Ryder Cup effect, it wasn't a conscious decision though, and I don't support all the Europeans in tennis for example (probably cos they're all European at the moment...)

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

I cheer for the US in the Ryder Cup.

But in the Solheim Cup I always cheer for the better looking golfer - which, of course, means the Scandinavian competitors.

Sexist? No, simply human.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 21 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

Oh really.... it may not be of their origination... but don't you remember the European crowds in EVERY victorious Ryder Cup for at least a couple of decades singing Ole' ole'... ole'... olaaaay" ?

I sure remember it... every stinking time... stung like hell too... :-)

But I do get where you are coming from on the USA.. USA.. chant... annoys the fire out of me too... but please... don't characterize U.S. fans with a brush of inappropriate jingoism.. and not be willing to paint the Euros with the same brush for the same types of behavior.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next