The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's world cup squad

2 posters

Go down

Scotland's world cup squad Empty Scotland's world cup squad

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 2:14 pm

Well with our season only a few weeks away from finishing up, the Summer is going to be a very long indeed especially with the world cup to look forward to.

With the world cup just around the corner, lets put ourselves in Andy Robinson and Gregor Townsends shoes, assuming we’ll be taking a 36 man squad, who do we think will be travelling and furthermore who do we think will make the test matches.

Forwards :
Jacobsen, Traynor, Welsh, Ford, Lawson, Murray, Cross, Low, Kellock, Gray, Hamilton, Hines, Barclay, Brown, Beattie, Vernon, Strokosch, Harley, Denton

Backs :
Lawson, Cusiter, Laidlaw, Parks, Jackson, S Lamont, R Lamont, Morrison, Ansbro, NDL, Paterson, Cuthbert, Evans, Danielli, Walker, Cairns, Thompson

Notable omissions are Blair and Southwell, reasons being Blair is a Scrum Half as is Laidlaw, however Laidlaw has also shown an ability to cover at Stand Off at Edinburgh and as such would be more useful than Blair who is yet to discover his form. Southwell has been omitted because Thompson, Cuthbert, Patterson and S&R Lamont all offer versatility in the backline, whereas Southwell is more a pure fullback. Also the fact that he has been in poor form also influenced my decicsion.

As for the Forwards, certain members of the front row pick themselves, although in doing this we seem a little thin on the ground for loosehead cover. Other than That we seem to have arguably very good strength in all areas of the forwards.
From that my match day XXII would probably look like :
1. Jacobsen
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Brown
7. Barclay
8. Beattie
9. Cusiter
10. Jackson
11. Evans
12. S. Lamont
13. Ansbro
14. Daniell
15. Paterson

16. Murray
17. Lawson
18. Hines
19. Vernon
20. Lawson
21. R. Lamont
22. Cuthbert

I appreciate that team may look a touch different to what Robinson has been doing in the 6N although this is a Team I feel can play the sort of game he wants us to play a wee bit better.

In the long run I really hope that Cairns and Thompson make the squad, it would also be nice to see Denton make the trip too, he has been electric in the performances in magers league so far so is there on Merit.

What do you guys think about this? And what would your world cup squads look like?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Scotland's world cup squad Empty Re: Scotland's world cup squad

Post by MR. scotland27 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 5:21 pm

Mostly a good choice rugger but,

I'm not sure that ommiting blair is a good idea purely because of his experinces of three world cups and two lions tours. He was also a former captain and i think he COULD rediscover his form at any time.

I'm also not sure about cuthbert as he hasn't had as much first team experince with bath, and he has only got Scotland A experince, it be just like throwing him at the deep end.

However i think Ansboro, Richie Gray, Max Evans and Jackson are the future and Andy Robinson should be looking to build a team around them for the future; as they are certainly the most talented scottish rugby players for a while.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down