The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WORST CASES OF INCOMPETENT PROMOTING AND MANAGEMENT???

+7
The Galveston Giant
licence_007
oxring
Scottrf
HumanWindmill
D4thincarnation
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

WORST CASES OF INCOMPETENT PROMOTING AND MANAGEMENT??? Empty WORST CASES OF INCOMPETENT PROMOTING AND MANAGEMENT???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:24 pm

I remember a promoter going bankrupt by promoting the WBC fight between Costello and Smith about 10 days before Christmas in new york........

I remember Arum saying he'd budgetted Barkley 600,000 for Nunn when his Manager phoned up and said they'll not take a cent less than 500,000...

Any other shocking cases like this in our noble sport

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

WORST CASES OF INCOMPETENT PROMOTING AND MANAGEMENT??? Empty Re: WORST CASES OF INCOMPETENT PROMOTING AND MANAGEMENT???

Post by D4thincarnation Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:25 pm

I don't think we would know about the worse case.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

WORST CASES OF INCOMPETENT PROMOTING AND MANAGEMENT??? Empty Re: WORST CASES OF INCOMPETENT PROMOTING AND MANAGEMENT???

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Jack Dempsey v Tommy Gibbons bankrupted the town of Shelby, Montana.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Jack Dempsey v Tommy Gibbons bankrupted the town of Shelby, Montana.
That came to my mind too. Brilliant management by Kearns though, poor investment.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Remember seeing the wbc 130 pound Chavez-Da cruz fight in paris and seeing about three people there....

Don't know who's idea that was.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Remember seeing the wbc 130 pound Chavez-Da cruz fight in paris and seeing about three people there....

Don't know who's idea that was.
Bradley vs Alexander in Detroit didn't work out well either.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 pm

You won't like it - but I always felt Eleta was pretty rubbish with his management of Duran.

He gave Duran deJesus when he knew Duran hadn't trained. He knew Duran would blow up and party after Montreal. So why sign for a crazy 5 month rematch?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Team Khan? Admittedly not the worst, but they're not doing Khan's popularity any favours.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Not entirely Tex Rickard's fault, but he did misread public opinion, to some extent, concerning Johnson v Jeffries.

The fight was originally to be staged in California but, at the eleventh hour, the Governor of California bowed to public pressure over questions of brutality in prizefighting, ( though it probably had more to do with the race issue, ) and Rickard, who had already built the stadium, had to shift everything out to Reno pretty damned quickly.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Bramble-Rosario......A huge unification with Camacho awaited the rasta man so he tunes up with the hands of stone fisted guy who nearly stopped Camacho a couple of months before and ruins it.....

Rosario wasn't mandatory.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 pm

How about the wonderful and curious case of Nonpareil Jack Dempsey v Johnny Reagan ?

The promoters, in their infinite wisdom, staged this one on a beach in Long Island. All was fair and dandy until ............

the tide came in.

Ring, fighters and the crowd had to be relocated so that the fight could continue.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:How about the wonderful and curious case of Nonpareil Jack Dempsey v Johnny Reagan ?

The promoters, in their infinite wisdom, staged this one on a beach in Long Island. All was fair and dandy until ............

the tide came in.

Ring, fighters and the crowd had to be relocated so that the fight could continue.

That's brilliant!

They should have made them carry on underwater/swimming. The ref could have had a boat.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 pm

That's good....Love to see these old cases....

Great if Mayweather or someone hired a private beach dug a twenty twenty out in the sand and had a world title on the line....

Certainly make it more interesting..

those were obviously the days 8)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Jack Dempsey v Tommy Gibbons bankrupted the town of Shelby, Montana.

For anyone interested here's a great book on it, will be purchasing it myself soon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shelbys-Folly-Dempsey-Shakedown-Boomtown/dp/0803226551/ref=pd_ys_qtk_wl_t?ie=UTF8&coliid=IIQN3PUKQ50R1&colid=1535PBZ82GDIU&pf_rd_p=217325491&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1K9K2853HQZ60PCG7SWD
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:44 pm

oxring wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:How about the wonderful and curious case of Nonpareil Jack Dempsey v Johnny Reagan ?

the tide came in.

That's brilliant!

They should have made them carry on underwater/swimming. The ref could have had a boat.

And the fighters could have worn snorkels.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:48 pm

But they'd have to kick with their feet to stay afloat!! Kicking is illegal.

so the one that drowns first should be given the fight

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:48 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:

For anyone interested here's a great book on it, will be purchasing it myself soon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shelbys-Folly-Dempsey-Shakedown-Boomtown/dp/0803226551/ref=pd_ys_qtk_wl_t?ie=UTF8&coliid=IIQN3PUKQ50R1&colid=1535PBZ82GDIU&pf_rd_p=217325491&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1K9K2853HQZ60PCG7SWD

Reckon that'll be interesting, Galveston.

Kearns, by all accounts, was as twisted as a corkscrew.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But they'd have to kick with their feet to stay afloat!! Kicking is illegal.

so the one that drowns first should be given the fight

Sounds a bit like the old witch drowning, Truss. If she floats, she's guilty and if she drowns she's innocent.

D4 would approve of logic such as this.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Sometimes I'd like to find out if my Wife is a witch..

Sounds like a tried and tested system..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sometimes I'd like to find out if my Wife is a witch..

Sounds like a tried and tested system..

Think of the nipper on the way, mate.

How is Mrs Truss, anyway ? All OK?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Volatile is the word....She is more happy about it than me and I think she knows it.....

I think it makes her feel young again....

Everything is fine..just wish they could devise a test where we can find out if the baby is a redhead like it's Mother...(Rob escaped)

Then I can do a runner before it arrives 8)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Ha !

Glad all's well. You'll be doting on the little 'un when he / she comes along.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Feeling resentful Mate....Like I've been conned into something...

Was hoping to start living again in a few years.. now Rob is getting bigger and becoming a young man...

Kind of like a new life sentence...

Joanne has been a bit selfish...but what can you do..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Feeling resentful Mate....Like I've been conned into something...

Was hoping to start living again in a few years.. now Rob is getting bigger and becoming a young man...

Kind of like a new life sentence...

Joanne has been a bit selfish...but what can you do..

Trust Mother Nature, mate. She'll see you right.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

I'll keep on board your excellent advice 8)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Calzaghe promotions.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Mick hennesey? He has the most exciting British fighter in Carl Froch fighting in a global tournament and no one knows anything about it!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:23 am

Didn't JMM take (and lose) a fight with Chris John for something like $30k?

Actually, having read this:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Chris_John_vs._Juan_Manuel_Marquez

it seems the whole thing was pretty poorly handled.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:26 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:Mick hennesey? He has the most exciting British fighter in Carl Froch fighting in a global tournament and no one knows anything about it!

Could not agree more. Carl Froch may not be the most athletic or technically gifted boxer, but he can hang with the top guys and he's been in some superbly entertaining fights. His recent form: Johnson, Abraham, Kessler, Direll, Taylor, Pascal (and then possibly Ward!) puts most other modern boxers to shame. And it's not as if he's shy in front of a camera. I find it amazing that he's largely unknown even in the UK and that he constantly has to fight away from home in places like Helsinki!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:28 am

Hey, Helsinki was a brilliant trip! Just a bit cold...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down