The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Los Pumas: Met the expectations?

4 posters

Go down

Los Pumas: Met the expectations? Empty Los Pumas: Met the expectations?

Post by Argie fan Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Today, I read in newspapers harsh comments against Los Pumas, especially some Australian and UK press.
I wonder what do they expect the first game of a new kids on the block team play in the tournament?
How can a journalist specializing in rugby strongly condemn they?
Anyone who understands rugby could only hope to defeat, might not a professional journalist have expected anything else, so, Why punish the rookie team in the tournament with only one match?
You cannot, at this time, criticizing beginners as fiercely as the other three.
I personally think the team played bad, really did not like, but I understand that the anxiety and debut nerves has complicated things
A combination of errors and missed opportunities - and South Africa's overall strength - ensured Los Pumas didn't get close to an upset in the first of six matches this season against the top three teams in the world
Child mistakes were made and squandered good opportunities, but you have to give them time to assess definitively.
Back to question usual: What another team could do better tournament?
Russia, USA, Fiji, Canada, Romania, Georgia, Samoa, Tonga? No, there is no better alternative than Los Pumas.
No one can say that Los Pumas inclusion in the tournament was a mistake viewing only the first game, I think a first analysis should be done only at the end of the first year, and a serious analysis should be done at the end of 4 years cycle.

Trying to be realistic these are the percentage chances of victory that I assign to Los Pumas:

Vs NZ in NZ : 5%
Vs NZ at home: 15%
Vs SA in SA: 20%
Vs SA at home: 35%
Vs AU in AU: 25%
VS AU at home: 40%

Thanks.
Argie fan
Argie fan

Back to top Go down

Los Pumas: Met the expectations? Empty Re: Los Pumas: Met the expectations?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:08 pm

In fairness Argie fan, you should've seen what the Aussie press wrote about their own team. When you play against the top ranked teams, unfortunately you're going to be judged in terms of that calibre.

So whilst it wasn't a good result yesterday, it's certainly early days yet. Your home games I think are what you'll be really judged on. I don't think anybody realistically expects you to win any away matches. Very much early days. The Argentinians have the most to learn playing in this tournament. The rest pretty much know how Argentina will play but Argentina can fine tune and add things to their game along the way.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:12 pm

They went as well as can be expected. This isn't the toughest (and best) Rugby comp in the world for nothing!

I would hope (and expect) that they get better. To be honest, the players as individuals need to think about what is going to make them better players. Playing in European competitions or trying to pick up a contract in a Super 15 team, albeit on lesser money.

I don't see anything negative about it if they receive a few pastings this season. I expect them to be strong at home and they will eventually get better and better. For now, it is about getting used to the pace and intensity of southern hemisphere rugby. Again, it isn't going to help when all of your players are from Nth Hem clubs.

Welcome to the club!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 pm

This was there first game in a tough tournament.To be honest Argentina looked a little off the pace yesterday, but SA was more well tuned as a team.

SA more skill full but Argentina will get better as the tournament goes on.
For the first game in a tournament that they have never played in before they did not do too bad.

Give them time, time to ajust to the tempo of the game, to the skill level that is required to play at this level.

They may not look good enough just now. But come 2015 Rugby World Cup they will be a tougher team to beet.

Argentina will get better. But it will take time.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down