The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: 123 Barclays Cards: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
ScottieD18
twoeightnine
Lairdy
GPB
robopz
SmithersJones
John Cregan
princedracula
Shotrock
Conehead
hend085
incontinentia
EmmDee57
Bob_the_Job
Sand
super_realist
NedB-H
skiddy
Tinmar
pedro
Redrage
McLaren
Slowride
sirbenson
Plunky
kwinigolfer
30 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: 123 Barclays Cards: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: 123 Barclays Cards: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 4:32

1).Well done Sergio, a second emphatic European win on Tour in eight days after a season spent mostly in the doldrums. It's not often that the "horses for courses" and/or "home advantage" maxims manifest themselves so comprehensively as they did this week, with eight of the top 13 having very strong ties to the Carolinas and adjacent States. Throw in a couple of Texans, a Californian, and a Spaniard whose first effort on the Sedgefield course was a third place as an 18-year-old amateur!

2).All of which makes Nicolas Colsaerts' 7th place finish all the more noteworthy. A good finish this week in Scotland, and Europe's Ryder Cup chances will seem a lot brighter than they did just a fortnight ago.

3).Before we move on to the play-offs, let's add a couple of post-scripts from Kiawah.
Firstly, Lee Westwood (first in greens in regulation over 36 holes) firing Pete Cowen and engaging Tony Johnstone. If Johnstone can battle (if not cure) Westwood's short game woes half as well as he's battled MS these past eight years then Westwood will be back at the top of his game in short order. Johnstone told GolfWorld that Westwood has been driving him "a bit doolally not winning Majors because of his short game". We'll see.

4).And the Nearly Man Major Champion of 2012 is Adam Scott, with a final total of 1,130 strokes at the season's Four Grand Slammers. The full leaderboard of those who made all four cuts is:
1).Scott: 1,130
2).McDowell: 1,132
3).Poulter: 1,138
4).Harrington: 1,139
5).Woods: 1,143
6).Dufner and Furyk: 1,144
8).Stricker: 1,148
9).Jacobson: 1,149
10).Molinari and Bradley: 1,156
12).Z.Johnson: 1,162

5).The US Media have been making clear their dissatisfaction with Kiawah as a Major Championship venue.
One thing is for sure: Bellerive C.C. in St.Louis will take the next open US Major date having signed up for the 2018 PGA Championship. Player won the 1965 US Open here, Nick Price won the 1992 PGA and Bellerive was due to host the WGC American Express Championship during the week beginning Sept 10th 2001. We know how that went, but the Tour finally returned for the BMW Championship in 2008, won by Camilo Villegas.

6).Sergio Garcia was not the only golfer to enjoy an emotional win last weekend; the Champions Tour's Dick's Sporting Goods Open, in Endicott, NY, was won by once-can't-miss-prospect Willie Wood. For a variety of reasons, including the tragic illness and eventual death of his wife, the now-51-year-old Wood's career didn't materialise quite as expected and he had to "open qualify" last week as he had no exemptions. But, as they say, class is permanent, and great to see the 1983 Walker Cupper come out on top.
A comeback of sorts also for the En-Joie course which had been ravaged by floods during last autumn's hurricanes, just a few years after being devastated by floods which led to its removal as host of the Tour's BC Open.

7).And so to Bethpage Black and "The Barclays".
The Tillinghast classic, on New York City's Long Island, has only seen the Tour's best twice before, at the US Opens of 2002 and 2009. Unlike Upstate New York, which produces a steady supply of top golfers, the immediate New York area seldom yields a top player so the only homefield advantage will be enjoyed by adopted son Phil Mickelson. Bethpage is a BIG golfcourse with relatively small greens, likely to play firm and fast in ideal weather and the only horses for courses clues date back to those Opens. The seven golfers to make both cuts then who are in this week's field are: Woods, Mickelson, Garcia, Mayfair, Stricker, Choi and Singh.

8).This being the first leg of the FedEx play-offs, 125 golfers qualified (Dufner and Levin are absent) and the top 100 in FedEx points after this week will advance to the Boston area and the Deutsche Bank. Europeans in most danger of failing to move on include:
95th: Jacobson
111th: Christian
117th: Stenson
while among other "notables" in trouble are: Schwartzel, LoveIII, Allenby, Day and Immelman.
Likely winner? No idea, but difficult not to fancy Garcia (4th in 2002, 10th in 2009), Harrington (8th in 2002) and McIlroy (10th in 2009) among Europeans.

9).Next year's Wyndham Championship at Greensboro will be the final tournament of the "regular" 2013 season. The Top 125 in FedEx points will move on to the Play Offs, 126-200 will go the yet-to-be-fully-defined three event series with the web.com's best, and anyone languishing below 200th will have to wait until Q-School to play again.
Crucial point of all this is that dollars won no longer will be the official currency of the PGA Tour, FedEx points will be.
As a general guide, the players who earn the most money will be the same as those who garner the highest FedEx points total, but there will be differences.
This year for instance, Jhonny Vegas has won $744K (105th on Tour) but, because he is 126th on the FedEx points list, he sits at home this week while Heath Slocum plays at Bethpage having won just $424K (142nd on Tour), but harvested more FedEx points. There are plenty more such discrepancies, but that's what the Tour wants. owgr points will still be important of course for the Majors and one assumes the PGA of America will continue to use dollars for their qualifying lists, both for its Championship and Ryder Cup selection. Not sure about the Pres.Cup which, after all, is run by the PGA Tour.

10).Big news in golf this week has been the admission of Condoleeza Rice and Darla Moore as Members at Augusta National. Always thought Condi Rice had the makings of a good person despite the sordid work colleagues she had for a while.
But I DO know that Darla Moore has been a powerful force for good at the University of South Carolina where she has for many years made generous endowments to its Business School which now bears her name, the International Programs being especially highly regarded (#1 in the nation according to US News and World Report). She's most certainly not just a figurehead and hopefully her character will prove a strong influence among the good ol' boys up the road in Augusta. About time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 123 Barclays Cards: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: 123 Barclays Cards: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Plunky Thu 23 Aug - 6:04

Had a great time at the practice day yesterday. Not many players around, and not that many spectators either, but still plenty to fill a day. I think the only group that had a small crowd following them was the foursome of Mickelson, Dustin, Keegan (or Bradley or whatever), and Ricky Fowler.

We watched Luke Donald and Justin Rose for 14th-18th and they were both hitting it well, especially Justin. By the way, Justin has a very well-organized caddy. Most players putted not just to the actual hole but also to areas where they thought the hole might be later in the week. So you saw them aim towards a tee, or a putter cover, etc. But Justin's caddy came prepared with shiny white circles the same size as the hole -- made you feel proud to be british !

Luke engaged in a little light-hearted banter with a couple of guys who were holding what was definitely not their first beer of the day. They liked that, and it was a smart move. I remember when the Open was there in 2002, Sergio had that gripping/regripping thing going on and there was a bunch of locals that counted out loud how many times he did it. It's a tough course and it can be a tough crowd !

Only disappointment was that I didn't see Adam Scott heart
Looking forward to going back saturday and sunday for the tournament atmosphere.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 123 Barclays Cards: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: 123 Barclays Cards: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 6:20

Plunks,
Looks like you'll have fantastic weather for it. Enjoyez vous!

(PS: Adam Scott obviously not a "nearly man" to you!!)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 23 Aug - 7:14

lawrencedonegan ‏@lawrencedonegan
“@IrishGolfDesk: Sergio Garcia blunt about Harrington's Ryder Cup chances 2day: "He wouldn't be a sure pick for me!"” >> what a sore loser

Brian Keogh ‏@IrishGolfDesk
Sergio Garcia was blunt about Harrington's Ryder Cup chances today: "I don't think he's a sure pick. He wouldn't be a sure pick for me!" the exact quote.

Garcia is a complete and utter Muppet.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Thu 23 Aug - 7:39

sirbenson wrote:

Garcia is a complete and utter Muppet.

Another tattie muncher who can't see beyond an irish golfer who is past his prime

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 23 Aug - 7:43

He maybe right but his comments are unneccessary tbh, he is a sore loser who cannot let his two major defeats at the hands of a better golfer with the balls to actually win major(s).

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Aug - 8:49

Nice stuff Kwinsie poo.

The thing with using fedex points is that they are not handed out based on field strength in the same way OWGR points are. For example memorial and the john deer are both worth 500.

In fact as far as I can tell the only points allocations are;

Majors and players: 600
WGC's: 500
Regular event: 500
Alternate: 250

Pretty odd that you could play the 10 hardest events on tour and finish ok but loose out to someone who played just a smidgen better but in the ten easiest events.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 8:58

Yup, think you meant 550 for the WGC's.

Imagine the PGA Tour consider golfers play the Memorial for the prestige of the title, but want to have a level playing field (of tournaments) so keep it the same for every event. Fair enough, but I'd like to see some bigger differential for Majors and WGC's.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 23 Aug - 8:59

sirbenson wrote:He maybe right but his comments are unneccessary tbh, he is a sore loser who cannot let his two major defeats at the hands of a better golfer with the balls to actually win major(s).

He was stating a fact imo, Pod isn't a sure pick. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer that most people would concede was a fair assessment. He has a poor recent RC record and there are a number of player who have been in better form. He lived off his major record last time with a WC and delivered zip. It's a win this week or he misses out in my eyes.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Aug - 9:07

Your right I meant 550.

I have often wondered if the OWGR exaggerated the spread of talent in the top 200 but offering the same fedex points for all events seems to under estimate beating the very best players. At least now the players will have to admit the pick certain events for nothing other than money.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 23 Aug - 9:32

Redrage, you're spot on!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Thu 23 Aug - 10:09

Redrage wrote:
sirbenson wrote:He maybe right but his comments are unneccessary tbh, he is a sore loser who cannot let his two major defeats at the hands of a better golfer with the balls to actually win major(s).

He was stating a fact imo, Pod isn't a sure pick. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer that most people would concede was a fair assessment. He has a poor recent RC record and there are a number of player who have been in better form. He lived off his major record last time with a WC and delivered zip. It's a win this week or he misses out in my eyes.

I'm not saying Padraig should be a pick but what you've written above is completely unfair. Delivered zip in 2010! He won two points with Ross Fisher without which the USA would have won. Fisher lost his opening match with the great Ian Poulter so it just shows that the right chemistry in any pairing is probably more important than anything else.

Regarding Sergio, he always seems to come across as a bitter and petty little child where Padraig is concerned.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by skiddy Thu 23 Aug - 10:16

why are people on here practically dismissing harrington as a serious player. 8 in scoring average on the pgatour this year. Hes had a consistent year in the majors. He was close to winning the us open. So its fairly stupid to dismiss him as past his best.

skiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 10:45

skiddy,
Welcome to the Ballwasher Notes;
If you look at Note 8). above, you'll see I suggest Harrington as having a good chance among the Europeans this week.
You'll also see Note 4). where I mention that his cumulative Major score was fourth best this year.
I agree, he's enjoyed a promising year. Padraig's glass is not seen as half-empty everywhere on this board . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 23 Aug - 11:47

thumbsup clap as always Kwini (tho I'm taking some credit for #4)!

Re Padraig, I think the answer lies somewhere down the middle. His RC record is average, not magnificent a la Poulter (9/12), nor underperforming to the extent of an Jimenez (5.5/15). He picked up a few points last time, but wasn't playing particularly well, such are the vagaries of matchplay. He's definitely playing better in 2012, and his form + experience are a decent reason to give him a pick, but there are other candidates, and it's already going to be an experienced side. I'd say the one remaining pick (assuming Poulter gets one, and if he doesn't I'm supporting USA) will be between Colsaerts, Padraig, RCB and Olesen, in that order of likeliness.
So, without seeing the full Sergio interview, it sounds like he's right. Padraig isn't a sure pick by any means. He's still got a decent chance though.

Anyway... what do people think of Note #3? Plenty of discussion on here about Westwood dumping Cowan, but I haven't seen any since he announced the replacement. Johnstone is a great commentator on Sky, has an incredible back story and seems to be a genuinely nice bloke, so I hope it works out for the both of them. And he certainly had a hell of a short game. But it must be a bit of a risk for Lee to take on someone with so little coaching experience...? I guess he feels he's at the stage of his career where he has to gamble a bit.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 12:27

Cheers Ned,

Nice to see five Europeans in 4).!

Reaction over here to Westwood's change is pretty much along the lines of "he had to do something" after leading the league in gir over 36 holes, but taking 6 x 3-putts in those same 36 holes last week.
Apparently he wasn't getting Cowen's attention when he most wanted it, and Chubster seems to be saying Westwood is a poor practicer of the short game, needs someone to stay on his case. But apparently Johnstone's flown back to London so won't be at Westwood's beck and call at Bethpage, whether he needs him or not.

Perhaps he really needs Billy Foster more than we ever knew?

A few Tour guys playing in Russell KNOXville this week, including the Man from Inverness himself. Nice threesome of Daly, Janzen and Wittenburg also, Will MacKenzie and Chopra two other eccentrics playing together. Expect the number of Tour card-holders playing web.commers to increase these next few weeks.

Sandy Lyle and Langer the only Europeans playing this week's Champo event where two more old lags make their first Mulligan circuit start: Gene Sauers and Wineman Waldorf. Rocco Mediate and Elkington still to come this year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Aug - 18:50

Garcia being criticised for not being a wooden, predictable, drab and dreary interviewee. Headscratch

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 23 Aug - 18:56

“I’m sure that Jose is going to pick whoever he thinks is best for the team,” he said. “I mean, I don’t know if that includes Harrington or not.” Garcia said. “I don’t think he’s a sure pick. He wouldn’t be a sure pick for me.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/sergio-garcia-love-padraig-harrington-broken-hearted-european-ryder-cup-captain-overlooking-irishman-article-1.1142577#ixzz24LztpDj6

What exactly is wrong with what hes said? I think at the moment Colsearts is a sure pick and nearly everyone agrees with that....

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Aug - 18:58

Think the tattie munchers just don't like anything bad being said about their village idiot.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 23 Aug - 19:45

Tinmar wrote:
Redrage wrote:

I'm not saying Padraig should be a pick but what you've written above is completely unfair. Delivered zip in 2010! He won two points with Ross Fisher without which the USA would have won. Fisher lost his opening match with the great Ian Poulter so it just shows that the right chemistry in any pairing is probably more important than anything else.

Regarding Sergio, he always seems to come across as a bitter and petty little child where Padraig is concerned.

Pod has returned 8.5 points from a possible 21, it is a very poor record and it is only 4 points from 16 in pairs. Chemistry is important and it looks like he is a hard person to play with or doesn't perform well in this format. He is a very single minded guy, majors were his goal more so once he got his hands on one. Now that he has been in the doldrums his perspective may have changed somewhat but he doesn't bring a strong enough RC record to justify overlooking some of the younger and keener players who are also looking for a pick. So irrespective of how his form has shown an upturn this year, it still hasn't been good enough to secure him a place outright unlike Paul Lawrie for instance. He may be playing the best he has for a few seasons but he has still not done enough to be in the 10 automatic spots or next in line numerically. If you need a pick, a record like his is not going to help. You may not like Sergio, he has matured into a moody and petulant sort... but he has played his way in and you can't argue with that.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Thu 23 Aug - 19:57

Whether he's right or not is completely irrelevant. He shouldn't have said anything. Even the reporter could identify that he was once again being bitter and petty. It's impossible to imagine Padraig commenting on another players chances in a negative manner if the roles were reversed.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Thu 23 Aug - 20:05

Redrage- read my post again. I never said Padraig should be picked.

By the way, I would check your figures again. I think Padraig's overall record is 10.5 out of a possible 25. A total of 4 points in pairings is definitely wrong. His overall record is coloured by only picking up 1 point out of 9 in 2006 & 2008 but he certainly had good partnerships with Paul McGinley & Monty in earlier years.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 23 Aug - 20:17

super_realist wrote:Think the tattie munchers just don't like anything bad being said about their village idiot.

Never one for generalisations S_R Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 23 Aug - 20:22

Once Martin Laird wins the Barclays this week, he will get the final RC Wildcard Smile

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 23 Aug - 20:31

Tinmar wrote:Redrage- read my post again. I never said Padraig should be picked.

By the way, I would check your figures again. I think Padraig's overall record is 10.5 out of a possible 25. A total of 4 points in pairings is definitely wrong. His overall record is coloured by only picking up 1 point out of 9 in 2006 & 2008 but he certainly had good partnerships with Paul McGinley & Monty in earlier years.

You are correct, it is 10.5 out of 25, his Ryder Cup page for the 2010 team doesn't include that years result. Still a pretty poor record though, so it doesn't really alter the dynamics of the discussion. Neither does his good pairings with McGinley, Monty or Fisher... none of them are in this side. 6 points out of a possible 19 in the pairs and you are arguing vociferously that we are being unfair on him. If you don't think he should be picked why are you even debating this issue?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 23 Aug - 20:33

super_realist wrote:Garcia being criticised for not being a wooden, predictable, drab and dreary interviewee. Headscratch

Garcia is a prize coq, always has been. Harrington is a gentleman.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 23 Aug - 20:35

Tinmar wrote:Whether he's right or not is completely irrelevant. He shouldn't have said anything. Even the reporter could identify that he was once again being bitter and petty. It's impossible to imagine Padraig commenting on another players chances in a negative manner if the roles were reversed.

Really again what was so wrong? He said he wasnt a sure pick. He isnt.

End of discussion.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Thu 23 Aug - 20:47

7.5 points out of 19 in pairings. I have no problem with Poulter & Colsaerts being the picks. Padraig's chances have been stymied by his poor play in 2011 which have kept him out of the last four WGC events with guaranteed money and points. His form has actually been very good this year which would certainly make him worthy of consideration.

On a separate issue, it's good to see Colsaerts making a big effort to qualify. It is clear that Poulter and Kaymer are not putting themselves out in any way to do likewise. Harrington and Casey were exactly the same in 2010. For all the talk of what a big deal the Ryder Cup is, very few players are willing to change their schedule in any way to try to qualify.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 20:52

I think Martin Laird is a forgotten man in all this; sure he did himself no favours with his Saturday at Kiawah, but would expect him to play well at Bethpage and remind people that he's a top class player.

Colsaerts certainly in the driving seat but it's a shame Laird is not even in the conversation.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Aug - 20:56

Tinmar wrote:Whether he's right or not is completely irrelevant. He shouldn't have said anything. Even the reporter could identify that he was once again being bitter and petty. It's impossible to imagine Padraig commenting on another players chances in a negative manner if the roles were reversed.

Why not, it's good for sport to have people bold enough not to sanitise everything they say in front of the camera.
Good on sergio, and good riddance Harrington.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 23 Aug - 21:04

Tinmar wrote:7.5 points out of 19 in pairings. I have no problem with Poulter & Colsaerts being the picks. Padraig's chances have been stymied by his poor play in 2011 which have kept him out of the last four WGC events with guaranteed money and points. His form has actually been very good this year which would certainly make him worthy of consideration.

On a separate issue, it's good to see Colsaerts making a big effort to qualify. It is clear that Poulter and Kaymer are not putting themselves out in any way to do likewise. Harrington and Casey were exactly the same in 2010. For all the talk of what a big deal the Ryder Cup is, very few players are willing to change their schedule in any way to try to qualify.

Yep 7.5, I never gave him his halves... it is still nothing to shout about though, he has lost more than half his pairs matches and half his singles matches. An average record at best.

I think Kaymer is happy to slip out of the side, his form is miles off his best. It wouldn't completely surprise me if he declined his invite should he make it. Poulter feels he is a sure pick and I suppose he is. Excellent PGA on his part and a fine matchplay record, so hard to overlook.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 23 Aug - 22:24

kwinigolfer wrote:I think Martin Laird is a forgotten man in all this; sure he did himself no favours with his Saturday at Kiawah, but would expect him to play well at Bethpage and remind people that he's a top class player.

Colsaerts certainly in the driving seat but it's a shame Laird is not even in the conversation.

agreed Kwini. especially when people are mentioning David Lynn!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 22:32

They're on the move at Bethpage and weather conditions should be perfect for much of the day.

Comments about lack of familiarity with the course except under US Open conditions (wet both times it was here) apparently omitted one important fact:
Keegan Bradley went to College close by and has played the course dozens of times - if anyone has homefield advantage, perhaps it's Keegs?

Harrington and Westwood teeing it up . . . now!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Thu 23 Aug - 22:48

The picks seem a lock for me especially with the some of JMO comments recently.
Colsaerts knocking out Kaymer this weekend is the only way it will get interesting.

That would then leave Poulter plus 1 and there doesn't seem to be a standout contender really. Kaymer,Harrington,Laird,Quiros,Lynn etc...... none of them have had amazing seasons.

IF Colsaerts is to oust Kaymer I would personally take Poulter and Paddy but the personal issues between JMO and Harrington seem to be a big factor.

The 12th man seems a weak link compared to the strength of the US team who look likely to leave out DJ who would walk onto the Euro team.

The US team on paper look a lot stronger this year than the Euros but come the weekend that isn't really worth that much.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Aug - 23:01

Doubt DJ would walk into a European tour, he's had a very indifferent season.
I'd pick Olesen, future top ten stalwart.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 23 Aug - 23:13

Well at least Harrington will be Ryder Cup captain someday, unlike Sergio.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Aug - 23:14

Will he? Based on what?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Thu 23 Aug - 23:25

DJ's won once this year and has been out injured for a while and has still almost qualified.

i'd put him ahead of most of the Euro team bar McIlroy,Donald,Westy and Gmac.

See him as similar to Justin Rose's calibre and he's certainly seen as an important member of the Euro team.

I'm sure he would be on the US team if he'd bit fit all season.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 23 Aug - 23:32

Well I think the Euro team looks at least as strong as the US: McIlroy, Gmac, Donald, Garcia, Poultry, Hanson, Colsaerts, Rose, Westy all in good form. Molinari, Lawrie not so much and Kaymer not.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 23 Aug - 23:33

Based on leadership. Sergio went on a micky-fit earlier in the year about how he will never win a Major and was giving up. Who wants someone like that at the helm of Team Europe?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 23 Aug - 23:40

Westwood has been quite average since the US OPEN wouldn't you say?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Aug - 23:46

Abiding memory of Valhalla in 2008 is that of Garcia, Harrington and Westwood producing next to nothing, no points, no leadership, no good.

You can have the best team you ever thought of, but if the "horses" don't come to play, and they didn't for whatever reason, you'll get stuffed.

For that reason, if no other, Westwood's form these next couple of weeks is crucial.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Fri 24 Aug - 0:01

Colsaerts going nicely this afternoon.

Form can go out of the window at the Ryder Cup as the nerves can play such a big role.

Even though Westy has been shaky of late i'm sure he'll still be one of Europe's biggest points contributor.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 24 Aug - 1:49

Interesting course BPB ... played it twice, both times had to "sleep" in the parking lot to get a tee time. Not sure I would do that anymore!

If anyone wants to see some cultural regional differences in these United States, they could attend this event and then one in suburban Boston or Philadelphia. Far fewer unspoken thoughts in the Longuyland crowd -- that I'll guarantee.

Euro contingent looking strong early, good indication for the Ryder Cup.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Aug - 1:50

Sergio to -4.
Then five Europeans tied with five others for 2nd!

Funny that no-one is talking up Greg Owen or Gary Christian for Ryder Cup duty . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Aug - 1:51

Funny thing that, Sr, only times I've slept in golfcourse car parks has been after the round, not before!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 24 Aug - 1:54

kwinigolfer wrote:Abiding memory of Valhalla in 2008 is that of Garcia, Harrington and Westwood producing next to nothing, no points, no leadership, no good.
I recall in 2006 over here, these 3 stood out from the rest: Garcia and Westood the top scorers all week, while sadly Harri came bottom of the pile in the Euro team...

Great start by many of the top guns, always good to see that.

And BTW, thanks for the notes, kwini, as usual clap

...and a special thanks for bringing to our attention over the past season the adventures of Gary Christian and Greg Owen on the PGA Tour. What an excellent year they're having and it just looks to be getting better all the time...

Sergio's en fuego!

But Paddy looks determined to chase him around this week... Wink

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 24 Aug - 2:13

Go on Padraig!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 24 Aug - 2:14

Gooo Padraiggggggggggg!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Aug - 2:14

Cheers pd,
Actually thought Harrington was a touch unlucky in 2006, didn't seem to play poorly, just kept running in to good form, and a hole in one!

As for Owen and Christian, and I had little hope for either of them in January!, haven't they done well!! Meanwhile, two of our most consistent players all year, Davis and McDowell, are struggling early on here.

Four birds on the bounce for Padraig, anything Sergio can do, Harri can try to do better . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next