The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irresponsible.......or what?

5 posters

Go down

Irresponsible.......or what? Empty Irresponsible.......or what?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Aug 2012, 1:58 am

Oscar De La Hoya has offered 100k to the fighter who scores the best KO on the Alverez v Lopez fight. For me this beggers belief that an ex fighter would promote such a crazy, ill concieved idea. We all know the dangers of boxing and at the same time we know that Ko's are part of the game but to sugar coat it is a bit risky IMO.

Getting koed is exciting to watch don't get me wrong but we know that a well timed, well placed shot can end careers and worse. These things should not be tied to the end of a stick like a carrot for fighters to reach out and grab but it should be left to accur naturally.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by ONETWOFOREVER on Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Irresponsible.......or what? Empty Re: Irresponsible.......or what?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:08 am

Maybe he knows fans will rather watch Chavez v Martinez.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 23 Aug 2012, 6:58 am

At times I'm sure the man just tries to see how he can lose more of the public's respect. Having previously been a fans favourite you would have thought he would have cashed in on that aspect. Instead he continues to make a fool of himself.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:54 am

The UFC offer a KO of the Night bonus, along with Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night bonuses.

Doesn't seem to cause any problems over there.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:55 am

Apart from the slightly tawdry and tacky nature of such an inducement I don’t much see the problem with this, end of the day fighters try to knock their opponents out and I would imagine should the opportunity to do so arise most fighters would take it irrespective of whether there is a few more quid in it. Is not like a financial inducement is going to turn a guy without a punch into Earnie Shavers or a naturally passive guy into Tyson, however personally would rather see the money spent on the undercard than cheap UFC stunts.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:47 am

Lopez unfortunatly is likely to be KO'd.
I think it's a cheap stunt to try and distract punters from the much better Top Rank specticle.
Oscar retiring has been bad for boxing, He's destroying everything Richard Schaefer built up at Golden Boy.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down