The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 6

+9
Chazfazzer
socal1976
User 774433
ryan86
Josiah Maiestas
Tropicalfruiter
CaledonianCraig
bogbrush
The Special Juan
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

US Open Day 6 - Page 2 Empty US Open Day 6

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Matches of Note:

Murray v Lopez
Federer v Verdasco
Simon v Fish
Querrey v Berdych
Sock v Almagro
Blake v Raonic
Cilic v Nishikori

Jankovic v Aggy Radwanska
Makarova v Williams
Stephens v Ivanovic

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=subnav
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 6 - Page 2 Empty Re: US Open Day 6

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

Mr Federer 2 sets and a break up v Verdasco. The word "cruising" doesn't come close.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Lendl and Roddick in Murrays box next year.

Might just motivate him.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:50 pm

I don't see Roddick as a coach. No offence to Roddick, but I really don't think he has the mentality of a coach.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

What Roddick?

That man has smarts most players wish they could have. He is coach material through and through

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:53 pm

I mean he'd go ballistic during the rallies if his player wasn't doing well. I'm not criticising his tactical nous, I think that's one of his better traits.

Big chance gone for Murray, I wonder if that was his final hurrah.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:55 pm

That's the while thing. Roddick would command respect and also the upmost commitment from his player. Yes he might get the arse, but the desire to succeed would rub off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

Let's see if Lopez can hold serve. Looking a tad tired himself

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm

I'm not surprised, he himself nearly threw the match away v Andujar. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't want to be interviewing Murray after this match, win or lose.

Federer 1 game away from winning his match. It started after the Murray/Lopez match and it will finish before it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:07 pm

Fed wraps it up.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

This TB is the match.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm

I wish they could come up with more exciting chants. I'm getting fed up after 6 days of "Let's go player, let's go"

How about something like:

His name Andy, he comes from Dunblane
Whenever he loses, he pretends he's in pain.

His first name is Mardy, his second name Fish
Before 2011 he really was pish.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:19 pm

Phew
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm

Only saw the last tb but the rallies seemed really cautious, trying to wait for errors. Was it that way for long?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:23 pm

Last 2 sets I think.

Murray didn't win that match. Lopez lost it. A better player who isn't a bottler would have wrecked Murray.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:27 pm

A quick match summary - that was a fantastic game of tennis. In the matches I've seen him play that is the best I have ever seen Feliciano Lopez play. Andy's performance was very patchy at times but no one can question his guts. He looked to be floundering but pulled it around but on the downside this match should have been over in three sets. A year or two ago Andy quite probably would have lost that match. Not sure what the physical issue is/was but must do better.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

Hopefully it was a blip. Bogomolov Jr match was a one off as Murray had barely any hard court matches and a long gap between them. However, should he play Raonic, he can't afford to a) Give serve away cheaply and b) Let Raonic have so many free points.

Still, needs an ice bath and a good night's sleep. And that's just me.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:46 pm

There is no guarantee that it will be Raonic he plays - it could be James Blake. If it is Raonic then the Canadian will be bidding to move into unfamiliar territory in slams by reaching his first ever QF.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm

Just to say that during Andy's trials and tribulations, Roger Federer was in cruise mode on Arthur Ashe Court to win in straight sets against Fernando Verdasco. Very clinical.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

One word: Un-impressed!

I don't like theatrics brought on by 'fatigue'

Lost a bit of respect for him tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:02 pm

Okay so no credit to Lopez then legendkillar? That is the best I have seen him play so it was clear it was going to be a closer contested match than they have had in the past Murray was more patchy but still had moments of pure magic. As for your 'theatrics' fair enough if that is how or what you feel it was and once your respect has gone for a player then I suggest it is time to move on to get right behind another player instead. Great match though by the way.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:04 pm

CC,

I said Lopez was playing well earlier. Murray putting energy into theatrics and not chasing points and just being petulant put a dampener on the match.

I shall be moving my alligence to someone like Robson who shows character, respect and above all else doesn't grunt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

On serve in the Blake/Raonic match.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:CC,

I said Lopez was playing well earlier. Murray putting energy into theatrics and not chasing points and just being petulant put a dampener on the match.

I shall be moving my alligence to someone like Robson who shows character, respect and above all else doesn't grunt.
Quote harsh on Murray man Run

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

More of the same negative out look on the game LK, I don't understand it. I mean this was a great match, is it poor because it went 3 tiebreakers and last 3 hours and 45? Craig is right, it was great Lopez was loving the atmosphere and the conditions and playing well. This is what I mean by everyone talking themselves into talk of supposedly boring modern tennis. Every match that is tough and close fought will invariably last a long time, and then the uberpurists analyze the way the match was played to see if it fits into their view of what attacking tennis should be. The fans were giving standing ovations throughout the 4th set on some miraculous shot making and all we get here is this was Lopez losing it and not murray winning and how this match was defensive and too long. I watched large parts of it and it was great what I saw.

Last edited by socal1976 on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:09 pm

Fair enough - that is your choice. And playing well isn't really high enough praise as it is the best I have certainly seen him play against Murray and quite possibly ever. And sorry but where was Andy petulant? I saw no rackets getting broken or no warnings for obscenities from the umpire etc etc. As for the theatrics that is your opinion as well and intititled to it you are.

Now on court Raonic/Blake.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

I mean are all these people standing and cheering after these 23 shot rallies idiots? Literally in the 4th set after two athletic and long points where both guys where going for it and making great defensive plays the fans broke out into standing ovations. Are all these people uneducated and their opinions irrelevant when compared to the negative nancy brigade we are confronted with on 606v2?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

Right socal should I kiss the arse of every player who by your measures are having great matches?

I have made my point and I don't have the patience nor the desire to argue the point I have made.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm

And also lk, if Murray never showed character and fight to come through that match today then what did he show? And respect? Has Lopez called him disrespectful or something?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

Lopez played very well CC. That is not in dispute. What is in dispute is a player ranked 4 in the world, who trains in America, deemed one of the fittest players on tour decides the hand the towel in with no real sign of injury and slumps quite dramatically in the match not just due to Lopez's high standard of play because Murray gave up on a lot of points he could've easily made.

Sorry CC I just don't like to support who is so willing to throw in the towel in front of a paying crowd for no reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:And also lk, if Murray never showed character and fight to come through that match today then what did he show? And respect? Has Lopez called him disrespectful or something?

He showed he is a talented actor.

Are you telling me CC that tanking because that's what it was is acceptable?

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:15 pm

No that isn't what I said, in general you seem to be buying this tennis now sucks rationale being peddled. I mean if that is your opinion that is fine. But I would like to know if this is a wider phenomenon or a form of neurosis confided to this online fish bowl. It seems to be the later. I am watching this match and people are giving standing Os for two non-americans in the 3rd round, the commentators are talking it up, I am enjoying the ratings and attendance numbers are strong enough and everyone seems to be running around speaking of doom and gloom continually.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:15 pm

No that isn't what I said, in general you seem to be buying this tennis now sucks rationale being peddled. I mean if that is your opinion that is fine. But I would like to know if this is a wider phenomenon or a form of neurosis confided to this online fish bowl. It seems to be the later. I am watching this match and people are giving standing Os for two non-americans in the 3rd round, the commentators are talking it up, I am enjoying the ratings and attendance numbers are strong enough and everyone seems to be running around speaking of doom and gloom continually.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm

How am I buying this tennis sucks?

Where have I said it sucks?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:And also lk, if Murray never showed character and fight to come through that match today then what did he show? And respect? Has Lopez called him disrespectful or something?

As I said that is your opinion and I disagree. Tanking? Now you are just being daft. Take it for what it is that he was toiling physically for some reason as he was. His movement was very poor by his high standards and his average first serve speed dropped like a stone. Why he was fatigued or struggling physically I don't know but the signs were clearly there that he was struggling. So no not a talented actor just a tennis player running himself into the ground in baking hot conditions.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

Only saw the first 2 and a bit sets, but am I correct in thinking (judging from this conversation) that Murray threw in his usual wincing and limping around the court when things weren't going his way nearer the end?

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

socal1976 wrote: I am watching this match and people are giving standing Os for two non-americans in the 3rd round, the commentators are talking it up, I am enjoying the ratings and attendance numbers are strong enough and everyone seems to be running around speaking of doom and gloom continually.

Spot on. It was a great match and the crowds loved it with the court being packed full.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:22 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

As I said that is your opinion and I disagree. Tanking? Now you are just being daft. Take it for what it is that he was toiling physically for some reason as he was. His movement was very poor by his high standards and his average first serve speed dropped like a stone. Why he was fatigued or struggling physically I don't know but the signs were clearly there that he was struggling. So no not a talented actor just a tennis player running himself into the ground in baking hot conditions.

CC seriously remove your lips from Murray's arse!

Murray in those first 2 sets was solid. I thought his composure in those 2 sets was brilliant. Breaks in the third. Looks quite comfortable and then decides 'ah f*ck it' I can't be arsed with this.

Like I said this is a guy regarded as one of the fittest guys on tour. Trains in America. So you tell me CC from a logical position how a guy who hasn't dropped a set in the tournament, had the luxury of not making the back end of Toronto or Cinncy is fried.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

I think a fish bowl mentality is developing with the fast court people on this site. I mean are the thousands of people jumping up and cheering throughout the match and cheering the players off stupid and ignorant of what tennis should be? I mean we have 24 5 set matches in this tournaments first two rounds and plenty of other great 4 set fights like this one. And yet all we hear is about boring and attritional tennis. That isn't what I am seeing and it isn't the mainstream opinion outside 606v2 despite how it seems to be the prevalent view here. We actually have people who do whole threads after epic 5 set fights where the fans and commentators are going crazy, and all these purists do is break down time between points and avg. number of shots per point, they can't tell if a match is great or not unless they look at the clock and analyze the shots per point ratio.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

Raonic has taken the first.

Been impressed with how he has improved as he has progressed through the tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

Socal a few people called for a bit more variety. You may/may not agree with them, that's your choice.

You're acting as if there has been some sort of rebellion Rolling Eyes

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

Sorry you need to resort to that level legendkillar....really. Where have I said Murray was magnificent/brilliant or anything today? If you think what I have said is what you say it is then I am sorry you are wrong.

As for saying 'F**k it' or even coming across in that way it is pure tosh as he ended up winning the match. Watch it again and you try and tell me his movement didn't go to pot and his average first serve speed didn't fall like a stone - smacks of fatigue to me.

Correct he is regarded as one of the fittest guys on tour and trains in USA but do you know Andy inside out about his build up here? Has he been able to do his fitness training as he did have an injury in recent weeks ence he missed those tournies so it is a far better bet to suggest his fitness levels have dipped in that time rather than your suggestion 'he tanked it' even though he went on to win. Shocked
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:32 pm

Blake in a bit of bother. Just been broken first game of the 2nd.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:35 pm

IMBL have you read groundhog tennis and all these years of these slow condition moaning threads? Have all the variety you want, like I said i support all of lydian and BB's proposals and I want them to bring back the old dodgey grass and then I want to see Raonic play isner at wimby. Watching those two try to return serves without luxis and with little faced racquets will be comedic. It will be like watching Wil E. coyote trying to catch the roadrunner, he just isn't fast enough.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:41 pm

And one day you'll realise that's a false choice.

No, on second thoughts I think you can't grasp that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:41 pm

Raonic totally stuffing poor Jimmy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:42 pm

As for saying 'F**k it' or even coming across in that way it is pure tosh as he ended up winning the match. Watch it again and you try and tell me his movement didn't go to pot and his average first serve speed didn't fall like a stone - smacks of fatigue to me.

Now that is utter nonsense. So your telling me that most of the players on tour would've reacted in that way to fatigue?

Craig there is no leg to stand on. His movement went to pot from 4-3 in the third. He stopped chasing. This affects Lopez too as he is probably concerned and even Petchey was first quoting injury and changed his mind when in the 4th at 2-1 and no sign of a trainer. So you see it plays on the mind of the opponent.

He started off aggressive in the 4th. Shortening points. Now why did he not do that at the back end of the 3rd? Like I said he would've been in the hutch in 3 sets.

His service speeds varied over the match. I mean jeez have you followed his matches. Against Bolgolomov his average first serve speed was 110mph given he can hit 130mph on the first. This is a guy who can average 120mph on first serve in a BO5. So it isn't a great surprise his serve speed is down.

David Ferrer has played 9 more matches than Murray this year and has spent more time on court too. Are you telling me that Ferrer would've given up the ghost if he hit the wall? Not likely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:43 pm

Jimmy has just been hit into submission here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm

Murray has to introduce some drama into his matches - it's in the small print at the bottom of the contract that the ATP hand out to the requisite sole British player in the top 100.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:49 pm

5-0 Raonic in the second. Blake looks a like a sitting duck. 5 winners in the match from Blake.

Needs a massive improvement if he is stay competitive in the match.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm

Murray will be praying he's on slow Ashe against Raonic.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next