The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander.

+2
red_stag
Biltong
6 posters

Go down

Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander. Empty Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander.

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 am

Thought I would just update your guys on CJ Stander who will soon join Munster for the HC.

He has played three matches so far and has been a livewire for the Bulls.

He has attmepted 46 tackles and made 42.
He has made 12 turnovers and conceded 2 turnovers
he has run 228 meters
He has made 2 linebreaks and 3 offloads and completed another 12 passes
He has arrived at the breakdown 34 times (first three arrivers)
He has scored 3 tries as well.

He has made some barnstorming runs over the past three weeks and looks in very good form, so Munster should find him rather usefull.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander. Empty Re: Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander.

Post by red_stag Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

Honestly Biltong I cannot wait. I think he is going to be an outstanding signing.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander. Empty Re: Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander.

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

Stag, me thinks he will be a good signing for Munster, he missed the first Bulls match vs Griquas, but since then he has looked really hungry and he puts in 80 minute performances.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:52 am

Might he put pressure on Heaslip for a RWC place? I certainly hope so....

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 am

Biltong, I don't know how well you follow Munster but he will fit in perfectly.

We have struggled in recent years due to a lack of ball carriers - I think this reached what was nearly a crisis point when David Wallace got injured and O'Connell was almost our only ball carrier.

Hopefully CJ Stander and James Downey (centre) will bring a lot of go-forward ball for our backs to thrive upon.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:54 am

BoyneRFC wrote:Might he put pressure on Heaslip for a RWC place? I certainly hope so....

He won't play for Ireland Boyne (though I suspect you may know that). He is only here for 2 years.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 am

He won't play for Ireland Boyne (though I suspect you may know that). He is only here for 2 years.
Munster must be looking forward to CJ Stander. Smiley-happy107
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:00 am

BoyneRFC wrote:Might he put pressure on Heaslip for a RWC place? I certainly hope so....

I think if he is good enough, he will be capped by SA. He is only putting off being capped because Munster's NIQs quota was full. In 2 years time a couple of places will have freed up and he will be able to take them.

Interesting that BJ Botha (whose contract is up at the end of this season) has been giving Level 4 Coaching courses for the IRFU. He is playing really well at the moment - hope he can get his contract extended for at least another year (and the IRFU might be more lenient on letting him stay if he is coaching as well).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

Sin É, have you been impressed by Sean Dougall. I think he had a very good game against Edinburgh and by all accounts did well in preseason.

He is playing down his peformance as a case of one swallow doesnt make a summer but he could be a great link man alongside the ball carrying Stander and the aggressive O'Mahony.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 am

red_stag wrote:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. So you are 100% sure he wont be offered an extension so, are you?

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:39 am

BoyneRFC wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. So you are 100% sure he wont be offered an extension so, are you?

Boyne Stander has already been notified by Heyneke Meyer that he is part of the Bok plans, so I am sure stander will plan to come back to SA, in time for the next RWC
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 am

red_stag wrote:Sin É, have you been impressed by Sean Dougall. I think he had a very good game against Edinburgh and by all accounts did well in preseason.

He is playing down his peformance as a case of one swallow doesnt make a summer but he could be a great link man alongside the ball carrying Stander and the aggressive O'Mahony.

I think Dougall could be a great signing. He really gets around as well and I know he gave away a penalty against edinburgh, but I liked the way he really got stuck in and turned up at every ruck - always seems to have been on someone's shoulder when a break was on. Good pace as well.

Comes across as having a great attitude (coming back from a big injury like he did).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 am

Sin É I was literally just thinking above all else thats what I notice. No matter who has the ball he nearly always seems to be the guy who is on his shoulder.

Im a big admirer of his attitude. Get trained in the acedemy then go off to England for solid game time and back to Ireland to make a name for himself.

Could be an inspired signing. Only 22 years old too.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 am

Biltong wrote:
BoyneRFC wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Boyne Stander has already been notified by Heyneke Meyer that he is part of the Bok plans, so I am sure stander will plan to come back to SA, in time for the next RWC

This works out well for Meyer having young players pick up European rugby at the start of their careers rather than at the end. I always thought that Jean de Villiers came to Munster to do that (as well as the money) in preparation for the rugby world cup.

I'd say Meyer is pretty happy that Stander's coach in Munster is a former Canterbury/Crusaders coach who put Rickie McCaw & Kieran Read through his hands among others.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:50 am

Sin é wrote:
Biltong wrote:
BoyneRFC wrote:
red_stag wrote:

This works out well for Meyer having young players pick up European rugby at the start of their careers rather than at the end. I always thought that Jean de Villiers came to Munster to do that (as well as the money) in preparation for the rugby world cup.

I'd say Meyer is pretty happy that Stander's coach in Munster is a former Canterbury/Crusaders coach who put Rickie McCaw & Kieran Read through his hands among others.

Yes, I think stander will gain a lot from playing there for two years, it would mean his physicality can improve and he should come out a lot smarter, he is only 22, so experience gained is key.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 pm

I hope he does play for SA, but I'd also like that if he is working out and wants to stay in Munster that he does and that it won't affect his chances of being selected for SA.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Very hard to get selected if you dont play in the home country.

Other than Pienaer has anyone played for Australia, NZ or SA in the currently 4 nations tournament who is not based at home?

For Ireland does anyone think a non Irish based player will get selected ? - I don't.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:01 pm

He'll get selected ok, because they will be worried that if they don't Ireland might.
It will all depend on how he develops and while he might not play in the Rugby Championship, he could get capped on European Tours and next World Cup.

If Tomas O'Leary gets back to his '09 form, he will get back into the Ireland squad - not great depth at scrumhalf at the moment.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 pm

The only thing I wonder with Stander as a signing is how he will cope with the weather up here. I'm sure he will be a great addition but a lot of SH forwards sometimes struggle with our winter season. Certanly wont be as many hard grounds as they are used to playing during Oct-Mar.

Anyway good luck to him...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down