The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 10

+21
LuvSports!
ryan86
luciusmann
bogbrush
Gerry SA
kemet
User 774433
CAS
skyeman
Tropicalfruiter
Josiah Maiestas
HM Murdock
lydian
time please
Turron
barrystar
laverfan
banbrotam
CaledonianCraig
sirfredperry
The Special Juan
25 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

US Open Day 10 - Page 5 Empty US Open Day 10

Post by The Special Juan Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Matches of note:

Bartoli v Sharapova (Bartoli leads 4-0, 15-30)
Ivanovic v Serena

Roddick v Del Potro
Murray v Cilic (on Ashe)
Federer v Berdych
Wawrinka v Djokovic

www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=subnav
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 10 - Page 5 Empty Re: US Open Day 10

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:35 am

Nore Staat wrote:
skyeman wrote:... Both semi's are before the ladies final and the order has not been set yet.
Normally they try to fix an approximate time for the ladies final. If this is the case then it is difficult to make a prediction except for Murray to win the slam he likely needs to beat the no1 and 2 in the world.

Anyway Murray is through to the semi-final and both Federer and Djokovic have to play Berdych and Del Potro respectively, to join Murray in the semis.

Yes, i have got all that, but the point still stands about the extra rest, there will not be much in it.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Berdych breaks back to 3-3 in the first. Fed not looking too sharp.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:38 pm

upset on the cards here Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Berdych wins the TB 7- 1, So many UE's in that 1st set from Fed. And Feds 1st serve % points won was in the low 50's. Not looking sharp at all. Gonna be a long night for Fed.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Fed gets broken again. Not as bad as Murray was earlier but not far off.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 pm

wow Roger just wow, it never gets old watching him do that. 3-1 0-40, almost lights out for the set and maybe the match. 3 first serves, and an incredible rally and then another first serve. 3-2. Just like that, even Berdych is smiling

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 pm

And Fed broken for the 2nd time to trail 5-2 in the 2nd. The master being given a master class tonight.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Wow, Fed gets one back to love 5-3.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Fed down 2 sets.Murray Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Just gets worse for Fed, broken again, 0-1 in the 3rd. Quite simply, being outplayed.

Not the Fed i know. Federer is beating himself.Who expected this.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:52 pm

He's not letting this go without a fight, the crowd are well on his side and he's showing them he wants to fight and they are loving it

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 pm

He sure his. Fed takes 5 straight games to take the 3rd 6-3.

Feds serve and FH a lot better and Berdych's serve went awol.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Fed 3-4 down on serve in the 4th but the UE's are returning

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:26 pm

And that is probably the match right there as Berdych really goes for it and breaks fed with an unbelievable shot for the 5-3 lead.

Berdych serving for the match.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Federer has not lost before the semi-finals for 11 years.

He has now.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm

skyeman wrote:Federer has not lost before the semi-finals for 11 years.

He has now.

It's tragic, sadly Fed just didn't show up until the middle of the second set and he was already a double break down so getting it down to one wasn't enough no matter hard he battled.

I think that unlike the last time he beat Fed in a slam, he won't get past Murray. My prediction is a Murray Vs Djokovic final, hopefully Murray can win it (and avenge Roger's defeat)!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Congrats Berdy.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Stunning performance from Berdych, I think its painfully clear Federer can't win consistantly outside of fast courts anymore. He just can't hold onto his serve as easily, under the roof at Wimbledon, fast courts in Madrid and fast cincinatti I never feel nervous about him holding. Aus Open, French and now the Open I never feel confident he will hold

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:35 pm

CAS wrote:Stunning performance from Berdych, I think its painfully clear Federer can't win consistantly outside of fast courts anymore. He just can't hold onto his serve as easily, under the roof at Wimbledon, fast courts in Madrid and fast cincinatti I never feel nervous about him holding. Aus Open, French and now the Open I never feel confident he will hold

I don't know about that. Fed could easily have won the first set, it was more an issue that Fed's serve just wasn't good and he didn't fully capitalize when he had the chance. Simple as that really. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions on the basis of this performance although it is surprising given he's normally so good @ the USO. Although as Wimbledon showed, even two quarter final appearances in a row doesn't mean he can't win the title again. Obviously the idea he can win more than a slam a year is clearly too far fetched now he's over 30.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:40 pm

I don't think he's won a title on a slow court since the AUS open 2010, Indian Wells was well documented as to being quicker this year. And I'm not saying he's incapable of winning, its just that he finds it much harder for sure. Look at his ace counts this tournament to other tournaments he has won. He struggled all round today but I think he did in stages at Wimbledon but his serve saved him, it couldn't today

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:42 pm

I feel a little sad that I stayed up for this match to see Fed play rather below par. Throughout the first two sets (after Berdych broke back in the first set) Fed just wasn't himself, now I'm sure other will draw outlandish conclusions but Federer just wasn't able to hit decent shots, not even routine ones, the commentators were aghast at how one of the all time greats just seemed clueless and despite the rally in the third set, he didn't take the opportunities in the 4th set (netted far too many opportunities to break down Berdych).

For some reason, I find a loss to Berdych worse simply because of his arrogance/smugness, he doesn't even try to hide it....I remember a friend of mine once tried to get Berdych's autograph and he refused.....even a loss to Djokovic isn't as bad!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:46 pm

CAS wrote:I don't think he's won a title on a slow court since the AUS open 2010, Indian Wells was well documented as to being quicker this year. And I'm not saying he's incapable of winning, its just that he finds it much harder for sure. Look at his ace counts this tournament to other tournaments he has won. He struggled all round today but I think he did in stages at Wimbledon but his serve saved him, it couldn't today

I presume you watched the match rather than looked at the stats of the match?

As I've mentioned in my other posts, missing routine shots has nothing to do with court speed but something else going on in the player's head or some other issue. He missed so many in the second half of the first set and throughout the second set that once he found himself 2 sets down, Berdych was too close to winning for Fed to win unless he produced a remarkable performance, which, as we seen, is increasingly difficult at 30+. It was difficult viewing and he netted so many shots in the 4th set that it seemed that only one result seemed likely but even the commentators were shocked at the number of routine shots he was missing. So his ace count and serve arn't the sole cause of this defeat. Something wasn't right, it was plain to see.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Murray vs. Berdych!!!

I think Berdych is probably Murray's worst opponent outside the top 3. It's a slam, what do you want?

Fed's UE stats in the 1st set are dreadful. It's funny how he came into the USO on the back of such a strong HC performance.

I wonder how the rest of the year will go for Fed. He'll really want the WTF and Basel as ever - Djoko has an excellent chance to go well ahead in the race although of coursed he'll be thinking of the here and now and nothing else.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Got to agree there. 40 unforced errors. Fed often reminds me of someone who looks disinterested whilst on court, but today i actually felt he was at times. Something was definitely not right.

But all credit to Berdych clap

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:28 pm

skyeman wrote:Got to agree there. 40 unforced errors. Fed often reminds me of someone who looks disinterested whilst on court, but today i actually felt he was at times. Something was definitely not right.

He's awful to watch when it's not going right - the contrast with the normal 'well-oiled machine' look that we've come to expect is invariably painful. His record this USO is w3 l1 - the W/O was nobody's fault, but that's the worst w/l record he's had at a slam since RG 2004.

Anyway, as a fan of Fed's I really feel relaxed about him - he's totally filled his boots now and more success and brilliant tennis is obviously a joy to see, but hardly a must.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Lucius thinking you are misunderstanding me, Federer was well off his game today that was why he lost not because of the court. What Im saying is, when he is playing like that on a fast court his serve always rescues him, when he has to hold he does. At Wimbledon there was a few occasions where I was thinking, he is striking the ball really poorly and looks finished, but he was ace his way out of it. Tonight I never felt like he would, and I never do outside of fast courts.

Tonight at 4-3 in the 4th, I barely watched the game because I sensed the break and sensed the error once Berdych would inevitably return his serve, Wimbledon under the roof I was always confident. He suits a fast court game, he used to be able to transition really well, I mean he is one of the greatest clay courters ever in my opinion. A classic example is the French Ope, he was being broken left right and centre. Match against Novak at Wimbledon, he was broken just once. I think at this stage of his career, they kind of come together, when he feels like he will easily hold he loosens up and plays the Federer way we all know. When he has to battle, every single point it much harder to produce beautiful tennis understandably, especially at 31 when he probably doesn't want to be in long rallies over and over, so he goes for too much and errors come.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:50 pm

For once I got a low odds prediction right

And wish I hadn't - I'd rather Murray be playing Fed

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm

It's no mystery. In the end, Fed can still play but he's not as good as he used to be and he has more days when he's awful. This was one of them. In particular, he now struggles to react to real pace, especially on returning serve, and guys like Berdych can hit him off. That was impossible a few years ago because he ate fast balls for breakfast, but while a fast court per se is good for hs attacking game, if the other guy hits really hard to finds it difficult to cope.

Last edited by bogbrush on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:58 pm

bogbrush wrote:In the end,Fed can still play but he's not as good as he used to be and he has more days when he's awful. This was one of them.

Didn't see it (had to get some sleep, some time!!) Was he bad and has Berdy finally arrived on a consistent basis

I'm now a worried Murray fan

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm

bogbrush wrote:In the end,Fed can still play but he's not as good as he used to be and he has more days when he's awful. This was one of them.
I said yesterday that you were being conservative about Fed's chances but looks like you judged it correctly!

Still early but this potentially makes the race to number 1 very close. I'd say if Novak makes the final, the advantage is with him. Anything less and it's still too close to call.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 pm

He was awful, lot of errors and he couldn't cope with big power. I wouldn't worry, Berdych is no different than ever, it's just that Federer hasn't got that ability to nullify big games any more.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
I said yesterday that you were being conservative about Fed's chances but looks like you judged it correctly!

Still early but this potentially makes the race to number 1 very close. I'd say if Novak makes the final, the advantage is with him. Anything less and it's still too close to call.
No, y/e is done, Djokovic takes it (unless he inexplicably fails to make the final). The only thing for Federer is to see if he can sneak 300.

I was pessimistic because I've seen this sort of game more and more for a few years now, where he just can't stay with a very big game. I not know if it's reaction time lengthening - that would be my guess actually - but Berdy is one of a few who can just hit him off. As for the u/e count, that's possibly due to overpressing because he knows he needs to, I don't know.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Getting to 20 may be tricky for Fed now. He can still nullify a big game, it's just not a guarantee like it was before. If Novak doesn't win then the points he loses are greater than what Fed loses from only making the quarters.

Murray all the way now.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:13 pm

bogbrush wrote:No, y/e is done, Djokovic takes it. The only thing for Federer is to see if he can sneak 300.
With 2500 points still available from indoor events, where I still see Fed as having the edge, I'm not ready to call it just yet!

Plus Novak has to get past DelPo.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:14 pm

My pessimism about the Berdych match was justified. Still, I've salvaged something from the wreck. I put £20 on Berdy to beat Fed at odds of 7/2. They seemed generous odds then and look even better now (Fed was a ridiculous 1/6 !)
Will Berdbrain get past Murray ? He showed his 2010 Wimbeldon win over Fed was no fluke by beating Djoko in the next round, only to succumb - somewhat tamely - to Rafa in the final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 pm

By the sounds of it, Fed was not playing well at all, but Berdych can be very hard to play when he is on and after playing like a muppet all year, he sounded as if it was all clicking very well this tournament, plus he was obviously really up for it. Well done to him, but agree with you lucius that he is not a very appealing character and I'd rather Murray had taken Fed out.

Berdych historically troubles Murray too, so I hope Andy looks a little more awake from the off than he did yesterday - I have to say I wouldn't be surprised to see Berdych in the final, but hope very much that I'm wrong.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm

So it's Berdych against Murray in the semi-final. A match up we discussed quite a bit a couple of weeks ago just before the draw.

On paper, you'd think that Berdych was the type of player Andy would have a good record against - the big power-hitters who lack a bit of mobility and can throw in lots of UEs if Andy is patient and manouvers him around the court. Certainly works against Tsonga and Del Potro, but Berdych leads the H2H 4-2 (admittedly with 2 of those victories being on clay), so there's clearly something in his game that causes Andy a lot of trouble. Indeed, I think Andy's chances are slightly weaker against Berdych than they would have been against Federer (after the Wimbledon / Olympics double header).

Oh, and as for Murray, has there ever been a player who can switch from abject to sublime form (or the reverse, as against Nadal at Wimbledon 11) so quickly within a match? Gasquet at Wimbledon a few years ago and now last nights match - you can just about single out the one shot that tunrned things around.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:and both Federer and Djokovic have to play Berdych and Del Potro respectively, to join Murray in the semis.

Who are more match hardened versions of Cilic - so it's feasible that they might drag on a long time
Right I am now rooting for Murray to break his grand slam duck. I think Murrays performance against Cilic has been a little underrated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Berdych was long due a good grand slam, I just don't like that he clearly doesn't try hard outside of some grand slams. Federer as usual when he plays Berd didn't stay on his own game terms, like he not only wants to beat Berd but do it with flair and power.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Well that was a big surprise. Thomas Berdych dumping Roger Federer out of the US Open at the quarter-final stage. Shocked

The way the match went though it was no surprise as Federer was leaking unforced errors all over the court whilst Berdych was very economical on the errors front. Berdych was also very strong mentally and wasn't fazed when Roger looked set for a comeback when he won the third set. Something was missing from Roger's game for some reason - his well-tuned mind looked to be elsewhere and apart from odd flashes he never really looked settled at any point. Berdych played great stuff and merited the win and was solid in all departments of his game and took his chance with both hands.

As for what this means for Murray well I know it makes me as nervous as hell for a number of reasons. Firstly, and for obvious reasons Berdych showed the quality he has and will now be as high as a kite confidence-wise after this win. Secondly, past results show that Berdych is not a good match-up for Andy and his big-hitting game causes him problems. Thirdly, I always feel nervous when Andy is portrayed as the favourite - that mantle doesn't rest easy with me and I don't think he is comfortable in that position either. Murray MUST hit the ground-running on Saturday and it is key that he wins the first set. If he can do that it will settle him and perhaps knock Berdych out of his stride and put some doubts in his mind. A first set dropped for Andy and those demons will return to wreak havoc in Andy's mind and in turn his game. If he plays to his strengths and cuts out any dips I will be much more hopeful.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm

I think it was the Fish effect frankly Roger got too much rest.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Berdych was long due a good grand slam, I just don't like that he clearly doesn't try hard outside of some grand slams. Federer as usual when he plays Berd didn't stay on his own game terms, like he not only wants to beat Berd but do it with flair and power.
I just should add my congratulations to Berdych. Berdych won because of Berdych not Federer. As Pete Sampras used to say - it's mano a mano out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Yeah Berdych played spectacularly but federer played like week old doody. Worst match he has played all summer, maybe worse than the olympic finals.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:37 pm

As said on the other thread, so with Federer playing cr@p Berdych just had to turn up I presume. Berdych isnt being given enough credit IMO, he played with a level of power that Federer struggled to cope with, we all know when Berdy is 'on' he can be unplayable at times and forces the other guy to go for too much.

What I thought was poor was the crowd. Applauding Tomas' double-faults, missed shots and 1st serves. I#m almost glad to see any player come through that. For me USO audience are 2nd worse behind RG crowd.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:48 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yeah Berdych played spectacularly but federer played like week old doody. Worst match he has played all summer, maybe worse than the olympic finals.
Wonder what you'll say if Berdych keeps this up and hammers Djokotvvat in the final..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:48 pm

lydian wrote:As said on the other thread, so with Federer playing cr@p Berdych just had to turn up I presume. Berdych isnt being given enough credit IMO, he played with a level of power that Federer struggled to cope with, we all know when Berdy is 'on' he can be unplayable at times and forces the other guy to go for too much.

What I thought was poor was the crowd. Applauding Tomas' double-faults, missed shots and 1st serves. I#m almost glad to see any player come through that. For me USO audience are 2nd worse behind RG crowd.

I would agree with that. Berdych was immense and perhaps Federer's lack of competitive matches in the tournament so far came back to bite him. As soon as Berdych made it clear he wasn't going to wilt and even bounced back win that fourth set that competitive edge Fed always generally has just wasn't there. Credit to Berdych though as he played some beautiful tennis.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:49 pm

he played with a level of power that Federer struggled to cope with
Delpo is more powerful than Berd and he copes fine with him, Fed just wasn't prepared to do a period of counter punching.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:50 pm

I got the two flipped. Paris I think is second in the biggest Awhole crowds on tour. You don't know New york sports fans. New yorkers in general think that the universe revolves around them kind of like the parisians. I hate the drunk yahoos in NY night matches who take glee in yelling out in the middle of service motion. They should drag that guy out and ban him from tennis events for life like the idiots who throw things onto soccer pitches and at players.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Yep CC, it did take Berdy playing very well and Federer slightly off his game for the win. Berdy is not the guy you want to play if you are having a slightly off night.

JM, Berdych takes the ball much earlier than Delpo and hits as hard - there are no harder FHs on tour that Tomas. He's also a more all-court player than Delpo. So with an earlier ball than Delpo he takes away time from Federer alot more, this is why Federer tends to shank more against Berdy than JMDP. However, Federer does struggle against the pace of Delpo for sure....RG 2009...RG2012 anyone...but Berdy asks him pace AND timing questions, and if Fed is not on top of his game his timing with that 90sqin frame is exposed.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Federer would have lost even to Cilic playing as he did. Looks like after his last USO win in 08 he is cursed to win again.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next