The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town?

4 posters

Go down

Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town? Empty Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town?

Post by Billy Shears Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Let's pretend it was the good old days, when being a champion was a champion. Granted, no-internets forums, but also, no alphabets, one champ-per division.

Let's pretend todays fighters are that of yester-year.

Who holds the belts?

Heavyweight - V. Klitchko

Light-Heavy - Ward

Middle - Martinez

Welter - Floyd

Light - Pac

Feather - Gamboa

Bantam - Donaire

Fly - Wongjongkam

Some excellent fighters have been left out here (Marquez, JuanMa, John, Froch...etc) but that's the beauty of it!

Who would you guys rate as your champions under the old-style system?

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town? Empty Re: Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town?

Post by oxring Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:24 pm

HW - V Klit
LHW - B-Hop (cos he'd have found some way of not losing the title)
MW - Serge
WW - Pac (Floyd couldn't retire and come back NOT fighting the new no1)
LW - Marquez
Agreed under that.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town? Empty Re: Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town?

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:25 pm

HW - Wlad
LH - Hopkins
MW - Martinez
WW - Pacquiao
LW - Marquez
FW - Juanma
BW - Donaire
Fly - Wonjongkam

I actually think Vitali beats Wlad, floyd beat pacquiao and gamboa beats juanma, but based on current form and achievement those would be my choices. Ward has done nothing to be ranked higher than Froch who is no1 SMW IMO, but neither would get in ahead if Hopkins at LHW based on achievement or experience (especially bearing in mind neither froch or ward have fought at 175lb).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Very true about Hopkins, actually, I think he might just be in there, still. I think this idea shows how damn hard it would be to be a true multi-weight champ, back then. I think a very small number of fighters throughout history could genuinely have achieved three or more.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:16 am

HW - Wlad (I think Vitali beats him but Wlad wins title while Vitali is retired and they refuse to fight after)

LH - Hopkins (Dont think he is the best between SM and LH but hasnt been beating and would of had title before main contenders were world level)

MW - Martinez

WW - Cotto (Doubt Pac would of made the jump under the old rules which would of had no catch weights or multiple titles couldnt see him wanting to go straight in against top guy who outweighed him by almost a stone in their previous fight and Floyd been too inactive)

LW - Paquiao (Couldnt see him going to Welter under old classes and 1 title rules and beat Marquez at LW)

FW - John (Had title before JuanMa and Gamboa came along and hasnt been beaten yet though I think Gamboa would be best of the 3)

BW - Donaire

Fly - Segura (would of had to compete their from the start and think has the beating of Wonjongkam given a few fights at Fly to adjust.)

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down