The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McIlroy Declares for Britain?

+39
MustPuttBetter
Doon the Water
Skerries
djlovesyou
golfermartin
Lairdy
LeinsterFan4life
lorus59
Tinmar
Diggers
TRUSSMAN66
Plunky
GunsGerms
beninho
hend085
Sin é
McLaren
Bob_the_Job
Rava
Skydriver
pedro
theslosty
barragan
George1507
Roller_Coaster
GPB
Thomond
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
super_realist
Gareth_NI
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
John Cregan
Hibbz
princedracula
SecretFly
SmithersJones
Gordy
43 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

McIlroy Declares for Britain? Empty McIlroy Declares for Britain?

Post by Gordy Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

Rory McIlroy has declared "I’ve always felt more British than Irish", "Maybe it is the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland". This seems like a pretty strong indication to me that McIlroy will represent Team GB at the Olympics in 4 years. I think its a smart move to declare his allegiance early and in good time rather than letting the media make a storm in a tea cup about the whole issue in 4 years time close to the games.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

McIlroy Declares for Britain? Empty Re: McIlroy Declares for Britain?

Post by SmithersJones Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:43 pm

Interview in the Mail. He's not going to risk telling them anything else this far out, is he? No doubt if he had they'd have found a provisional somewhere in his family tree and painted him a terrorist.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:53 pm

Few touching this one..... Wink It'll be a big one in the media. Incendiary.

Ok, I'll say something then:

He's made a bit of a storm in a tea cup about the whole issue himself now for some time - which I might put down to his youth if I'm being charitable.

His whole body language, his use of symbolism (or unwillingness to touch other symbolism Whistle ), he was always 'more British than Irish' in my eyes - he knew it and I knew it; and maybe he should have spoken about it all before now or should have been advised to speak about it all before now by his management/family.

It's a tad irritating though that he feels he can declare openly that he does himself finally feel "more British than Irish" and yet hope the fans he has amassed in Ireland (and of Irish decent in America) will just set aside their own personal feelings about his candour and say it doesn't matter to them. If it matters to him that he's British, then I suppose it'll matter to those Irish fans that he's not Irish.

Of course he can't help what he feels or what he is (UK citizen). He'll be proud to represent the country he identifies with at the Olympics. But Rory was always a British golfer to me - because, honestly, it's the only body language I've ever witnessed from him. He'll be happy it's finally out. The misguided sections of the Irish public who always thought he felt one of us on this island (his love of Irish rugby?) - well, not so happy for them. But they'll get over it... and him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

The only problem I have with all this story is that the interview was with the Daily Mail...

Anyway, here's the McIlroy/Horizon 'official open letter'...

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/245216699652132864/photo/1/large

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

It still amazes me that people are stupid enough to support, or not, a golfer on the basis of where they were born.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:16 pm

Hibbz wrote:It still amazes me that people are stupid enough to support, or not, a golfer on the basis of where they were born.

In fairness Hibbz, 99.9% of Scots will support Murray tonight..................doesn't mean they are "stupid"..................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:24 pm

John Cregan wrote:
Hibbz wrote:It still amazes me that people are stupid enough to support, or not, a golfer on the basis of where they were born.

In fairness Hibbz, 99.9% of Scots will support Murray tonight..................doesn't mean they are "stupid"..................

I'd be amazed if more than about 1 in 10 people in Scotland are even aware tennis exists. Besides which I was more suggesting it was not supporting McIlroy any more because he claims not to feel oirish that was particularly stupid.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

Hibbz,
Proud of that contribution??

Well done on your witty "put down" of the Scottish nation.....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

John Cregan wrote:Hibbz,
Proud of that contribution??

Well done on your witty "put down" of the Scottish nation.....................

Yeah it was nearly as witty as your "put down" of female golfers on another thread. Unfortunately I forgot to punctuate mine with a hilarious smilie.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

Let's hope 99% of GB&I are supporting Andy Murray tonight - will be a fantastic achievement if he can win. (Fantastic just reaching the final again of course.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

Sorry Kwini, I prefer Djokovic so I'd rather he won.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

Difficult not to like Djokovic, but he wouldn't miss winning tonight, surely?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

Really think Murray is one of the good guys, seems like a really nice fella and i think he deserves a slam.................can't see him beating Djokovic though, hope im wrong........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:54 pm

British, Irish, Swedish ... matters not to me.

Fun watching him ply his trade. He's a world beater and I expect him to only become more dominant.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Yeah, I like Murray off the court just find some of his mannerisms on court a bit much and Kwini I don't think Djokovic would be where he is if winning even a single point didn't mean so much to him.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:58 pm

Shotrock wrote:British, Irish, Swedish ... matters not to me.

Fun watching him ply his trade. He's a world beater and I expect him to only become more dominant.

Murray will thank you for those kind words, sir.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:40 pm

Criticism when constructive is fine, being a c0ck just for the sake of it is not.

The Scots are just as renowned for being "Tatty bog dwellers", FFS at school/college/uni you's are off for two weeks in early October for potato picking in yester-year.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:54 pm

I'm well aware how crappy Scotland is in most respects. I freely admit that, and would rather not be from here given the choice.

So if McIlroy has the chance to be part of being something bigger, more encompassing than a small country famous for nothing but bickering children and full of political pettiness, why wouldn't he?

Good for him. Sensible lad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:58 pm

Oh, who cares?

Seems that McIlroy hasn't made up his mind yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/19552073

I find McIlroy occasionally irritating but he can declare for Eire or the U.K. - it's entirely up to him.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

SecretFly wrote:
His whole body language, his use of symbolism (or unwillingness to touch other symbolism Whistle ), he was always 'more British than Irish' in my eyes - he knew it and I knew it;

ok so super likes to chuck in some controversial comments. But seriously secretfly, would you care to explain how you can identify his British body language? Sounds absurd to me.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:04 pm

John Cregan wrote:Secret,

This is where SR makes provocative, crass comments, hopes someone takes offence and then proceeds to tell us not to overreact...................

Don't understand the "sunglasses" thing??

I was referring to that colossal bum Bono who wears sunglasses despite living in the worlds least sunny country.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

....I too found the body language comment rather bizarre.

FWIW I'm not bothered who McIlroy declares for, its a no win situation for him as hes going to put one side of the irish divides nose out of joint regardless.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:16 pm

super_realist wrote:
John Cregan wrote:Secret,

This is where SR makes provocative, crass comments, hopes someone takes offence and then proceeds to tell us not to overreact...................

Don't understand the "sunglasses" thing??

I was referring to that colossal bum Bono who wears sunglasses despite living in the worlds least sunny country.

He wears sunglasses because he lives in his hypocritical tax haven homes in France, New York, California etc, etc etc. Smile He's one of the fortunate few who don't have to live in Spud country because he has tax payers money to furnish some pretty plush penthouses and such. Wise bum.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

Well I'm obviously gutted it's disheartening too and this will be unpopular I wonder if he should remain a member of the GUI if that's the case.

Will support him no matter what though as a I like him as a golfer and B no matter what he Brits tell us he is one of our own! OK

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

As a non Brit, I am really confused why Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland all compete under one flag.

I watched most of the parade of nations a few weeks back and Hong Kong had its own team. Not under the China flag.

Puerto Rico competed under its own flag as well.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:33 pm

In the world curling championships (every year), Scotland competes as such. In the Olympics, the Scottish curling team competed as GB.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:43 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
His whole body language, his use of symbolism (or unwillingness to touch other symbolism Whistle ), he was always 'more British than Irish' in my eyes - he knew it and I knew it;

ok so super likes to chuck in some controversial comments. But seriously secretfly, would you care to explain how you can identify his British body language? Sounds absurd to me.

Certainly, raycastle, I'll explain this body language thing that seems to confuse so many of you.

Firstly, do we all know what the term actually means? It doesn't in any way refer to someone 'acting' British or a 'British body language' - not my accusation. Being British is not a crime and I don't accuse people of acting British as though it were.

The term body language refers to subconscious actions in eyes and body movements and even in words spoken that can intimate what the person is thinking. Police use it when questioning suspects. It's something that we all do, not just British people. You ask someone a question and by their body language you know they are hiding something, holding back on something, uncomfortable with the topic etc, etc - it has nothing to do with 'acting British' Smile

So, in the case of Rory, he's more than hinted before in words and in uneasy mannerisms when asked about the topic of Irish or British that his preference is British. He's already said it before directly, he's already said he'd love to be in the same team as Tom Daley, he's already brushed an offensive Irish flag off his shoulder. He's 'spoken' many times before in his actions and words that his preference is British.

That's body language, looking at how people react when the topic comes up... and that's all I'm saying - that his preferences were clear even before his declaration. No crime committed by him and certainly none committed by me in saying I've known his preference ages ago because of how he acts when the issue arises.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

His call I believe. What nationality is his missus? Danish? Marry her and play for Denmark! Still eligible for Europe in the Ryder cup. Annoys the English that want a major winner, annoys the Irish that want to annoy the English and entertains the rest of us!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

I will support the guy no matter what, just disappointing. Well the English can continue sulking, will be waiting for a while for a major winner I think.......

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

GPB wrote:As a non Brit, I am really confused why Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland all compete under one flag.

I watched most of the parade of nations a few weeks back and Hong Kong had its own team. Not under the China flag.

Who would you expect Puerto Rico to be part of? Reminds me of an American trying to rebuke Europeans fro supporting Scandinavians as if they weren't part of Europe.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:52 pm

Thomond wrote:Well I'm obviously gutted it's disheartening too and this will be unpopular I wonder if he should remain a member of the GUI if that's the case.

Will support him no matter what though as a I like him as a golfer and B no matter what he Brits tell us he is one of our own! OK

Didn't realise that you had to be Irish to hold GUI membership? I wonder if its the same in Scotland Rolling Eyes

It's funny that someone from the South has a reaction ala the above when you've been laughing at us in the North for years for raping us of our young talented footballers, given both stories have striking similarities.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:56 pm

GPB wrote:As a non Brit, I am really confused why Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland all compete under one flag.

Because Scotland, England, wales and northern Ireland aren't countries as defined by the UN. They ceased to be countries in 1707, becoming first great Britain and the united kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland in the 1920s.

Hong Kong was a separate entity when the modern Olympics began, and presumably everyone is still happy for it to be recognised as a separate entity.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

Gareth_NI wrote:
Thomond wrote:Well I'm obviously gutted it's disheartening too and this will be unpopular I wonder if he should remain a member of the GUI if that's the case.

Didn't realise that you had to be Irish to hold GUI membership? I wonder if its the same in Scotland Rolling Eyes

It's funny that someone from the South has a reaction ala the above when you've been laughing at us in the North for years for raping us of our young talented footballers, given both stories have striking similarities.

Laughing at the North what the heck are you talking about? As for the soccer thing, do I agree with it? No I don't but at the end of the day it's the lads choice to decide who they play for some as Rory's is. GUI thing may have been wrong or harsh but I wonder should he compete on the behalf of the GUI if he doesn't want to do it in 4 years. As I said I will back Rory no matter what, like him as a golfer and he is from the island of Ireland so one of our own

Not many see it as North v South anymore I don't think at least in my experience, most Southerners will support NI golfers, Sport stars or anything like that. I was in Cork City centre suring the Olympics standing outside a tv shop, when the GB rowers from NI came on. They went on to win gold and everyone started cheering. Ireland has come along way, this doesn't matter too much I think, I will say I'm a bit disappointed by the decision but sure I will support the guy anyway

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm

super_realist wrote:

Who would you expect Puerto Rico to be part of? Reminds me of an American trying to rebuke Europeans fro supporting Scandinavians as if they weren't part of Europe.

USA, Puerto Rico is a unincorporated territory. It is protected under the US flag and has been considered for statehood.

IMO, it is much less of separate country than Scotland and England.

====

Which knowledgeable American were seriously saying that Scandinavia was not part of Europe

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm

George1507 wrote:
Because Scotland, England, wales and northern Ireland aren't countries as defined by the UN. They ceased to be countries in 1707, becoming first great Britain and the united kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland in the 1920s.

Hong Kong was a separate entity when the modern Olympics began, and presumably everyone is still happy for it to be recognised as a separate entity.

In what universe does the UN define Puerto Rico as a country?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

bit presumptuous of rory to assume he'll be first choice for gb or Ireland in 4 years time..
a lot can happen in 4 years! he could do a tw for example.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

Not 'were' gbp, 'was'. Are you from Puerto Rico? It's more of a countryman Scotland, NI more Wales.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm

It's a puzzling one.
McIlroy is from a Catholic family (nationalist/Irish) who lived in a mainly Protestant town (unionist/British). This may not mean much but what I thought what might subconsciously affect him is the murder of his uncle by a loyalist (Brit) paramilitary group.
To be honest he looks more concerned about how to publicise the decision, rather than what the decision will actually be.
Personally, I'd rather he represented Ireland, but it won't swing my support for him - and I know you Brits are rather proud of your sporting heritage but when you think about we're not too bad either considering England is about 9 times the size of us ie. Golf (4 major winners), rugby (the best teams in Europe, national team in a bit of a muddle though), tennis (have higher ranked players than any English), GAA Smile, cricket (won the most recent match Wink, football (won the most recent match Wink
Not bad for a pack of spuds.
Apologies for the off-topic patriotic outburst.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm

Other scenarios none of you have considered:

If Rory marries Wozzy he'll take Danish citizenship.
If Rory stays stateside he'll take US citizenship.

And so?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

Just read a little background on Puerto Rico now that it's come up (education never stops!) - and it's interesting that although Puerto Rico's population are designated US citizens, and US Congress legislates there, they can't vote for the US President. Strange that real citizens of a country can't vote to elect that country's leader?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm

pedro wrote:Other scenarios none of you have considered:

If Rory marries Wozzy he'll take Danish citizenship.
If Rory stays stateside he'll take US citizenship.

And so?
................so............if Usain Bolt is kidnapped and kept in a bunker in Ireland for the next four years, he'll be forced to take Irish citizenship.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:43 pm

The Daily Mail are liars, it would seem - pretty clear response from the man himself (or his management...?).

http://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/245216699652132864/photo/1/large

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm

barragan wrote:bit presumptuous of rory to assume he'll be first choice for gb or Ireland in 4 years time..
a lot can happen in 4 years! he could do a tw for example.

Where in any of this has Rory assumed anything.
I think his open letter is quite clear. It's a decision he hasn't made and would obviously prefer not to have to make. If and when he does I hope people respect it and let him do what he does best, play Golf.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:57 am

If rugby became part of the Olympics i would safely assume that our NI players would play with Ireland rather than GB...................it would be the natural thing for them seeing as Rugby is a 32 county game in Ireland.......

Should Rory decide to do the opposite.............golf is a 32 county game as well, then this would make a big statement.........................

Whatever decision he makes, good luck to him, Olympic Golf not something i am interested in anyway.........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

John Cregan wrote:If rugby became part of the Olympics i would safely assume that our NI players would play with Ireland rather than GB...................it would be the natural thing for them seeing as Rugby is a 32 county game in Ireland.......

Should Rory decide to do the opposite.............golf is a 32 county game as well, then this would make a big statement.........................

Whatever decision he makes, good luck to him, Olympic Golf not something i am interested in anyway.........................
Big statement? Only in the minds of people obsessed with making it so.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:13 am

super_realist wrote:Can't blame him, who'd want to be Irish?

Reaching new heights in intelligent discourse - are you really that lonely up in Aberdeen that you need to play the troll? This is lacking your usual wit and keen turn of phrase - I'm disappointed in you.

I find it hugely entertaining that 2 pages on this board were dedicated to debating a non-story that appeared in that paragon of independence and journalistic integrity - The Daily Mail. Doh

My issue is more the format: "The proposed Olympic competition for both men and women is a 72-hole individual stroke play tournament, with the lowest score earning the gold medal. In case of a tie for either first, second or third place, a three-hole playoff will determine the medal winner(s)."

I'd have preferred to see something a bit different or more innovative used for this - I'm not sure this format will do a lot for the non-golf fans.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:17 am

Bob, it's a legitimate question. Given the feel good factor of the Olympics, Paralympics, US Open etc and what is has done in GB (&NI) , why would you choose to represent a country that is anonymous on the sporting stage if you had the chance?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:37 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:

I find it hugely entertaining that 2 pages on this board were dedicated to debating a non-story that appeared in that paragon of independence and journalistic integrity - The Daily Mail. Doh

My issue is more the format: "The proposed Olympic competition for both men and women is a 72-hole individual stroke play tournament, with the lowest score earning the gold medal. In case of a tie for either first, second or third place, a three-hole playoff will determine the medal winner(s)."

I'd have preferred to see something a bit different or more innovative used for this - I'm not sure this format will do a lot for the non-golf fans.

Well, as long as it's entertaining, that's half the battle won.

As regards the Daily Mail - well someone felt it a paragon of something worth talking to, and of course that someone was Rory himself, who gave the interview - I assume without the threat of having his legs broken if he didn't. So Rory doesn't agree with you on that one. He gave the interview and said what he said in it - he knew it would be printed, therefore he knew it would be a story. That he backtracked is down to second thoughts for the time being. "Let's pretend I didn't say that until I decide how best to more Presidentially word it at a future date".

As regards problems you have with the format............................ hmmm, I'll leave you to that 'entertainment'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:54 am

super_realist wrote:Bob, it's a legitimate question. Given the feel good factor of the Olympics, Paralympics, US Open etc and what is has done in GB (&NI) , why would you choose to represent a country that is anonymous on the sporting stage if you had the chance?

Well...

1. Read his open letter - there is a sense of "paying back" the GUI for their support
2. It's 4 years away - is that feel good still going to be around?
3. If he wants to win gold, does it matter what country he plays for? See my comment about format - this is just going to be another 72 hole stroke comp - he doesn't need national support to compete in one of those.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:56 am

I don't really care who he represents, Golf shouldn't be in the Olympics really and apart from the Ryder Cup you aren't representing a nation anyway.

However given the chance would you rather be part of a team that is at the forefront or one in the international wilderness. Big fish small pond.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next