The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread - TEAMS ANNOUNCED

+13
thebluesmancometh
Artful_Dodger
Seagultaf
LordDowlais
jeff stones dad
Morgannwg
gowales
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
tatterd
Kingshu
ScarletSpiderman
Smirnoffpriest
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Connacht vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread - TEAMS ANNOUNCED Empty Connacht vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread - TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:36 pm

Connacht Rugby v Scarlets Saturday 15th September 2012, KO 15:00
The Sportsground, Galway
Scarlets 11 wins v Connacht 7 wins

Thought I'd get this thread started a bit earlier to gear up some enthusiasm, I'll add team news when it's announced but would expect something similar to last weeks, at least in the backs and think it could look something like the below - Rees and Timani in to give more grunt and experience, Josh in for the same, but also I'd like him in as he should give away less pens than Edwards and except for his handling showed up quite well against Leinster (I felt he got pinged very unfairly a few times).

Here are the teams - I was very wrong with the Scarlets team I have to say.

Connacht: 15 Gavin Duffy (c), 14 Tiernan O'Halloran, 13 Eoin Griffin, 12 Dave McSharry, 11 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 10 Miah Nikora, 9 Kieran Marmion, 8 Eoin McKeon, 7 Willie Faloon, 6 Andrew Browne, 5 Mike McCarthy, 4 Michael Swift, 3 Nathan White, 2 Ethienne Reynecke, 1 Brett Wilkinson.
Replacements: 16 Adrian Flavin, 17 Dennis Buckley, 18 Rodney Ah You, 19 David Gannon, 20 Johnny O'Connor, 21 Dave Moore, 22 Matthew Jarvis, 23 Robbie Henshaw.

Scarlets: 15 Jordan Williams, 14 George North, 13 Jonathan Davies (c), 12 Scott Williams, 11 Nick Reynolds 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Gareth Davies, 8 Kieran Murphy. 7 Johnathan Edwards, 6 Josh Turnbull, 5 Richard Kelly, 4 Sione Timani, 3 Samson Lee, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Phil John.
Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Peter Edwards, 18 Deacon Manu, 19 Jake Ball, 20 Rob McCusker, 21 Aled Davies, 22 Aled Thomas, 23 Gareth Maule.

Date: Saturday, September 15
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Venue: The Sportsground, Galway
Referee: Neil Paterson (Scotland)
Assistant referees: Johnny Lacey (Ireland), John Carvill (Ireland)
Television match official: Dermot Moloney (Ireland)
Assessor: Michael Carroll (Ireland)

Last edited by Smirnoffpriest on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Connacht vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread - TEAMS ANNOUNCED Empty Re: Connacht vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread - TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:42 pm

I think we need to throw our strongest side out there to be sure that we don't slip up. So i would not argue with the side you have suggeted, with the exception of Ken starting instead of Smiler.

I think I would also be tempted to be a bit experimental with the bench, probably. Maybe looking something like Rees, P Edwards, S Lee, D Thomas, M Gilbert, G Davies, J Williams, G Maule/S Williams.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Connacht vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread - TEAMS ANNOUNCED Empty Re: Connacht vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread - TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:47 pm

Interesting preview on the Rabo website

"Connacht gained a first win of the new RaboDirect PRO12 season on Friday when they visited Zebre and triumphed 30-17. Connacht's only win in their last seven matches against Welsh regions was 27-19 against the Dragons at Rodney Parade on 30 March 2012.

Scarlets top the PRO12 table for the first time since round three in season 2008/09 following their successive wins over Leinster and Glasgow. The Welshmen have won back to back away games but have not won three in a row on the road in the tournament since 2006/07.

The last six clashes between the two sides have all been won by the home side on the day, whilst Scarlets most recent victory at the Sportsground came on 9 January 2009.

At Sportsground, 3pm.
Referee: Neil Paterson (SRU, 43rd competition game)
Assistant Referees: John Lacey, John Carvill (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Gordon Black (IRFU)
TMO: Dermot Moloney (IRFU)
Live on TG4"

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I think we need to throw our strongest side out there to be sure that we don't slip up. So i would not argue with the side you have suggeted, with the exception of Ken starting instead of Smiler.

I think I would also be tempted to be a bit experimental with the bench, probably. Maybe looking something like Rees, P Edwards, S Lee, D Thomas, M Gilbert, G Davies, J Williams, G Maule/S Williams.

I wouldn't argue except that Mat Gilbert has been let go, so prehaps Murphy instead, and I'd have Rob Evans on the bench rather than 2 THs - I like the thought of bringing Jordan Williams in but is a bit harsh on Aled Thomas (so maybe I am arguing a bit! Very Happy)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:59 pm

Priest - I meant Mark Gilbert a young up and coming lock, n'ah I got my names mixed up Doh I was thinking more about having Jordan on the bench to cover fullback and bring Liam off (or possibly take George off and switch Liam to the wing), in order keep them fresh for the Ospreys. Priestland needs as much game time as possible right now. Also two tightheads so that if we need to change because we are lloking poor Pete the meat can come on and stabilise the scrum, but if we are winning samson can come on instead.

Reading that pre-match write up things look pretty poor for the Scarlets since '03.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

Best be careful Scarlets, Connacht will have all their internationals back for this one. Very Happy

seriously though their team for Zebre was
G Duffy (capt); T O'Halloran, E Griffin, M Fifita, F Vainikolo; M Nikora, K Marmion; D Buckley, E Reynecke, R Loughney; M Swift, M McCarthy; J Muldoon, J O'Connor, G Naoupu.

Replacements: A Flavin, R Ah You, N White, D Gannon, W Faloon, F Murphy, M Jarvis, R Henshaw

only change from Cardiff game was on the bench, White for Bealham and Murphy for Moore

So I expect to see the same team, with only Parks coming in if hes fit (when is he ment to be fit again?)

In that squad there are some really good players, Galway was always a tough place to go, but now its tough and with talented players.

I actually think Connacht will sneak this one. Scarlets are the best team they will have played yet this season, but they are well capable of sneaking a close home win.

Depends on the Scarlets team that they send over

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:21 pm

Kingshu wrote:....I actually think Connacht will sneak this one. Scarlets are the best team they will have played yet this season, but they are well capable of sneaking a close home win.

Depends on the Scarlets team that they send over

Yeah that is why I really think we need to throw out the best team we have, to try and save ourselves any blushes.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Priest - I meant Mark Gilbert a young up and coming lock, n'ah I got my names mixed up Doh I was thinking more about having Jordan on the bench to cover fullback and bring Liam off (or possibly take George off and switch Liam to the wing), in order keep them fresh for the Ospreys. Priestland needs as much game time as possible right now. Also two tightheads so that if we need to change because we are lloking poor Pete the meat can come on and stabilise the scrum, but if we are winning samson can come on instead.

Reading that pre-match write up things look pretty poor for the Scarlets since '03.

Yeah it would be good to see Jordan on at FB for Liam/North, I've not heard of Mark Gilbert I have to say, do you think he'd get above Ball, Rawling and Timani/Kelly for the match?

I see what you mean about the props, but a bit of a risk if both Manu and Rhodri are tiring/not doing well.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:25 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Priest - I meant Mark Gilbert a young up and coming lock, n'ah I got my names mixed up Doh I was thinking more about having Jordan on the bench to cover fullback and bring Liam off (or possibly take George off and switch Liam to the wing), in order keep them fresh for the Ospreys. Priestland needs as much game time as possible right now. Also two tightheads so that if we need to change because we are lloking poor Pete the meat can come on and stabilise the scrum, but if we are winning samson can come on instead.

Yeah it would be good to see Jordan on at FB for Liam/North, I've not heard of Mark Gilbert I have to say, do you think he'd get above Ball, Rawling and Timani/Kelly for the match?

I see what you mean about the props, but a bit of a risk if both Manu and Rhodri are tiring/not doing well.

Priest i was pulling your leg, no such player (to my knowledge). I meant Murphy.

As for the props, I think we had Lee and Pete on the bench against Leinster.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

Ahh I see, sorry bit slow today (and yesterday where I got Andy Townsend and Gregor Townsend mixed up...)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

completely agree you've got to send your best team out for this one boys, its a very difficult place to go, but Scarlets are flying the Welsh flag so far in the Rabo so good luck to you Ale

On a pessimistic note - ref is Neil Paterson picard

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:28 pm

Not sure about the logic behind the two tightheads, Spiderman Wink

Stick with the first team, bar none. As you've said, Priestland needs to play himself back into form before the AIs start. We've typically struggled against Connacht, especially away, and can see this being no different, despite it still being Summer. Good tactical kicking from Priestland and Liam, and the same chances:tries ratio as in Glasgow and we should win. Would be nice to think we'll go there and score a few tries and get the BP, but in reality I'd settle for a 9-3 win if conditions are against us.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

miaow wrote:Not sure about the logic behind the two tightheads, Spiderman Wink

Stick with the first team, bar none. As you've said, Priestland needs to play himself back into form before the AIs start. We've typically struggled against Connacht, especially away, and can see this being no different, despite it still being Summer. Good tactical kicking from Priestland and Liam, and the same chances:tries ratio as in Glasgow and we should win. Would be nice to think we'll go there and score a few tries and get the BP, but in reality I'd settle for a 9-3 win if conditions are against us.

The more I think of it the less logic it makes. We did have both Peter Edwards and Samson Lee on the bench against Leinster, and brought them both on, but at different times. Like I said my theory was Edwards if we are struggling, and Lee if we are dominating. But you and Smirnoff are right that would put Manu/Jones under huge pressure to continue the full game.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:38 pm

Always a tough one to go to Connacht and get a win, but likewise its not easy to win at Scotstown in Glasgow either and they managed that quite successfully.

As I have said before, despite the confidence that some of the Scarlets fans lack, this team has some fantastic players and they should see Scarlets through Connacht.

A win would be a good result, a bonus point would be an excellent won.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:25 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
miaow wrote:Not sure about the logic behind the two tightheads, Spiderman Wink

The more I think of it the less logic it makes. We did have both Peter Edwards and Samson Lee on the bench against Leinster, and brought them both on, but at different times. Like I said my theory was Edwards if we are struggling, and Lee if we are dominating. But you and Smirnoff are right that would put Manu/Jones under huge pressure to continue the full game.

As far as I know we had Phil John and Samson Lee on the bench for both the Leinster and Glasgow games

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:14 pm

Maesteg, I don't think we're dismissing the talent in the side. Connacht are better than 3-4 seasons ago, but, even away from home, we should win. But could/should/have are often meaningless in sport. Without becoming too cliched, a game in the West of Ireland against a dogged side, against our, perhaps, flimsy set piece, has always made this a hard game, and they've got a good record against us: without looking this up, I think it was the season before last they did the double on us?

To still potentially be top of the table with 3 from 3 going into the Ospreys game would be great.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

It would be a hell of a start and possibly the opposite to the form we'll go in to that game with mate...

Apparently the Ospreys backline still haven't realised that the hand soap in the changing room is a teflon based product...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:34 pm

I wouldn't mock the Ospreys' start too loudly, don't want them losing another game and unleashing a hell of a backlash at PYS on the 21st.

That said, it does seem that, based purely on their interviews, some of the players might have been congratulating themselves too much for their form in the run in (which admittedly pretty impressive) and just assuming they'd carry on in the same vein five months later. How they threw that Ulster game was unbelievable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

Samson Lee was on the bench for the Leinster match, Pete Edwards was on the bench for the Glasgow match.

With regards to connacht, this is the first time in seasons where we are playing them where we have all our internationals available. I would rest a couple of our players but not many, this is our best chance in years to get an away win out there and 3 from 3 would just be a dream start to this season.

Connacht away is a ridiculously tough fixture, we're going to have to step up a gear from the Glasgow match if we've a hope of winning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

Yup it would be an invaluable additional 4 points if we can win out there - it'll also be a good yard stick of how good our locks are as well.

Does anyone know how us Wales/UK bound fans can watch it or access TG4

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:49 pm

Not sure if we can access TG4 online from here or not.

Might have to watch it, ya know, the other way.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:57 pm

damn, my laptops not modern enough to handle 'other' ways... Sad

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

I'm out at a friends birthday lunch so I'm going to be missing it to Sad going to have to get up dates from the SF site I'm a thinking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:09 pm

I'd make some tweaks to the Scarlets side of the first two weekends personally. No, not ring the changes, just rotate a couple of players for the sake of dishing out some gametime to those who may deserve it.

Say, start Kieran Murphy at 8 (is usually great off the bench so has probably earned it) with McCusker shifting to blindside and either Shingler or Turnbull on the bench for 2nd half impact.

Could also risk giving Lee a start and taking him off after 50-60 mins. I've been waiting to see what he adds to the Scarlets' scrum ever since his exploits in the JWC.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:14 pm

I think it's too soon to start Lee straight off, especially against a physical side like Connacht away from home on a bitter Irish west coast!

I can't see Easterby moving his captain, especially when he's trying to mould him into an 8.
And Turnbull or Shingler don't really need the rest either, though 1 could lose his place to Murphy, I can't see it.

I would like to see Jordan Williams given a go, but then where do you slot him in? Do you mess up an on form back 3, or a good centre partnership?

I'd like to see Maule and Timani in though

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

Probably right on Lee, twas just a suggestion. Just intrigued to see how the Scarlets' scrum fares with him at tighthead as from what I've seen and reports I've heard he's a real beast of a scrummager.

I've been enjoying Murphy's start to life at PYS which is why I think it'd only be fair to give him a start eventually. Be gutting if he doesn't get at least a couple this season. At the same time I'm wary of any position, including those of the back row, becoming a foregone conclusion even if any of the regulars were to lose form. Which is why I think it's a good idea to keep the other contenders fresh with gametime.

Maule and Timani would deserve a run, agreed.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:43 pm

Has Lee been getting game time for Llanelli RFC?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:37 pm

Not as far as I know as he came on against Glasgow(?) from the bench, but didn't play the other game (I assume he was in contention for the bench though).

There have been very good reports about Lee (and Evans) but that was in the Prem (Quins I think) and the U20s WC, it's a big difference to come straight up to starting in the Pro12 especially without any LV cup in between - I imagine that Easterby will keep alternating him on the bench with Peter Edwards and then during the AIs, or after he's started the LV cup games, he will then give him starting games in the Rabo.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

I would like to see Jordan Williams given a go, but then where do you slot him in? Do you mess up an on form back 3, or a good centre partnership?

Any chance you might loan him to the Ospreys if Biggar does Bugger off?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Any chance you might loan him to the Ospreys if Biggar does Bugger off?

The Ospreys can bugger off with Biggar if they want Jordan Laugh

I'm hoping he gets a few shots at 10 when Priestland is away

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

I was hoping Lee would start getting more game time now, why not against Connacht? Not exactly known for their presence in the scrum. Edwards and Manu are around average and not very able scrummagers. Manu provides good cover though, he's probably more decent that average, just not in the scrums. Lee already looks better than both. Rob Evans is one with great potential, I'm sure the Blues would love him on their books.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:35 pm

Manu is pretty good, just not amazing - it's crazy to suggest that a green 18 year old who has never started a professional game is better than a seasoned international. Not sure how you can say he looks better than both without actually playing more than 20mins.

He will get game time, but why would you throw him in the deep end in what promises to be a tough game when you can ease him in and develop him properly? Same goes for Evans as well, who I'm looking forward to seeing deputy for Rhodri Jones

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

"..but why would you throw him in the deep end in what promises to be a tough game when you can ease him in and develop him properly?"

Because this is how we do it in Wales.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:01 pm

I coached Samson at Under 16's County level. Believe me he is one hard cookie. He needs to get some regional game time so 20 mins at the end of a Connacht game or at LV Cup will do him nothing but good.

I predict he will be a Scarlets regular in 2 to 3 seasons time.

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:06 pm

Scarlets wish a very happy birthday to Delme Thomas, one of Scarlets' greats, as he celebrates a very special birthday today ahead of the 40th anniversary of the historic 9-3 victory against New Zealand in 1972.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Manu is pretty good, just not amazing - it's crazy to suggest that a green 18 year old who has never started a professional game is better than a seasoned international. Not sure how you can say he looks better than both without actually playing more than 20mins.

He will get game time, but why would you throw him in the deep end in what promises to be a tough game when you can ease him in and develop him properly? Same goes for Evans as well, who I'm looking forward to seeing deputy for Rhodri Jones

Think Rhodri Jones is a little overhyped tbh. Every time I speak negatively about a Welsh player I'm hoping to be proven wrong but I have yet to see much from him that justifies some people's high opinions. His scrummaging looked average, maybe semi-decent at best against a second string Leinster front row and it's only down to lack of depth at tighthead that he's been converted and has a Welsh cap to his name already. I personally don't recall seeing anything that eye-catching from Jones, be it in the scrum or the loose.

Think it would've been more apt to say that Lee looks like he may have the potential to be better than Manu, not of course that he looks better than him already. No disrespect to Manu, he's been a loyal servant to the Scarlets and as time has gone by has grown more seasoned and solid, I used to think of him as something of a penalty machine. But if Connacht aren't ideal first pickings for someone like Lee, then who is? I don't see them as "deep end" opposition myself. They're not that tough but definitely aren't particularly easy to take down either.

The best strategy imo for developing youngsters with potential is giving them a baptism of some toughness without putting them in over their head. You don't want to leave them on hold for the simplest of opposition and bring them up devoid of experience of facing testing opposition.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:34 pm

Knowsit - at the moment the Dragons, and Blues packs seem rather weak, as does the Ospreys. So I would say that maybe as good if not better options to give Lee game time. Also if your going to try and give a kid a chance you do it at home. The sprotsground is not somewhere experienced player particularly enjoy playing, so for a first start I imagine it must seem quite daunting.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:40 pm

Rhodri Jones's scrummaging technique is questionable. It would have been beneficial for him to play an additional season on the Premiership, where he would experience some hard nosed props.

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:45 pm

But that's my point, why would you want to put him in with weak packs? Granted, maybe to test the waters and see if he can manage himself to begin with but he's not going to be facing weak packs throughout his career so why make his earliest pro experiences too easy? Giving him something slightly more difficult to work with might mould him to be prepared for the tougher challenges he'll have to face as he progresses and therefore be able to cope with them better.

I'm not saying put him in with the toughest and most punishing pack out there, just that I'd seriously advise starting Lee or anyone out against something too complacently easy. Moderate it a bit, give em' something that won't lie down and will give them invaluable experience for later thumbsup

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:03 am

Yes but you need to let Lee develop 1st (ie bringing him on for 20 mins in games 1st), not throwing him in against a team we haven't beaten away for a few years, at the Showground where many senior players don't enjoy playing.

You need to develop the skills and confidence of youngsters (particularly ones who may still be developing) and while a baptism of fire can do this, it can just as easily backfire and severly harm the players confidence and skills.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:05 am

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Scarlets-set-hand-Jordan-Williams-start/story-16901839-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

According to the Evening Post Jordan Williams might start at FB, which will be harsh on Liam or Fenby (or even North) but would give another kicking option - am excited to see him (except I won't mad) but a very big ask!

The article also mentions that Gareth Davies will be in instead of Knoyle with Aled Davies on the bench.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:38 pm

Teams out on Planet Rugby - will update the OP now -

The Scarlets have made eight changes to their starting XV for Saturday's PRO12 clash with Connacht at the Sportsground in Galway.

Scarlets head coach Simon Easterby brings in a few new faces to his matchday squad and mixes up experience and youth with a number of player rotations for the contest.

Young Scarlets talent Jordan Williams gets his senior Scarlets debut at full-back where he replaces his namesake Liam Williams while new signing Australian Welsh-qualified second row Jake Ball is on the bench and gets his first opportunity to appear in his regional colours.

Wales international centre Jon Davies takes the captain's armband for the first time in his Scarlets rugby career.

Other changes to the back-line from last weekend's run-on side against Glasgow sees Gareth Davies replacing Tavis Knoyle at scrum-half, while Nick Reynolds comes in for Andy Fenby on the wing.

Amongst the forwards, Samson Lee starts at tight-head in his first competitive start and Phil John at loose-head prop, Sione Timani joins Richard Kelly in the second row. Lee takes over from Fiji international Deacon Manu while John and Timani come in for Rhodri Jones and George Earle respectively.

In the back row, Kieran Murphy starts at number eight with Scarlets skipper Rob McCusker on the bench and Josh Turnbull replaces Aaron Shingler on the flank.

Lots of changes and inexperience with Reynolds on the wing and J Williams at FB - also suprised our captain has been dropped, and our props changed - we need a big game from Phil John. Also expected Kelly to be dropped instead of Earle.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

Sorry forgot to add here's the link to the Planet Rugby team news
http://www.planet-rugby.co.za/story/0,25883,3551_8076844,00.html

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

Never noticed how good depth we had in the squad until I saw that team.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Never noticed how good depth we had in the squad until I saw that team.

I know, and to think that at lock we still have Snyman, Vallejos, Rawling, Shingler, McCusker and Turnbull who can play there - and on the wing we still haven't seen Lee Williams, Rheon James, Owen Williams, Liam Williams (on the wing), and Maule can play there.

It's great, and I'm pleased to see Aled Thomas coming along well - though I expected to see Jordan Williams being nutured as Priestlands no2, but people seem to talk about him as just a back 3 player instead.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:10 pm

I think Jordan will probably be playing fullback in the same way Preistland was, when Steve was at 10. Especially with Rhys Priestland not kicking too well recently
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:16 pm

Is Shingler on the bench this weekend ? I have him in my fantasy team and will have to change him if he isnt.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

Easterby is clearly reading my posts when he needs advice on selection Very Happy.

Samson to have a stormer.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Is Shingler on the bench this weekend ? I have him in my fantasy team and will have to change him if he isnt.

No, apparently McCusker is covering the backrow (harsh on Shingler I think).

And Yes Morg, u were right, I just hope Lee plays well as with Phil John on the other side, it's a bit of a risk. But if we win this then it'll be a great boost for youngsters like Lee, Kelly, Reynolds, Jordan Williams & Gareth Davies

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:28 pm

Priest - I think it is a case or resting up some players for the Ospreys match. (No Rhodri Jones, Earle, Shingler, Knoyle, Liam Williams or Fenby in the squad at all)

Also 2 x tight-head on the bench, I called it (just got Manu and Lee the wrong way around).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next