The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 5 Hype Jobs Active in Boxing

+14
trottb
manos de piedra
owen10ozzy
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
BoxingFan88
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
horizontalhero
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
bhb001
davidemore
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top 5 Hype Jobs Active in Boxing Empty Top 5 Hype Jobs Active in Boxing

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:35 am

Go go go!

1. Canelo
2. Chavez Jr
3. Price
4. Nathan Cleverly
5. Nathan Cleverly's dad as his trainer*

* I still remember when he said that Nathan could go up to HW.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Hype Jobs Active in Boxing Empty Re: Top 5 Hype Jobs Active in Boxing

Post by bhb001 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:41 am

Define active. Fighting a nurse or equivaleny every 6 to 9 months is down right lazy in my book

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:47 am

Alive, fit and fighting or training (trainers) at least twice a year.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:54 am

It's hard to judge a hype job because of each individual's current standing i.e. a guy could be a Euro level fighter and a hype job for that level and the same at World level.

Of the top of my head and judging them at their current standing and if they are IMO of that level i would in no order have:

Garcia (just don't think he's that good)
Fury
Chavez Jr
Cleverley (until he steps up)
Povotkin (although maybe he's not hyped here!)

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:55 am

Good shouts, but at least Garcia steps up.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:25 am

Wilder for me. Gets more hype and coverage than all of the other emerging Heavyweights (Fury, Boystov, Helenius, Price, Mitchell etc) despite his opposition being by far the poorest of the bunch.

Malignaggi, too. I'm in the minority here for whatever reason, but I just don't see anything in him. Gets described as a certain top ten pound for pounder if he carried a worthwhile punch, which I just don't agree with. Beaten every time he threatens the highest level, and tends to stink the place out, too. His non-performances against Hatton and N'Dou in particular turned my stomach. There also always seems to be a reason saying that he was, in some way, "unlucky" each time he loses, or a theory that he'd certainly perform better in rematches against those who have beaten him when, in reality, I don't see anything to support these claims.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:39 am

Is it too much to ask the op why these are hype jobs......there is no real analysis shown...

While there is much to dislike about julio jr he is still a champion with decent names on his record...who hasn't been "outed" yet!! Done everything asked of him..

Probably asking too much I know!!

Price looks a champion in waiting....Can't see any glaring weaknesses

A hype job to me would be a Michael Olajide type....The next ray leonard according to some who lost to Tate and barkley....

Other hype jobs of the past.........Robin Blake.....Matthew Hilton.......

Hard to be a hype job until you've been slapped in my opinion....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:58 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Is it too much to ask the op why these are hype jobs......there is no real analysis shown...

While there is much to dislike about julio jr he is still a champion with decent names on his record...who hasn't been "outed" yet!! Done everything asked of him..

Probably asking too much I know!!

Price looks a champion in waiting....Can't see any glaring weaknesses

A hype job to me would be a Michael Olajide type....The next ray leonard according to some who lost to Tate and barkley....

Other hype jobs of the past.........Robin Blake.....Matthew Hilton.......

Hard to be a hype job until you've been slapped in my opinion....

His chin? He gets knocked over by a stiff breeze according to Az..... Whistle

Agree with your premise though, as much as I dislike JCCjr, until he gets exposed it's not neccessarily right to call him a hype-job.

Would be tempted to say Fury having been bigged up a bit too much for my liking given he's been dropped by a nobody and only has one win of note - a fat bloated unmotivated Chisora.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:22 am

I'll slap you TRUSS...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:37 am

Instead of slapping me.....

Explain your choices in depth...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:16 am

Because every single one of them are held with a higher regard than any of the other fighter's in or around their weight class. This upsets me. Also, the fact that they have not faced a level of opposition worthy of the title or status that they held. Thirdly, they claim to be on the verge of a 'big fight' yet their opponents are so often unfairly matched against them.

David Price annoys me because he never fights and seems scared to step up.

Clev's dad because he is delusional. Can you imagine Nathan at HW.

forgive my slapping comment, bromance? heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

That simply isn't true. No says price is better than the Klitchkos or Haye, most people think that Chavez will lose to Martinez , no one rates Cleverly better than Dawson or Hopkins.
this obsession with people being Hype jobs is daft, Yes it would be nice for Price to fight more often, or for Chavez not to be a Muppet, or Cleverly to defend his alphabet belt against better people but that's it . it's nothing to do with hype

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

Disagree.

Chavez Jr isn't hyped? "Son of a Legend" Chavez Jr isn't hyped? Not a smidge? Not even a wee bit?

David Price, a bronze medal winning Olympian who got KO'd by the same Italian Joshua beat isn't hyped?

Clev was hyped as the new JC when he came out. And judging by his latest opposition he is living up to that hype pretty well.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:40 am

My point was more that most fans see things as they really are, rather than as promoters say they are. despite Gordy's claims to the contrary.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Well these muppets are making plenty of dough and that doesn't sit right with me. Chavez Jr has a massive fan base and for what? A name.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm

1.) Deontay Wilder- on record he has 25 KO's in 25 fights and is the americans big hope at heavyweight but hasn't fought a top 100 heavyweight and is happy to fight at this level

2.) Fury- his W vs chisora gets far too much credit and thinks it an excuse for him to vs weaker opposition. He has been hurt several times in his career but is less chinny than price and gets credit on this board and on C5 for beating a punch bag in Maddalone

3.) Nathan Cleverly- hard to call a hype job as no-one believes he's great but his level of opposition as a champ is pathetic and drawing (on my card) vs an average fighter in bellew is a sign that an elite fighter will beat him handily

4.) Erislandy Lara- he seems a talent and a controversial pick but a hype job is someone who is held in high regard but doesnt quite deserve it. If you remove the 'loss' vs Williams he wouldn't make top 20 at 154 based on performances. He fought nobodies then should have lost to Molina and couldn't hurt the guy Berto beat in a round. All of a sudden he deserves a shot vs Cotto, Alvarez etc, based on what? A win vs Paul Williams who got crushed by Martinez and had not fought since yet Lara didn't stagger him once despite landing power shot after power shot

5.) Adrien Broner- A controversial one again especially as I also think he is the best young fighter and will be a great fighter but so far in his career I can't see how some people are rating him fringe contenders for P4P top 10. His defences have been a lot worse than Canelo's and he could eaily have a L on his record vs Ponce De Leon who isn't a superfeather weight. Great talent but doesn't warrant the Praise the gets so far and relies on being bigger than his opponent and coming in overweight is awful for a fighter his age

I also want to put Garcia on the list but could only pick 5, he was losing vs khan, struggled with holt and a fat morales and isn't good enoug to be considered #1 at 140

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:14 pm

Broner is not a hype job, he is the only one actually living up to the hype in boxing today. Him and perhaps Ward.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

davidemore wrote:Broner is not a hype job, he is the only one actually living up to the hype in boxing today. Him and perhaps Ward.

Answer me 2 things

Who's his best win?

If he lost to De Leon would he be getting the same praise?

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/price-audley-dangerous-not-judging-him-on-haye-loss--56992

So much self-doubt from Price. He should be saying he'll smash him into retirement and move on to better challengers. Not, he's dangerous. NO, in boxing terms he is cherry-picked fodder. A man with one arm and a proven record of choking on anything resembling a stage.

Christ, a doorstep would be enough of a step up to have A-Force retracting his punches quicker than David Cameron when pressed on his "Big Society" ideas.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

Gotta be fair, Deontay Wilder isn't a hype job, because there is no hype about him!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

@ WHU

He didn't lose to De Leon and he has just beaten a good fighter and did beat De Leon. He fights regularly, has skills that are OBVIOUS and will fight Demarco next. A very good opponent. He's doing fine. He still got his 0 and took one or two on the way, too.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm

davidemore wrote:Disagree.

Chavez Jr isn't hyped? "Son of a Legend" Chavez Jr isn't hyped? Not a smidge? Not even a wee bit?

David Price, a bronze medal winning Olympian who got KO'd by the same Italian Joshua beat isn't hyped?

Clev was hyped as the new JC when he came out. And judging by his latest opposition he is living up to that hype pretty well.

Are you Az and Gordy's love-child??

Price is a 13 fight novice and his record is commensurate with that. Nobody is calling him a top HW, or even a top HW contender, just a guy who looks good has excellent potential but could do with fighting more often. An accurate assessment.

Also, he didn't get ko'd by an Italian, he got wobbled and was subject to a pathetically soft ref stoppage. The stoppage was at least as dubious as Joshua's win over the same guy (who is a world class amateur, not some random washed-up nobody).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm

Im with WHU on Broner, he is practically a light middle weight fighting at Super Feather. Thats exactly what Chavez does with Middle weight.

Way too early for the "Mayweather" comparison.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 12 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Mayweather was beating bigger men at 130lbs while broner is beating far smaller men.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 12 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

davidemore wrote:@ WHU

He didn't lose to De Leon and he has just beaten a good fighter and did beat De Leon. He fights regularly, has skills that are OBVIOUS and will fight Demarco next. A very good opponent. He's doing fine. He still got his 0 and took one or two on the way, too.

Read my post, I said he is a good fighter and has a bright future but how can someone be so highly rated when his best win was against Escobedo(spelling) who he used his size advantage to walk through him as he couldn't be bothered to cut the weight for the fight outweighing escobedo by at least 7lbs and Escobedo isn't exactly a hard fight. I thought Broner beat ponce de leon after the 2nd watch but there are still those who feel he lost that fight and De Leon isn't a great fighter

As you said he's fine, but lots feel he deserves to be top 15 p4p which is ridiculous. Another this is that they think he is the 2nd coming of mayweather which is way off the mark. He has the same defence shape but doesn't have the skills, speed and ability to use the shoulder roll mayweather had at his age. DeMarco would be a great fight and if he is the fighter people think he should take the W but untill then he deserves to receive the same critisism's Canelo, Cleverly, Povetkin etc get for having weak defences

Mayweather rehydrated to 136 max when he was at 130 with stronger fighters whereas Broner comes in at 142 minimum vs smaller guys and didn't rely on power and size to win which meant he didn't mind he lost power whe he stepped up as his skills where that good

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:02 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Price is a 13 fight novice and his record is commensurate with that. Nobody is calling him a top HW, or even a top HW contender, just a guy who looks good has excellent potential but could do with fighting more often. An accurate assessment.

Also, he didn't get ko'd by an Italian, he got wobbled and was subject to a pathetically soft ref stoppage. The stoppage was at least as dubious as Joshua's win over the same guy (who is a world class amateur, not some random washed-up nobody).

Tophat no i am not.

Look, Price got KO'd because he had a 'help me' look on his face when 'wobbled'. He didn't want to continue so he was stopped. I feel that he lacks self-belief, not heart, all fighters have balls the size of buildings, but belief.

plus, wasting his time on A-Force shows me is not looking to move forward in his career. A-Force is dreadful now.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:03 pm

WHU some valid points.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:04 pm

So everyone who is beaten in the amateurs is overhyped???????/

Henry Tillman beat Tyson so.......let's hold it against Iron mike..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:09 pm

TRUSS no one said that, come on now...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:10 pm

You're holding an amateur loss against him!! Are you not??????????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:17 pm

Yes but not all loses, and it was the way he lost that hurt.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:20 pm

I do think that the American's get away with a fair bit more than our British counter parts when it comes to the whole hype job argument.

Many people will happily claim that the likes of Price, Khan (yes he has been found out), Brook, Fury etc are hype jobs yet when it comes to American fighters huge leeway is given...until they are actually found out.

Case in point Jeff Lacy.....this guy was given the 2nd coming routine over in the states...despite the fact that his record wasn't that great prior to taking on Calzaghe. Still the American's bought into him (as did some Brits) and only when he got beat did people claim 'oh he was nothing more than a hype job'....

As has been mentioned already Deontay Wilder is getting the huge build up...yet his record is in fact worse than most of our Heavyweight Prospects....

I know this may kick up some controversy but for me

Guillermo Rigondeux seems to get away scot free where others are absolutely lambasted....especially on these boards...

Now for sure the guy has ridiculous skills but if you look past that their isn't much substance to his career so far...

He is 10 fights into his career and is somehow either very much on the verge or already in people's P4P list....

He has won his bouts in impressive fashion but I wouldn't say the people on his record are anymore impressive than other fighters who are regularly called hype jobs on here.... i.e. Brook....Price.

In fact he turned pro around the same time as Price, has had less fights (yes he has had injuries/contractual problems but so has Price)....yet doesn't get the same amount of stick....

Despite the fact he is 31!! Baffling!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:21 pm

David, Truss and the rest of the pack are right. You are being silly.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:26 pm

No Reeborn, I believe i am not.

You side with me Reeborn, not TRUSS.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

There are some truth in that Owen..but also remember we are very good at PR and marketing... hyperbole in general.................and also have lot's more channels in which to hype up a potential prospect...as well as better matchmakers in general..to showcase a fighter's strong points!!

I refer to MCclellan types....

although Duff did wonders with Mugabi!!

Lots for the British to learn when it comes to marketing.. however Duff for me is the best promoter/PR man/Matchmaker/manager I have seen since I've been here!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:55 pm

davidemore wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Tophat no i am not.

Look, Price got KO'd because he had a 'help me' look on his face when 'wobbled'. He didn't want to continue so he was stopped. I feel that he lacks self-belief, not heart, all fighters have balls the size of buildings, but belief.

plus, wasting his time on A-Force shows me is not looking to move forward in his career. A-Force is dreadful now.

Codswallop. Have watched the stoppage a number of times and it was inexcusably soft. Joshua was arguably just as shook up against the Italian but did a better job of holding on.

Audley is a mega-phone, nothing more. Again tho, Price is a 13 fight novice, Fury has 19 fights and has still only fought 1 guy better than anything on Price's CV. In fact, I'd argue that as bad as Fraudley is it is no worse a fight than Vinny Maddanobody and still shows more ambition than Wilder.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 12 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

Theres a number of fighters I think are overrated but cant think of too many I would describe as hype jobs. Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder might come closest to the description at the moment for me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 12 Sep 2012, 3:24 pm

I don't like the whole hype job argument. I think it does a great disservice to some fighters, particularly in the case of Khan, is complete rubbish. He may not be an elite fighter but he is still good. I believe he is over rated but to be a 2 time world champ is more than enough for me. That is more than anyone could of ever expected after the Prescott loss.

The Price stoppage was ridiculously soft and a fight would never be stopped in the professional ranks in that way even in this safety concious day and age.

Last edited by trottb on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 3:25 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
davidemore wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Tophat no i am not.

Codswallop. Have watched the stoppage a number of times and it was inexcusably soft. Joshua was arguably just as shook up against the Italian but did a better job of holding on.

Audley is a mega-phone, nothing more. Again tho, Price is a 13 fight novice, Fury has 19 fights and has still only fought 1 guy better than anything on Price's CV. In fact, I'd argue that as bad as Fraudley is it is no worse a fight than Vinny Maddanobody and still shows more ambition than Wilder.

Tophat your first paragraph is slightly contradictory. How can a soft stoppage be compared to Joshua holding on? "Holding on" would imply that he was badly hurt, badly hurt would then mean that it wasn't a soft stoppage.

Also, Fury is 5 years from prime and has a very short amateur career to speak of, relatively. Price is prime and had a longer one. Who should step up first?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

Amateur is not the greatest indicator or relevance to pro success, as other posters have pointed out you have elite level pros like Tyson and Naz getting beat by nobodies in the amateurs whereas Fraudley was an Olympic gold medallist.

To say Price is 'pro' prime after only 13 fights is ridiculous.

First para isn't contradictory, equal levels of hurt, one the ref stopped (therefore soft) one the ref allowed to box on (fair). At no point have I inferred either fighter was 'badly hurt'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:06 pm

Canelo is deffo a massive hype job. Got gifted the belt in a manner even JCC Jnr would be proud of. Fought nobodies and geting massive hype. If his hair were black doubtful he would be getting the hype.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:25 pm

Warren is embarrasingly trying to hype Cleverly by name dropping every world class fighter he can think of and saying they are afraid to fight him hahaha. It does make me laugh, I think he has hit a brick wall, because nobody really cares about Nathan anymore.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:25 pm

Not really a hype job declaration but is anyone else not fully sold on Nishioka? I see him creep into pound for pound lists these days but Im not really convinced by him. Admittadly I havent watched a great deal of him but he hasnt really fought too many top fighters and I wasnt overly impressed with him when I saw him against a pretty shopworn Rafa Marquez. I think Donaire should beat him comfortably. Until now, Nishioka hasnt really been mixing it with the top super bantams and he was pretty unremarkeable as a bantamweight when most bantams would be around their peak age-wise.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:40 pm

I'm a fan of Nishioka, I have to say, Manos. Perhaps not top 10, but not a million miles away from it, and the type of fighter who doesn't do that much outstandingly, but does nearly everything pretty well. Pretty quick of foot and hand, does carry a dig, as Jhonny Gonzalez found out, and quite the ring general, to boot.

Rendall Munroe may not be absolutely from the creme de la creme, but he's a solid yardstick of proven class and Nishioka beat him with something to spare. Assuming that at 36, the Japanese still has plenty left, and you're right, the Marquez win was by no means his best showing, I think that Donaire will need to be on the alert to win in October. I do believe that Donaire has all the toys, though, and expect him to do the job one way or another.

For hype jobs, it's almost invariably necessary to look at the heavyweight ranks, which are always full of hucksters trying to sell us the next Ali or Foreman. History teaches us that good heavweight eras crop up with roughly the frequency of Halley's Comet and I would always want plenty of proof before rowing in with any heavyweight pretender today.

Has James Kirkland yet been exposed to the point where we can perhaps call him a bit of a hype merchant?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:43 pm

Kirkland's a decent shout, cap, although there were always whispers going around that he'd end up being the epitome of a flat track bully - and so it was, in the end.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:51 pm

Kirkland is sueing his manager and GBP for not fulfilling the targets that where set out for him when he got out of the can.

He must have a screw loose because who the hell is going to go near him after that!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:53 pm

Im looking forward to his fight with Donaire. But thus far in his career he seems to have got by without actually fighting many, if any of the top guys in his division which I think is a problem with the lower weight classes. There isnt the same kind of pressure to force the top guys together alot of the time and with so many titles and divisions down there the quality can be spread too thin. I think Gonzales was the only super bantamweight hes fought that was ranked in the top ten of his division which isnt great. Hes 36 now and his best wins have been Gonzales, a faded Marquez and maybe Rendall Munroe. Thats a bit thin.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:01 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Kirkland is sueing his manager and GBP for not fulfilling the targets that where set out for him when he got out of the can.

He must have a screw loose because who the hell is going to go near him after that!!!

Did his targets involve getting taken out early by a soft-punching fringe-world-level-at-best fighter??

What a tool.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:41 pm

Hmm...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:45 pm

Garcia
Fury