The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hype jobs

+6
John Bloody Wayne
Strongback
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
spencerclarke
10 posters

Go down

hype jobs Empty hype jobs

Post by spencerclarke Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:22 pm

Evening all,

Lately this term seems to be getting thrown around a lot. Really though all fighters are hype jobs. That's the role of promoters,the press and fans. Do they deserve the stick they receive when they get beat. I'm getting the impression that most of the losers from the recent fights are getting judged on only the last fight. Are we being overly harsh. Yes they might not be at the level we have been led to believe but at the same time they could just have had an off night or their opponent was better than we anticipated. I guess I'm just venting a little frustration at so many fighters being written off. Let's look forward to their next fight and see if there is a trend or if it's a one off.

This isn't looking for an excuse for a loss its just taking another view.

Cheers

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

hype jobs Empty Re: hype jobs

Post by Rowley Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:25 pm

I personallyt hate the term. The minute a fighter loses he becomes a hype job, you can almost feel sympathy for a guy like Warren who matches his fighters so carefully to avoid a loss given the reaction that inevitably comes when a fighter picks up a defeat.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:29 pm

spencerclarke wrote:Evening all,

Lately this term seems to be getting thrown around a lot.  Really though all fighters are hype jobs. That's the role of promoters,the press and fans. Do they deserve the stick they receive when they get beat. I'm getting the impression that most of the losers from the recent fights are getting judged on only the last fight. Are we being overly harsh. Yes they might not be at the level we have been led to believe but at the same time they could just have had an off night or their opponent was better than we anticipated. I guess I'm just venting a little frustration at so many fighters being written off.  Let's look forward to their next fight and see if there is a trend or if it's a one off.

This isn't looking for an excuse for a loss its just taking another view.

Cheers
Depends who they lose to and the manner of their defeat but more importantly, how they come back from that defeat. Sad to see Canelo being labelled a hype job because he was beaten by the best boxer on the planet. The kid is 23 years old and he's clearly got some genuine ability but he lacked the experience to cope with what was thrown at him (figuratively and literally) on Saturday night.

Khan's been labelled a hype job most of his career and with some justification in the early days. Fighting school teachers (Steffy Bull) yet avoided seasoned pro like Thaxton whilst proclaiming himself a level above
and then being floored by the likes of Limond and four round artists like Michael Gomez.
Wins a world title and looks like he may have shaken the hype tag then throwns it all away against Petersen and then gets done by Garcia who's good but not great and he's still harping on about fighting Maweather.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:30 pm

Canelo is the latest............

Tyrone Crawley, Matthew Hilton, Gerry Cooney, Robin Blake, Engels Pedroza are a few who got it good when they lost years ago Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:33 pm

If GGG loses to Stevens will everyone be calling him a hype job?

I don't think so because he has proved how good he is thus far. Hype jobs are obvious and I am not one calling Canelo a hype job. For me he is the real deal but came up against a guy a few levels above.

Perfect example of a hype job is someone like Jeff Lacy who was hyped to the hilt, came over here and got spanked and we have not heard from him since. Daniel Jacobs is another one. Hype jobs are determined on what they do after getting beat. Will Canelo slip into boxing limbo only to turn up as a journey man fighter a few years from now?

I seriously doubt it.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:34 pm

You seem to be arguing with yourself Mate..Though I thunk hype jobs belong beneath championship level......

Like the boxers I mentioned...Lacy did achieve..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:39 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:If GGG loses to Stevens will everyone be calling him a hype job?
I don't think so because he has proved how good he is thus far. Hype jobs are obvious and I am not one calling Canelo a hype job. For me he is the real deal but came up against a guy a few levels above.

Perfect example of a hype job is someone like Jeff Lacy who was hyped to the hilt, came over here and got spanked and we have not heard from him since. Daniel Jacobs is another one. Hype jobs are determined on what they do after getting beat. Will Canelo slip into boxing limbo only to turn up as a journey man fighter a few years from now?

I seriously doubt it.
Possibly because the best name on Stevens' record is Andre Direll...and he lost that. His record is a veritable "who's he" or boxing since so one might suggest that he's been brought along carefully and that, all things being equal, Golovkin should have more than enough to beat him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:48 pm

GGG is getting a lot of hype. He has a bit to prove I feel. He has tremendous power but hasn't always had it his own way. He has good amateur pedigree and this seems to go a long way at the moment with the likes of Rigondeaux doing so well.

As far as Canelo goes it was widely reported if people cared to look that he was contracted to a large Mexican TV station who set about creating a star in the X-Factor mould. From what I've seen of him, the controversial decision with Trout and the dead man performance against Mayweather, Mexico and Oscar will be continuing the search for the bright new shiny kid with the looks and skills to match De Le Hoya's. If Danny Garcia was Mexican and not Texan Mexican he would be the new star of boxing south of the border. Saul "Feet of Stone" Alverez will be found out again the next time he steps up, which might not be for a while.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:16 pm

I can't imagine enjoying boxing if I were prone to yelling hype job every time a fighter was praised and bright things were predicted for them.

Yes, Canelo was hyped up. A PPV headliner will and should always be hyped up. TV shows are hyped up. Soft drinks are hyped up. Canelo was also big, accurate, quick and a talented boxer. Not that Mayweather let him look that way, which is to Floyd's credit.

I don't know, maybe I should be a boxing hipster and start using terms like "hype train" whenever an up and comer is complimented then act the Nostradamus when one of them inevitably loses, but it looks so boring. Best left to az if he returns Wink

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:25 pm

Strongback wrote:GGG is getting a lot of hype.  He has a bit to prove I feel.  He has tremendous power but hasn't always had it his own way.  He has good amateur pedigree and this seems to go a long way at the moment with the likes of Rigondeaux doing so well.

As far as Canelo goes it was widely reported if people cared to look that he was contracted to a large Mexican TV station who set about creating a star in the X-Factor mould.  From what I've seen of him, the controversial decision with Trout and the dead man performance against Mayweather, Mexico and Oscar will be continuing the search for the bright new shiny kid with the looks and skills to match De Le Hoya's.  If Danny Garcia was Mexican and not Texan Mexican he would be the new star of boxing south of the border.  Saul "Feet of Stone" Alverez will be found out again the next time he steps up, which might not be for a while.
If you KSAB bro you would know Danny Garcia is from PHILLY and has PUERTO RICAN ancestry.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:25 pm

Boxer does well, boxing fans get excited, media promotes boxer, boxer eventually loses to someone, boxer was a hype job.

Moral of the story: As a boxing fan, don't ever express interest or excitement at an up and coming prospect.

The 'hype job' concept is stupid.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:27 pm

YDKSAB wrote:
Strongback wrote:GGG is getting a lot of hype.  He has a bit to prove I feel.  He has tremendous power but hasn't always had it his own way.  He has good amateur pedigree and this seems to go a long way at the moment with the likes of Rigondeaux doing so well.

As far as Canelo goes it was widely reported if people cared to look that he was contracted to a large Mexican TV station who set about creating a star in the X-Factor mould.  From what I've seen of him, the controversial decision with Trout and the dead man performance against Mayweather, Mexico and Oscar will be continuing the search for the bright new shiny kid with the looks and skills to match De Le Hoya's.  If Danny Garcia was Mexican and not Texan Mexican he would be the new star of boxing south of the border.  Saul "Feet of Stone" Alverez will be found out again the next time he steps up, which might not be for a while.
If you KSAB bro you would know Danny Garcia is from PHILLY and has PUERTO RICAN ancestry.
I wonder who is doing this novelty WUM account then?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:40 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Boxer does well, boxing fans get excited, media promotes boxer, boxer eventually loses to someone, boxer was a hype job.

Moral of the story: As a boxing fan, don't ever express interest or excitement at an up and coming prospect.

The 'hype job' concept is stupid.
clap OK 

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Canelo is the latest............

Tyrone Crawley, Matthew Hilton, Gerry Cooney, Robin Blake, Engels Pedroza are a few who got it good when they lost years ago Mate..
Now that was a very slick boxer. Pity he punched like his nickname. Bramble did a number on him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:53 pm

Nothing controversial about the decision. The only controversy was that some judges had it close. I thought Trout would do a number on him given how he dealt with Cotto.

I have ben hyper critical of Saul. Calling him a hype job and chinny etc. He isn't as good as many made out, but he is no way near as bad as you make him to be. Ge hasn't got feet of clay. He cuts off the ring very well as shown against Trout. Its simply that he ran into a master of his craft in Floyd. I suppose you are a fan of Riverdance.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:27 pm

Poor old Canelo..Has gone from respected JCC type top 10 p4per...To an average weak-as -urine Trout robber......

In the space of 48 hours.........

Poor kid.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:38 pm

With lacy you also have to take in to account how much the twelve round pasting took out of him.

I must admit I watch the weekends fights and really enjoyed them and was looking forward to seeing each of the fighters again. Only to come on here and read how I'm wasting my time as most of them are useless and hyped up.

I'm quite pleased my predictions are often wrong as I generally means the surprise adds to the fun of watching. I got my predictions wrong but will still watch these guys again.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:02 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
YDKSAB wrote:

I wonder who is doing this novelty WUM account then?

It's Azania. YDKSAB arrives and a few days later Az comes back. Az is like a little dog continuously attempting to nip my heels. YDKSAB is the same.

Az the little dog. You know what they say about the dog that chases after the bus.....?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Poor old Canelo..Has gone from respected JCC type top 10 p4per...To an average weak-as -urine Trout robber......

In the space of 48 hours.........

Poor kid.

He wasn't in the Ring Top 10 until the Floyd fight was announced.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:16 pm

azania wrote:

Nothing controversial about the decision. The only controversy was that some judges had it close. I thought Trout would do a number on him given how he dealt with Cotto.

I have ben hyper critical of Saul. Calling him a hype job and chinny etc. He isn't as good as many made out, but he is no way near as bad as you make him to be. Ge hasn't got feet of clay. He cuts off the ring very well as shown against Trout. Its simply that he ran into a master of his craft in Floyd. I suppose you are a fan of Riverdance.

Type "Alverez v Trout Controversy" into google and you'll find plenty of articles. Type "Canelo poor footwork" into google and you will find plenty of references.

I advise you to do this as you appear to be visually impaired or haven't a clue what you are looking at.

In fact stop following me around you sh!t faced runt.

Anyone know how to set up the ignore function?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:21 pm

You really are some kind of first class, special needs moose aren't you. I have seen the fight and had Saul a clear winner. Opinions are like bumhole muscles; we all have them except yours is in your face.

Google Foreman poor footwork and the same stuff will come up. In fact google aliens built the pyramids and more stuff comes up. Moose, please put me on foe list and don't read or reply to any of my stuff.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:33 pm

azania wrote:You really are some kind of first class, special needs moose aren't you. I have seen the fight and had Saul a clear winner. Opinions are like bumhole muscles; we all have them except yours is in your face.

Google Foreman poor footwork and the same stuff will come up. In fact google aliens built the pyramids and more stuff comes up. Moose, please put me on foe list and don't read or reply to any of my stuff.
Don't be such an arse.hole. You're like the soldier who thinks the rest of the army marches out of step.

You don't understand most of the discussions that go on here even though for most people the intellectual content never gets beyond banter.

You're a light weight in every possible way and all you do is go around being a contrarian. You don't have one idea of your own. I have never seen you write anything interesting or profound.

You are a worthless piece of crap and you will never accomplish anything in life.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:36 pm

Moose, now you have the insults and poor language out of your system, how about commenting on boxing? I'm sure you don't want to get a thread locked.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:41 pm

azania wrote:Moose, now you have the insults and poor language out of your system, how about commenting on boxing? I'm sure you don't want to get a thread locked.

You're a loser, a very lost individual who has no sense of who he is as an individual. You seem to be searching for an identity, mimicking Truss who has a sense of humour, while you have none, will not fill that gap inside you or replace the emotion loss you obviously suffered somewhere in your life.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:46 pm

Boxing?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:54 pm

If you kept it to boxing and stopped trying to troll me I wouldn't be bothered. If you keep making it your business to pester me I will make it my business to go into 5th gear and constantly abuse you every time I log on.

Seriously though do you have Daddy issues?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:45 am

Bro you are a the one with HATRED issues. You come on here and get PWNED and then you BURN! You stay up all night hoping Money will LOSE and then you BURN when he puts on a MASTERCLASS once again! You gotta be on here writing BS HATE threads about Money.

YDKSAB bro. You think Danny Garcia from Texas Mexican?? PWNED again!

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:47 am

Looks like we've lost ghosty again........and the inmates are taking over the asylum........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 17 Sep 2013, 11:54 am

I hate the term hype jobs too

Canelo is a great fighter, he just isn't Floyd. I remember many thought trout, who by everyone's definition falls into a "hype job" after getting beat, would make Canelo look silly and be robbed Rios-Abril style but Canelo won that fight clearly

Matthysse is not a hype job, his credentials are proven, but meerly Garcia was criminally underrated. He wasn't schooled by Danny, he was there all the way and without a busted up eye he could have edged the already close fight in his favour, he was very much on the up before it closed up

A proper hype job I can think of is Price and Seth Mitchell but that's about it

Losses count for too much with fans, who would want to be a boxer nowadays in this climate

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 17 Sep 2013, 6:46 pm

Makes you wonder whu why some people watch boxing when the greatest joy they get out of it is deriding a boxers achievements so much. I wonder which decent boxers from history would have been dismissed now a days because of one result.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 17 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Looks like we've lost ghosty again........and the inmates are taking over the asylum........
What happened to terror ghosty?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 17 Sep 2013, 7:06 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I hate the term hype jobs too

Canelo is a great fighter, he just isn't Floyd. I remember many thought trout, who by everyone's definition falls into a "hype job" after getting beat, would make Canelo look silly and be robbed Rios-Abril style but Canelo won that fight clearly

Matthysse is not a hype job, his credentials are proven, but meerly Garcia was criminally underrated. He wasn't schooled by Danny, he was there all the way and without a busted up eye he could have edged the already close fight in his favour, he was very much on the up before it closed up

A proper hype job I can think of is Price and Seth Mitchell but that's about it

Losses count for too much with fans, who would want to be a boxer nowadays in this climate
Totally agree. Unfortunately there some jokers here (well one in particular) who claims Trout won and uses it as evidence of Canelo being slow footed and hyped.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down