The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez v Chavez: My Round By Round Breakdown

+16
Pedro147
Fists of Fury
azania
PPVxHOTTY
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
davidemore
captain carrantuohil
superflyweight
manos de piedra
owen10ozzy
ShahenshahG
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TheMackemMawler
Seanusarrilius
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Martinez v Chavez: My Round By Round Breakdown Empty Martinez v Chavez: My Round By Round Breakdown

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:31 pm

It's not often I go out on a limb to this degree, risking my 606v2boxing reputation (which in my own warped mind is pretty good), but here goes.

But I have been waiting for this fight a long time. So here goes.

Round 1: Will start of a little cagier than we expect. Martinez will circle and look for some openings. Junior won't come forward immediately, but he will still be there to be hit. Martinez will land one or two significant straight lefts toward the end of the round. Expect posturing smiles by both as the bell sounds.

Round 2: Chavez will look to put himself in range. Will move forward and Martinez will look to time him as he comes in. Chavez won't be battered in this round, but Martinez will be finding his range. Expect Chavez to fire some body shots as he gets close to him, but nothing significant will land and Martinez will work his way out of trouble. During this period Martinez will also be using a left to the body to see whether it slows Junior down any.

Round 3: Here is where fight comes alive. Martinez will feel Chavez is there to hit and will be throwing lead lefts and right hand hooks as Junior comes forward. Chavez will throw some haymakers as he comes in, and may come close to tagging Martinez flush, but will always take more punishment than he can give.

Rounds 4, 5 and 6: Chavez will now be getting frustrated in his corner between rounds. He won't have been able to find Martinez and will complain of him running from him. Roach will say he needs to close the gap and not just follow him around the ring. Junior will be breathing heavy in his stool.

This desperate need to start making inroads into Martinez will heighten the action. Chavez will be spurred on in exchanges by the crowd and will cause Martinez some issues. But when Junior gets close Martinez grapples and does good job of covering up inside. When they are at distance Chavez is tagged with strafing shots.

Rounds 7 & 8: By now both men are tired. Martinez will have used some gas, holding Chavez at bay, but will have dented Junior by landing a tremendous percentage of his power punches. Junior will be told by his corner that Sergio is tiring. Daddy will step up to the mat and implore Junior to force him back with straight left and rights, which Junior can't do. Martinez corner will work on keeping him calm and continue the strategy of making Junior pay for coming in. The straight left and right hook will have been huge weapons for Martinez.

Round 9, 10 and TKO: Junior will be gassing due to the work rate he's had to produce to stay in it, and the accumulation of Martinez punches. The weight will come off his punches in the 9th and once Martinez feels that he will star putting together more combos. Junior's will is strong and he will have an Alamoesque last stand in the 9th that will burn the remainder of his tank. By the end of the 10th Martinez is able to tee off to such an extent that Junior is retired in his corner.

Matinez wins by TKO/Retirement after 10 rounds.

Many will admire the gallant bravery shown by Junior, until the next day, when he fails a urine test.

The Key Factors to this fight will prove to have been:

Martinez conditioning and ability to remain strong for 12 rounds
Martinez agility, natural ability and natural power
Martinez being able to land 50% of power shots
Martinez ability to figure out mid-fight what adjustments he needs to make in order to win.
Chavez inability to hit Martinez cleanly and often early
Chavez inability to use straight right and left hands
Chavez lack of conditioning
Chavez inability to pin Martinez against the ropes for any length of time
Chavez inability to adjust during the fight

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Martinez v Chavez: My Round By Round Breakdown Empty Re: Martinez v Chavez: My Round By Round Breakdown

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:01 pm

For the record, I want Chavez to win.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Martinez v Chavez: My Round By Round Breakdown Empty Re: Martinez v Chavez: My Round By Round Breakdown

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:02 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:For the record, I want Chavez to win.

You have been counted

Commissaries in advance. Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:02 pm

heart
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:02 pm

Shocked pourquoi??!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

Chavez Knocks out martinez 3 seconds into round 1...

.....then quickly removes his gloves and hands em to his corner.

Martinez's corner are left scratching their heads over a suspiciously horseshoe shaped bruise on their fighter's face.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:09 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Shocked pourquoi??!!

Martinez has a face like Dodger from Hollyoaks...... a face you want to cave in.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:15 pm

I want Martinez to win......but I have a sneaky suspicion that Chavez is going to beat him.

I do rate Martinez....but the way some talk about him one would think they will witness a 'Mayweather type 2.0' or something...

He can be found and tagged....that was proven by both Barker & Macklin who I would regard as fringe world level at best.

Chavez is of course their to be hit...in fact he makes Hatton look like Whittaker but im not sure Martinez has the power to just knock him out.

He grounded down Macklin & Barker but was allowed to box at his own pace which he wont be allowed to do here.

In fact the most uncomfortable I saw Martinez look was in the 1st fight against Williams...for me he showed how you beat Martinez. That's with sustained pressure and throw plenty of punches. Something which Chavez does well (of course the PED's may be the reason)...

I will be doing a full preview of the fight on my blog which I will post on Friday...but safe to say my money is on an upset victory for Chavez....and I actually think whilst it will be close it won't be that controversial...

But I have my fingers crossed that Chavez gets bombed out painfully!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

But Owen, what makes you think that Chavez isn't fringe world class??

He has yet to fight an opponent who has ever held some form of strap.

Its alright beating up old Manfredo and Rubio. Robbing Zbik, Molina and even Oisin Fagan!!!!!

He only fights one way and someone with the talent of Martinez can easily take that game away and embarrass him.

He was bought a belt, he never earned it. And apart from the Lee fight, I am yet to see him look anything decent. The Lee fight has clouded a hell of a lot of judgement. And Lee ain't a world beater, if Brian Vera could win against him that says it all really.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:25 pm

Best JCCjr odds are 15/8 at the moment. Best price on Martinez 4/7.

You can nudge up to 10/3 if you're willing to back JCCjr via decision.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

I'm not stating Chavez is World Class Reborn -

I think he is better than what people give him credit for but that is his own fault due to, as you mention, the lack of names on his record...

It could turn out that he turns up Saturday and gets found out as an average fighter who has got to where he has because of his name...

But I think he showed enough against Lee to suggest he has got some decent tools to work with....and he is bloody huge for the weight (yes we all know possible reasons but im not getting into them)...

Hatton showed at 140 that to a large degree you can get by with a brawling style especially if you can bully your opponent. Of course he got found out by Pacman...but I would say Martinez style is more negative than Pacmans in that he doesn't throw as often or really force his opponent onto the back foot.

As I alluded to I think Macklin & Barker to an extent showed Martinez up a little in his last two fights and whilst I think he is gifted...has some great tools, I just don't think he is as good as many believe...

For me his victory over Williams clouded some people's perception of him, in that he is now suddenly this incredible boxer.

I just have this feeling that Chavez with his size & pressure will beat him. Martinez for me seemed to have this 2 year peak (Williams 1 & 2, Pavlik) where he looked fantastic) but since they I wouldn't say he has looked all that great...

Like I said I hope im wrong but for me Chavez may just surprise a fair few people on Saturday night!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:47 pm

The shortness of the bookies odds on Chavez is one of the things throwing me a bit for this fight. I would have said Chavez was maybe 3/1 or 5/2 for the fight. But less than 2/1? I wonder has the idea that this is going to be some big stitch up, or else a whole lot of Mexicans betting with their hearts skewed the price somewhat.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

He looked amazing versus Dzinzurik.

The above is what I hope will happen. I have a tenner on MArtinez KO too, so I am willing to go out on a limb. I do recognise Junior has made improvements, and I think the fact he is a naile don Dr**s cheat will help him. But he isn't world class IMO, not with what he has shown me. I don't think MArtinez is the next Floyd Mayweather either, he is flawed and will have some rough moments even if he wins, but he is faster,smarter, hits harder,, more elusive and just better than Junior, in my opinion.

For me, this would be a victory for boxing if Martinez beat a guy whow as gifted belts and easy defences for two years. Not to mention no drug tests. Junior is a microcosm for what is wrong with boxing.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

10/3 for a Chavez looks like decent value given his apparent durability and the potential for a stitch up. Not worth a huge bet but
might be worth a little bet as part of an accumulator.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

Well to be fair, at least to to some degree, to Chavez he is actually stepping up to it here. He got his belt easy but its only a year since hes won it and now he is taking on the best in the division. Its not that terrible. He could have avoided Martinez completely pretty easily and still made lots of money and enjoyed a big fanbase.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:05 pm

Has the middleweight division ever had so little cream and so much thin, UHT-style milk in it since the early 1930s, though?

Martinez, by virtue of his blow-out of Williams, is rightly the King, but really, he'd be merely one decent boxer among many others in most 160 lb eras. I hope that I'm missing something with Chavez Jr, who simply does nothing whatever to inspire me. Then we have Geale, who's willing and competent, but not terribly interesting, and Sturm, who's been around for ever, usually on one side or another of a controversial decision in Germany.

I've not yet seen Golovkin in action (I intend to remedy this imminently), but if he's even half as good as I've read, the division is surely at his mercy. About time, too. No heavyweights, I can live with. No middleweights as well is too much for a boxing enthusiast to stomach.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:12 pm

Innevitabely though, when you add in so many extra divisions, the quality will be diluted in each division. The middleweight division have been suffering from that the last couple of years. Super middleweight has been where its at.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

Golovkin seems to me to be the real deal, relaxed style and a very good set of skills allied with hurtful power. Small weakness is taht he occasionally throws a telegraphed or very rounded hook or straight but not with enough regularity for it to be exploited. I think despite all the skills and power he posesses - his ability to seize on a countering opportunityis his best weapon. Only watched two or three fights myself and really enjoying them. On the defensive side of things - he slips quite well and rolls with the punch even better. One to watch and I'd agree if he keeps on going as he is he might steam roller through the opposition in MW.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:21 pm

Agreed, manos, although up until the last three years or so, we've been in the happy position where both 160 and 168 have been pretty competitive and full of good fighters, certainly from around 1990. It does seem as though 168, rather than the classic middleweight limit, is now the preferred jumping off point for a number of the best at around that weight. In an era where there are demonstrably fewer boxers around the world, certainly at the higher weights, this dilution of quality is the best possible reason I can advance for the removal of the "junior" weight divisions from the scene.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:26 pm

Good to know, Shah, thanks. I've just had a look at the Ring ratings, which have Macklin and Martin Murray at 7 and 8 among middleweights. They're perfectly good fighters, but I question whether they would rank so highly in most other eras. As I say, I hope that Golovkin is the fellow to lead a glorious new era in a division with such a distinguished history.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

I definately think that below lightweight needs re-arranging. 8 divisions down there is disastrous in terms of diluting quality, especially at limits that the average man finds hard to make anyway. And with the day before weigh in policy and how refined the art of weight cutting has become then most of them probably weigh similar amounts in the ring on fight night anyway even if they seperated by about 3 weight classes divisionally.

Above lightweight Im a bit more forgiving because in the last few years I think the right fights are still getting made there bar some (1 very obvious) exceptions. I think the SMW and CW divisions are probably worth having because the jumps without them would be quite substantial. From heavyweight to light welterweight by and large good fights are happening between the top guys in the divisions. There is a ring magazine champion for every weight above Light middle I think.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

Golovkin is insanely powerful, I know that much

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

Great breakdown. I think Martinez has this but if honest, i also think for some reason (juice?) Chavez Jr will hurt him.

However, Martinez by points! Smile

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

Going for an upset......

Chavez by ko11..........Martinez is knocking on...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:17 pm

Could happen TRUSS! Let's hope not.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

"Could happen TRUSS"

Could it??? You've just been saying he's a waste of space on another thread.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

Punchers chance?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:36 pm

How much credit will Martinez get if he totally destroys Chavez, (like I expect him to)?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm

probably none, but who cares? He will have put an end to a problem

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:25 pm

Haha yes good point Very Happy

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:20 am

I can't believe people are even going into depth about this fight lol, when Chavez feels his power and speed, its curtains for Martinez. I guarantee you all Martinez will be caught on back foot and stranded easy K.O for Chavez, rounds 7-12 stoppage for Chavez is 9/1 with Ladbrokes.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm

If he isn't juicing, I want junior to win. Better for boxing that he does win. Martinez has the personality of a wet plank and Junior will bring more viewers to the sport.

Just hope he is good enough to do so legit.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

azania wrote:If he isn't juicing, I want junior to win. Better for boxing that he does win. Martinez has the personality of a wet plank and Junior will bring more viewers to the sport.

Hahahahahha

Attacking Martinez personality over Junior's

Keep wumming boy.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Martinez comes across as a thoroughly decent guy who wants the best for boxing regardless of politics. But outside his front room, who knows him?

Junior will have a good rivalry with Canelo which will be good for boxing imo. Two hyped up kids who were gifted belts and defended it against stiffs but have massive fan bases. Great for the sport.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:34 pm

azania wrote:Martinez comes across as a thoroughly decent guy who wants the best for boxing regardless of politics. But outside his front room, who knows him?

Junior will have a good rivalry with Canelo which will be good for boxing imo. Two hyped up kids who were gifted belts and defended it against stiffs but have massive fan bases. Great for the sport.

Wrong wrong wrong

So wrong I won't even shape an argument on how wrong you are. It woudl wrong of me to even try to do so. boxing

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:38 pm

Martinez has a fair bit of personality, actually.

Some of which shines through in the old Q&A's we did with him. He's a top bloke.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Martinez has a fair bit of personality, actually.

Some of which shines through in the old Q&A's we did with him. He's a top bloke.

To quote Davidemore

heart

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm

Bromance.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

Hahaha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

PPVxHOTTY wrote:I can't believe people are even going into depth about this fight lol, when Chavez feels his power and speed, its curtains for Martinez. I guarantee you all Martinez will be caught on back foot and stranded easy K.O for Chavez, rounds 7-12 stoppage for Chavez is 9/1 with Ladbrokes.

Yep alright, same guy who struggled with Zbik not too long ago, is wide open and has never been in with a puncher or someone with any type of speed.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:48 pm

Martinez's said he wished he had bet Sulaiman so he could have the free dinner. (Referring to the apparent bet Sulaiman made with someone that Chavez would win).

I've already said it a million times, but this is an easy fight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 13 Sep 2012, 2:00 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
PPVxHOTTY wrote:I can't believe people are even going into depth about this fight lol, when Chavez feels his power and speed, its curtains for Martinez. I guarantee you all Martinez will be caught on back foot and stranded easy K.O for Chavez, rounds 7-12 stoppage for Chavez is 9/1 with Ladbrokes.

Yep alright, same guy who struggled with Zbik not too long ago, is wide open and has never been in with a puncher or someone with any type of speed.

Martinez wont go forward so no judge in front of that crowd will give him the win even if he hits him with 100 punches a round. When you say no puncher with 'speed' what do you mean? and my take on this fight is Chavez will shred his body and pick him off late.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 4:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Od8DyAafs&list=FLBcFoQPB7137UekX118Db0A&index=4&feature=plcp

This video tells me two things

Freddie had no strategy in place to defeat MArtinez - other than "go get him" son

also, Freddie might be losing his mind if he think Junior can go LOWER than 160.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

Martinez hands low and his constant movement will negate the threat of Chavez body shots. That and the fact he is going to get pounded in the face by a jab when he marauds forward

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:34 pm

War of words heats up...

With one fighter promising punishment and the other warning his opponent to prepare for retirement, Saturday's WBC middleweight title fight between Sergio Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr looks set to be an explosive affair.

At the final pre-fight news conference in Las Vegas on Wednesday, Martinez, 37, told reporters that he had "trained a long time dancing".

He added: "That's all I need to break his face a thousand times. I will punish him a lot and then I will knock him out. He will suffer a lot."

Unsurprisingly, Chavez Jr predicted a different outcome for his rival when they meet on Saturday at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

"I'm not only going to beat you, I'm going to retire you," the 26-year-old told the Argentine.

Having watched tapes of his opponent, Chavez Jr mockingly added: "I have seen when he was knocked out or knocked down and his eyes were white. He looked pretty good."

The beginning of the bad blood between the two fighters can be traced back to the highly different paths they each took before reaching this point in their careers.

Chavez Jr (46-0-1), the son of Mexico's most famous and celebrated fighter, turned professional at the age of 17 and made his Las Vegas debut in his fifth bout.

Having not visited a boxing gym until he was 20, Martinez (49-2-2) spent the first ten years of his career fighting in Argentina and Spain.

After relocating to the USA in 2007, the fighter found success after defeating Kelly Pavlik in the 2010 WBC middleweight championship.

However, the WBC stripped him of that belt last year when he elected to fight Ukraine's Sergiy Dzinziruk instead of mandatory challenger Sebastian Zbik of Germany.

Chavez Jr then assumed the title with a majority decision win over the German.

Ever since, Martinez has been campaigning for a fight with the Mexican, asserting that "the only reason he is world champion is because he is Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, the son of the legend and his mouth is so big, even bigger than his own brain and he's talking too much."

But his opponent has hit back to the taunts with insults of his own, stating that he is "going to shut him up once and for all" as well as claiming that the Argentine is "just a big clown."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:46 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
azania wrote:If he isn't juicing, I want junior to win. Better for boxing that he does win. Martinez has the personality of a wet plank and Junior will bring more viewers to the sport.

Hahahahahha

Attacking Martinez personality over Junior's

Keep wumming boy.

lol classic Az, just support the biggest tw@t!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:50 pm

Nice to see Martinez being spiteful and talking smack for a change.

Still stand by my opinion that JC winning will set up a fight with Canelo which will be huge. Sergio winning will mean Canelo running like a b!tch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:49 pm

even though ive been backing martinez, i had a cheaky bet on jnr on points last night at 3-1.

martinez looked pretty oridnary against the two brits and he's getting no younger, if the fights even close id imagine the wbc belt will always go to jnr

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:58 pm

I'm backing Chavez, I really wan't him to beat old horse face.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:03 pm

Martinez is going to beat him like a herd of unwanted step children

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next