The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN classic Wal v Eng 2005, a few things......

+8
maestegmafia
Breadvan
Barney McGrew did it
anotherworldofpain
HammerofThunor
Looseheaded
mowgli
DaveM
12 posters

Go down

ESPN classic Wal v Eng 2005, a few things...... Empty ESPN classic Wal v Eng 2005, a few things......

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

Of course a happy heart warming game for any Welsh man, but i have got to say the line speed on both defenses are unbelievably slow compared to even club rugby right now! only eight seasons ago but it is night and day in comparison.

Stevo and Peel were magic such speed and accuracy from Peel at the breakdown.

Also England would have seriously struggled with the laws on side entry and off your feet were imposed properly.

Back to top Go down

ESPN classic Wal v Eng 2005, a few things...... Empty Re: ESPN classic Wal v Eng 2005, a few things......

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:37 pm

Also any English man who says Henson is only famous for "that kick" is a one eyed idiot.

He is collecting all Charlie Hodgson loose kicks and returning them pinning England in there own 22,

He also made Jason Robinson and Lewsey look daft on so many occasions, his kick and chase is exposing the complete lack of spacial awareness of them both.

Back to top Go down

ESPN classic Wal v Eng 2005, a few things...... Empty Re: ESPN classic Wal v Eng 2005, a few things......

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

How the hell did this lot from England earn there Lions 2005 tour place?? they are rubbish

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm

I think most English fans think of Henson as an exceptional, but wasted, talent.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

SCW famously said post 05 slam that if he were picking a Lions side at the time it would have been Wales....clearly he must have employed Campbell to come up with that little gem as he couldn't have got it more wrong when choosing his test team

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:58 pm

Lol love it final whistle goes the Millennium goes mental, camera shot to Ruddock hugging his fellow coaches and Sean Holleys little keen face pops up in camera shot from his analysis desk Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

SHAVE AWAY GAVIN!
SHAVE AWAY!!

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

So Wales (the best team in the NH) scraped past England (who were Poopie)? No wonder the Lions got hammered.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:29 pm

Henson looked good when they played Southland as well.

There is a trend there if you look closely.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:16 am

SCW always had an eye to the future. Perhaps he didn't see the Welsh GS players of '05 so much as those that slumped to 5th some months later in '06. Just a thought.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

Jeez view, and you say us Eng fans still live in the past ?! Smile

Tbh, we were never in this game. Altho this whole thing was built on sand.... Whistle

Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Henson looked good when they played Southland as well.

There is a trend there if you look closely.

The best game I have ever seen him play was against the All Blacks in Cardiff 2004.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

Yes, I recall a lot of young all black talent was blooded that day! A pre-cursor to Carter's dominance of the Lions in 2005, and Weepu at 9 shuffling along Byron Kelleher. Although some of the rotated players on show that day sank without trace. Laulala, Tuiali'i, Gear snr and Marty Holah who I think was headhunted for a Welsh province around that time.

I don't recall Henson's performance that day, maybe I'll rewatch the game. I remember they got close! and on their day, might have just snuck a win!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm

It's a shame I thought this thread was going to be really interesting about the difference in line speed, defence and physicality today compared to even the recent past - It's a shame it's going to fall into the same England/Wales slanging match.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:23 pm

Agreed about the physicality today rather then now. Although way off international standard, i remember watching the schools second team playing when i was younger and i wasnt frightend by the physicality or looked away at vicious rucks. Speed foward afew years and I watched the same team again (albet with different players) and the physicality was frightening, the sound of impact was ridiculous and the game, partially down to the line speed was alot faster. Even looking at old international matches of the 80's, its like they are moving in slow motion.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:36 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Also any English man who says Henson is only famous for "that kick" is a one eyed idiot.

He is collecting all Charlie Hodgson loose kicks and returning them pinning England in there own 22,

He also made Jason Robinson and Lewsey look daft on so many occasions, his kick and chase is exposing the complete lack of spacial awareness of them both.

Jason Robinson, Josh Lewsey & Gavin Henson pick 2 from 3?

Tough one Rolling Eyes

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Fri 14 Sep 2012, 6:29 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
viewtothegym wrote:Also any English man who says Henson is only famous for "that kick" is a one eyed idiot.

Jason Robinson, Josh Lewsey & Gavin Henson pick 2 from 3?

Tough one Rolling Eyes

Robinson and Henson for me in terms of sheer talent. Robinson and Lewsey in terms of careers. However on that day in 2005, Gavin Henson was deservedly man of the match.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:43 am

You can see why creative 12's are becoming old school with the defensive line speed,
crash ball massive centres are needed to bust through the line

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down