The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN Classic

4 posters

Go down

ESPN Classic Empty ESPN Classic

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:22 pm

Anyone noticed that this week they're screening some big Fed matches from Wimbledon? Sampras, Henman (2001), Nadal (2007, 2008) and Roddick (2009). Some great matches, with Sampras probably the highlight in my opinion.

The thing I found fascinating was to watch the 2001 matches and then the 2007. The difference is amazing; in 2001 they follow almost every serve to the net, in 2007 almost none. It's like watching a different sport, or certainly a completely different era.

Henman sure could play, too. Very unfortunate really that just as Sampras faded they changed the event.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

ESPN Classic Empty Re: ESPN Classic

Post by wow Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:55 pm

Why did they do it?

Beyond comprehension

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

They made a very simple mistake. I understand why there was a need to slow it down but they slowed it down at a time the new string technology came up and spread. It's the combination of both bigger balls and strings (plus huge improvement in players fitness), that completely changed the game to the baseliner/returner advantage. I am pretty sure they did not anticipate the string technology to emphasise their slowing of the conds.

However I think after the last 2 finals, they have no excuse not to provide faster conds next year. When you look at how great where the Sampras/Fed or Goran/Rafter matches comapred to Berdych/Nadal, it's beyond me why they still use those balls!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

When you look at how great where the Sampras/Fed or Goran/Rafter matches comapred to Berdych/Nadal, it's beyond me why they still use those balls!

It's like a beachball nowadays Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down