The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match

+18
Josiah Maiestas
sirfredperry
monty junior
socal1976
Danny_1982
Jeremy_Kyle
carrieg4
invisiblecoolers
The Special Juan
CaledonianCraig
User 774433
hawkeye
laverfan
Mad for Chelsea
Calder106
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
Tennisanorak
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match - Page 3 Empty It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match

Post by Tennisanorak Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:00 am

First topic message reminder :

Apparently, it is churlish to point out that in my opinion, the tennis wasn't exactly the best in USO 212 final. This is in some way seen as spoiling Andy's moment.

I fail to understand why this is the case. When my favourite player won Wimbledon in 2009 and broke perhaps the most important record in the game, I did not have any problem accepting that it wasn't the best match he had played.

Why is everyone so sensitive to this? How does a comment on the quality of the match take away from the great achievement of winning a slam? I would have thought that the two are almost (Note: I didn't say "completely") independent!

So let me say that again. It was a forgettable match for the quality of tennis, but it was a great achievement by Murray, and I'm so glad for him!

Tennisanorak

Back to top Go down

It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match - Page 3 Empty Re: It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match

Post by hawkeye Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:CC Bubbly

Roger fans are going to kill us for uttering these words It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match - Page 3 3845856932

*Just want to clear up that Roggie is still the bestest out of the bestest, and all his matches are worth pure Lindt chocolate mixed with Swiss cheese

Oh! I see where your coming from now. You don't like Federer? Anyone but Federer?

Err where did anyone say that. It is just that some people don't buy into this Federer-love in. Facts are facts when one is so good as Fed is. You get a career largely devoid of nail-biting matches compared to other players as he is/was so flawless it means a stack of his games are devoid of that necessary element for a classic match - nail-biting finish and drama. Fed the GOAT but doesn't mean he is the king of entertainment is my point.

I wasn't talking to you CaladonianCraig. Of course I know exactly where your coming from. I was talking to It Must Be Love. They are a little less obvious.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match - Page 3 Empty Re: It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm

hawkeye wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

Roger fans are going to kill us for uttering these words It was a great achievement and a forgettable tennis match - Page 3 3845856932

*Just want to clear up that Roggie is still the bestest out of the bestest, and all his matches are worth pure Lindt chocolate mixed with Swiss cheese

Oh! I see where your coming from now. You don't like Federer? Anyone but Federer?

Err where did anyone say that. It is just that some people don't buy into this Federer-love in. Facts are facts when one is so good as Fed is. You get a career largely devoid of nail-biting matches compared to other players as he is/was so flawless it means a stack of his games are devoid of that necessary element for a classic match - nail-biting finish and drama. Fed the GOAT but doesn't mean he is the king of entertainment is my point.

I wasn't talking to you CaladonianCraig.

Sorry for breathing. Rolling Eyes
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:05 pm

I think Neil Armstrong deliberately engaged the manual override to the auto pilot (rather than a failure) because they were headed for a field of boulders and he wanted to fly away from the boulders and stop the auto-pilot landing on a boulder which it wasn't clever enough to avoid.

Anyway, Neil Armstrong became famous because he happened to be slated to fly Apollo 11 not 10 (fly to the moon but not quite land) or 12 (second moon landing) and the fact that he got 11 was just chance in how the sequence of flights worked out, not because he was the best. The moon mission was the work of many people, a real team effort. There is only 1 man (arguably) who was absolutely essential to the project, without which the landings might not have been successful, and that is Werner Von Braun, the guy who made the V2s for the Nazi that lethally but inefficiently bombed London in world war two.

The Russians had the first man in space and the first orbit but when they tried to build the bigger rockets required to fly to the moon they all blew up on the launch pad. If the Russians had fought off the German advance faster in 1943, or if the Americans had not joined the war, perhaps the Russians might have made it to the moon first.

Building a rocket bigger than the Statue of Liberty, over a hundred metres tall, was no easy feat, and even today the Saturn Vs stand as the greatest rocket ever created. Of all the many technological improvements that were required get to the moon, this one stands out.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the success of the moon landings was less than 1% due to Neil Armstrong, while the US Open success was arguably mostly down to Murray himself, not his support team.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:16 pm

Hawkeye when exactly did I say I 'don't like Federer' or that I was 'anyone but Federer.'

I jokingly implied Rosol was a the greatest ahead of Federer, and I said that I find Nadal matches more entertaining, but where did you come to these dramatic conclusions?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:40 pm

It was when you said this. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything so sorry if it came out like that. Just trying to figure out who you support.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:43 pm

hawkeye wrote:

It was when you said this. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything so sorry if it came out like that. Just trying to figure out who you support.
I support Nadal, Hawkeye.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:43 pm

Hawkeye - Murray's win has made you more aggressive than normal.

I think you should try and take the positives. Murray said he was pleased to win it for the whole of Britain. That means you Hawkeye.

Murray won it for you. kiss

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:00 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

I thought you might... but I wasn't sure. You are a master of disguise...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

hawkeye wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

I thought you might... but I wasn't sure. You are a master of disguise...
drumroll

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

Henman Bill wrote: ... There is only 1 man (arguably) who was absolutely essential to the project, without which the landings might not have been successful, and that is Werner Von Braun, the guy who made the V2s for the Nazi that lethally but inefficiently bombed London in world war two. ...
That is why the US turned a blind eye to von Brauns ethics - who used slave labour (many died) in the V2 factories. Such were the times.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:27 am

Positively 4th Street wrote:I enjoyed the match hugely. It was partly the narrative with Murray and all that went with it, but it had a lot going for it in terms of drama, ebbs and flows in sets, games and countless times even during points. Nothing bores me more than a big server getting free points, with these two that was at a premium.

On the wider entertainment point, I am always more engaged when it is a contest.

Yes P4S I think despite what criticisms we hear about the game today that the majority of fans would say the same thing and that is why we have seen the tournaments slow down in the first place. The final as a contest of wills with both Djoko and murray battling so hard against each other and mother nature at the same time was certainly something to remember. A very good post.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3