The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio's gamble....

+3
KC
BoxingFan88
John Bloody Wayne
7 posters

Go down

Sergio's gamble.... Empty Sergio's gamble....

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:01 am

Early in the fight (which fight? STFU!) it was clear Martinez had the legs on Julio and could beat Jr on the outside because that's Sergio's domain. It's in close where Junior wanted to work, so I was worried when Sergio had his back to the ropes as early as round 2! However he didn't run from the ropes immediately, he actually stayed there, placed his shoulder and elbows in the right places and generally outworked Julio at that range as well. His angles, speed and short punching were better to the extent that Junior was beaten at his own game.

After that, Junior would spend more time throwing straight punches from range, the centre of the ring, and that's when Sergio really started having some fun in there. Chavez would still make some efforts to work Martinez in close, because it's all he could do, but I believe Martinez took a risk early on in trying to out-Chavez Chavez. It is then that I think Martinez took the edge.

Junior hangs his chin out and grins to wear and opponent's spirit down, this was the Martinez equivalent to that!

Vamos Maravilla!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Sergio's gamble.... Empty Re: Sergio's gamble....

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:03 pm

Totally agree! Well done Maravilla, totally worthy of the name!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:07 am

alma wrote:I could only find the last round on the net today but thought chavez looked quite ordinary even though he scored a knockdown. Just plodded forward. Meat and drink to someone like Martinez

You obviously didn't look v hard!

I went onto YouTube, typed in Martin.. & before I could finish typing it came up with the full fight [albeit some dodgy Eastern European commentary].

May I say what a pleasure it was to see Maravilla box Junior's head off & completely take him to school Yahoo

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:18 am

With youtube it can be hit and miss, you can type in the exact same search and the results are different!?!

I remember in one of the 24/7s where Roach said Chavez should keep Martinez. In the middle of the ring! It didn't matter where he was!

Roach has finally giving Martinez his well-overdue props and said he is extremely good and better than he thought he was.

Martinez fought perfectly albeit I did almost lay a deposit in my M&S pijamas in the 12th!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:09 pm

Fantastic analysis there JBW, for me you're bang on the money.

I also think Martinez is a very smart fighter, I think what he was attempting to do was break Chavez's heart, break his will, make him give up on himself mentally, thus beating someone at their own game, there isn't much that is more demoralising than that. Sergio also wanted a KO, and he almost paid for that!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that Martinez is overrated!!

He looks amateurish and If he wasn't a southpaw he'd be ordinary!!

He makes me realise timing in life is everything (If i'd have stayed at home the night of Chavez-Rosario I met be happy!! Cool )

.......Hoppo, Jones jr, Nunn would all beat the guy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm

Three truly great middleweights at their peaks would beat him? You could say that of most fighters.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:40 pm

class act, i was up on the bed willing him to get on his bike in round 12, i thought it was guna be chavez de ja vu again, but he was so stubborn and kept banging, tough guy. was a schooling for 11 rounds and beautiful to watch.

how big did chavez look against martinez too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

Gotta wonder what will happen to Junior when he faces someone his own size? If Sergio, the former welter, can back him up and bust his nose imagine what the likes of Kessler would do to him. Even if he manages to stay at 160 he better keep out of Gennady's way.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

his chin is awsome, i think he'll take the punches, but if the power doesnt carry up then he will just be outboxed all night by most of the champions at the minute.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm

Yeah, top chin but it gets hit far too much. Given that 168 is a stronger division talent wise overall, and he won't have the size advantages, I can't see him making a dent in the top men. Even at 160 it seems to be more down to the size advantage that he can hurt his opponents.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 17 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

i agree, however the one excellent aspect of his game is when he lets his hands go when he has his guy of the ropes, good body shots to. he'd be a decent prospect but without his size as you say he isnt guna beat the top guys.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down