The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a decent game of Rugby in your opinion.

+5
ChequeredJersey
thebluesmancometh
SecretFly
HammerofThunor
maestegmafia
9 posters

Go down

What is a decent game of Rugby in your opinion. Empty What is a decent game of Rugby in your opinion.

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Sep 2012, 1:09 pm

The start of every year we see so many games decried as "snore-fests", lack of tries due to poor handling, too much kicking, individual brilliance being of the few highlights rather than the cohesive team efforts we would rather experience.

Having attended Bath RFC vs Saints on Friday, a low try scoring typical early season match and watched the Dragons vs Blues match last night and the Sarries vs Tigers "Wembley Extravaganza" these games had similar qualities in abundance. Many on these boards have conveyed their dull appreciation.

Lacking tries, poor handling, masses of turnovers, poor scrums, but these games all raised the crowds as well as those heavily caffine dosed up arm chair fans. There was either a do or die finishing flourish or moments of individual brilliance to get us all excited.

Though I must admit the only time I jumped out of my chair this weekend was when Argentinas winger Imhoff escaped the Aussie defence, sprinting away finally passing inside for Caballo to score to take the lead in the Gold Coast RC match.

It's that moment we all watch the game for, when you helplessly leap in they air and irrationally shout with joy or derision at what you see before you.

As many a muddy low scoring penalty kicking winter match in murrayfield can be as exciting as a five try open RWC try fest.

Rugby is a diverse and great sport. As a professional sport it survives as a sustainable industry by providing these moments of losing your emotional control as a fan.

We crave a roller coaster, we desire entertainment be it athletic display or gladiatorial combat and rugby can give us it all.

What has got you jumping out of your seat in the stands or Arm chair at home...???

And is there more professional rugby can do to give you what you want..?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

What is a decent game of Rugby in your opinion. Empty Re: What is a decent game of Rugby in your opinion.

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:24 pm

A game with as few mistakes as possible. Whether it's forward play, back play or a mix of both. Defences breached due to clever play (including kicks over the top or grubbers) rather than ineffective tackling.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

What is a decent game of Rugby in your opinion. Empty Re: What is a decent game of Rugby in your opinion.

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

Passion... and enough skill to turn that passion into beauty.

You can have dirty heavyset games of forward grunt and muscle, you can have very, very slick attacking games. Both of those can be enjoyable in their own way but they can lack a lot of emotion too. When that extra ingredient of passion joins either kind of game, then you have something that gets the hairs of the back of your neck up, that has your stomach muscles so taut that you feel the workout 'soreness' an hour or two later.

I don't think you can pin down 'passion' though, I don't think it has anything to do with what is at stake or who the sides are. It just happens. A game at the weekend (Munster v Ulster) didn't offer much in expectancy. Beginning of the season, both teams trying to adapt to new head coaches, nothing big at stake yet.... and yet before our eyes it just kicked into action - it became a bit of a classic of blood, sweat and violent fury as the two sides released the brakes and went for it at top tempo.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:47 pm

I think both posts above say it all, none of those games you mention were any good, the wembley borefest had people yawning and when two poor teams came to do or die both players missed simple enough opportunities.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:52 pm

Got to agree with all the other posters here
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:44 pm

Underdogs raising their game and putting one over on a top team is normaly very enjoyable.

A mix of forward power n silky skills in the backs and like most have said - minimum errors!!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:49 pm

Aghhhh the underdog the ultimate champion, I forgot about him. Wonderfully victorious as both winner and narrow loser...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:52 pm

The sad truth is I'm enjoying the Mini rugby at half time more than watching the Ospreys play, seeing that shimmy that 7 year old Bridgend kid did to break through the Dunvant u8's defense at the Liberty stadium on Friday made that awful day worthwhile. While the jumping in the air with arms raised and the strut back made the entire east stand laugh.

I like invention and skill on the rugby field. Though I do love seeing howlers too.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm

Shifty wrote:The sad truth is I'm enjoying the Mini rugby at half time more than watching the Ospreys play, seeing that shimmy that 7 year old Bridgend kid did to break through the Dunvant u8's defense at the Liberty stadium on Friday made that awful day worthwhile. While the jumping in the air with arms raised and the strut back made the entire east stand laugh.

I like invention and skill on the rugby field. Though I do love seeing howlers too.

I remember seeing Cliff Morgan, who was about the same size as an eight year old, do that to an Aberavon backline, he sauntered under the post turned round to see raucous laughter of Bleddyn Williams and A winger I can't remember the name of...! Bleddyn acknowledged the skill with a nodding bow and Morgan shock his hand.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:A game with as few mistakes as possible. Whether it's forward play, back play or a mix of both. Defences breached due to clever play (including kicks over the top or grubbers) rather than ineffective tackling.
Pretty good answer that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:49 pm

Low scoring affairs can be just as exciting as high scoring ones. Its errors that require a stop in play that ruins games for me, and unfortunately they are often associated with low scoring games, giving them a rep as boring.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down