The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mack The knife

+4
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
BallchinianMuffwig
Jab to An MD
8 posters

Go down

Mack The knife Empty Mack The knife

Post by Jab to An MD Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:53 am

Matt 'Mack the knife' Macklin looked very impressive (albeit against smaller, limited opposition) in his one round blow out this weekend. Afterwords he proclaimed himself in a very funny thick brummy accent to be 'The most exiting Middleweight in the worrld bar Nunn.' Michael Nunn coincidendly retired 10 years ago and was unavailable for comment.

However where does ' Mack the knife' go from here, initial reports seem to suggest he will use his Irish heritage to play to the NYC crowd on St Patricks Day. I personally Believe Geale will be his opponent in a fight that is thouroughly winnable and would give him 2 titles and throw him right in the mix with the big boys. I personally beleiev he has a number on many of the international Middleweights. i Think he would be to coy/ powerful for Chavez, he would beat Sturm (again), whilst it would be interesting to throw him in with the other British boys (Barker and Murray, Saunders is too green) but i cannot see this happening untill after the St Patricks Day bout as their stock isnt great in the USA.

Pirog and Golovkin are also options but i would avoid these like the plague as they offer Litte Reward/High risk compared to those mentioned above.

In summary, i like Mack the Knife, as i do the Middleweight division on a whole. And this time next year i beleive (bar Martinez) he could be the best in the division.

Jab to An MD

Back to top Go down

Mack The knife Empty Re: Mack The knife

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:26 am

I like him too he's exciting and comes back well from defeats by the look of things. The move to New Yorks appeared to have done him great.
Not sure he'd beat Chavez though, it'd be a great firefight while it lasted but I reckon he'd eventually get stopped near the end, takes a hell of a lot of shots and his resistance isn't as strong as Jr's. He'd beat Geale, Sturm, Barker, and Murray no bother though.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:20 pm

I really like Macklin and rate him highest of the British trio and deserved to have had a world title. He is teak tough an has a very high workrate but showed vs Martinez that he can box on the backfoot behind a jab.

Geale is a soft champion (deserves it though) imo and will lose eventually. Macklin didnt deserve to lose vs sturm and probably won in as convincing fashion as Geale did but Macklin fought the better version

I said on another thread that I feel he has a great chance vs Chavez although might not be able to take his power for 12 rounds. Chavez has already struggled with 2 boxers who are limited but have high work rates in Zbik and Rubio, the former I had beating him. Chavez is very very tight at the weight and has poor stamina, and if Macklin can get inside and land the body shots he hit Sturm with without taking too much he will be in a good postion to ride Chavez late surge.

Golovkin would destroy Macklin inside 8. Golovkin is very accurate and throws every shot with power and boy does he have power. If Macklin engages he will be hurt and worn down quickly. Golovkin spars and knocks down light heavyweights and cruiser weights.

Pirog is an unknown quality but so far he looks as though he will be able to beat Macklin

Barker and Murray really don't hit very hard and won't be able to beat Macklin although barker's skill would make it tricky before he runs out of gas. I dont rate Murray highly and thought he lost narrowly to Sturm and Saunders would beat him in 6-12 months time if not now

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:40 pm

Its great to see a good decent Irish fighter in one of the hottest divisions in boxing.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:23 pm

i think barker would give macklin a run for his murray. their performances where comparible against martinez

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

They were Edd, but think Macklin has more power, he only fought Sergio that way because Martinez thrives on an opponents coming straight at him.

Not sure whether Barker has the power to stop Matt. Would be a decent lil scrap though and should be really easy to set up as Eddie and Lou (not the cops from the simpsons!!!) are good friends
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

Love to see him fight Murray and/or Barker. He had a great performance on Saturday, didn't expect it to be over that quick.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue 18 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

Barker's a walking disaster in terms of training injuries recently, up there with Mr Groves!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 8:59 pm

He was certainly exciting when he was knocked out by Martinez....

No not for me Jabmachine....

But would love to see him fight Barker!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

yeah murray definetly has the power edge, but if he can last 11 with sergio, you expect him to make it 12 with murray. he also has the better boxing skills.

i still havent been able to find barkers last fight, any links anybody?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:51 am

I've tended to rate Barker that wee bit higher than Macklin in the past, but with the Barnet man all over the shop in terms of injuries right now, the next twelve months could be ripe for Macklin to achieve his Middleweight world title dream (should have got there already, as he beat Sturm, but that's another story!).

Martinez, if he is to be believed, is a fight or two away from hanging them up, Chavez Jr must surely be going up to 168 lb eventually (I believe his remarkably low work rate on saturday night must, in part, be down to having to drag himself down from fourteen stone to make Middleweight, and besides, the WBC are looking for every reason to strip Ward and award that particular Super-Middleweight belt to anyone they see fit), and Geale, while a solid operator, is very much beatable.

Would have loved to have seen Macklin-Barker before either of them gets another world title shot, but with Barker out of action Macklin should be banging every possible door down for a fight with Geale, I think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down