The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports journalist Brian Woolnough dies after cancer fight

2 posters

Go down

Sports journalist Brian Woolnough dies after cancer fight Empty Sports journalist Brian Woolnough dies after cancer fight

Post by Fernando Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:49 pm

LEGENDARY sports writer Brian Woolnough has died after a long struggle with bowel cancer.

Tributes were paid to the “brilliant” journalist who worked at The Sun for 27 years and became chief football writer, before moving to the Daily Star.

Brian, 63, was also a fans' favourite on television, hosting Sky Sports’ Sunday Supplement from 2007 after previously being the presenter of Hold The Back Page from 1994.

His death comes only three months after the Daily Star’s chief football writer Danny Fullbrook passed away aged 40, also from cancer.

The Sun's editor Dominic Mohan said today: "Brian was a talented member of The Sun's staff for many years and a must-read for football fans.

"He became one of the most recognisable faces in sports journalism and will be very sadly missed by his former colleagues at The Sun - and by football supporters across Britain. Our thoughts are with his family."

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "It is very sad news. He was a good man, a good journalist, with a good personality.

“He asked good questions, sometimes too good! That is the nature of his industry. Our thoughts are with his family at this time.”

Brian began his career on The Esher News in Surrey then moved to the Evening Post in Hemel Hempstead before joining The Sun where he became chief football writer. He moved to the Daily Star in 2001 and was chief sports writer there.

He leaves behind wife Linda and three children.

Daily Star editor Dawn Neesom said: “Brian will be missed by everyone at the Daily Star. He was a brilliant sports writer, a huge character and above all a really nice bloke.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Linda, and family.”

Daily Star sports editor Howard Wheatcroft said: “Brian was the doyen of his generation of sports journalists, and had been the senior figure in football journalism for a long, long time.

“To my mind he also paved the way for journalists being called upon as pundits.

“When the era of rolling sports news began, such was his standing that he was in demand from virtually day one - and up until the end he was still the best of the lot.

“He was a big man in many ways, but he was never arrogant and had an incredible appetite for hard work.”

The Football Association also expressed their sympathy, saying: “The FA would like to send its condolences to the family of Brian Woolnough, Daily Star chief sports writer, who sadly passed away aged 63."

Source: Thesun

R.I.P

Always enjoyed what he had to say on Sunday Supplement OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Sports journalist Brian Woolnough dies after cancer fight Empty Re: Sports journalist Brian Woolnough dies after cancer fight

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:20 am

I've been hitting the gym every spare morning so I've not seen much Sunday Suppliment this season but noticed he wasn't on it two weeks ago, was unawre he was ill and didn't find out he'd died until I heard on TalkSport, real shame, he was a good journalist and one that actually spoke the fans game, he wasn't pretentious in his opinions, a failure of many a journo

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down