The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journalist Andy Howell has to go....!

+14
PenfroPete
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
mr-bryns-attitude
red_stag
glamorganalun
ospreylian
Londonwelsh
offload
Luckless Pedestrian
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Glas a du
Loki
maestegmafia
18 posters

Go down

Journalist Andy Howell has to go....! Empty Journalist Andy Howell has to go....!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:33 am

The man isnt a rugby pundit or a journalist, he isnt an expert or even an apparent lover of the game, he writes nothing but vile diatribe demeaning a proud and spectacular game into a nasty world of contemptuous gossip and spite.

Paul Turner had him ejected from a press conference, rightly so after some of the rubbish Howell had aimed at him over the years. Howell is almost solely to responsible for modern welsh rugbys blame culture and the end of man a good mans career.

I cant stand the guy, or his articles, and I hate the responses people give after reading his venomous tirades in the press.

Do you agree or disagree?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Journalist Andy Howell has to go....! Empty Re: Journalist Andy Howell has to go....!

Post by Loki Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:42 am

I wholeheartedly concur!

Loki

Back to top Go down

Journalist Andy Howell has to go....! Empty Re: Journalist Andy Howell has to go....!

Post by Glas a du Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:25 am

Agree.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:30 am

maestegmafia wrote:The man isnt a rugby pundit or a journalist, he isnt an expert or even an apparent lover of the game, he writes nothing but vile diatribe demeaning a proud and spectacular game into a nasty world of contemptuous gossip and spite.

Sorry is this about the Greyghost or Mikeyphil?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:02 am

I disagree that Andy Howell isn't a fan of the game - he clearly is; but he is indisputably a twit of the highest order. Plus he writes badly.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:06 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I disagree that Andy Howell isn't a fan of the game - he clearly is; but he is indisputably a twit of the highest order. Plus he writes badly.

Luckless

He writes well badly...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:06 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The man isnt a rugby pundit or a journalist, he isnt an expert or even an apparent lover of the game, he writes nothing but vile diatribe demeaning a proud and spectacular game into a nasty world of contemptuous gossip and spite.

Sorry is this about the Greyghost or Mikeyphil?

???

Sorry what ?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:09 am

A poor reflection on society when a half wit like Howell is able keep a job that he is clearly incompetent at and many intelligent youngsters can't get a start.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:15 am

Offload what on earth is that comment meant to mean?

Howell is not employed by society he is employed by the owner of a media group and recommended by an editor.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:24 am

Maesteg - I'm not makeing some big political point I was in a rush and chose the wrong word! - my beef is with those that keep him in a job not "society"
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

Agree with the OP, can't stand Howell, his writing is awful, for the life of me can't see why he's still in a job.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler - was that really necessary?

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:26 am

Oh dear. I must be the only one who likes Andy Howell then Whistle The worst rugby writer in the Western Fail has got to be Delme Parfitt. That man has absolutely no idea about rugby at all. The article he wrote about the Blues Scott Andrews summed it up for me.
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:31 am

What was the gist of it, Londonwelsh?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:38 am

Today on Howells BS watch...

"Ma' Nonu Linked with Ospreys", an article based around one fact. Ma' nonu will not be at the Canes next season. NO ONE says that he has even heard of the Ospreys.

Including the phrase "controversial departure of Mike Phillips" nothing controversial there, he wanted to leave and they wanted him to go...

"Wales warned Samoa are planning a World Cup ambush"article

An article about Wales not standing a chance at the world cup based on two quotes by "feisty Samoa lock Iosefa Tekori"

“We’re looking forward to competing at the World Cup. It’s going to be tough and we’re not going to take a backward step,” Tekori

“It’s going to be a good opportunity for us to go through. The Springboks have the strength and are favourites to win the group but we will be fighting to join them,” Tekori

How can a thousand word article be constructed based around one or two misplaced quotes with no context.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:40 am

I saw that too, maestegmafia. 'Ma'a Nonu Linked with Ospreys' - yes, by you, Andy! Doh

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:40 am

"I’m also talking about people like Scott Andrews –World Cup participation notwithstanding – the tighthead prop who’s had a taste of the Test environment this season but who has also been taught a few lessons, not least by Adam Jones in the first Blues-Ospreys derby of the season at Cardiff City Stadium on New Year’s Day"http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/04/06/dai-banks-on-young-guns-to-fire-blues-91466-28467464/
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

The BBC are just as guilty, how many times have we read articles that are based on hearsay and not fact...

It is such poor editing...

I worked in media for many years and any journalist with such a non structured article, based on personal hype and sensationalism would haver been laughed away from the coffee machine.

Bring back well rounded real journalism, with facts, constructed by people who understand what the viewer is interested in and why.

I may apply for the editorship of the Wail if it comes up to show these clowns the correct way.

Yours Sincerely

V. Angry of Glyncorrwg

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

V. Angry of Glyncorrwg

Calm down just console yourself with the fact the AH just CANNOT get the job he craves...................headline writer for the SUN!

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

What does everybody expect, the WM has 3 rugby writers trying to dig up stories or fact for every day of the week with only four teams and Wales to cover, there is going to be speculation stories putting two and two together to make five. These guys are just like many on this forum stating their opinions when their are short of news, but the WM should say the story is speculation or based certain evidence.

Happy reading!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:20 pm

glamorganalun wrote:What does everybody expect, the WM has 3 rugby writers trying to dig up stories or fact for every day of the week with only four teams and Wales to cover, there is going to be speculation stories putting two and two together to make five. These guys are just like many on this forum stating their opinions when their are short of news, but the WM should say the story is speculation or based certain evidence.

Happy reading!

Brilliant comment. Some of the comments here are just silly. Its his job to generate discussion on Welsh rugby using the bits of info available.

Samoa player talks up his team - the logical thing to do is to play up fact they will be playing Wales and eager to win. Discuss their chances. Article written.

Ma'a Nonu is on the move - Ospreys are a big club. Entertain the idea of him of him moving there.

In reality its no different than what we do.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

Londonwelsh wrote:"I’m also talking about people like Scott Andrews –World Cup participation notwithstanding – the tighthead prop who’s had a taste of the Test environment this season but who has also been taught a few lessons, not least by Adam Jones in the first Blues-Ospreys derby of the season at Cardiff City Stadium on New Year’s Day"http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/04/06/dai-banks-on-young-guns-to-fire-blues-91466-28467464/

He didn't say specifically at the scrim did he?

I know what you mean though. His answer to the Welsh regions problems in the WOS? Marquee signings! Rick head
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

There is more to Welsh rugby then just the regions and national side. Can't they discuss the welsh premiership, grass roots rugby etc? there's enough out there for them to find issues/stories to write without resorting to wild speculation. It's lazy journalism.

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:24 pm

shame we can't turn over the all blacks once in a while,he would have enough material to keep him going for a month! and we would all be more than happy to read it. Very Happy

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

Glas a du wrote:
Londonwelsh wrote:"I’m also talking about people like Scott Andrews –World Cup participation notwithstanding – the tighthead prop who’s had a taste of the Test environment this season but who has also been taught a few lessons, not least by Adam Jones in the first Blues-Ospreys derby of the season at Cardiff City Stadium on New Year’s Day"http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/04/06/dai-banks-on-young-guns-to-fire-blues-91466-28467464/

He didn't say specifically at the scrim did he?

I know what you mean though. His answer to the Welsh regions problems in the WOS? Marquee signings! Rick head

He doesnt have to. He's obviously referring to the scrum. Except there are 2 issues with this

1. Scott Andrews would not have faced Adam Jones in the scrum as they are both tightheads and on opposite ends of the scrum. Doh

2. Scott Andrews did not even play that match so how an earth could Adam Jones who's a tighthead even teach him a lesson in the first place! The front row was Jenkins, Thomas, & Filise. Scott Andrews was not even on the bench! Doh

Parfitt has no knowledge of Welsh Rugby at all and this just proves it. Andy Howell gets a lot stick mostly from Dragons fans due to his no nonsense criticism of the region in the Paul Turner era and rightly so as well. He'll be more kinder to them in the Darren Edwards era I think as they seem to be turning the corner.

Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:14 am

Londonwelsh wrote:

1. Scott Andrews would not have faced Adam Jones in the scrum as they are both tightheads and on opposite ends of the scrum. Doh

2. Scott Andrews did not even play that match so how an earth could Adam Jones who's a tighthead even teach him a lesson in the first place! The front row was Jenkins, Thomas, & Filise. Scott Andrews was not even on the bench! Doh

Parfitt has no knowledge of Welsh Rugby at all and this just proves it.

That really is poor. For him not to know the facts is bad enough, but for him not even to have bothered to check - or for his editor not to notice how wrong he was - says a lot about the standards of rugby journalism in the self-proclaimed 'national newspaper of Wales.'

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Lets face it the whole of the western mail writters like to do exactly what we do on here and either start or spread rumours. And what i find funny is the timings of the rumours, like before a big match etc.

I have the sports section of the Wales On Sunday (or was it the fail?) from the first weekend of the season, and laugh at it quite often, where they slagged the Scarlets into a heap for losing last moment to Treviso.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

Tell you what though. Like him or not Andy Howell is on the money with this article. I find very little to disagree with here

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/06/16/analysis-what-future-for-welsh-rugby-after-wales-under-20s-ship-92-points-against-new-zealand-91466-28886405/
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 14 Jul 2014, 12:07 am

Agreed.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 15 Jul 2014, 1:42 pm

Andy Howell is the devil , currently billed as the Fail's "Cycling Correspondent" Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 15 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm

The sooner people accept the role of the 'antagonist' journalist in today's society, the sooner they can calm down and have a nice cup of tea Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 Jul 2014, 3:43 pm

Did anyone see the article about the RRW press release last week that started by listing sick and seriously ill players, and then went into a whole load of anti RRW venom? The WRU/RRW spat has nothing to do with the injury sustained by Owen Williams, or Rhys Thomas' heart condition, or Matthew Watkins cancer etc. What sort of a human being would decide that is a good tool to use for leverage in a matter that is not related.

It is quite frightening how poor he is, after all these years.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:37 am

Nonu's moved back to the Canes so wrong there.

There's a funny audio clip online somewhere where Graham Henry's giving an interview to media in Wales and he's like "Oh you're still here? I thought someone would've shot you by now".

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm

disneychilly wrote:Nonu's moved back to the Canes so wrong there.

There's a funny audio clip online somewhere where Graham Henry's giving an interview to media in Wales and he's like "Oh you're still here? I thought someone would've shot you by now".

I knew I liked Graham Henry
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 28 Jul 2014, 4:29 pm

Journo's go down the controversial route in order to get themselves a name. That is great in the short term, but players and management won't give them any stories after a while as they see their words being twisted. So eventually those journo's become a parody of themselves and just regurgitate the same sh!te over and over hoping a snappy editor can continue to make catchy headlines out of the tripe submitted.............. wait, or is that me on here?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:49 am

Has anyone actualy heard him speak? Grates more than his 'journalism'.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down