The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Degale.

+12
manos de piedra
azania
davidemore
Rodney
OasisBFC
ShahenshahG
Rowley
owen10ozzy
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
JabMachineMK2
Seanusarrilius
hampo17
16 posters

Go down

James Degale. Empty James Degale.

Post by hampo17 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:53 pm

Finally got his wish and has left Warren. Signed with Mick Hennessy and will be back in the ring October 31st. Surprised Matchroom haven't snapped him up, obviously took note of his dummy spit with Warren.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

James Degale. Empty Re: James Degale.

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:56 pm

Dear God! He signed with Hennessy. That's like swapping Polio for Tuberculosis

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:57 pm

Oh dear....

Eubank Jr will be fed to him soon.

He should have gone with Hearn. Bad move James.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:00 pm

Don't like hennessy or his shows/opponent choices but as far as building a fanbase, something degale has struggled for due to faults of his own, channel 5 is a good move and will get him good exposure, moreso than boxnation

Good luck to him, I like his style and had him beating groves by a round but leaving warren on such terms completely removes the possibility of a groves rematch now or ever as warren is one to hold a grudge

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:12 pm

Hearn would not go near him with a barge pole...

They are an intelligent family and know he would bring nothing but trouble for them.

I have never rated DeGale as highly as some people seem to. For me he is another by product of the now defunct adage that a Gold Medal means success in the amateur ranks.

He lacks the intelligence to look beyond his faults and solve them, believing he genuinely is world class right now.

If he had any sense at all he would get himself off the radar (though I think he kind of is now given the previous 18 months)...get a new trainer...Iron out some major flaws and rebuild again.

Instead I think he will soon be attempting to get his face everywhere...he has the European title so I imagine he can't be matched to easily which means him being fastracked quicker than I think the guy is ready for.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:13 pm

Hennessy must offer huge money upfront because anyone cn see he is a terribble promoter. Only have to look at his website to see that

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

One does have to wonder if the twitter spat with Eubank Jnr was not a cynical attempt to create a rivalry where there is no natural one with an eye on them both being in the same stable. However am not convinced Mick is quite that cunning

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

I think hennesy takes a smaller cut - which is probably why channel 5 can afford him and his stable and why he manages to pick up decent talents while being almost useless himself

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:01 pm

rowley wrote:One does have to wonder if the twitter spat with Eubank Jnr was not a cynical attempt to create a rivalry where there is no natural one with an eye on them both being in the same stable. However am not convinced Mick is quite that cunning

agreed. i'd definitely watch it.
channel 5's coverage isnt bad at all. no gimmicks, no frills, just the fights.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:04 pm

Rowley - Too much time on your hands coming up with things like that. That would fall under conspiracy theory given Mick's massive lack of intellect...the man is simply not capable of thinking like that...

However forward on your idea and maybe he will give you a slice of the profits if he ever makes 'Battle of Britain'....fight card featuring a bout between those two...Fury vs Price....Quigg/Frampton vs Kid Galahad!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:19 pm

OasisBFC wrote:
rowley wrote:One does have to wonder if the twitter spat with Eubank Jnr was not a cynical attempt to create a rivalry where there is no natural one with an eye on them both being in the same stable. However am not convinced Mick is quite that cunning

agreed. i'd definitely watch it.
channel 5's coverage isnt bad at all. no gimmicks, no frills, just the fights.

And with Al Bernstein, the best boxing commentator about these days, the only one I can barely listen too. Sorry to go off topic, but as I mentioned commentry, does anyone know whatever happened to Ian Darke, did he take his pension, or reduced hours ? The only worthwhile British one since old Reg IMO.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:15 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Dear God! He signed with Hennessy. That's like swapping Polio for Tuberculosis

hahaaha!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:45 pm

I see it as a decent move for him. He'll get more exposure on C5 than on BN. As he is a euro champ, it can propel him to better things. I can see Groves leaving Frank also. A rematch between the 2 will be a huge sell.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

Could be an alright stop gap move. Get a few fights and mainstream exposure with Hennessy and leave him sharpish when you want to start progressing to world level. Hennessy looks like he sleeps in his car wearing his only suit.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm

I dont think Degale was wrong or spitting his dummy out like people said, when leaving Warren..

Warren has too many fighters and just focus's on the fighter of the day.. Degale was unlucky to lose to Groves and I though Warren steaming in to get Groves as well was not really very ethical and did not show a very good loyalty... its not as if Degale had one shot too many and was out boxed... it was his 11th pro fight against the other top talent and the fight was very close..

Also Degale was not fighting enough, he should be fighting 4 -5 times a year.

We don't really know what was said in his meetings to really judge, Hennessy does not have a huge stable which means he can put more into the fighters he does have.

Now to see who ends up managing Degale.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

DeGale was never gonna build a fanbase fighting twice a year against taxi drivers on a fringe subscription channel (like Cleverly is doing). At least with Hennessey he'll get a wider audience. I think he's a really skilled fighter that needs some rough edges working off. He could still do a lot with his career, he's been stalling for too long - he needs to get moving and this is a step in the right direction.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri 21 Sep 2012, 2:11 am

I think its a pretty decent move for De Gale.. ok Hennessy is a tube but its not as if DeGale takes much imagination to promote.... On Ch 5, his apparent ego will no doubt have been massaged by the face he will no doubt be headlining shows... Wouldnt surprise me if Hennessy has told him he will be his main man with question marks over Fury etc.

Really wouldn't surprise me to see JDG in with the likes of Patrick Mendy in October to try and look good before the winner of Anderson and Reid. With the view to a shot at Balsazy's WBA paper belt.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

*delete*

Keeps telling me forum was too busy to send , then when i repost it posts twice..

Last edited by tunes666 on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:05 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:DeGale was never gonna build a fanbase fighting twice a year against taxi drivers on a fringe subscription channel (like Cleverly is doing). At least with Hennessey he'll get a wider audience. I think he's a really skilled fighter that needs some rough edges working off. He could still do a lot with his career, he's been stalling for too long - he needs to get moving and this is a step in the right direction.

Wow, fighting taxi drivers? The guy was fighting euro level after about 9 fights and is euro champ at 13 fights.. The guy should be fighting taxi drivers but is not.

Thing is with gold medal winners, while you have loads of opertunities paved for you, there is also huge pressure.

I agree he needs to be fighting more and needs to work harder at building a fan base... PR has been pretty poor

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

alanqlm wrote:Hennessy is a tube

Excellent!

I have a new word to call people now.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 3:00 pm

tunes666 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:DeGale was never gonna build a fanbase fighting twice a year against taxi drivers on a fringe subscription channel (like Cleverly is doing). At least with Hennessey he'll get a wider audience. I think he's a really skilled fighter that needs some rough edges working off. He could still do a lot with his career, he's been stalling for too long - he needs to get moving and this is a step in the right direction.

Wow, fighting taxi drivers? The guy was fighting euro level after about 9 fights and is euro champ at 13 fights.. The guy should be fighting taxi drivers but is not.

Think SBS' point was that's what he would be doing if he stayed with Warren, thus citing Clev as an example.

I'm in agreement with the majority I think, not a bad move for a guy with such low popularity and fan-base after such a stagnant period. Get him 4-5 fights, lots of viewers, build some fan traction then move on if necessary.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 21 Sep 2012, 3:03 pm

He can only build up a fan base if he wins impressively. he can spout whatever he likes so long as he backs it up. People like winners who look good (Brits are used to losers and like them, -Bruno-so I may be wrong)

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 21 Sep 2012, 3:25 pm

Degale needs to really turn it on in the ring,because outside he is a PR disaster

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Degale needs to really turn it on in the ring,because outside he is a PR disaster

I agree and what makes it worse is I think he is a pretty nice guy.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri 21 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm

Glad ya liked it JabMachine... its a pretty common insult in Northern Ireland. Feel free to use in appropriately.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down