The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Youriokis Gamboa what now?

+2
Liam_Main
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
6 posters

Go down

Youriokis Gamboa what now? Empty Youriokis Gamboa what now?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:09

If P4P top 10s were done on ability alone Gamboa would be top 3 of my list. But after seeing Juanma Lopez lose to a guy Gamboa looked levels above in Odlando Salido it leaves me to wonder where does the cuban go from here?
Apart from John their doesn't seem to be any other fight their Lopez will need to rebuild he never looked good.
Don't see him being able to step down to Super Bantamweight he is quite big at Featherweight their aren't any big fights their for him anyway.
Super Featherweight is another poor division with 2 Japanese fighters who don't leave Japan. Mzonke Fana is 37 and won't leave Africa he makes good money their. Ricky Burns is a no name champ who couldn't go 2 rounds with a star like Gamboa.
Lightweight looks to be his best option but is jumping up a big risk or would his tremendous skills and power carry him past most?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Youriokis Gamboa what now? Empty Re: Youriokis Gamboa what now?

Post by Liam_Main Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:16

Gamboa should fight Chris John hes undefeated aswell as Gamboa in 40 odd fights,John even beat prime Juan Ma marquez after that fight move up to super feath win a few belts there and move up again to lightweight.For me Gamboas already a P4P top 10 his skills and hand speed are amazing and has alot of power.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:18

I have him in my top 10 P4P list the problem with super featherweight is their is no one to fight imagine him fighting Ricky Burns?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:23

Theres an undefeated Japan fighter called Takashi Uchiyama 17-0 15 KO's don't think hes fought out of Japan before but seems a good fighter if he could drag him into fighting in america or at least somewhere not in Japan where it won't be biased judging.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:27

Their is 2 Japanese champs Uchiyama and Ao neither have fought outside of Japan and aren't known names in America so wouldn't sell. Think it would need to be lightweight. How do you see him getting on Against Soto, Guerrero, Rios, Marquez or even Katsidis.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:30

Gamboa vs Katsidis now that would a good fight.Comfortable win over Soto in my eyes Rios too but Marquez and Guerrero now they would be close fights Guerrero I can see him winning against not sure about Marquez.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:37

Katsidis, Rios and Soto walk right into his hands and get taken out early. Guerrero is a big lightweight and can fight on the outside but was troubled by Katsidis at times so could only see Gamboa knocking him out late. Marquez struggled against Mayweather. Gamboa is the closest to Mayweather around at the moment in terms of style. Marquez would struggle to find him if he carries that speed up to Lightweight he can take punches but Gamboa would stop him late in that fight as well imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:44

Guerrero being the taller man could do what he did against Katsidis just stay on the outside for 12 rounds not let Gamboa hit him on the inside that could be a problem.Marquez isn't too bad against fast opponents though take the Manny fight as a example but Marquez is getting on now hasn't got many fights left in him Gamboa would probably win by late stoppage,a reckon Gamboas top 5 P4P in a few years or even number 1.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:52

Guerrero was getting caught by Katsidis though think it was th 10th round when Katsidis had a lot of joy going to the body. Think Gamboa might just be a bit to slick and quick for him to fight on the outside.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 23:54

Yeah I think it was and the ref stupidly deducted points of him,madness.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 0:00

He did twice which stopped Katsidis from doing it again in case he got disqualified and it was the most joy he had during the fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 0:02

The most joy he had in to be fair a very one sided fight.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 0:05

It was but he did catch Guerrero with a lot of good shots and don't think he would get away with that against Gamboa but it would be great to watch. I love watching Gamboa guys that talented don't come along often.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 0:13

Gamboa is right up there. Bob Arums plans fell apart las night - nobody wanted to wait til 2012 except Bob.

Lopez can come back and its still a fight many want to see.

Funniest thing is Salido is now the No.1 in the division according to Boxrec. How do they figure that out lol.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 0:17

It's boxrec who knows. Gamboa looked levels above Salido when they fought. The lopez fight is still possible but he has said he is taking some time off then he will rebuild. Could be nearly 2 years before that fight is on the cards again don't see Gamboa hanging about for him when their is big fights at other weights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 0:25

prettyboy1304 wrote:It's boxrec who knows. Gamboa looked levels above Salido when they fought. The lopez fight is still possible but he has said he is taking some time off then he will rebuild. Could be nearly 2 years before that fight is on the cards again don't see Gamboa hanging about for him when their is big fights at other weights.

How do Boxrec know? Its computersed. How does Salido rank above Gamboa?

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 0:39

WelshDevilRob wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:It's boxrec who knows. Gamboa looked levels above Salido when they fought. The lopez fight is still possible but he has said he is taking some time off then he will rebuild. Could be nearly 2 years before that fight is on the cards again don't see Gamboa hanging about for him when their is big fights at other weights.

How do Boxrec know? Its computersed. How does Salido rank above Gamboa?

It's probably down to the fact he has more fights and a few more wins at the top level. Don't think they use ability in their rankings.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 10:30

WelshDevilRob wrote:Gamboa is right up there. Bob Arums plans fell apart las night - nobody wanted to wait til 2012 except Bob.

Lopez can come back and its still a fight many want to see.

Funniest thing is Salido is now the No.1 in the division according to Boxrec. How do they figure that out lol.

Think he would have booked it for October if Lopez won. Arum was thinking this would be a good win for Lopez, Salido was well beaten by Gamboa and the fight was in Puerto Rico nobody seen that coming. But the fight should have been made Gamboa vs Solis was a mismatch.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 10:51

Hopefully we get Gamboa v John next, that's by far the best fight in the division now.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 19:28

dont know where he goes from here but think gamboa is probably one of the most exciting boxers atm. maybe he goes to japan and fights over there? would be one sided but i would enjoy watching burns vs gamboa

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 21:54

eddyfightfan wrote:dont know where he goes from here but think gamboa is probably one of the most exciting boxers atm. maybe he goes to japan and fights over there? would be one sided but i would enjoy watching burns vs gamboa

To be fair to Ricky I like him But he would be lucky to go a round with Gamboa.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 22:00

Arum mentioned Chris John as an opponent in the Autumn and hopefully that can happen.

Maybe a match-up against the winner of the WBA fight between Caballero and Barros. Though I'm sure the WBA won't push for it.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 22:01

Gamboa's a wonderful fighter, one of the purest talents I've seen in a long time - but for me, there's no rush to leave Featherweight. Chris John is obviously an ideal fight, but I'm also not sure why some are suddenly acting as if the much-touted bout with Lopez is suddenly out of the question. Lopez's loss doesn't mean that the fight isn't still the one most would like to see ahead of any other at 126 lb. There's plenty of options at Featherweight still, and absolutely no reason for Gamboa to be contemplating moving up right now - and certainly not as high as Lightweight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 22:06

88Chris05 wrote:Gamboa's a wonderful fighter, one of the purest talents I've seen in a long time - but for me, there's no rush to leave Featherweight. Chris John is obviously an ideal fight, but I'm also not sure why some are suddenly acting as if the much-touted bout with Lopez is suddenly out of the question. Lopez's loss doesn't mean that the fight isn't still the one most would like to see ahead of any other at 126 lb. There's plenty of options at Featherweight still, and absolutely no reason for Gamboa to be contemplating moving up right now - and certainly not as high as Lightweight.

Lopez has said he won't fight again this year he's taking som time off. Is Gamboa meant to sit about and wait on him? Gamboa didn't turn pro until he was 26 so is in a hurry to get big fights on.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 22:14

The original plan for Lopez was Salido then a Marquez rematch and then move up a division. Arum had no intentions of making a Gamboa fight this year.
Rumours had been going around that Lopez puts on alot of weight between bouts and that could be a reason for his performance on saturday.

I can't see Arum making the Gamboa vs Lopez fight now as he will want to build Lopez back up.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 22:23

Who was he going to fight at SFW? It's an awful weight would have understood if Martinez was a title holder because he is Puerto Rican but he lost his title to Burns last year and hasn't fought since.
The only decent fight a SFW just now for Gamboa is John but apart from that he would need make a step up to LW he wants big fights with big money and their is a few good ones their. Soto, Rios, Guerrero and Marquez.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 22:44

prettyboy1304 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Gamboa's a wonderful fighter, one of the purest talents I've seen in a long time - but for me, there's no rush to leave Featherweight. Chris John is obviously an ideal fight, but I'm also not sure why some are suddenly acting as if the much-touted bout with Lopez is suddenly out of the question. Lopez's loss doesn't mean that the fight isn't still the one most would like to see ahead of any other at 126 lb. There's plenty of options at Featherweight still, and absolutely no reason for Gamboa to be contemplating moving up right now - and certainly not as high as Lightweight.

Lopez has said he won't fight again this year he's taking som time off. Is Gamboa meant to sit about and wait on him? Gamboa didn't turn pro until he was 26 so is in a hurry to get big fights on.

I don't think that waiting until 2012 is going to be too disasterous for Gamboa - as I said, there's a fight with John to be made, Caballero becomes an option (and it's a very attractive potential fight) if he gets past Barros, which I think he will. Gamboa should have no problems keeping himself busy until 2012 and beyond. He may be twenty-nine, but he's an extremely 'young' twenty-nine year old. The recognition and claims of greatness he'd receive from cleaning out what is a very good Featherweight division far outweight what he'd gain from dropping down to 122 lb or delving in to a Super-Featherweight division which isn't exactly brimming with world class fighters.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 23:53

88Chris05 wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:

I don't think that waiting until 2012 is going to be too disasterous for Gamboa - as I said, there's a fight with John to be made, Caballero becomes an option (and it's a very attractive potential fight) if he gets past Barros, which I think he will. Gamboa should have no problems keeping himself busy until 2012 and beyond. He may be twenty-nine, but he's an extremely 'young' twenty-nine year old. The recognition and claims of greatness he'd receive from cleaning out what is a very good Featherweight division far outweight what he'd gain from dropping down to 122 lb or delving in to a Super-Featherweight division which isn't exactly brimming with world class fighters.

It's not disasterous but he shouldn't be hanging around waiting on Juanma to get out his sulk because he lost and get back in the gym. Another problem is Arum, Juanma has already been exposed we all knew he could be hit quite easily but his chin has been exposed to be less than solid. Arum will wrap him in cotton wool for a while. Gamboa imo is 2nd in pure boxing ability to only Mayweather in the world right now. He should get big fights with the top guys. He is quite big at featherweight so can't see him being affected to much by a step up. Rios, Marquez, Guerrero and possibly Marquez are more marketable fights than any he can have at featherweight just now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down