The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gamboa vs Garcia

+4
AlexHuckerby
TopHat24/7
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
bellchees
8 posters

Go down

Gamboa vs Garcia Empty Gamboa vs Garcia

Post by bellchees Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:43 am

Just a quick one here, who wins if this fight is made for later in the year?

I'm not sure if Gamboa intends to stay at Lightweight where he fought last or come back down to Super Featherweight where Garcia is moving into but hopefully this fight can get made as it would be a cracker. On current form you would favour Garcia but I suspect a bit like Rigo we won't see the best of Gamboa until he's in with a top class operator, a bit of fighting to the level of the opponent.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Gamboa vs Garcia Empty Re: Gamboa vs Garcia

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:05 pm

Gamboa wants to fight the big names hence the jump up in weight but he just hasn't looked as effective since the move up so I doubt he will go any higher than Lightweight and will be open to SFW

Who wins, not sure, Gamboa is a lot different a fighter than Salido or Lopez. Both of those are come forward fighters who like offence but slightly neglect defence. Garcia could land his jab at will and was allowed to counter as Lopez and Salido like to lead 

Gamboa is very unorthodox, slick Cuban skills, great handspeed, power but can look a bit lazy. He keeps his distance pretty well and while he can be countered when throwing wild combo's in exchanges, he's hard to pin down and you'll take some to land you're own

Garcia may be bigger, but I'm not sure he can dominate from the middle of the ring as Gamboa will try to dart in and out and won't stay upright so will take away Garcia's jab

Its interesting, but I'd go with Gamboa by UD or late TKO if Garcia starts to get reckless if he's chasing the fight. Right now its the biggest fight out there at SFW with Garcia looking like he's outgrown featherweight and Gamboa looking less than impressive at lightweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:19 pm

Would be a great match-up.

Garcia has just nudged ahead of Gamboa for me now, got to be c. p9/p10 in the p4p stakes. Absolutely class fighter, excellent counter punch with devasting power and great finishing ability - never seems to let anyone off the hook.

Given Gamboa's looked poor (by his standards) at LW I think it has to be at SFW. However Mikey hits like a train and Gamboa's been getting caught a lot recently - if Garcia catches him he won't be let off. That said we don't know the full extent of Garcia's whiskers yet as he's been such a destructive force so far.

Think it'll be a very cagey fight, but someone will get caught and if Garcia has a Mexican chin I'd back him to recover/hold-on better whereas Gamboa will get finished off.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm

Garcia's been caught a couple of times in fights, but never looked wobbled from what I've seen.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:49 pm

Salido caught Garcia a few times late on, and Salido can certainly punch, so I'd say its unlikely there are any chin isssues.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Jun 2013, 7:00 pm

Mexican chin, better not let Az see you say that, didn't you know that Canelo's chinny!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:29 pm

Having an ok chin doesn't mean Gamboa can't stop you though or drop you

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gamboa has either stopped or dropped every opponent he's been in with

We haven't seen Garcia against anyone who's faster than him or a fighter who has a good defence

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm

I don't think he has since he's moved up in weight?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:42 pm

Farenas went down im sure, in the 2nd I think, and I'm pretty sure the last guy hit the floor also, although it was half a slip, a punch did land and he went down without complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:53 pm

his last 2 fights were such dross I might well have nodded off at those points......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:55 pm

Thought the Farenas one was alright to be fair, just feel like Gamoa isn't trying at times is the problem.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:09 pm

Now this really would be a fight to get excited over. Here's hoping that Gamboa can trim off a few lb and get down to 130 to make it happen.

As Alex just alluded to, I still get the impression that we've not yet really seen the best of Gamboa. He's looked a bit vulnerable lately, especially against Farenas (although in fairness, he did answer any questions over his grit and determination in that fight, as the left hook in close which put him over would have done for a few other Lightweights) and as if his over-reliance on being the quicker man might end up being his downall, but we were saying the same about Rigondeaux before he boxed Donaire.

Obviously, Rigondeaux was able to raise his game and keep a cool head when presented with a challenge which required his full focus and a nigh-on perfect display, and I think (and hope) that Gamboa can do likewise.

I always think that speed is so precious in boxing - look at how clueless Roy Jones looked when his left him. Garcia has some speed, don't get me wrong, but Gamboa has a lot more of it, and Garcia isn't the best mover, either. I think I'd probably go with Gamboa by decision.

It's a fight I'd love to see, though.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Thought the Farenas one was alright to be fair, just feel like Gamoa isn't trying at times is the problem.

George Groves was saying similar on Twitter:

"Gamboa is pure class.....But he reminds me of the genius kid at school who pisses about and ends up failing because it's all too easy for him!"

What genius kids require is serious challenge - which Mikey Garcia would be by the bucket-load!!

Could be the fight where we see the best of Gamboa.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Now this really would be a fight to get excited over. Here's hoping that Gamboa can trim off a few lb and get down to 130 to make it happen.

As Alex just alluded to, I still get the impression that we've not yet really seen the best of Gamboa. He's looked a bit vulnerable lately, especially against Farenas (although in fairness, he did answer any questions over his grit and determination in that fight, as the left hook in close which put him over would have done for a few other Lightweights) and as if his over-reliance on being the quicker man might end up being his downall, but we were saying the same about Rigondeaux before he boxed Donaire.

Obviously, Rigondeaux was able to raise his game and keep a cool head when presented with a challenge which required his full focus and a nigh-on perfect display, and I think (and hope) that Gamboa can do likewise.

I always think that speed is so precious in boxing - look at how clueless Roy Jones looked when his left him. Garcia has some speed, don't get me wrong, but Gamboa has a lot more of it, and Garcia isn't the best mover, either. I think I'd probably go with Gamboa by decision.

Do you think?

I thought his footwork/movement was really rather good on the weekend. He gave Khan a lesson in how to effectively evade a come-forward fighter.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:34 pm

I'm not so sure myself, TopHat. I'm not saying that Garcia fights stiff, don't get me wrong, but Lopez is a bit more predicable and pedestrian than Gamboa and I can see the Cuban being a little too hard to pin down for Garcia's taste.

Nothing against Garcia, mind you. I really enjoy watching him and at twenty-five it's entirely possible that he might still have more to show us, too. Just think that Gamboa has the edges in this one, but I'd much rather see it and know for sure than speculate!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

I think Garcia is looking at Roman Martinez for his next fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:24 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I think Garcia is looking at Roman Martinez for his next fight.

I heard that. Would take it as a 130 tune-up before either Gamboa (at 130) or a hop to 135 for better competition (would back him to pick up Burn's strap comfortably).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:41 pm

Technically Gamboa is a lightweight so Martinez is the only big name at 130 around atm and always comes to fight and is Puerto Rican so you know it would sell well

Would be interesting to see how Garcia deals with the styles of guys like Crawford, Abril and Vasquez (and the guy who Burns last beat) who are very unorthodox and slippery while he (and Burns) are very textbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:50 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Now this really would be a fight to get excited over. Here's hoping that Gamboa can trim off a few lb and get down to 130 to make it happen.

???

And to think, it was only just a couple of weeks ago Chris was accusing ghosty of sour grapes. 

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down