The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hatton V Katsidis ??

+12
BoxingFan88
88Chris05
TheMackemMawler
BoomBoomBaby
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Seanusarrilius
School Project
ShahenshahG
paperbag_puncher
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
Rodney
16 posters

Go down

Hatton V Katsidis ?? Empty Hatton V Katsidis ??

Post by Rodney Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:20 pm

Just a quick one, seen a few media sources quoting Michael Katsidis as the likely foe in Hattons comeback in November.

What's everyone's thoughts on this ? Good choice ? Disappointing Choice ?

Can see why Katsidis makes sense, a marketable name known over here and in the States, something not too high risk, or shouldn't be. Will bring absolute war to Hatton, giving him invaluable rounds.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Hatton V Katsidis ?? Empty Ricky Hatton vs Michael Katsidis - November 24th

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:22 pm

Rumours of Hattons opponent have been released and it appears the Gladiator is the likely opponent.

Thoughts??

Think this should be an absolute war!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Hatton V Katsidis ?? Empty Re: Hatton V Katsidis ??

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm

Would be a lot easier than the others mentioned and katsidis has fallen far enough that he shouldn't be a real threat

Katsidis is far from the fighter he was and after war after war he has fallen far. He is still aggressive so should be a good fight as Hatton fights one way, but he doesn't carry the same level of intensity he once fought at and doesn't carry any real power over 135.

Whether its 140 or 147 Hatton will be the bigger guy and katsidis punch resistance is weakening with every fight. It also tests his stamina as it'll be a high tempo fight while it lasts

Good opponent as a yard stick to where hes at and katsidis deserves a big payday to finish his career that has thrilled so many

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

Pretty much agree with every thing you said WHU, shrewd matchmaking.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

Katsidis has really slipped recently but I don't see how people think that makes it a guaranteed win for Ricky. If Katsidis has slipped then how far has Hatton slipped by not fighting in the last 3 and a half years and being about 4 stone overweight?

Katsidis has fought 7 times since Hatton 'retired' so has the edge in fitness/sharpness and theres no shame in losing to the likes of JMM, Guerrero and Burns. But he is the smaller man, with no real power at the weight, greatly reduced punch resistance and nowhere near the fighter he was when theis fight was being mentioned after the Mitchell fight. I hope Katsidis smashes him to be honest if it happens. I don't like this kind of cherry picking from someone who made such a big deal of only wanting to fight the best etc. I realise that he needs a tune up and cant jump straight in against a Tim Bradley etc but this match making just seems a bit fraudulent or something to me.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 23 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

I share your misgivings PP but he needs a name and Katsidis is a fan favourite. I find it encouraging that he isnt going into this blindly but appears to be taking note of his limitations.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 23 Sep 2012, 1:14 pm

Has Katsidis ever campaign at light-welterweight/welterweight?

It's a marketable name fight but a complete mismatch. People condemned Floyd for fighting Marquez in his return, but I find this a much bigger mismatch and a fight I probably wouldn't watch.

If true though, Katsidis would deserve the payday.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 1:34 pm

I'm ok with this. Kats has been fighting at 140 of late, one or twice anyway. Kats wil come all night and with Hatton's lay off and the way he was pancaked in his last bout, anything could happen

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 23 Sep 2012, 2:31 pm

I can see the logic in this. Katsidas as has been said is known to uk & us fans after his fights with Mitchell, Burns, Marquez etc., he's respected as an honest pro and liked for his all action style. He's past his best but should still fight with enough intensity to test hattons metal after 3 years. Katsidas himself deserves a big money spinning fight. Ticks all the boxes.

The only reservation has to be the weight - Hatton has been talking like he's coming back at welter; katsidas is a natural lightweight and a small light welter. If its at 147lb he'd be considerably the smaller man and apart from that putting him at an obvious disadvantage it may also serve to mask certain weaknesses in hattons game or physicality that fighting someone his own size would expose - ie it may provide a false dawn for him, make him think he's better & stronger than he is.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BoomBoomBaby Sun 23 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Katsidis has really slipped recently but I don't see how people think that makes it a guaranteed win for Ricky. If Katsidis has slipped then how far has Hatton slipped by not fighting in the last 3 and a half years and being about 4 stone overweight?

Katsidis has fought 7 times since Hatton 'retired' so has the edge in fitness/sharpness and theres no shame in losing to the likes of JMM, Guerrero and Burns. But he is the smaller man, with no real power at the weight, greatly reduced punch resistance and nowhere near the fighter he was when theis fight was being mentioned after the Mitchell fight. I hope Katsidis smashes him to be honest if it happens. I don't like this kind of cherry picking from someone who made such a big deal of only wanting to fight the best etc. I realise that he needs a tune up and cant jump straight in against a Tim Bradley etc but this match making just seems a bit fraudulent or something to me.

Get off your high horse will you. It's a come back fight and not a bad test to be honest after 3.5 years out of the ring. There are a lot more champions out there cherry picking opponents. At the very least this will be an entertaining fight

BoomBoomBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

I don't think we'll ever see Ricky in another world title fight. What I think we'll see is him fighting 3 or 4 beatable opponents over the next 18-24 months. The opponents will be carefully chosen to provide exciting fights with minimum risk. He will then retire out of the blue (after a good performance) and people will say "he would have acheived much more had he stayed in the game for just a little bit longer".

The hole point of this comeback is an attempt to wipe the memories of the gullible faithful so that they can remember Ricky as a Winner.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:16 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:The hole point of this comeback is an attempt to wipe the memories of the gullible faithful so that they can remember Ricky as a Winner.

I was never a Hatton devotee, but in fairness to the guy he was, for the most part, a winner throughout his career. You can't really blame him for not wanting the blowout against manny to be the enduring image of his career after a lifetimes graft. If at 33 he feels he's still got enough left to gain a modicum of redemption then who can really blame him.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:25 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
TheMackemMawler wrote:The hole point of this comeback is an attempt to wipe the memories of the gullible faithful so that they can remember Ricky as a Winner.

I was never a Hatton devotee, but in fairness to the guy he was, for the most part, a winner throughout his career. You can't really blame him for not wanting the blowout against manny to be the enduring image of his career after a lifetimes graft. If at 33 he feels he's still got enough left to gain a modicum of redemption then who can really blame him.

I wasn't having a dig at you specifically, nor was I judging Ricky.

I was simply making a observation.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:45 pm

A smart comeback for Ricky, if it's true. Katsidis would be a badly overmatched opponent, providing Hatton is still two thirds of the fighter he was back in 2009. Still, overmatched opponents are just what Hatton needs to ease his way back in, and he'll face no fire from the fans or press for taking on such a foe due to his popularity, and for the fact that this fight comes after a three and a half year break.

Hatton has confirmed that his return will be at Welterweight, a division in which Katsidis really has no business operating. Katsidis will come to fight, he always does, but that'll suit Hatton down to the ground, as he can push him back to the ropes and go to work on that horrific defence of his. Almost as importantly, it means the fight will be a bit of a slug fest while it lasts, maintaining Hatton's 'Hitman' and value for money persona.

It's a banker for Hatton, and inside the distance at that.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:47 pm

What weight is Hatton now fighting at?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:48 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

I wasn't having a dig at you specifically, nor was I judging Ricky.

I was simply making a observation.

I know mate - I wasn't sniping at you - just clarifying that I'm not a hatton fanboy before I proceeded to defend him - crossed wires I think!
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:53 pm

Sound, sorry mate.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 23 Sep 2012, 4:02 pm

I think this is an alright fight, it truly is a "What has he got left?" scenario. For both men in a way, you would go with Hatton to win naturally, but Katsidis has been talking about this for years. If Hatton doesn't have much left and Katsidis does take him in the later rounds there is a big question mark there. He started gassing more and more later on in his career after a 3.5 year lay off doing pie eating contests how will he fair in the later rounds now?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 23 Sep 2012, 4:14 pm

Depends a little on his work I think, he's down to roughly a fighting weight now so maybe he can do more stamina work.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 23 Sep 2012, 4:17 pm

Sorry - sent it out without finishing the post. A large part of his other training camps was making weight - if he can get his rounds in then maybe it'll work out ok for him especially considering the opponent. Those few years will have made him rusty but it could also be the case that saving himself further punishment could mean that he is a little fresher but for that I think we'll have to wait and see

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 23 Sep 2012, 5:05 pm

he was soundly beaten by lightweights but he's the same height as hatton (can't be much more than 1cm difference) and carries a punch.

fair play. if ricky had to come back, i didnt want to see him hurt but wanted to see if he could still cut it.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 23 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

BoomBoomBaby wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:Katsidis has really slipped recently but I don't see how people think that makes it a guaranteed win for Ricky. If Katsidis has slipped then how far has Hatton slipped by not fighting in the last 3 and a half years and being about 4 stone overweight?

Get off your high horse will you. It's a come back fight and not a bad test to be honest after 3.5 years out of the ring. There are a lot more champions out there cherry picking opponents. At the very least this will be an entertaining fight

High horse? So having a different opinion to you equates to being on a high horse? I don't like this fight and disagree with the whole principle of Ricky's comeback. He has nothing to prove and beating an overmatched opponent wont change anything. He gave us great entertainment but fell short at elite level. Theres no shame in that and beating a LW wont change it either.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 23 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

I agree that it is a mismatch in terms of size difference...but i'm not quite sure why people keep going on about this fight isn't going to add to Ricky's reputation.....IT WONT...WE ALL KNOW THAT INCLUDING RICKY!!

The whole point of the first fight in a comeback is to see if he has still got something in his locker. He can hardly go in with a legitimate top ranked welterweight in his first back fight....since as many of you seem to think he has been eating pies for the past 3 years

(No truth to that because whilst he had his problems post retirement he has actually been leading a healthy lifestyle for the past 12-15 months)

Whilst the size difference will give Ricky an advantage I would rather see him in with Katsidis than someone at Welterweight ranked outside the top 30 who will only come to pick up a pay cheque.

Katsidis will come to fight...he will step into the ring thinking he can win it and he will leave all he is in an effort to do so. That is the exact kind of opponent that Ricky needs in his first fight back.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 24 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

katsidis has lost his hunger, was a bit one dimensional at his best and should be relatively easy for hatton and maybe even a mismatch, but so what. hatton is perfectly entitled to work his way back into things. its going to be a real test of hattons professionalism and hunger for the game after a couple of years out. there was no point running into a tough fight and risking defeat before hes even learned to walk again. the build up might be a bit tedious if they try to sell katsidis on former glories and paint him as a wrecking machine still, but whoever hatton was fighting next would have sold anyway.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down