The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alone I Keep the Wolves at Bay

+8
seanmichaels
paperbag_puncher
OasisBFC
TheMackemMawler
Mr Bounce
Seanusarrilius
owen10ozzy
davidemore
12 posters

Go down

Alone I Keep the Wolves at Bay Empty Alone I Keep the Wolves at Bay

Post by davidemore Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

Let me first apologize.

As a man, and a cultured poster, my actions this past Friday were, well, unbecoming of me.

Here’s the breakdown.

I was rattled by a few hostile posts. People attacked me so I attacked them back. I was then warned at the point where someone should be warned. I was then warned again.

And what did I do when warned?

I attacked a well respected poster and fellow bromancer Seanus by referring to him as the WBC of the boards.

Then I was swiftly banned for two days. Reason being: constant madness.

Shame on me.

Sometimes I post articles that some would consider unpredictable. Others may see my posts as attention-seeking, and if truthful there is validity in either viewpoint.

But I can be good. Rowley, forgive me. I can be good.

Ok. Let’s get back to boxing.

Who is the ultimate throwback fighter currently active today?

By this I mean, who simply doesn’t care about TV, money or exposure, and just wants to go out and knock the best in the worlds block off?

Could it be Ricky Hatton once again?

Is Carl Froch the ultimate in, let’s be having ya!

Miguel Cotto? He never shy’s away from a world-class challenge.

David Price? Lol, jokes.

Yours (hopefully forever),

emore
aka: gotta try and be more

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Alone I Keep the Wolves at Bay Empty Re: Alone I Keep the Wolves at Bay

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

Nice to see you back emore....and with a post which is both on point and a genuine attempt to get some conversation going..

Your first 3 mentioned are probably all good shouts...

Froch for me does just love to get in the ring and fight that has been shown by his willingness to travel to people's back yards to get the fights and his willingness to take on all comers...the one slight knock would be that (relative to what you mentioned) you would have to say that he does to some degree crave the attention which he feels he has never got so on that basis is he totally a throwback?

I think you would have to take 'exposure' out of the equation because if we look at it subjectively every single person who laces the gloves in a professional capacity is doing so for exposure or at the very least recognition.

Ricky Burns seems like a nice chap who is in it for the love of the sport and nothing more.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:56 pm

Thanks Owen and great shout on Burns. What a fantastic advert for boxing.

Kindly refrain from abuse, Herman.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:58 pm

Michael Katsidis is a throw back to the Gladiatorial era. He would fight Zeus on the moon if you let him. Shouldn't be overlooked just because he is not as talented as some. Welcome back EMore, let us have no further reason to give you a time out. Your slate is clean

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

Herman i am here to stay and talk boxing. 안 뇽 하 세 요

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

No it isn't. Calm down. Herman You go to your profile, hit friends/foe and take it from there. I will delete these posts in about two mins E,more and the thread can stay boxing related

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm

I reckon Edison Miranda is probably a bit of a "fight anyone because he can" throwback kind of guy. Sure, he's limited and a bit past his best but when he was at Middleweight he wasn't afraid to take on anyone.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

Good shout on Katsidis Sean....

The guy just loves to fight..with his name cropping up on the Hatton comeback list it would seem another good pay day is in order for him.

He is the definition of how the right fight at the right time can propel you from an almost ran to a guy who gets the big fights regardless of his chances of winning due to the fact promoters know they will get an entertaining fight with him in it.

I remember watching his fight against Graham Earl and it was an absolute cracker. After watching it I just thought to myself this guy will without doubt get big fights before he retires....

Before that night he was known but to an extent was high risk/low reward. After it I think promoters realised he was vulnerable and probably just off being elite but he would always be in a good fight. From their he has had fights with:

Casamayor....Diaz...he lost both but then put in another display against Mitchell which earnt him fights with Marquez & then Guerrero.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

Katsidis is a beast. Going to end up a journeyman of the upper echelons but man, he comes to fight. I think he takes the cake of the modern bunch. Admire Dawson after he went after Ward too, despite the consequences

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I reckon Edison Miranda is probably a bit of a "fight anyone because he can" throwback kind of guy. Sure, he's limited and a bit past his best but when he was at Middleweight he wasn't afraid to take on anyone.

This is a good shout, too.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:17 pm

Kats loves a scuffle.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:29 pm

Yeh agreed regards Katsidis Sean...

The fact he is being touted for a Hatton fight regardless of his last two outing says everything about the guy.

And as you say Dawson deserves props for going after Ward...

Will be interesting to see whether Ward has the desire to do the same now. As talented as he is...he has yet to leave his comfort zone and that goes with regards to both travelling and leaving his natural weight class.

I really want to see what he has in his locker when things aren't going his way or when he doesn't have a crowd behind him. I went and watched the Dawson fight again the other day and I have to say he gets away with a lot of questionable inside work...I remember a certain Khan having points deducted for the same amount of pushing down on the head!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:35 pm

Ward needs to go to neutral ground or enemy territory and do a job on someonel He did do that v Froch tho, not enemy territory but more neutral than we've seen. If I was Ward I would move up and target Cloud. He would jump all over him and win handily. I don't see Ward being stupid enough to stay int he game past 30/31, he knows how dangerous it is. Go up to LH and clean it out over next couple years is my advice.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

Margarito took a beating an old boy would be proud of.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:21 pm

Can honestly say i have no idea about the banning or hostile posts but i think Margarito is a fantastic shout.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:43 pm

voided by the cheating. All Margarito compliments are voided by this Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

What about JMM? never ducked anyone and seems ready to step out his comfort zone with no quibbles.

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:33 pm

Marcos Maidana seems like he just loves fighting and would fight anyone. Travels and has a massive heart. Win or lose hes rarely in a dull fight. I've a lot of time for him.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:42 am

JMM is a great shout, and Marcus.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

Glen Johnson.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:47 am

Fair play Emore, I'll remove you from my foe list - I wasn't logged in, so by chance I saw your post.

JMM would be my pick.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:47 am

Dammit seanmichaels, Glenn Johnson was going to be my suggestion!

Think it's a good one though, deserves his moniker 'The Road Warrior', is a good professional who generally accepts fighting anyone anywhere and is tough to boot.

However, if we are looking for someone in the sport because they love it, not all about the glory, that goes anywhere to fight anyone, often at short notice just to get that feeling of adrenaline surge from stepping into the squared circle - should an honourable mention not go to the unsung heroes of pro-boxing: The Journeymen??

Pay is pittance, never any glory, never any advantages your way, never have any say in anything and they have an important role to play in the early tutelage of exciting young amateurs stepping into the pro-ranks.

Worth a shout?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

Great shout TopHat, Tony Booth deserves a mention here. A stepping stone in the career of many who have gone on to greater things, such as Montell Griffin, Johnny Nelson, Michael Sprott, John McDermott, Enzo Maccarinelli, Davd Haye, Martin Rogan, Dereck Chisora, the list goes on.

Clearly not in it for the money, he took fights at a moments notice and travelled up and down the country, thinking nothing of fighting twice in a month, and often ten times in a year.

Had a bit of talent too, as shown in this, one of my favourite boxing clips of all time...

Spoiler:
A final record of 52-105-9 is one I think he can be proud of, not a great fighter but certainly a fighting great.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

Haha, what a cracker.

Good to see you back UC.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

That video is brilliant. Nice work, Union.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

Great video... seen it before though, Union, Wink

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:48 pm

Slightly bitter side to his story tho....:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Knockout-blow-drugs-gang-boxer-Tony-Booth-jailed/story-13333015-detail/story.html

A BOXER at the heart of a city drugs and counterfeiting gang is today starting a nine-year prison sentence.

Tony Booth, 41, was jailed along with six other men, including former Timber Dock landlord George Rowley, chef Christopher Coles and former drugs mentor Peter Brook, for a combined total of almost 30 years.

Police caught the men after launching an undercover sting known as Operation Beech into the supply of cocaine and ecstasy and the passing of counterfeit money in the area.

The gang had operated from the Timber Dock pub in Victoria Dock, east Hull, with Booth at the heart of the gang.

Booth, who had 166 professional fights during his 18-year career, was described as a "lieutenant".

He was "pivotal" to introducing all the other defendants to each other and used contacts he had made throughout his boxing career to obtain drugs and counterfeit currency for his co-accused.

Prosecutor Nick Adlington said: "Booth was a lieutenant, the right-hand man, to those at the top of the tree. All the others were subordinates and played minor roles."

Undercover officers were supplied with £20,320 of cocaine and £12,000 in counterfeit euros throughout a seven-month investigation.

Detective Superintendent Christine Kelk, who led Operation Beech, said: "They were one of the most prolific crime groups operating in the city.

"It was a highly successful operation. I'm immensely pleased with their sentences.

"They are serious and organised criminals who have made a significant amount of money out of drugs and we will now be going after their assets. We only recovered the drugs which were sold to undercover officers. I expect the real amount of drugs was triple that amount."

Booth, who still holds the record for the greatest number of wins in the ring, claimed he committed the offences for financial reasons.

His barrister, Stephen Garth, said: "He had a glamorous early life, but fell upon hard times and got himself involved in this serious offending.

"Because of his finances, he succumbed to temptation and got drawn into this culture of crime.

"He describes himself as a 'middle man'. He doesn't deny that he was a major cog in what was going on.

"He was the person in the middle between those at the pub and the unscrupulous contacts he had made throughout his career.

"He estimates his gain was no more than £1,200."

The honorary Recorder of Hull and the East Riding, Judge Michael Mettyear, sentenced the seven men to a total of 29 years and eight months' imprisonment.

He said: "A common feature binding all of you is the Timber Dock pub, where there was quite clearly a culture of crime operating and that must have been very well known.

"Crimes concerned the supply of class A drugs and counterfeit currency. Class A drugs ruin the lives of those who take them and so often cause people to commit crimes. Communities are wrecked by drug-users and that's why long sentences are imposed on those who get involved in this sort of filthy trade."

He told Booth: "You were very much up for whatever part you could play in the supply of drugs.

"It is quite clear you have had a mixed life. You have had ups and downs.

"You were a professional boxer and have found yourself on hard times to some degree.

"You had a comparatively good life when you enjoyed making money from boxing and it made you want to do what you could to maintain that lifestyle.

"Unfortunately, that desire led you into this life of crime."

The Timber Dock pub is still closed, but is due to reopen under new management.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down