The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolves

+9
JPX
dyrewolfe
guildfordbat
kwinigolfer
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Whistler
Marky
GSC
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wolves Empty Wolves

Post by GSC Wed 20 Feb 2013, 9:08 am

Now very much in danger of dropping into the 3rd tier of English football after sinking into the relegation zone coming off a loss to relegation rivals Barnsley.

Can trace it all back to the point when they sacked MM, a man with a good record of bringing teams up, and had no plan B. Not sure which of Connor, Stolbakken or Saunders are worse, they're all pretty dire appointments
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Wolves Empty Re: Wolves

Post by Marky Wed 20 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

Connor did nothing wrong, he's just not a manager. Proven by the fact that as soon as Wolves sacked him, he ended up as McCarthy's assistant again. Stolbakken was the worst IMO, Saunders can still save himself.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Feb 2013, 10:41 am

Aye Connor never should've got the job but I can't blame him for takin it. Just poor management
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Whistler Wed 20 Feb 2013, 1:57 pm

All these appointments were easy options for the buffoons that are in power. League 1 football is an absolute certainty and we should start planning for it now. Absolutely appalling.

Whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Feb 2013, 3:35 pm

On paper Wolves don't have a bad side and tbf when they drew 3-3 with us they looked quite decent and got a well deserved point with 10 men.

Back to the management side of things, i think Dean Saunders is a good manager and has got time to prove himself. I never understood why Terry Connor was given the job, that was a complete disaster from day 1. The Stale Stolbakken reign proved to be a disaster as well. Bottom line is they need to sort themselves out, or its league one football next season.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:20 am

It's weird as previously Wolves seemed to have been managed really well by their owners, but while Mick McCarthy's sacking was perhaps justified, the managerial appointments afterwards have been disastrous. I felt sorry for Terry Connor who seemed to have been thrust into a position he was not only woefully unprepared for, but one which was clearly too much for somebody made for coaching and not managing. Stale Stolkbakken was really an absurd selection. Wolves needed some steady hands with a manager with experience not a relatively obscure European manager.

Dean Saunders is a better choice but the damage has already been done and Wolves who in their last season in the Premier League probably had the best squad of the relegated sides look they are about to suffer the real possibility of crashing and burning down into the lower leagues.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

Wolves Laugh LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Whistler Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:01 pm

When you look at the squad, it's really not too different to the one that managed three successive PL seasons. While then Championship is super competitive and you can expect a big club or two to falter, what's happened at Molineux is nothing short of incredible. No one could have seen this season coming.

For the record I like Saunders, but he's not been given any real backing to change what is clearly a failing team, and once again the powers that be have shown their disinterest in on field affairs.

Whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm

There's something about Saunders that just doesn't sit right with me and I don't know what it is. Whenever he talks he seems to just mumble a whole lot of nothing. Strange appointment that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:51 pm

Nice article here from the Beeb about Bert Williams and Gordon Banks . . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21879191

What a Wolves team Williams had in front of him - might not have been the Team of the Fifties, but pretty darn close, certainly them or Man Utd.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Mar 2013, 5:56 pm

Smashing link, Kwini. thumbsup Bert Williams was before even my time although I know he was very highly regarded between the sticks.

As for Woves' current situation, I'm sorry for the paying fans but the Board have very much brought the troubles on themselves.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:41 pm

guildford,
Amazing really; only the Ho(p/dg)kinsons and Ron Springett really separated Williams and Banks yet to me they're of completely different eras!
Never saw that Wolves team except in grainy black and white images, but what a team they were . . . . I spent quality time on the Molyneux terraces for a couple of wonderful years during the Parkes/Parkin/Bailey/Franny Munro/Waggy/Richards/Doog (who I'd seen play centre half for Pompey 15 yrs before!) era. Loved that team.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Mar 2013, 11:51 pm

Kwini,

As John Richards was in the Wolves team you saw, I guess that was in the early '70s. I first saw Wolves in '67 at Highfield Road - they went up with us (Coventry) to the old Division One that year when we just pipped them to the Second Division title.

You mention some good players. I also saw 'God's First Footballer' Peter Knowles who had presumably departed for a life of bible bashing in the States by the time you were on the Molyneux terraces.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 25 Mar 2013, 12:13 am

Evoking Billy Bragg - nice combination there, Peter Knowles and Woody Guthrie! Guess his son is playing now, Billy Bragg's that is.

Perhaps Willie Carr and Alun Evans connect those two teams. Robbie Keane later I suppose.

Also loved watching (Nice one) Cyril in the Glory Days at White Hart Lane - dead at 47. No justice.

Knowles on the conveyer belt from Yorkshire to Molyneux - so many of them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:59 pm

Saturday's game against my team (Middlesbrough) should be an interesting one. Your home form isn't desperately bad (for a side in the relegation zone) while our away form is the worst of any side in the top 10.

There's a very good chance of you picking up all 3 points...who knows this match may even kickstart your survival push.

Ever the optimist I'm holding out for a dull 0-0 or mildly interesting 1-1.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:01 pm

I hope you win dyrewolfe, and I hope it's by 35 goals. Given the choice between Europa League football for Albion or League One football for Wolves, I'd choose L1 for Wolves. Plus, I really liked Tony Mowbray at Albion, so I hope you can get yourselves back in the promotion picture Wolves 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm

Kwini,

Alun Evans of the blond locks and pudding basin haircut played Midlands football for Wolves and the Villa, not Coventry. However, you were spot on about Willie Carr - the great Ernie Hunt's partner for that wondrous donkey kick goal.

The other player connection that I can immediately think of between Wolves and Coventry from that era is Bobby Gould. Mind you, it would almost be easier to list the clubs that The Gouldfather didn't play for! His son, Richard, is the Chief Executive at Surrey CCC - a smart cookie who'll probably go further even if he's a bit too polished for my liking.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:30 pm

guilford,
I used to go on an annual cricket tour with an older gent who had just retired from coaching the youth teams at Swindon back in the Summerbee, Hunt, Woodruff days (many others of course) when Bert Head was there.
He always raved about Ernie Hunt's talent. Loved the "donkey kick" free kick, but also loved the description of Hunt, perhaps by McIlvenney, of a player "who's brilliant future is well behind him"! Trot that out to unsuspecting listeners from time to time . . . . .

Along the same lines, and back on thread, sort of, Kenny Hibbitt was another with talent to spare . . . . he might have played for CC in his old age.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote: Given the choice between Europa League football for Albion or League One football for Wolves, I'd choose L1 for Wolves.
Looks like I got my wish Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:33 pm

Would you not rather Wolves improved again so that you can actually face your rivals? I can't see the enjoyment in seeing your main rivals slip further away from you, means you won't get big derby days or the satisfaction of beating them any more.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:52 pm

I wouldn't actually. I'd like to see them and their fans suffer humiliation after humiliation. I don't want to be even, swap victories and sit in mid-table obscurity with each other. I want them to lose every single game, go down to non-league. They're heading in the right direction Wolves 3559488474

Derby days aren't that enjoyable. In recent years we've won more than we've lost, but there is a section of the Wolves fans that causes trouble before and after games, and it spoils the occasion for the rest of their fans and our own. Wolves away is a dangerous place for an Albion fan to go - how mad is that?

And I've had plenty of satisfaction beating Wolves - now it's Yeovil and Gillingham's turn.

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 01 May 2013, 6:14 pm

As much as I dislike them for the kneejerk reaction sacking of McCarthy, it's a real shame to see them in their current predicament. I mean they are a much better addition to the PL than say Nothingrwich, or indeed to the Championship than say Peterborough or Barnsley.

Azzy, you may be enjoying but have to say West Brom are a real drab team to watch.....boring as hell. Oh and Wolves are a bigger club than you, even in League 1!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 07 May 2013, 9:36 am

Wolves have sacked Dean Saunders

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 9:40 am

Thought he would've kept his job before ownership sells up

Decent in league 1
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 9:42 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

music League One, we hope you enjoy League One music

Laugh

And while I appreciate your attempt to defend your team JPX, I would love to know how you are quantifying 'bigger club', as there is no sporting or financial measure by which Wolves can be considered 'bigger' than the team that's sitting in 8th in the Premier League Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 9:46 am

Surely Steve Morgan must go. Terry Connors, Stale Stolbakken and Dean Saunders in the space of a year.

Meanwhile McCarthy rescued bottom Ipswich
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 9:59 am

The Board made a real mess of Wolves, from the premature sacking of McCarthy to the bungled appointment of Connors, to the ridiculous appointment of Solbakken, and the bemusing appointment of Saunders. It wouldn't surprise me to see Big Ron as their next manager Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 07 May 2013, 10:03 am

enjoy crawley next year Laugh
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 10:07 am

cherriesfna wrote:enjoy crawley next year Laugh
Oh boy Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 10:08 am

Lifelong Wolves fan SOD available.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 07 May 2013, 10:09 am

and you must be very excited at the potential trip to northampton Laugh
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 10:10 am

Stop it Cherries, you're killing me Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 10:12 am

I think the big question, is whether Saunders would've won League 1 with Doncaster had he stayed.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 07 May 2013, 10:16 am

and oh boy hosting the likes of Shrewsbury, Port Vale and Stevenage , WOW, cant get any better than that!
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 07 May 2013, 10:17 am

CHERRIO CHERRIO CHERRIO CHERRIO CHERRIO CHERIOOOO
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11699/8696896/Dean-Saunders-has-been-sacked-by-Wolverhampton-Wanderers
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 10:24 am

Cherries you seem more excited than me about all this Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 07 May 2013, 10:25 am

as a small club fan i love watching big clubs demise
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 10:26 am

Which begs the question, why do you think Wolves is a big club? They've not won anything for decades, have no money, play in League One and have next to no following outside of their catchment area. That's not a club that's going places!

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 10:45 am

Can the admins move this topic to League 1?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 10:46 am

Oh lads this is proper killing me Laugh

Bravo all of you, what a weekend it was and now we get this as well Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 07 May 2013, 10:47 am

yes and then move AFCB up to the championship Yahoo
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 07 May 2013, 1:22 pm

maybe i was harsh on wolves earlier, on the bright side u have the massive Wolves vs Wallsall Derby to look forward to
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 1:25 pm

Way-hey king

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 May 2013, 3:37 pm

It wasn't so much the sacking of McCarthy that started Wolves demise, because really he had to go. It was the appointments after that have ruined them.

Right decision to let Saunders go. Overrated
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 3:39 pm

To be honest, Wolves were improving at the time of McCarthy's sacking, but them Albion hammered them with that Odemwingie hat-trick and the Board jumped on him.

Even if they'd have gone down, he'd have gotten them back up again. He's a good Championship manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 3:40 pm

I will never get why teams are so quick to dump the managers who got them there.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 May 2013, 3:41 pm

Wolves basically did what Sunderland done this season, except Sunderland seem to have propelled themselves to safety, and Wolves didn't.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 3:42 pm

Someone on BBC said earlier that people nowaways are used to instant food, instant technology - and now instant results in football. I can see where they're coming from. Don't we all hate losing in these leagues, because it can be two weeks before a win surfaces?

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 3:42 pm

Something clearly wasn't right with O'Neill though. The passion didn't seem to be there.

McCarthy knows how to get teams out of the Championship.

And they gave his assistant the job.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 May 2013, 3:46 pm

Yes McCarthy does, but they obviously sacked him to try and stay in the Prem ala Sunderland with O'Neill.

As you say they went wrong by having no replacement lined up
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next