The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would you structure the hatton comeback?

+5
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
davidemore
manos de piedra
owen10ozzy
crispears1
9 posters

Go down

How would you structure the hatton comeback? Empty How would you structure the hatton comeback?

Post by crispears1 Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 17:45

That is if it is a comeback and not a publicity stunt. A comeback of say five fights, all opponents will have to be very beatable but also come with reward and praise from the casual fans ensuring hatton's redemption. My five I'd like to see him fight in the next 18-24 months would be:

1st: Katsidis - Always difficult to pick a first opponent in a comeback, but kat fills the board as good as any, predictable what-you-see-is-what-you-get, exciting, well known to british fans, on decline, smaller with little chance of hurting hatton. We hope. The next day papers will be gushing 'Last night hatton made a statement to the boxing world about who was back with a performance that will make the diversion's biggest players sit up and take notice.'

2nd Witter - Wanted junior to be a first but that would be unrealistic. Fight made far too late but it would put to bed a rash that has been irritating hatton's career from the beginning, even past their respective bests the style gel will let us know who would have perhaps fared better. I think hatton's close work would tire a 40 year old witter very quickly myself. Symbolically becomes british champ.

3rd or 4th Malignaggi- We already know why.

4th or 3rd Bailey - Dangerous I know but that's the nature of the business, apart from a terrifying punch bailey is very limited and there for the taking. Hatton would have two world belts (if these guys can hold them for long enough)

5th Amir Khan- Hatton wouldn't have to win this one, in fact I'd prefer him not to, just put up a good showing and make it to the bell to lose a hopefully close or even controversial decision (khan shouldn't be able to stop him) walk out with his head held high to an arena of applause having left the ring with his pride intact and having done british boxing the favour of lighting the fuse for a khan vs brook british superfight to unify the diversion.

In reality he'll probably get sparked in 40 secs by the 1st opponent, but a man can dream.

anybody else got a better set of opponent(s)? NOT FLINTOFF!!!!!!!!

crispears1

Back to top Go down

How would you structure the hatton comeback? Empty Re: How would you structure the hatton comeback?

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 17:53

I don't think that is too bad a list to be honest crispears1:

Although whilst it is probably one of the safer 5 fight lists the problem is that Hatton is just to big a name if his first two fights are successful. I don't care whether he got flattened by Pacman there is no doubt in my mind that if he does, as is expected, face and take care of Katsidis in style then the American PPV channels will immediately be crawling over themselves to get a piece of the action whilst he is around....he may not guarantee as big a numbers as he did 5 years ago but he will pull in more than most out there.

Realistically I only see a 3 fight return to be honest. Katsidis or whoever he decides to be his first followed by Mallignaggi (assuming he is still holding a Welterweight strap) then a swansong against one of the 'big names' in boxing....be it Khan, Manny, Mayweather or whoever else star is shining bright and will sell numbers.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

How would you structure the hatton comeback? Empty Re: How would you structure the hatton comeback?

Post by manos de piedra Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:05

I dont really think you can plan three or four fights ahead really. The landscape will always be changing, Malignaggi and Bailey could easily have lost titles by then and alot will depend on how Hatton performs. I would just take one fight a time.

I certainly wouldnt end on a fight against a top pound for pound fighter thats likely to hand him a beating though. Isnt that part of the reason he feels he needs to come back in the first place? It would basically be like putting im back exactly in the position he was in pre retirement.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

How would you structure the hatton comeback? Empty @owen

Post by crispears1 Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:07

Yeah a 5 fight might be a tad ambitious, its true. and bailey has a fight against devon alexander on the 20th so he will probs no longer have a title which wittles it down to 4 fights. Call me persistent but i would still love a witter fight, regardless of where they are, ithink hatton's legacy needs it.

crispears1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:08

Fighting Witter is unlikely to inspire people to tune in to any future fights. Witter is likely to bore the trousers off anyone within three counties of wherever they fight and I doubt Hatton could wait another three years for the effects to wear off.

Fighting Khan is a dangerous move....for Khan!

All things being equal, he posseses the handspeed to give hatton nightmares but recent showings have proved that khan still lacks a boxing brain in certain areas and I think Hatton knows enough to expose Khan's frailties IF he gets within range. However, that's not why it's a dangerous fight for Khan.

If khan was to beat Hatton he runs the risk of becoming Britain's most hated fighter. We don't like our household favourites to lose and Khan runs the risk of being more despised than Bugner was for beating Cooper or Lewis was for beating Bruno.

I'd like Hatton to face someone like Bradley or even Marquez and, win lose or draw, he could say he's gone out against one of the very best guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by crispears1 Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:12

@Dave Witter is dull its true, but I honestly believe at this point Hatton would overwhelm him, witter is like an old man with a cane, he'll throw the cane at you from long range if he connects its gonna hurt if it misses he is already breathing heavy and hatton will be there to smell his breath, a few shots in the solar and it'll all be over. it won't be a fight to last the distance.

crispears1

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:13

I'd structure like this.

4. Don't
3. Do
2. It
1. Ricky

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by crispears1 Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:14

Marquez, Bradley will beat him back to suicidal square 1. He's coming back to win not get slaughtered.

crispears1

Back to top Go down

Post by crispears1 Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:14

@davidemore you forgot 5.) please

crispears1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:25

Could he be beaten any worse by Bradley or Marquez than he was by Manny?

My reason for choosing those two are that they are legitmate opponents and, given Hatton's association with GBP, fights that can be made quite easily (even Arum will want some of the slops from the Hatton gravy train)

Bradley's been dropped before and got a gift against Manny so he's cetainly beatable. I also don't think Bradley's improved as much as he shoud have done since he beat Witter. Marquez is a class act and would be a worthy name on anyone's resume, however, Marquez ain't getting any younger and, depending on how his fourth installment with Manny goes, he might look to secure himself a big payday against Hatton.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:30

Assuming he continues to win and it's at 147 there should be no reason to keep on giving him soft fights

1.) Katsidis- Great first fight imo. Katsidis has lost recently but by elite fighters in Marquez, Guerrero and burns (doesn't seem as bad a loss given burns form) who imomad wit fairly close. He got eat last time out by a big lightwelter and still pushed him close. Will test Hatton's stamina and chin and the size difference isnt as huge as some are assuming

2.) Malignaggi- If he can beat katsidis comfortably then this makes sense and if Hatton is half the fighter he was In the first fight he could/should win and get a title if paulie still has one

3.) Marquez-Doesn't hit very hard and will be around 40 of he is still around as is a big money fight

4.) Win or lose vs Marquez he will be able to get a big domestic clash vs khan or
Brook

Cant see 5 unless he has a couple weakish fights

Morales could be an option as they were rumoured to be up against each other web Hatton was suppose to be coming back in 2011 and would sell easily

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:33

Wouldn't go anywhere near Witter, his finished an proves nothing if Hatton beats him. I think Gavin takes Witter apart anyhow in his next fight so that should be a non starter.

Happy with Katsidis, see what moves Hatton has got left, manoeuvre him against a sterner challenge someone possibly like Garcia or Peterson, Khans conquerors all being well. If still unscathed, do what Dave suggests put him in with Marquez or Bradley and even if he does lose (which id certainly think he would)he can hold his hands up again, nothing lost IMO.

Don't want to see Witter or Mallignaggi, don't see the point in fighting Paulie he hammered him convincley, what's he got to achieve if he were to beat him again, can't see him beating him anymore decisive and alphabet titles mean sod all to the fans these days.

Cheers. Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 18:44

I think Bradley would beat Hatton up. I wouldnt go near that fight if I was Hatton. Marquez given the age and size might just about be worth a gamble if Hatton looks good in his first couple of fights back and Marquez looks like he is slipping a bit in his next encounter with Pacquaio. Still would not be confident though.

I think Hatton should look to go out on a high though for his own sake. I dont really get what coming back, winning a couple of soft fights (one against a guy he beat easily years before) followed by a potentially bad loss again against a top fighter is going to do for him. He is going to have to come back close to his best to have a chance against names like Bradley I think, and his best was a long long time ago.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 19:16

Haha...nice response crispears1...

I'm not sure what your implying with your statement with regards to Marquez & Bradley....if you mean they will beat him yes they will...but slaughtered is a slight exaggeration in my mind.

I think he would go the distance with both, assuming he comes back and is capable...if he looks like 75% of the fighter he was then I think he takes both the distance.

I really don't read that much into the Pacman fight because I think there were a whole host of issues surrounding the fight. I mean I never expected him to be knocked out in the manner he was but I do think that the devastation was one of those things where everything not only fell apart at the wrong time for Hatton but the man he was facing had a punch which was perfect for exploiting Ricky's weakness when throwing that left hook of his own.

I think Katsidis in November...then a fight in late March/early April with Malignaggi (I expect him to overcome Cano in October since Morales dealt with him and is far slower than Pauli)...

That then leaves a big fight in July/August possibly a little later. If he looks good in the two fights above I really do think he will get one of the big names either in a huge stadium here in Britain or back in the bright lights of Vegas.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 18:42

Does everyone think Hatton would be Katsidis though? I'm not so sure he would. Katsidis is shot but I don't think Ricky will have much left, either. I think this comeback could be a one fight affair.

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 18:55

Katsidis is more shot than JFK. He has never fought above 144lbs. Great comeback opponent. Made to make Hatton look good.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 21:35

Said this before but it needs to be Maidana for the purist boxing fan, and a serious test at semiworld level. Good yard stick.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down