The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sean Maitland de-listed by Crusaders, perfect time for SRU to pounce?!

+18
nganboy
LondonTiger
Imperialbigdave
reallybored
chewed_mintie
EST
AlastairW
IanBru
Cryptoyourisan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RDW
HERSH
gowales
Jenifer McLadyboy
yappysnap
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Majestic83
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sean Maitland de-listed by Crusaders, perfect time for SRU to pounce?! Empty Sean Maitland de-listed by Crusaders, perfect time for SRU to pounce?!

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

According to the NZ herald Sean Maitland is going to be de-listed by the Crusaders for next seasons super rugby meaning that he is available to switch to any other NZ team or move abroad.
Is this not the perfect opportunity for the SRU to pounce and get him across here? Both Edinburgh and Glasgow would be able to accomodate him and being an uncapped player he wouldn't have been on huge wages in NZ!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Sean Maitland de-listed by Crusaders, perfect time for SRU to pounce?! Empty Re: Sean Maitland de-listed by Crusaders, perfect time for SRU to pounce?!

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:07 pm

Jeebus, yes, Maj, sign this guy up - sound like he may have lost his hunger for the game in NZ, ideal time to get him up to Scotland OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Sean Maitland de-listed by Crusaders, perfect time for SRU to pounce?! Empty Re: Sean Maitland de-listed by Crusaders, perfect time for SRU to pounce?!

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:10 pm

Yep didn't get much game time for the Crusaders this season due to injuries and Adam whitelock playing well and now the Canterbury team have some new wonderkid wingers playing in the itm cup so he seems surplus to requirements there.
If it were to happen what Scottish team would you like to see him go to?
I'd go Edinburgh as apart from Visser there isn't a lot of depth there where as Glasgow have some very good wingers.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Yep didn't get much game time for the Crusaders this season due to injuries and Adam whitelock playing well and now the Canterbury team have some new wonderkid wingers playing in the itm cup so he seems surplus to requirements there.
If it were to happen what Scottish team would you like to see him go to?
I'd go Edinburgh as apart from Visser there isn't a lot of depth there where as Glasgow have some very good wingers.
Reluctantly I agree! Wink He could always come to Exe, we'd happily release him to Scotland when he's required

Braveheart Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:13 pm

I'd be open to him playing in France or England if it was deemed Edinburgh or Glasgow didn't have space for him as long as it was made sure he was released for internationals.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Sshhhh he's Bath's secret ubber signing!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:16 pm

Laugh

Can you tell Hersh then, yappy!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:17 pm

I thought Bath had the new Jason Robinson in Kyle Eastmond carving it up on the wings?!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

Isn't he Quade Cooper's 1st cousin?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:20 pm

Yep he is indeed Quade's cousin.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Isn't he Quade Cooper's 1st cousin?

He's related to Sonny Bill as well. Bluddy incest Kiwis...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:22 pm

Ospreys could use a good back three player!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:22 pm

Is he Big?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

HERSH wrote:Is he Big?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sean+maitland+height+and+weight

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

in terms of a big signing for Bath, then yes I'd say so. One of the best players from NZ not to be capped in the past few years!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

Not big enough IMO, should fit in fine up North.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:32 pm

GET HIM TO EDINBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glasgow have plenty quality wingers - Sean and Rory Lamont, DTH, Seymor, Morrison etc.

We have Visser, a massively off form Lee Jones and some young pups.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:33 pm

If Lineen can get this guy to come to Scotland then his move into this new role in the SRU will have been an inspired decision!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:34 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Maitland

6 ft 2 and 97kg Hersh.

Tokoroa (pop. 13,000) has a pretty good record of producing internationals in recent times

-Quade Cooper (Aus)
-Keven Mealamu (NZ)
-Richard Kahui (NZ)
-Isaac Boss (Ire)
-Henry Paul (Eng)
-Nicky Little (Fiji)

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:GET HIM TO EDINBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glasgow have plenty quality wingers - Sean and Rory Lamont, DTH, Seymor, Morrison etc.

We have Visser, a massively off form Lee Jones and some young pups.

OK

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMLB5vzukY

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

I'm sure he could be a good signing but I find recent tendencies to look abroad for future internationals and continuing to ignore problems with player development at home to be really frustrating. We'll end up back to where we were at the turn of the century with half the team being foreign.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:52 pm

From NZ Herald

Maitland turned down Scotland in 2010 - deciding to commit for two more years to chase his All Black dream. Presumably he's realised that an already slim chance is now minuscule and that, by the end of next year, he could shift overseas, double his pay and play international rugby.
This piece was written before McMaitland was de-listed.

Cryptoyourisan wrote:I'm sure he could be a good signing but I find recent tendencies to look abroad for future internationals and continuing to ignore problems with player development at home to be really frustrating. We'll end up back to where we were at the turn of the century with half the team being foreign.
Didn't we win the title at the turn of the century??

I completely agree with your point, but if there's a little spark that turns us into a winning team, and it comes from a Scottish-qualified player born overseas (speaking as one of those...) then I'd still be pretty happy.

Last edited by IanBru on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm

Cryptoyourisan wrote:I'm sure he could be a good signing but I find recent tendencies to look abroad for future internationals and continuing to ignore problems with player development at home to be really frustrating. We'll end up back to where we were at the turn of the century with half the team being foreign.

I don't see that being the case with Scotland, we have a lot of young very talented players coming through in a lot of various positions. Scotland are always going to have a fairly small player base compared to the likes of England, South Africa, New Zealand etc so the more the merrier especially when someone like Maitland is as qualified to play for Scotland as he is.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:57 pm

Cryptoyourisan wrote:I'm sure he could be a good signing but I find recent tendencies to look abroad for future internationals and continuing to ignore problems with player development at home to be really frustrating.

+1

This. Shouldn't scotland be looking to develop it's home grown talent than looking to poach NZ talent? The exact same thing the English have recieved a bucket load of flak for from other home nations btw.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:58 pm

Well, I would be delighted if he pitched up at either Edinburgh or Glasgow; he would add quality to both squads. I think Edinburgh would suit his game more, and the Maitland/Visser combo would be frighteningly good!

As for playing for Scotland, he has a Scottish parent - so its not an issue for me.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:00 pm

As EST he does actually have a Scottish close relative - which is a different story from bring people over to qualify on residency.

But we're not gonna get into that debate because it will just descend into mass Wumming! (Mod hat on)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:04 pm

IanBru wrote:From NZ Herald

Maitland turned down Scotland in 2010 - deciding to commit for two more years to chase his All Black dream. Presumably he's realised that an already slim chance is now minuscule and that, by the end of next year, he could shift overseas, double his pay and play international rugby.
This piece was written before McMaitland was de-listed.

Didn't we win the title at the turn of the century??

I completely agree with your point, but if there's a little spark that turns us into a winning team, and it comes from a Scottish-qualified player born overseas (speaking as one of those...) then I'd still be pretty happy.

I would try to argue that there was a better case for us using Kiwis in 1999 because we had struggled to cope with professionalism. However, professionalism is now 15 years old and we still haven't adapted to it. I suppose the real difference is that Maitland is just a flight from New Zealand away from playing for Scotland, as were Leslie, Longstaff, Metcalfe et al before him seeing as they were qualified anyway. The 'project signings' or whatever it is we're calling them aren't qualified and will eat into three years' worth of investment just to see if they are international quality players. I can almost imagine WP Nel on his long-awaited Scotland début getting minced in the first scrum already.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:As EST he does actually have a Scottish close relative - which is a different story from bring people over to qualify on residency.

But we're not gonna get into that debate because it will just descend into mass Wumming! (Mod hat on)

It will, but that wasn't my intention though - you can see how it appears at times though Wink

Parent sorts out qualification issues. We'll be happy to beat you again with him in your squad ..... Run

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

I’m more than certain he’ll end up at the Highlanders next season, with Ma’a Nonu too. I think he’s still got a hunger to make a go of it in NZ and will put his Scotland ambitions on hold for at least another season.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

Agree with chewed_mince, sounds like Highlanders are going to sign him. Hopefully a French club can offer him some ridiculous money and get him up North.

When would he be available to move, isn't he injured right now?

A back-three of Visser, Maitland and Hogg would be awsome.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:55 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:I’m more than certain he’ll end up at the Highlanders next season, with Ma’a Nonu too. I think he’s still got a hunger to make a go of it in NZ and will put his Scotland ambitions on hold for at least another season.
Mintie, that's just fine, as long as he's here about a year or so before the next RWC OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 4:04 pm

If he signs for the Highlanders I can't imagine it would be any more than a one season deal. The chances of him getting into all blacks contention is very slim despite him being in outstanding form in previous seasons.
For whatever reason the all blacks selectors have selected other players and with younger players like Savea on the scene now it looks as if the all blacks have passed him by.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 25 Sep 2012, 4:23 pm

I just dont see the need just now. Dont get me wrong, id have him in a flash, but with Visser and Brown establishing themselves, Farndale showing serious potential, and Fife aswell, I dont think we need to trip over our own feet in a rush for him.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Sep 2012, 4:50 pm

I just need to open a few windows in my glass house.

Surely the thought that a Kiwi who has struggled to make a serious mark in NZ may come and play for Scotland is a touch depressing. A back 3 containing a dutch man and a Kiwi does not show Scottish player development in a good light.

Ah damn I broke one of the windows... damned Waldrom/Hartley/Barritt

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:16 pm

From what I understand Maitland has been on the fringes of a call up. We could end up with:

15. Brown
14. Maitland
13. Hogg
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Weir
9. Laidlaw
8. Denton
7. Rennie
6. Brown
5. Hamilton
4. Gray
3. Murray
2. Ford
1. Grant
16. Welsh
17. MacArthur
18. Cross
19. Gilchrist
20. Beattie
21. Cusiter
22. Jackson
23. Tonks

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

So if Brown is injured your back 3 would be McVisser and McTonks who were developed south of the border and both played for England U18s and McMaitland?

you really are trying to make us feel better about our recruitment.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

LondonTiger wrote:So if Brown is injured your back 3 would be McVisser and McTonks who were developed south of the border and both played for England U18s and McMaitland?

you really are trying to make us feel better about our recruitment.

It's OK, we export our playing and coaching talent freely. It's all part of our cunning plan to spread the true rugby gospel to make Stephen Jones of the Times look even more of a tool when he comments on brown skinned players in the ABs

(PS, you get better results from pinching our coaches, just ask Leinster, Clermont and Wales)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:39 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
(PS, you get better results from pinching our coaches, just ask Leinster, Clermont and Wales)

Looks like you allow your coaches to make their mistakes up here, before they become head coach of NZ. I assume Gats will replace Hansen Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:43 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Looks like you allow your coaches to make their mistakes up here, before they become head coach of NZ. I assume Gats will replace Hansen Very Happy

That doesn't always work. John Mitchell built a pretty good England forward pack for SCW before he made a hash of the ABs job (and every other head coach job he's had since).

Oh, and probably best not to ask the Aussies about our coaching exports Whistle

(they failed to read the fine print and didn't realise that all NZ coaches are implanted with a "thou shalt not beat the All Blacks" chip before leaving the country)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:18 am

But Pete, Deans got rid of that chip and did beat us remember.

Anyway Maitland good player, had maybe 2 good seasons for the Crusaders but never really been looked at for the higher level. He'd be good for the Highlanders who dont' have brilliant wings or depth at the back

Just another big fast but lazy Polynesian winger Whistle
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:07 am

This all depends on the extent to which Sean wants to prioritise his international career. If memory serves, he's 25 now and so the time for messing about is surely over, especially if he wants a wing slot - the only area of the world relying more on fresh, young blood being the black pudding industry.

He cannot have ignored Strauss coming over and making clear his intentions to get residency and play for Scotland.

Joining the Canes makes sense from a club perspective but won't bring him any closer to the international squad. The writing was on the wall for him when he didn't make the last World Cup Squad.

We've made winsome jokes about this in the past on the Scottish boards, but we have to allow for the possibility that this might actually happen without Satan having to skate to work first.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:12 am

Worth linking directly to this article on the subject Kiwi :
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10831137
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 26 Sep 2012, 9:42 am

gowales wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Isn't he Quade Cooper's 1st cousin?

He's related to Sonny Bill as well. Bluddy incest Kiwis...

I didnt know he was related to SBW, but he is definitely related to all the Joe Stanley cousins, which means he has cousins playing rugby and League across New Zealand, Australia, Japan, and the North of England.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 26 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

6 ft 2 and 97kg Hersh.

Tokoroa (pop. 13,000) has a pretty good record of producing internationals in recent times

-Quade Cooper (Aus)
-Keven Mealamu (NZ)
-Richard Kahui (NZ)
-Isaac Boss (Ire)
-Henry Paul (Eng)
-Nicky Little (Fiji)

And Walter Little.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 26 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

6 ft 2 and 97kg Hersh.

-Quade Cooper (Aus)
-Keven Mealamu (NZ)
-Richard Kahui (NZ)
-Isaac Boss (Ire)
-Henry Paul (Eng)
-Nicky Little (Fiji)

And Walter Little.
I was only counting people playing post 2000-ish in "recent times" AL Smile

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:20 pm

There's no question, all would be best served by Sean Maitland moving to Edinburgh and playing on the opposite wing to Visser.

We can "develop" Lee Jones until the cows come home, but he isn't going to turn out as good a player as Sean Maitland, and whilst the rules allow it, we should utilise the rules to our advantage, as just about all other nations do.

Done.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:There's no question, all would be best served by Sean Maitland moving to Edinburgh and playing on the opposite wing to Visser.

We can "develop" Lee Jones until the cows come home, but he isn't going to turn out as good a player as Sean Maitland, and whilst the rules allow it, we should utilise the rules to our advantage, as just about all other nations do.

Done.

OK clap
agree 100% with that.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:09 pm

Very premature post. I know NZ have some ridiculous depth in the back 3 but he's still young and is a very versatile, good player. And wasn't he top try scorer for Canterbury and at one time, the Crusaders? Plenty of time for him to realise his dream so I'm sure he'll keep chasing it. Would any Kiwi's agree with that?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:12 pm

Wonder what the odds are for him to play against the ABs in November.... Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next