The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors Sat 6th Oct 6:30pm

+25
HERSH
Casartelli
kingjohn7
glamorganalun
wales606
Cari
123skelm
21st Century Schizoid Man
munkian
maestegmafia
thebluesmancometh
Cryptoyourisan
tigertattie
Smirnoffpriest
Dorothy_Mantooth
XR
Luckless Pedestrian
doctornickolas
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
EST
Manky-Flanker
George Carlin
Kingshu
Scot Abroad
29 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors Sat 6th Oct 6:30pm - Page 7 Empty Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors Sat 6th Oct 6:30pm

Post by Scot Abroad Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors

When: Sat 6th October 6:30pm
Where: Cardiff Arms Park

Teams
Cardiff Blues: TBA

Glasgow Warriors: TBA

Warriors without DTH for 6 weeks, something that I'm sure will please the Blues fans on the board. Poor performances from both teams at the weekend and they'll be looking to make amends this week.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors Sat 6th Oct 6:30pm - Page 7 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors Sat 6th Oct 6:30pm

Post by Manky-Flanker Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:50 am

I think Peter Horne is going from strength to strength. Always looks dangerous with ball in hand and other players can hit the ball running from his passes. To step up last week from nowhere to kick the winning penalty and again to make his kicks against Cardiff yesterday was impressive. His support play is also top notch.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors Sat 6th Oct 6:30pm - Page 7 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues vs Glasgow Warriors Sat 6th Oct 6:30pm

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:09 am

Great result for Glasgow, well done Toonie and the boys. Not exactly the try scoring rugby that Toonie was apparently employed to deliver, but that's a strong away win, especially depriving the Blues of a losing bonus point.

Sounds like Cusack has once again done a number on his opposite man, and I'm delighted that Horne has played such a prominent role this season - he's a good footballer.

How did Ceri Sweeney play? I've been saying for some time that he's a pretty useless 10 but was told in no uncertain terms by Blues fans last season that he was considerably better than Parks and an underrated player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 07 Oct 2012, 12:51 pm

Jackson was all over Sweeney - all game !

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 07 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

21st

I don't know what game you watched but Sweeney was a passenger, he never got the chance to get involved in one of the worst games of rugby I will ever see in my life...

Fair play to Glasgow it's a good result but I think you guys need to put it into perspective, Ulster run rampant against probably a stronger Blues side last week at home, Glasgow come out on top of a dogfight and offered no try scoring threat at all.

IMO Blues are one of the weakest teams in the league at present, and a result at the Arms park isn't very impressive as 3/4 teams who have gone there have won comfortably.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 07 Oct 2012, 1:16 pm

Its only taken like 4 years, but someone finally seems to have realised that Jackson is a much better player when he doesnt have to worry about kicking. Unfortunately his confidence has probably been irreversably damaged over the years of Lineen mis managing him, but he showed glimpses of the attacking game that got him noticed as a youngster.

And credit where its due, Townsend should be commended for actually giving Horne a chance to prove himself. Regardless of the kicking, he showed more vision tonight than Morrison has shown in his entire career, with a couple of long floated passes when there was space out wide, and drawing defenders to put Dunbar into space (even though Alex dropped the ball in both instances).

He always showed flashes of what he could do, but as soon as he made a mistake, he would be dropped from the team for about 6 months by Lineen, and then dropped from Glasgow completely. Its a good thing for his sake that Lineen moved on when he did, because another season of turning out for prem1 sides or the 7s every week and he wouldve been lost to the pro game.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 07 Oct 2012, 5:05 pm

Ibd,

take your point re Peter Horne and Jackson but not sure there much of Townsend's tactics out there ? Fair dos he did select Horne (and drop Morrison). if DTH had been available we would have put Cardiff to the sword with that platform. It is worrying that we seem not to be able to score freely without him - I suppose Edinburgh would be the same without Visser ?

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:00 pm

A good, solid win for Glasgow; credit to Townsend and the coaching team for four wins on the bounce.

But I agree with TheBlueMan, Glasgow played a poor Cardiff team and really didn't look like scoring. There is nothing wrong with that, but to move that step forward and challenge for the title and Heiny knockout spots, Glasgow have a massive way to go.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:12 am

Four wins is always good, but with the exception of the Ospreys win, which was excellent - these wins have been against teams which perhaps comprise the weaker half of the league - Blues, Zebre and Connacht.

We'll have a much better idea of where we are after a trip to Treviso next week. Now that's going to be seriously tough.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Its only taken like 4 years, but someone finally seems to have realised that Jackson is a much better player when he doesnt have to worry about kicking. Unfortunately his confidence has probably been irreversably damaged over the years of Lineen mis managing him, but he showed glimpses of the attacking game that got him noticed as a youngster.

And credit where its due, Townsend should be commended for actually giving Horne a chance to prove himself. Regardless of the kicking, he showed more vision tonight than Morrison has shown in his entire career, with a couple of long floated passes when there was space out wide, and drawing defenders to put Dunbar into space (even though Alex dropped the ball in both instances).

He always showed flashes of what he could do, but as soon as he made a mistake, he would be dropped from the team for about 6 months by Lineen, and then dropped from Glasgow completely. Its a good thing for his sake that Lineen moved on when he did, because another season of turning out for prem1 sides or the 7s every week and he wouldve been lost to the pro game.

Lineen has damaged many players' chances of becoming international quality. I'm not sure if it's Lineen's doing that Horne - as well as Eddie and Gregor - has spent so much time with the sevens but, in my opinion, it has been time wasted. I doubt Murchie will ever be an international but his chances have definitely hot been helped by spending a season each trying to become a 12, a 13, a winger and now a fullback.

You can argue that young players get a ton of experience on the sevens circuit, which is true. However, we've seen Horne come in and out of the team, show some promise and then have a bit of a howler before being shipped back off to the sevens. I remember he looked awesome at fullback coming on for Bernie, got a start the next week and was mince. That set him back a season or so before again looking brilliant at 13 before mysteriously not becoming a fixture. I still think we should be looking at him as a 13 with Dunbar at 12 but am coming round to the idea of him at 12, so long as he operates as a second receiver. It's a bit unfashionable to be doing that at the moment but it probably would help Toonie, given he was often that kind of player, and may even get Glasgow playing a bit of rugby more often.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:01 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:It is worrying that we seem not to be able to score freely without him - I suppose Edinburgh would be the same without Visser ?

That shouldn't be a question - that's a statement of truth. Without Visser Edinburgh would have been sunk this season.

Glasgow would cope better without DTH than Edinburgh would without Visser.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

Not sure where all this stuff is coming from about Lineen "mismanaging" Jackson.

Was it not Lineen that gave him sufficient opportunity at Glasgow in order to get him into the Scotland squad, despite the fact that Jackson has yet to string two convincing performances together in his career??

I agree that Colin Gregor should have had more opportunities at 9, and that Peter Horne could have been more involved, but then you have to look at the results achieved by Glasgow under Lineen. Please don't tell me developing players for Scotland comes ahead of results. He had a great record and did a great job. Not flawless by any means, and the tactics were a little on the stodgy side, but I suspect Glasgow's league position and HC effort will be inferior this season to that last season. I hope not, but that's my prediction.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7